Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Series (2019 Edition) ROUND 2/3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Series (2019 Edition) ROUND 2/3

Post by simtek34 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:33 pm

EDIT 11/17/2019: Click HERE to go to the start of Round 2

Since I'm starting to come back to the Forum more after a five-ish month break, I decided to do another one of one of my most successful threads here from 2016, where all of the main Anime Series were put up against each other in a Elimination, followed by bracket tournament to see which series the Forum preferred. And along with the end of Super, start of the Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime, and much forum-goer turnover, wether it be new users, retired users, or banned users, it would be nice to see how things currently stand up here. Giving write ups on your choices is recommended for the Preliminary Rankings, and will not be needed once the bracket starts.

The way it works is that for the first round, we each rank them all in order from Favorite to Least Favorite, and then after a few days or a few pages, depending on the amount of votes received, the next round will start, where we go into a place where the Top 4 are placed in head to head versus. Round 3 will be in a similar fashion with the last 2 series remaining. After that, the last one standing will be crowned the winner.

If you want to see how the 2016 Tournament went, here is a link to the original "Kanzenshuu Members Favorite Series" thread.

The options to vote from will be a little bit different from last time. For this, Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters have been merged into one Dragon Ball Kai. That was a complaint from the last one, with people criticizing the decision of it back then.
Also, with that, I have decided to add the on-going Super Dragon Ball Heroes promotional anime to fill the spot of DBK:TFC, despite it (or the current arc, depending on if it ends after that) not being complete, but Super wasn't anywhere being complete the first time I did this, so oh well then.

Here are the options then...
And to be the first one, and the OP, here are my rankings.

1. Dragon Ball - What can I say? It's where everything began, and it is my obvious personal favorite part of the Dragon Ball franchise. A great mix of comedy, serious moments, fighting, and has lots of the Kid version of Son Goku, which is always a plus. Also, the 23rd Budokai is one of the best moments in the series.

2. Dragon Ball Kai - My preferred way of watching the Saiyan-Boo arcs of Dragon Ball. It's quick, right to the point, and has an orderly amount of episodes to be watched. Also, a much-improved dub on the English side, while the Japanese side being mostly the same, a few casting changes and performance differences here and there, it at least is in better audio quality than the available (legal) Home Releases of Z.

3. Dragon Ball Z - Despite already ranking Kai above, it is still good for what it is. Yes, it can majorly drag most of the time, but there were some good filler moments, such as Gohan's adventures during the Saiyan conflict preparation, and the Afterlife Budokai. The only thing that I greatly miss is the full Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtrack.

4. Dragon Ball GT - Ok, now here is where things fall off for the series. I personally don't hate GT. It has it's ups and it's downs. The Dark Dragon Ball arc was a shallow imitation of the original Son Goku arc from the original anime, the Baby arc was a decent batch of episodes (but that might be nostalgia talking, haven't seen it in years since it was on TV.), I wouldn't even classify the Super 17 arc as anything than a five episode time waster, and the Evil Dragon arc, as almost every Dragon Ball fan says, is a Great concept, but fell horrible in excecution.

5. Dragon Ball Super - Uggh... While not horrible, Dragon Ball Super has many problems that can't go unmentioned. First, and a common complaint, the retellings of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods and Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' were completely unneeded. While a few nice things were added, such as the slice-of-life episodes in-between and before the arcs, the actual retellings themselves were a waste of time. That is why I personally consider Super to have only 105 episodes. 1, 2, and 28-131, counting 109/110 as one episode. The Champa arc was a nice "real" start to Super, the Trunks arc was amazing when I first saw it, but in retrospect, wasn't all it cracked up to be while it was new. And the Universe Survival arc, that dragged on way longer than it had to. Most of the recruiting, member searching, and Universe peeks could have been done in WAY less that 20 episodes. And the actual tournament itself, I know people joke about the original Goku versus Freeze battle being 5 minutes, but there should be more on the ToP being 48 minutes. All of it could be fitted in less than the 34/35 episodes it took easily. But with episodes dedicated to minor fights and dragging out good ones, it really brings down my appreciation of Super as a whole. If Super were to come back or a different DB Anime takes it's place, I would rather they adopt the Seasonal format of either 13 or 26 episode seasons, so things like the ToP don't happen.

