Dubs that have been aired by more than 1 country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Dubs that have been aired by more than 1 country

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:01 am

The English dub and the Latin American one are definitely on the list but I also want to know the countries where these dubs have been aired.

I would like to know the same thing about other Dragon Ball dubs around the world and the original Japanese version.
Last edited by TheRed259 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Dubs that have been used in more than 1 country

Post by Xeogran » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:38 am

French and Japanese ones were used in Poland, we had a lector reading over the voices. Funny thing is the dialogue was in French, but screams and some minor words (like 'kisama', 'onore') were kept in Japanese.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Dubs that have been aired by more than 1 country

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 am

I changed the title of the topic from Dubs that have been used... to Dubs that have been aired... so that people won't get confused and start mentioning countries that their dub was used as a basis for another country's dub since this is not what I am looking for.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:50 am

Canada, the UK, and I think Germany all aired the English Dub of DB/Z/GT done in Vancouver and Calgary that was produced by the French company AB Groupe.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 am

Besides airing in France, the French AB dub also aired in Belgium, Burkina Faso, Canada, Ivory Coast, Niger and Senegal.

The Serbian Ultra TV dub was also aired in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and North Macedonia.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:50 am Canada, the UK, and I think Germany all aired the English Dub of DB/Z/GT done in Vancouver and Calgary that was produced by the French company AB Groupe.
I have heard that Netherlands aired the Ocean dub as well (with Dutch subs). Let's see if someone else knows more about Germany that you mentioned and if they really aired the Ocean dub or not.

Tian wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 am Besides airing in France, the French AB dub also aired in Belgium, Burkina Faso, Canada, Ivory Coast, Niger and Senegal.
Good. The French dub was also aired in Algeria. Do you happen to know if this dub has ever aired in Luxembourg?

Tian wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 am The Serbian Ultra TV dub was also aired in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and North Macedonia.
Cool. Do you have any link regarding this?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 am

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am Good. The French dub was also aired in Algeria. Do you happen to know if this dub has ever aired in Luxembourg?
No idea, sorry...
TheRed259 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am Cool. Do you have any link regarding this?
I have no links but from what I know, Ultra TV was available in those countries through some satellite providers since its start in 2008 until its closure this year.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 am

I grew up watching German TV channels in the 90's and as far as I'm aware, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were only dubbed and shown in German language. I watched a ton of anime on those German channels and all were dubbed in German.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Tian wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 amI have no links but from what I know, Ultra TV was available in those countries through some satellite providers since its start in 2008 until its closure this year.
Cool, thanks for the info but I am less interested in satellites TV channels since that way every dub can theoretically air almost everywhere. I have read that even the Greek DBZ dub was aired by ANT1 Pacific or ANT1 Satellite in other countries some years ago when DBZ wasn't even running in Greece anymore. Smile TV is also available to some countries via satellite as well.

The only country apart from Greece that aired/airs the Greek dub without the need of a satellite TV is Cyprus.

Jaetinh wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 am I grew up watching German TV channels in the 90's and as far as I'm aware, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were only dubbed and shown in German language. I watched a ton of anime on those German channels and all were dubbed in German.
So the info mentioned above could be wrong.

Any idea about the Arabic dub for example and where it was aired?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Japanese version aired in USA.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:20 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:17 pm
Kid Buu wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:11 pm Japanese version aired in USA.
In which TV channel?
The Original Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z aired in America on the International Channel, from 1997-2002. Somebody who watched the show then during that time could probably give better information on it than me, not being around back then.

Jeez, I haven't posted here since May...

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:32 pm

The Japanese version also aired on Nippon Golden Network in Hawaii. The original series the first third of Z were subbed, but the latter parts and GT had no translation.
The Japanese version of Z also aired on Pearl TV in Hong Kong with English subs.

The Latin American Spanish dub aired on Telemundo in the US until the Cell Saga, where it was taken off. May have had to do with NBC buying the network and removing all acquired programming.

Some Pan-African satellite channel (Star TV?) once aired the original Dragon Ball in a Mandarin dub with English subtitles. According to Kei, it was an obscure dub from Mainland China.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 am

I know I'm a few days behind some of these other responses, but some of the wiki research I had been doing ties in here:

I can say with certainty that Nippon Golden Network began airing the original Dragon Ball television series in January 1992. They moved on to Dragon Ball Z sometime in late 1994. They ran through a little over 100 episodes, which took them into 1995... which just so happened to align with FUNimation's work on the franchise. NGN's work on the series was fully subtitled in English in a pretty iconic yellow-with-black-border style.

The International Channel ran Dragon Ball Z in raw Japanese from late 1997 to completion in November 2002. They immediately followed it up the very next week (just like in Japan!) with raw Japanese Dragon Ball GT, which ran to completion in early 2004.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JamesDaSpaghettiTaco

Post by JamesDaSpaghettiTaco » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:12 am

This one's more like laziness than airing of a different dub but you could say that Japanese Db aired in Cyprus. So basically when Smile TV was airing the Greek Dub of Db they used Dragon Box video but the Greek Dub had removed scenes, so instead of cutting the scenes on the video, they keep them in and add the Japanese voices. Its honestly hilarious

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:35 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:50 am Canada, the UK, and I think Germany all aired the English Dub of DB/Z/GT done in Vancouver and Calgary that was produced by the French company AB Groupe.
It was not produced by AB Groupe, they merely distributed it in Europe. It was produced by Westwood Media in Canada, who were a production arm of Ocean, but who no longer exist.

Many are confused about this and, because a cursory googling instead turns up a "Westwood" studio in Vancouver, they assume it was recorded at Westwood and produced by AB. This is not the case. In fact, Z was recorded at AirWaves Sound in Vancouver, while DB and GT were recorded at Blue Water in Calgary.

I don't know about Germany airing it, but Australia and the USA were the only countries to stick with Funimation's dubs; every other country that aired Dragon Ball in English chose Ocean's dubs instead. (Though Canada made the switch-over 60 episodes later than everywhere else)
TheRed259 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am I have heard that Netherlands aired the Ocean dub as well (with Dutch subs). Let's see if someone else knows more about Germany that you mentioned and if they really aired the Ocean dub or not.
Yes, it did air in the Netherlands.

Interestingly, since Funi's dubs aired in the US and Australia, and the Westwood dubs aired everywhere else, both of the really well-known English dubs of the pre-Kai anime aired in more than one country, as did Funi's Kai 1.0 (it aired in the UK in about 2011-2013) and Funi's Super (airing in the UK on Pop right now).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.