Getting Rid of VHS Fansubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NewDebuJin

Getting Rid of VHS Fansubs

Post by NewDebuJin » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Hello everyone. I am getting rid of whats left of my Dragonball fansub collection, something I collected from around 1997 to 1999. I even had my own fansub trader site (Lord Freeza's Fansub Empire - yeah, name is awful, I was 16, it was hosted on AOL) that was linked on Anipike. I have the seven Funimation Dragon Boxes and space in my house is sparse so I've decided to part with these.

I've been aware of this site since EX started things back on the old AOL forums. I figured if anyone would be interested in these things, they would be here.

I saw most of Dragonball and DBZ this way long before it came to Cartoon Network in the early 2000s. And even when it came to CN, I would have friends wanting to borrow Cell saga stuff while CN was only dealing with Ginyu, for example. Some tapes were never returned, but I still have 64 here. Ultimately, I'd like these to go to someone who wants to perserve them.

As mentioned I have 64 Dragonball tapes here, most of it DBZ. The quality is all over the place - some regular Dragonball episodes are hard to watch because the quality is so bad, and most were copied in SLP, whereas some DBZ episodes look really good (for VHS). The subtitlers include Fuji TV, AniFan, AnimeLabs, S. Balderic / E. Monsoon, and others.

I have no idea what these are worth, if anything. If I get next to no offers, I'll even part with them for just the shipping. But I do need them gone asap. I do want to sell the lot as a whole so no individual tape sales.

Please PM with questions or concerns. I'd like to have a deal finalized by Wednesday so I can ship Thursday or Friday. U. S. only - sorry, I do not want to deal with customs for 64 VHS tapes.

Here's a list of the actual episodes, films, specials, etc. A picture is attached is linked.

Dragonball 16-65, 149-153 Movies 3-4

DBZ 1-89, 104-140, 144-155, 183-187, 200-207, 251-254, 257-260, 269-270, 276-291, Movies 1-7, 9-10, Trunks Special, Playdia OVA (OVA is not subbed)

DBGT 23-25, 42-47 (42-47 are not subbed, just original Japanese dialogue), Goku Junior Special

https://imgur.com/28Q6yZS

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Getting Rid of VHS Fansubs

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:41 pm

You sure you want to? That sounds like something with a lot of historical and sentimental value, and one or two boxes in a storage shed could probably cover them.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

NewDebuJin

Post by NewDebuJin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:41 pm You sure you want to? That sounds like something with a lot of historical and sentimental value, and one or two boxes in a storage shed could probably cover them.
Very sure - I've thought long about it and it makes sense to me. Would like to get it into the hands of someone who is planning to preserve them though since I recognize the historical value they have.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:11 pm

I would love to preserve those babies! I will send you a PM ASAP. ;)

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 am

I'm keeping all my Hawaii sourced tapes, some of which I have never watched (Henshin series mostly). Those are all OTA and in VHS SP. My older tapes were used by many as a basis to produce their own fully subbed versions or were enjoyed by a lot of people before some of the series got a real release (though many have not as of yet been released). So, the historical value alone is great. Plus people are always looking for bits and pieces of things that may (or may not) be on those tapes. If you give them away, you can't check them ever again. I'd make a copy if possible before you do that...

NewDebuJin

Post by NewDebuJin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi all,

I am still looking to get rid of these fansub VHS tapes. I thought I had an arrangement made for them, but it apparently has fallen through due to not hearing back from the interested party in over a week.

I have made some cell phone videos of clips from some of the tapes to give an idea of the quality. You can see those here. Please PM if you are interested with an offer. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/6E-3vjBsNiw

https://youtu.be/oiLYvj-MyD4

https://youtu.be/RMWK1m54ZoY

https://youtu.be/r7FDSeHpzeE

https://youtu.be/S8iF_Iqkdcg

https://youtu.be/e9NFs_mJWZo

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:02 pm

This is a very cool topic. If I ever decide to let my Toonami recordings go I may hit some of you guys up! It wouldn't be an easy task though considering I have well over 70 maybe 80 full broadcasts on VHS. For the longest times the dollar general would carry tapes and I would just buy em every time I went in there to just record Toonami haha I actually labeled mine with all the dates of when they released so it'd make it easier on me or someone else one day. I'd love to digitize them and mayyyyybe upload them somewhere but I don't think you can legally do that? So I just take care of them. 8)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:37 am

samuraix123 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:02 pm This is a very cool topic. If I ever decide to let my Toonami recordings go I may hit some of you guys up! It wouldn't be an easy task though considering I have well over 70 maybe 80 full broadcasts on VHS. For the longest times the dollar general would carry tapes and I would just buy em every time I went in there to just record Toonami haha I actually labeled mine with all the dates of when they released so it'd make it easier on me or someone else one day. I'd love to digitize them and mayyyyybe upload them somewhere but I don't think you can legally do that? So I just take care of them. 8)
Tapes, like all magnetic media deteriorate with time. I've already lost quite a few, including many prescious ones (at least to people on this forum) and tape baking attempts have so far been a failure. I dread to look at my old computer disc collection. Burned discs are also problematic with many having had their dyes fade even when sealed in cases and not exposed to light. But many are still okay. Don't leave anything too long before transferring it to a more stable medium or solution...

NewDebuJin

Post by NewDebuJin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi all,

The fansubs have been sold and are being shipped to a new home tomorrow morning.

I thought I'd post this update here for anyone coming to this thread late.

Thanks to everyone who expressed an interest in the tapes. I'm convinced that they will be preserved and taken care of at their new home.