All in all, are you happy the revival happened?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

All in all, are you happy the revival happened?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:07 pm

The general consensus from every other part of the Internet seems to be that stuff like Super is great and that there’s no better time to be a Dragon Ball fan. With that said, I can’t quite get as good a handle on this website’s overall stance on the post-revival era of Dragon Ball. Do people generally like it, do they hate it, are they indifferent to it, or what?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: All in all, are you happy the revival happened?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:25 pm

You'll very likely find the consensus here to be pretty mixed, if I had to wager a guess.

For my own part though? Heck yeah I'm happy it happened. I mean, sure, not everything that's come out of this new 'era' of DB is perfect, but that's true of material that came out of the original run as well. While I can't say that Dragon Ball needs to run indefinitely, I'm certainly not going to turn away new material while they're making it, especially not while they're still keeping Toriyama involved as much as they have been.

The new revival also seems to have helped the games get out of a bit of a rut as well. For years, we were stuck with games that just re-hashed the same old storylines again and again and again, but now we're starting to see a bit more of creativity get out there, from Xenoverse, to FighterZ, to Fusions (which still needs a sequel dammit!). I don't know for sure that that would have happened if we hadn't started getting new material.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm not happy but I'm not upset either.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Honestly? No, not really.

There were a few things I liked from the new movies and DBS, (I can probably count them on one finger)

Also the games that were likely made possible because of the revival I’m appreciative of but other than that I wish it never happened.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:30 pm

I am ULTRA HAPPY about it! It brought the great revival of Anime abroad that I always wanted. Before Dragon Ball Super I thought anime was done for on TV and as a phenomenon. I really dont watch Super, but I have liked the parts I've seen. And those two factors combined make me love Super. I cant wait for its TV Return.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:25 pm The new revival also seems to have helped the games get out of a bit of a rut as well. For years, we were stuck with games that just re-hashed the same old storylines again and again and again, but now we're starting to see a bit more of creativity get out there, from Xenoverse
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Okay but seriously, FighterZ was such an amazing game I agree and I'm glad it exists (plus it contributed Android 21!). I hope we see more of it in the future. I haven't played Fusions but it looked like a great time!

I haven't seen Super so I can't comment on that (outside of it looking... average). But for me the revival has contributed Z Kai's much-improved dub (which is also a much more accessible edit of the show for newcomers) and three really enjoyable movies, plus FighterZ of course. Ultimately it brought me into the franchise harder than I was the first time around and I now own the Full Colors (another controbution!) and the Kid Goku portion of the manga twice over!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:33 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:25 pm The new revival also seems to have helped the games get out of a bit of a rut as well. For years, we were stuck with games that just re-hashed the same old storylines again and again and again, but now we're starting to see a bit more of creativity get out there, from Xenoverse

Okay but seriously, FighterZ was such an amazing game I agree and I'm glad it exists (plus it contributed Android 21!). I hope we see more of it in the future. I haven't played Fusions but it looked like a great time!

I haven't seen Super so I can't comment on that (outside of it looking... average). But for me the revival has contributed Z Kai's much-improved dub (which is also a much more accessible edit of the show for newcomers) and three really enjoyable movies, plus FighterZ of course. Ultimately it brought me into the franchise harder than I was the first time around and I now own the Full Colors (another controbution!) and the Kid Goku portion of the manga twice over!
I don’t know if I’d count Kai as being part of the revival. Sure, we had things like the Jump special and Dragon Ball Online at that time, but Dragon Ball as a whole still sort of felt like a thing of the past, and Kai itself was just a condensed version of something we’d already seen before. I’d argue that the current Dragon Ball “Renaissance” didn’t truly start until BoG.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 pm

yeah, i definitely wouldn't count kai as a apart of the last couple movies/super era. obviously they aren't far apart in time, but if you look at where the franchise was at during kai, where it was headed, toriyama's involvement, etc, it is a pretty different era compared to all this new stuff.

anyway, i would be lying if i said i was. i enjoyed BoG quite a bit and thought it was a pretty good addition to the franchise, but everything else,,,,yeah man, not a fan.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:39 pm I don’t know if I’d count Kai as being part of the revival. Sure, we had things like the Jump special and Dragon Ball Online at that time, but Dragon Ball as a whole still sort of felt like a thing of the past, and Kai itself was just a condensed version of something we’d already seen before. I’d argue that the current Dragon Ball “Renaissance” didn’t truly start until BoG.
Fair enough, but I say we wouldn't have gotten BoG without Kai coming first.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 pm

I'd be happiest person on earth if revival happened, but only if its at least half as good as OG DB or Z or even GT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kai, Kai 2.0, Supa, etc....not my taste