6. Super Dragon Ball Heroes - I only watched the first two episodes back in 2018, so I don't have as much of a knowing for this series as any of the rest. From what I saw and what I know of what comes up later, it seems to be full of Fanservice and everybody being able to transform. It seems not for me. If I want to know about the Time Patrol, Fu or whatever, I I'd play Xenoverse or World Mission, not watch 10 minute commercials for a Card Game that I would have no means of playing.

Huh, how fitting that my big return post is my longest post ever on these Boards. Goddamnit Super...
Last edited by simtek34 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Series (2019 Edition)

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:58 pm

1. Dragonball
2. Dragonball Super
3. Dragonball Z
4. Dragonball Kai
5. Super Dragonball Heroes
6. Dragonball GT
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:02 am

I can't tell you a certain order of my favorite series as I always try to like (whatever there is more than one) something equally. Though I reckon and probably think Dragon Ball Super may be below all the series mentioned here. I would watch Dragon Ball Kai over Dragon Ball Z for the sake of time and patience. And I don't know if I consider the Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime. I mean, since unfortunately it is not a full-fledged series, I only watch it to see the differences between it and the actual events in the arcade, though it is a great pleasure to see some elements that I have been waiting to see for so long on-screen thanks to it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 am

1. Dragon Ball Z
2. Dragon Ball
3. Dragon Ball Super
4. Dragon Ball GT

No more.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 am

1-DBZ
2-DB
3-DB GT
4-Super

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:17 am

1. Dragon Ball
2.Dragon Ball Z
3. Dragon Ball Kai
4. Dragon Ball GT
5. Dragon Ball Super
6. Dragon Ball Kai The Final Chapters
7.Super Dragon Ball Heroes
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 am

1. Dragon Ball (Z) Kai- English

2. Dragon Ball (Z) Kai- Japanese

3. Dragon Ball

4. Dragon Ball Z

5. Dragon Ball Super

6. Dragon Ball GT (Mixed on it per arc by arc basis, i like some more than others)
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 am

1. DBZ

2. DBGT

3. DB

4. DBS

5. DBH

6. DBK

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:46 pm

1) Dragon Ball (Z) Kai
2) Dragon Ball
3) Dragon Ball Super
4) Dragon Ball Z
4) Super Dragon Ball Heros
5) Dragon Ball GT

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:15 pm

1) Dragon Ball Super
2) Dragon Ball Z Kai
3) Dragon Ball Z
4) Dragon Ball
5) Super Dragon Ball Heroes
6) Dragon Ball GT

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:59 pm

1) Dragon Ball
2) Dragon Ball GT
3) Dragon Ball Z
4) Dragon Ball Kai
5) Super Dragon Ball Heroes
6) Dragon Ball Super
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:15 pm

1) Dragon Ball
2) Dragon Ball Super
3) Dragon Ball (Z) Kai
4) Dragon Ball GT
5) Dragon Ball Z
6) Super Dragon Ball Heroes
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:52 pm

1. Dragon Ball - The most consistently good of all the anime series. It doesn’t really have any big lows, but it does have some very good highs. The tournament arcs are all great, and the rest isn’t too far behind.

2. Dragon Ball Z - Many people like to claim that the original Dragon Ball is far and away better than Z. While I think DB is better than Z, the difference between them isn’t nearly as big as some people make it seem. Z has many great moments and characters and is iconic for a reason.

3. Dragon Ball Super - Super was a very “meh” show overall. It had great slice of life moments, some good new characters, and fun ideas. At this point it’s safe to say that modern Dragon Ball will never touch the quality of the original series, but if they can put out stuff like “DBS Broly” every now and then, I will be satisfied.

4. Dragon Ball GT - I’m not much of a fan of GT. It’s often labeled as a show with “great ideas, poor execution,” but I think a lot of its ideas are bad. I was never a fan of the Super 17 arc or the Black Star Dragon Balls.

