All in all, are you happy the revival happened?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: All in all, are you happy the revival happened?

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 am

The revival of the franchise has afforded me some great opportunities! I've been to some cool places, some fun DB events, and made some really good friends from doing so! I've also experienced some hardship from it but I think I came out stronger for it! Some folks also think I've squandered my opportunity to make a lot of money from it, but that's really neither here nor there because there was a lot of other matters going on in my own life at the same time this whole revival thing happened.

I liked the new films because I got to feel nostalgia while at the same time experiencing new content at a pace that I enjoy. While I mostly saw them as "popcorn flicks" I do greatly enjoy the Broly film and Broly is a character that I actively disliked before the end of 2018. I understand and respect why some folks don't like the new films but the way I process Dragon Ball is different than how they process Dragon Ball so it's best that we just let each other do our own thing.

I haven't watched more than a few clips of the Heroes anime content, but it all feels supplementary to the actual process of buying trading cards and using them at specialized arcade machines in a Japanese game center. Getting overly wrapped up in the promotional anime is like playing a fighting game for its story. It's even sillier to look at when the folks I see getting wrapped up in it don't even have access to the products they're trying to promote.

The Dragon Ball Super TV anime started out as something I was entirely uninterested in. I was happy with a new movie coming out every two or three years and at the time this seemed to be subverting that idea entirely. Plus, the first two arcs were just the movies I enjoyed stretched really thin and animated in a huge crunch to get it on TV so the quality suffered. I do greatly enjoy the "slice of life" episodes, though! The later arcs were pretty fun but they didn't hook me in the way DBZ did because there was nothing else like DBZ in America back when it first hit my eyeballs. So, it wasn't life-changing but I did enjoy it for the most part as something to watch for 25 minutes before moving on with my day.

One good thing that's come from the TV anime, though, is that so many fans want to see it right away that they had to watch it in Japanese. People who previously just went along with "granny Goku" remarks without giving the Japanese version of Z a chance finally got to experience what Dragon Ball is actually like in its original language. This has created a new generation of Western fans who enjoy the Japanese version and I'm extremely happy about that.

I've always been a big fan of the Dragon Ball manga more than anything else. I will say that it starting out as a promo manga for a TV anime I didn't particularly enjoy at first really caused the manga to suffer at the beginning. Also, it seemed like Toyotaro was pressured to wrap up the Tournament of Power very quickly and that arc suffered in the manga as well. However, the latest arc actually has some room to breathe and it's been enjoyable to sit down and read once per month just to get a little dose of fun. All-in-all, I'm glad the new manga exists.

Also, DB fans are sleeping on the Jaco manga and I have very strong opinions about that.

The new games are neat. If we're counting Kai, my favorite revival game is Attack of the Saiyans. It's got some depth but it's also portable so I can just play it in short bursts between other things I might be doing. I really don't have the time and energy to become as competitive as the kids do when it comes to games like FighterZ even if it is a beautiful game. I enjoyed the XV games as well while they were new. If "Kakarot" were to make its way to the Switch I might pick it up there. I also played a lot of Dokkan Battle when I had a job where I mostly didn't have much to do, but dropped it after some things changed that killed the progress I made. I honestly just want a game like Zenkai Battle where I can sink in some pocket change and play a couple rounds without taking it too seriously. Maybe "Legends" can provide that for me or if you have to take it seriously to have fun.

All those things that people hate like "DB Minus" aren't really that big of a deal for me. I just read them and said, "Okay, cool. That was a thing."

Overall, I'm glad it happened. I don't take the content too overly seriously even if it was my inspiration to take martial arts seriously. I personally think that's the best way for me to look at it otherwise I might become as embittered as some of the folks who really take DB very seriously and I'd rather not be in that situation.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:04 am

Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 am Overall, I'm glad it happened. I don't take the content too overly seriously even if it was my inspiration to take martial arts seriously. I personally think that's the best way for me to look at it otherwise I might become as embittered as some of the folks who really take DB very seriously and I'd rather not be in that situation.
It's not bitterness, it's more like boredom and exhaustion.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am

Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 amIt's even sillier to look at when the folks I see getting wrapped up in it don't even have access to the products they're trying to promote.
Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 amthe way I process Dragon Ball is different than how they process Dragon Ball so it's best that we just let each other do our own thing.
Huh... Shouldn't you probably follow your own example? Not having access to something shouldn't stop those folks from enjoying it somehow.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am
Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 amIt's even sillier to look at when the folks I see getting wrapped up in it don't even have access to the products they're trying to promote.
Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 amthe way I process Dragon Ball is different than how they process Dragon Ball so it's best that we just let each other do our own thing.
Huh... Shouldn't you probably follow your own example? Not having access to something shouldn't stop those folks from enjoying it somehow.
I think it's silly to take the Heroes anime seriously but it's not like I go put of my way to try and stop them. We're both still just doing our own thing. What more do you want?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Well, since you asked: I would like you to provide a few examples of people taking the Heroes anime seriously. Up until this point, I could safely say virtually no one does that. Especially those who know that it is the arcade version what they should be looking at.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:04 pm

I'm happy it happened. For me I like the DBZ Kai first part but prefer the old DBZ dub for continuing after Cell was beaten. And I like some elements of DBS even though I initially thought it was stupid. And I LOVE the new Broly movie..
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.