As of now, I'm pretty content with DB & Z. Timeless classic series

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:07 pm

I generally quite like Super, but even putting aside subjective enjoyment of the new material, the circumstances surrounding it's western release encouraged a lot of people to give the Japanese version a chance, so that's a net positive no matter where you stand.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:28 pm

I probably wouldn't have stayed a fan if the revival didn't happen just as I was getting into the series, so yes. And honestly, even getting new content that we think isn't good has been really helpful in figuring out what parts of Dragon Ball we enjoy and work for us.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 am

No. I wish it hadn't happened. At worst, the material has been either painfully boring or actively harmful to the overall narrative. At BEST, it's an inoffensive diversion. That's not to say there haven't been things I have liked (BoG, Yamcha manga, Jaco). But at no point has it ever caused me to go, "Wow. That was so good that it makes all of this worth it," or, "Hot damn! That is so impactful that I can no longer imagine the DB universe without that addition." It all feels unnecessary. It has never managed to justify its own existence either by pushing the story forward in a meaningful way or by being extraordinarily entertaining. It's simply treading water, spinning its wheels, playing it safe and bland.

I should add that I find it interesting that DB and Star Wars have found themselves in the same boat. And I was wary of both of them. They both felt like unnecessary revivals. But while I have had plenty of problems with the new Star Wars movies, they have succeeded in causing me to utter or feel both of the above sentiments, which has been enough to cause me to forgive their faults. DB Super et al. has done nothing of the sort.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:14 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:07 pm The general consensus from every other part of the Internet seems to be that stuff like Super is great and that there’s no better time to be a Dragon Ball fan. With that said, I can’t quite get as good a handle on this website’s overall stance on the post-revival era of Dragon Ball. Do people generally like it, do they hate it, are they indifferent to it, or what?
In my opinion, Toriyama has completely lost it. DB Super is utter garbage and it should’ve never been made. Toei should focus more on properly remastering DB, DBZ, DBGT, rather than broadcasting sloppy animation and promoting dumb ideas like female Broly, Goku Black, Super Saiyan God Rose, Super Saiyan God Bluper Saiyan, Super Saiyan God Ultra Instinct (cough cough SSJ5 DBAF), etc. At least with DBGT they actually took risks and had a great musical score!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:30 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 am No. I wish it hadn't happened. At worst, the material has been either painfully boring or actively harmful to the overall narrative. At BEST, it's an inoffensive diversion. That's not to say there haven't been things I have liked (BoG, Yamcha manga, Jaco). But at no point has it ever caused me to go, "Wow. That was so good that it makes all of this worth it," or, "Hot damn! That is so impactful that I can no longer imagine the DB universe without that addition." It all feels unnecessary. It has never managed to justify its own existence either by pushing the story forward in a meaningful way or by being extraordinarily entertaining. It's simply treading water, spinning its wheels, playing it safe and bland.

I should add that I find it interesting that DB and Star Wars have found themselves in the same boat. And I was wary of both of them. They both felt like unnecessary revivals. But while I have had plenty of problems with the new Star Wars movies, they have succeeded in causing me to utter or feel both of the above sentiments, which has been enough to cause me to forgive their faults. DB Super et al. has done nothing of the sort.
^ This.

Dragon Ball / Z / GT had such an enormous impact on me as a kid (story, characters, music, etc.) Watching Goku struggle and become a Super Saiyan for the first time made the series 3D. Nowadays you have endless God transformations, clowns as Gods of other universes, etc.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:51 am

I haven't seen Broli. I have not even finished watching Super since I put it on hold during the ToP cause of how painfully boring it was. I am not following the currently ongoing manga and haven't done so in a long time or watched Heroes or played any of the new games that have come out and honestly I don't feel the need to. I just don't feel like I'm missing anything.

So, yeah I can't say I'm happy when I have pretty much lost interest in the whole franchise. Part of it is moving on from the franchise in general, but part of it is also because this revival era has just not been good at all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:39 am

Can anyone name any successful revivals?

BTW, thank you for calling it a revival and not a reboot. It bugs me when people mix up the two terms.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:00 am

ABED wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:51 pmI'm not happy but I'm not upset either.
Pretty much exactly this.

I'm certainly not offended by Super's existence (unlike Heroes, Episode of Bardock, and Minus, which are all godawful mistakes that never should've come into being) but I also am not in any way moved by it in the slightest and its the epitome of "more Dragon Ball solely just for the sake of having more Dragon Ball" despite the series being very, VERY conclusively done and over with for keeps since more than 20 years ago.

We didn't need this, it wasn't in any way necessary, I for one certainly never asked for nor wanted it, and now that its actually here its done almost nothing whatsoever to justify its existence nor has it really added a great deal much to the series' iconography that's been particularly worthwhile other than a stray concept or character or two here or there.