5. Dragon Ball Kai - I’ve always thought Kai was unnecessary. I’m not a fan of the English dub anymore, and the Japanese cast is nowhere near as good as they were in Z. The lack of well placed Kikuchi music and the removal of some fun filler also hurts Kai. It’s such a “nothing” show to me.

6. Super Dragon Ball Heroes - I guess if I have to rank it, I’ll give it the bottom spot. It’s poorly animated (except for that one Shida scene), nonsensical, and boring. Dragon Ball shouldn’t be this boring.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:22 am

1. Dragon Ball Kai
This series did so much for me as a fan, bringing me back into the series after being a "just plays the games" fan for so long and formally introducing me to the Japanese cast in context with the series itself (I had only heard them in games up to that point). The reduced filler and new dub also gave me a much more digestible way to enjoy the show with friends and family. Yes, Kai has problems. The music is hit or miss, the redrawn scenes don't often work, and it took a while for Toei to hit their stride in how they cut things. Boo comes with its own set of issues. However, I still love Kai all the same. Yes, even the Boo arc. It's my favorite way to enjoy the Z material, and I owe my revitalized love of the series to it.

2. Dragon Ball
What can I say? This show is simply a delight to watch. The story, characters, animation, music, Japanese voice cast, and Toriyama's humor all land for me. I mean, I'll concede that some of the jokes have aged like curdled milk, but the good parts of the show still shine through regardless. While I wish the pacing were a little better in places, for the most part the filler doesn't impede my enjoyment that much. I just wish we had a better dub of this material, because it absolutely deserves it.

3. Dragon Ball Z
While I definitely prefer Kai to Z, I still think Z is a great show. The music and Japanese voice cast are top-notch, and that alone makes it a worthwhile watch at least once (in Japanese). Still, the pacing really drags in places, making this version of the material hard to watch at times. Consequently, Kai is more appealing to me. Still, I won't knock anyone for liking Japanese Z over Kai. I think you're getting a good show either way.

4. Dragon Ball Super
As far as unnecessary sequels go, I think Super is a mostly enjoyable one. Granted, I give Super a lot of free passes based on its moments of exciting action spectacle and strong humor. The writing has many interesting concepts that aren't explored nearly as well as they should be, and placing it in that ten year time gap really limits what the story can do. The rough start also hurts the show. The movie retellings mostly look like ass and shouldn't exist. Redundantly redundant, indeed. The first Tournament feels a little pointless now even if it had fun bits here and there. The Black arc was so amazing even if it stumbled in places, but it royally shit the bed in the end. Still, as dumb an idea as "Evil Goku" is, I'm impressed the show managed to make it work as well as if did. The Tournament of Power has some of the best action spectacle in the entire franchise and had some neat ideas, but was way too unevenly paced and written. The in between stuff was almost always funny and amazing, almost worth the price of admission itself. I was also mostly happy with the dub, even if it's a step down from Kai. At the end of the day, I didn't really need a brand new show. All I wanted was for Kai to finish; anything else was just a bonus. But since Suoer exists, I don't mind that it's here (aside from the movie retellings). It's a mostly fun if bumpy ride with characters I love, and that's enough for me to give it a thumbs up.

5. Dragon Ball GT
GT is a show that isn't nearly as bad as its reputation but still isn't what I'd call "good," either. It has a handful of high highs in a sea of incredibly okay to bad stuff. At the risk of sounding like a parrot, "good ideas, bad execution" is the name of the game. The Grand Tour was painfully boring to me and the Evil Dragons didn't really come off as interesting or threatening until the lava guy came in. The visuals have a sort of a melancholy feel to them - I want to say I remember a lot of cool colors. On the one hand, it's a nice change of pace. On the other, it doesn't really feel DB. Same with the music - while Tokunaga's score is really nice, it feels more like a JRPG score than a DB score. I'd say that even Sumitomo manages to feel more like DB. Overall, GT is an interesting curiosity that's worth a watch, but I can't say I prefer it to the new stuff.

6. Super Dragon Ball Heroes
What are we doing here? It's a toy commercial. Um... it has nice music? I like hearing the cast again? That one episode looked nice? The episodes are short and infrequent enough to not feel like a chore? That's all I got.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:55 am

1) Dragon Ball Z
2) Dragon Ball
(this two are far from the rest)

3) Dragon Ball Super
4) Dragon Ball GT
5) Dragon Ball Kai
6) Super Dragon Ball Heroes

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:23 pm

1. DBZ - Sub
2. Kai -Dub
3. Super
4. DB

5.GT

6.Heroes
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 am

1. Kai (not a fan of random redraws, but in general, I love it)
2. DBZ
3. DB
4. Super/GT (I like them pretty much the same)

5. Kai TFC (tons of filler, widescreen, weird tint, lousy remastering)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:35 pm

1) Dragon Ball Kai

Mostly for the convinience of saving time.

2) Dragon Ball Z

4) Dragon Ball Super

5) Dragon Ball & GT

Mainly because I watched too little of the first anime and GT.

6) Dragon Ball Heroes

Just pure nonsense with little substance.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:58 am

1. Dragon Ball Z - I love the kikuchi score, I love the performances, I can live with the often abysmal pacing.
2. Dragon Ball - I used to prefer this to Z, but after a re-watch I miss the format and tone of Z, a great deal of which is from Kikuchi's score which doesn't come into its own until Z if you ask me. The lack of consistent character leitmotifs in DB really hurt it for me.
3. Dragon Ball Super (not an enormous fan but the slivers we get of Toriyama's involvement elevate it)
4. Dragon Ball GT - I don't hate it I actually love a lot of Nakatsuru's designs and some of the story elements, but the sad part is a great deal of it is boring.
5. Dragon Ball Kai - I wanted to like this but the score and pacing are all over the place.
6. Super Dragon Ball Heroes - Dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 pm

The good:
1. Dragon Ball - From its humble, lighthearted beginnings, to the darkest, most intense moments in the franchise towards its end, this is truly the best of the shows. An utter joy from start to finish, and the anime-only material is generally very solid to boot.

2. Dragon Ball Z - The second half of the story is, quite simply, not as good as the first half. It's slower, the storytelling tends to be messier, the anime-only material becomes insufferable at various points... But it is still a worthy second half to the story, even if its conclusion leaves a lot to be desired.

3. Dragon Ball GT - The epilogue of the story is, quite simply, not as good as the main body of the work. But, it's an ambitious attempt to do something different, it doesn't always succeed, but especially once it grew out of the Toriyama-imitation in its early teething period, it settled into a very unique style which adds a much-needed freshness to the franchise that had been missing since at least the early part of the cyborgs storyline. It contains the best music in the franchise, the characters all really shine, and there's never been a more perfect conclusion to the story, and I doubt there ever will be.

The bad:
4. Dragon Ball Kai - It's Z, but half as long, with worse music, the actors are no longer in their prime, and the tacked-on Boo arc extension was done very poorly. Overall, it's a cynical cash-in, and just isn't a good piece of work. It does retell part of the original Dragon Ball story, so it has good source material, but it's not great. The only reason to watch this, really, is if you're a dub viewer, and wish to watch the "Z" portion of the story with a dub that's at least somewhat faithful to its source material.

5. Super Dragon Ball Heroes - It's dumb shit, but at least it has the courtesy to have short episodes, and not try to make out that it's anything more than a dumb excuse to have marketable designs fight each-other...

The ugly:
6. Dragon Ball Super - Complete and utter shit, made all the worse by the fact it has so many good filler episodes that show you what could have been done with this waste of time, talent, and story... Though even the premises are rather crap, if I'm honest. Unforgivable, utter shit. All style, zero substance, bad animation, Sumitomo makes good music, but he's not the right choice for a Dragon Ball composer, Yamumuro's designs look great on paper but animate rather stiffly using the budget and time constraints alotted to Super, Toriyama writing in the form of a fully-developed outline betrays his natural style and this series is worse off for it... It's just a bad show.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.