Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Series (2019 Edition) ROUND 2/3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Series (2019 Edition)

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm

1. Dragon Ball / DBZ
2. Kai
3. GT
4. Super
5. Heroes

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm

1. Dragon Ball- The only series I consistently rewatch

2. Dragon Ball Z- Tis fine

3. Dragon Ball Kai- It’s Dragon Ball Z with worse music and half the content removed. It’s hardly its own thing but a “Special Edition”

4. Dragon Ball GT- Some cool ideas I suppose

5. Dragon Ball Super- My god is the animation fugly

6. Dragon Ball Heroes- Hardly a show

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 pm

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the people who are ranking Super at or near the bottom stopped watching it after the movie recap arcs.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 pm I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the people who are ranking Super at or near the bottom stopped watching it after the movie recap arcs.
Nah. I think most people hated the recap arcs, but the fact they were recaps meant they were easily forgiven by a lot of people. It was how shit the rest of the show was that's put so many people off.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 pm

db
dbz
kai
super
gt

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:57 pm

1) Dragon Ball 2) Z Jap/Kai Eng 3) Super 4) GT

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:07 pm

1. Dragon Ball TV Series (1986-1989)
2. Dragon Ball Z TV Series (1989-1996)
3. Dragon Ball Kai TV Series [1-167] (2009-2011, 2014-2015)
4. Dragon Ball Super TV Series (2015-2019)
5. Dragon Ball GT TV Series (1996-1997)
6. Super Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime (2018-present)
  • Dragon Ball wins out not only because that portion of the series is the most well-written but also because it's the best adaptation in animation form. While it's pacing isn't actually much faster than Dragon Ball Z's, its filler is way more enjoyable and actually enhances the story for the most parts. The Red Ribbon Army arc (which is the weak link of the original manga) is the only time it felt padded out.
  • Despite its problems (fights going on for longer than necessary, filler is a mixed bag, animation hiccups, etc.), DBZ has a special place in my heart and I still enjoy watching it very much even to this day. The overall art/animation quality is amazing for its time and length, the filler when it's good is really good, and the soundtrack (Japanese, of course) is at its best here.
  • Dragon Ball Kai is a very commendable premise as it serves as a more streamlined version of the Z anime but it just seems like a half-baked product as it uses the same old animation and its cuts feel lazy especially in later arcs. Also the voice acting and soundtrack (Japanese, of course) isn't as good.
  • Oh Dragon Ball Super, what an underwhelming series you are. Of course I never high hopes for Super to begin with but being a direct continuation one of the most popular and influential anime/manga of all time, I feel we deserve better than lazy plotlines, flanderized and nonexistent characterization, cheap and rushed art/animation, and disappointing fighting scenes. Super certainly has its moments but you'd have to deal with a lot of mediocrity just to get to them.
  • Of course, Super is still a step up from Dragon Ball GT which actually had the potential to be something great but just squanders it due to a lack of identity and true understanding of what makes Dragon Ball work. The villains suck, most of its plotlines are just rehashes of previous ones, the "fight" scenes have next to no real choreography, and every character except for Goku is useless. GT does pick up towards the end but by then, it was too late for the series to redeem itself.
  • Super Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime is a blatant half-hour commercial so it sucks sweaty Oozaru nuts.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:09 pm

6. Lists
5. Like
4. These
3. Are
2. Pointless
1. Dragon Ball
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 pm I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the people who are ranking Super at or near the bottom stopped watching it after the movie recap arcs.
I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the people who are ranking GT at or near the bottom stopped watching it after the Black Star Dragon Balls arc.

Just sayin. My version is much more common issue in community.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:52 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:13 pm
I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the people who are ranking GT at or near the bottom stopped watching it after the Black Star Dragon Balls arc.

I've seen all of it except for the movie.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:52 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:13 pm

I've seen all of it except for the movie.
I didn't mean you but some of the fans in general. I very often see people hating GT with huge lacks in knowledge. I even see many people who hate on GT simply by watching fragments on youtube. It's easy to tell such person didn't watch entire series when they ask about things explained in other episodes. While there is obviously nothing wrong in asking for answers itself, it's wrong when someone hate the series at the same time. For example people saying things like "GT sucks, #17 became a good guy in Z but here i see him fight Goku".

Anyway, i recommend you to watch this TV special (not really a movie) someday. It's very unique experience different from GT or other series in general.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:35 pm

- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball Super
- Dragon Ball Kai/Final Chapters
- Dragon Ball GT
- Dragon Ball Heroes

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Series (2019 Edition) ROUND 2/3

Post by simtek34 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:35 pm

With the thread going stagnant for a week, I have decided to start Round 2. If you remember how I did it back in 2016, the top 4 Highest-Rated series will be put in a 1-on-1 bracket to go down to the final two series, and Round 3 will start some time after that. In the meantime, here are the updated results.

Dragon Ball: 14

Dragon Ball Z: 7

Dragon Ball GT: 0

Dragon Ball Kai: 6

Dragon Ball Super: 1

Super Dragon Ball Heroes: 0

So that means it's time for Round 2 to finally start! Heroes and GT have been eliminated, leaving the last four to be DB, Z, Kai, and Super. The Round will follow like this.

Bracket 1:
DRAGON BALL vs DRAGON BALL SUPER

Bracket 2:
DRAGON BALL Z vs DRAGON BALL KAI The same show?!

My winners would have to be Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Kai, for the reasons that I have already stated back in the OP of the thread.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:44 am

DB and Z for me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:01 am

lol, I decide to get off my butt and Round 2 has begun, OOPS! It's okay though, it wound up being pretty much how I wanted it with OG DB being the clear winner, haha.

The first bracket is no contest, Dragon Ball wins for sure.

In the fight of DBZ vs Kai, my vote goes to Kai because it's much easier to sit through, and as someone who primarily consumes the dub but has massive respect for authenticity, Kai is much more relevant. And bearable. If this was "which would you put up for film preservation" however the answer would be different.

Below are my thoughts on each series as if this were still Round 1:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Dragon Ball vs Dragon Ball Super

As much as I hate to contribute to Super's elimination, it has to be:

Dragon Ball

It's just the better show between the two of them. It contains, in my opinion, the best storytelling in the franchise, and lacks the reliance on powerups later series would have.

Dragon Ball Z vs Dragon Ball (Z) Kai

This one is less cut and dry, and a bit difficult, as in many ways they are the same thing. So it ultimately comes down to which is the better way to experience that part of the story. And I have to go with:

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai

Z has a few things going for it, the score for instance, but the pacing makes it borderline unwatchable for me personally. So, Kai wins this one.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Dragon Ball vs. Dragon Ball Super

Dragon Ball, no contest.

Dragon Ball Z vs. Dragon Ball Kai

This one is a bit harder to say because they're both basically the same show only the latter trims the fat but I'll have to say Z. Better voice work, better soundtrack, no crummy-looking 'new' art/animation clashing with old art/animation, some good filler, and better atmosphere.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 pm

DB vs Super

Dragon Ball, easily.

Z vs Kai

Z, easily.
Yes, Kai has a nicer Freeza arc, and a better dub. Z is the superior watching experience, so Z all the way.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Mark me down for OG DB and Kai for this round! Already explained why earlier in the thread. Still like Z and Super, but DB is much better than Super and Kai is the more engaging way to watch the Z story IMO.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Super and Kai.