And while Super's latter "main" story arcs are at least more or less kinda watchable at a baseline level as purely disposable "in one eyeball and out the other" content, the two "movie recap arcs" that precede them are hands down easily some of the single most impossible to sit through toxic waste-level shit that the core anime franchise has EVER produced, hands down no contest (not counting peripheral stuff like Episode of Bardock and Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which are themselves even leagues worse than Super's recap arcs).

Overall, Dragon Ball Super - and the whole revival in general along with it - is effectively the anime equivalent of an irritating stomach ache from having eaten one bag of chips too many. Even if its your favorite ever brand of potato chips and you still love the taste, eating too many of them still isn't good for you and the stomach ache that inevitably results still sucks all the same.

The one and only TRULY wonderful thing that's come out of all of this (and I'm not even entirely 100% sure if we mainly have the revival itself to thank for it, since its not like we ever stopped getting Dragon Ball games at any point, even during the 20 years of total franchise dormancy) has of course been FighterZ, which is easily and without question the single greatest, most mechanically rich Dragon Ball video game ever made by quantum leaps and bounds. Its not even close to a contest and only a smattering, select few before it can even VAGUELY begin to even PRETEND to compete with it (and no, not a single one of them contain the words "Tenkaichi" or "Budokai" in the title).

By that same token....
KBABZ wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:33 pm
Seconding KBABZ's sentiment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xenoverse is garbage both mechanically and "narratively" with gameplay that's just as shallow and dull as Sparking/Raging Blast and an "original story" that's just as cringingly dumb and brain damaged as Heroes, making for a "worst of all worlds" concoction.

The one thing about it that is genuinely cool is the idea of not simply just making an original character, but being able to have that character train under other Dragon Ball characters from throughout the series and learn their various fighting techniques and potentially customize your own unique fighting style from it: but its just the concept on paper that's cool, and certainly not the execution as it's actually handled and implemented within the game itself, where such a boundlessly interesting concept isn't explored with nearly the level of depth and customization that it cries out for (not to mention the fact that its in service of a core game that is, in itself, largely absolute crap to begin with).

FighterZ's "original story" is itself also great big pile of dumbfuck whatever; but if you're playing it (or almost ANY fighting game for that matter) mainly for the story, then you're basically missing the point entirely and are playing it for exactly the wrong reasons (akin to watching porn mainly for the acting quality).

In the overall summation, the revival has largely been anywhere from "meh" at best (BoG, some moments in RoF, and stretches of Super), to absolute brain cell-murdering cringe at worst (Heroes, Xenoverse, Super's recap arcs and "slice of life" episodes, the majority of RoF, and literally anything to do with bringing back Bardock), with one notably standout masterful, franchise-best video game (FighterZ) emerging from the wreckage.

Oh, and if we're going to count either Kai or the JSAT special as part of the revival (which is itself debatable) then I'm going to break from the broader consensus and vote that the both of them be placed 100% squarely within the "total and absolute dog crap" end of the spectrum.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:22 am

I am.
Battle of Gods is such a wonderful addition to the franchise, that I can’t think of a Dragon Ball without it.
Resurrection F is a story I still appreciate and find entertaining, despite the extremely bland direction, storyboard and art style from Yamamuro certainly not helping the movie.
The latest movie continues the trend of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, with it being an enjoyable movie, with some flaws that do not detract from the enjoyment of it and is overall very inoffensive and fun to watch.
Toriyama’s movies, while not being perfect, at least have that Dragon Ball charm to them, with everyone always being in character and with the fanservice not being way too cheesy.

As for Dragon Ball Super, the retellings should have never happened. And its main downfall has been the terribly broken schedule it had. Had they waited a bit more before releasing it and had they skipped the retellings to jump straight into new material, I don’t think the show would have the reputation it has right now.
But I am also grateful to Super because I actually enjoyed the new stories it brought us. Surely they were not perfect, and they tried a bit too much to bank onto nostalgia at times, but I was always hyped for the new episodes and now that it’s not on air anymore I miss it dearly.

I also love many of the new characters this revival has brought us, and I absolutely love Ultra Instinct and consider it to be the best new form since the first Super Saiyan.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 am

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:39 am BTW, thank you for calling it a revival and not a reboot. It bugs me when people mix up the two terms.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. That has been a huge pet peeve of mine. And it's not just for revivals. It's also used in place of any remake, sequel, spinoff... everything! It drives me up the wall! Why do we even have words? "Reboot" as used in a narrative/franchise context was such a stroke of genius with such a specific meaning that it's so disheartening that it basically has no meaning anymore.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage