DragonBall should do more with politics

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: DragonBall should do more with politics

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:25 pm The system is still very much designed to keep blacks at a disadvantage which is why we have so much problems dealing with the law.

The cases with Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner are proof of this.
I'm not sure how those cases relate to the Saiyans being cold-blooded killers. Nor would I describe those cases as "Blacks having problems dealing with the law". But that is a whole other discussion.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:25 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:10 pm It was very much a "legitimate" business in the sense that you are trading value for value. I'm sure there are arguments that could be made against the legitimacy of the slave trade, but I don't think they apply here.
In that case, the Planet Trade Organization is a "legitimate" business as they were trading value for value.
Except that they weren't. Unlike with the slave trade, there were no agreements made, nor did both sides benefit, because there was no trade. Freeza's empire used genocide and strong-arm tactics to take those planets away from its' peoples. The only trading was with those peoples and planets who were in the market for other planets.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm I'm not sure how those cases relate to the Saiyans being cold-blooded killers. Nor would I describe those cases as "Blacks having problems dealing with the law". But that is a whole other discussion.
The point is Saiyans being evil space pirates was more of a result of their environment and culture rather than them just naturally being that way. Goku and Vegeta (by the near end of Z) are proof that Saiyans can be good people under the right circumstances.

The Saiyans are like vikings. They are simply more incline to "fight" and since nobody was around to set them straight (till Freeza who used them for his own benefit), they become bloodthirsty savages.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Except that as a species they are literally made for battle. It is in them. It's not their environment. And culture is chosen. They fully embraced the life of genocidal land sharks. Goku and Vegeta to a lesser extent is proof they have free will, but in 99.999999999% of cases they chose... poorly.

They were bloodthirsty savages prior to meeting Freeza. It's why he used them. Are you paying attention to the story?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm Are you paying attention to the story?
Yes. But you're not even refuting my points. You're essentially agreeing with me now.

Saiyan are naturally inclined to fight but up till Freeza, they were pretty much left to their own devises.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pm Are you paying attention to the story?
Yes. But you're not even refuting my points. You're essentially agreeing with me now.

Saiyan are naturally inclined to fight but up till Freeza, they were pretty much left to their own devises.
What evidence do you have for either of those statements?

Being born into an evil culture doesn't absolve them of being evil bastards.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pmAnd culture is chosen. They fully embraced the life of genocidal land sharks. Goku and Vegeta to a lesser extent is proof they have free will, but in 99.999999999% of cases they chose... poorly.
I'm not sure how anyone can choose the culture that they are born into. The brain is shaped and molded from a very young age by the society and culture surrounding it. Free will doesn't mean much when you have been raised to become genocidal maniacs. Goku isn't proof of anything because he wasn't raised in the Saiyan culture, and the only reason Vegeta changed is because he fought alongside Goku and co. living on Earth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 pmAnd culture is chosen. They fully embraced the life of genocidal land sharks. Goku and Vegeta to a lesser extent is proof they have free will, but in 99.999999999% of cases they chose... poorly.
I'm not sure how anyone can choose the culture that they are born into. The brain is shaped and molded from a very young age by the society and culture surrounding it. Free will doesn't mean much when you have been raised to become genocidal maniacs. Goku isn't proof of anything because he wasn't raised in the Saiyan culture, and the only reason Vegeta changed is because he fought alongside Goku and co. living on Earth.
You don't choose the culture your born into but culture includes beliefs and ideas, which are very much chosen even if by default. The choice to not think and just accept is still a choice. Sure, we are in PART a byproduct of our society and culture but it's not the sole determinant.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:25 pmIt's not. The system is still very much designed to keep blacks at a disadvantage which is why we have so much problems dealing with the law.

The cases with Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner are proof of this.
It was a racist statement and you're backpedaling with your response. Your statement pretty much communicated the idea that black people are inherently self-destructive. When you got called on it, you tried to backpedal using social justice concerns that in no way justify the original statement.