Looks like Japan have finally ditched the Son "Gokou" spelling!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Looks like Japan have finally ditched the Son "Gokou" spelling!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Context since 2017 any overseas releases the spellings of Gokou changed to Goku however the Japanese version spellings always remained Gokou ... until now it seems!

Last prize fair late August when the Maximatic Goku's were on display the II had Goku spelt as that but not "Gokou" like I:
Now didn't think anything of it at the time due the Prize Fair happening a week earlier than usual so assumed the labels were done in haste. However last week we got the order catalogue forms for March and it was spelt as Goku.

Also last week Brujula announced their new acrylic cards box for November and the two Goku's were spelt Goku not Gokou, (bear in mind that the Brujula cards don't get released overseas):
Last Box had a Goku card spelt as Gokou:
And finally today's Ichiban Kuji figure had Goku spelt on the front of the box.
Looks like they finally decided to embrace Son "Goku" spelling in Japan. About time! Incidentally it isn't the first time something like this happened. Last year Japan stopped labelling Majin Vegeta as Destruction Prince (or whatever the accurate translation was) and fully embraced calling him Majin Vegeta. I guess up next is SSGSS.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Looks like Japan have finally ditched the Son "Gokou" spelling!

Post by Alruneia » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:56 pm

I never understood why they ever went with the "Gokou" spelling. This isn't a point about sub names and dub names, it's about hitting the target demographic and about the way you'd read "Gokou" in Japanese.
There are several ways to write the long u sound at the end of Goku's name when converting from kana to romaji, such as "u", "uu" and "uh". So you'd get "Goku", "Gokuu" or "Gokuh". All of those spellings appear in the manga/anime at various points, I believe.
On the other end, "ou" is one of the ways to write a long o sound, along with "o" and "oh" (and more). The o sound, not the u sound.
So from my understanding, "Gokou" should be pronounced like "Gokoh", which doesn't match up with the Japanese name. Getting the Japanese name wrong in Japan is pretty weird. So it's nice that they've corrected that.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:14 pm

I suspect this change is related to how Toei started pushing for Funimation's names in the subtitles earlier this year, which I suspect is part of some push from Toei to have consistent branding worldwide. I'm guessing the goal to ensure that Goku is Goku is Goku, no matter where you look, and they'll be doing the same for other character names.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:50 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:14 pm I suspect this change is related to how Toei started pushing for Funimation's names in the subtitles earlier this year, which I suspect is part of some push from Toei to have consistent branding worldwide. I'm guessing the goal to ensure that Goku is Goku is Goku, no matter where you look, and they'll be doing the same for other character names.
Toei have pushed FUNi dub spellings for everyone overseas this year including Asia so everyone but Japan has now been subjected to the Vegito and Frieza shit. Thankfully domestic Japan the only change so far is Gokou to Goku, Vegetto and Freeza being left like that for the time being at least but it is definitely a concern, especially with Toei being rather stupid lately so can just never trust them...

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:50 pm
Toei have pushed FUNi dub spellings for everyone overseas this year including Asia so everyone but Japan has now been subjected to the Vegito and Frieza shit. Thankfully domestic Japan the only change so far is Gokou to Goku, Vegetto and Freeza being left like that for the time being at least but it is definitely a concern, especially with Toei being rather stupid lately so can just never trust them...
Does FUNi even use the Vegito spelling anymore? I know they used the corrected Vegetto for Kai.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:07 am

So they did... I had to check really quickly. That's interesting.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pmLast year Japan stopped labelling Majin Vegeta as Destruction Prince (or whatever the accurate translation was) and fully embraced calling him Majin Vegeta.
Personally I really HATE "Majin Vegeta" because it's plain WRONG. "Majin" (literally translated as magic/satanic human) is the specific title for Buu. It's not a title automatically added to those whom mind-controlled by Babidi, thus Dabra, Yakon, Puipui, Spopovich, and Yamu are never referred to as Majin. In the first place, Buu himself had never been really under the control of Babidi anyway.

The name "Majin Vegeta" started to pop up in Japan through the Carddas arcade games in the late 2000s under the influence of the English name, which first reached the Japanese DB fans on the Internet via fan-created characters for MUGEN. Google Trends shows how the name has rapidly become common in Japan after being used in Dokkan Battle. Before that, it was almost non-existent.

Though the name "Majin Vegeta" is now commonly used among younger Japanese fans, it still feels very weird and unfamiliar to the older generation like me. I do understand why they call him so because it's simple, easily recognized, and can be related to the "M" in his forehead. But it's essentially wrong, and that's the point to me. I'm okay with foreign fans calling him Majin Vegeta, but I can't bear the name being used in the official Japanese stuff.

So, then how should you call him in Japanese? Personally I often use 洗脳ベジータ (Sen'nô Vegeta, mind-controlled Vegeta) because it simply explains his state, but to be precise, it's partially wrong because he is not fully under the control of Babidi. 破壊王子 (Hakai-Ôji / Destruction Prince) is the most valid title, which first appeared in a text written in the final panel of a manga chapter. It's only written in the Shonen Jump serialization, and not there in the tankobon release. It's still unknown which chapter it is, but according to a Japanese Twitter user, it's written as follows: "身も心も破壊王子の昔に戻ってしまったのか、ベジータ!!", which is translated as "Are both your body and soul back to the days of Destruction Prince, Vegeta?!". "Destruction Prince" was then used in the title of DBZ episode 228:

"破壊王子ベジータ復活!!武闘会乱入"
"Vegeta, the Prince of Destruction, is Revived!! Intrusion at the Tournament"

As you may have noticed, to be exact, "Destruction Prince" refers to the evilness in his younger days, so it is not a phrase that exclusively describes the so-called "Majin" state. However, it is the only fitting title actually mentioned in the original manga and anime, so the name "Destruction Prince Vegeta" has been officially used in multiple video games and goods for over a couple of decades since the original serialization. I think it does sound uncool and lengthy, but I can't deny its legitimacy.

Incidentally, there is a similar phrase from the original manga: 殺戮王子 (Satsuriku Ôji, Murderous Prince) appears only once in the cover page of chapter 457.
Last edited by kei17 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:58 pm

"Prince of Destruction" also sounds kind of terrible nowadays. What? Is Vegeta the son of Beerus?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm

Majin Vegeta may be a fan name and lack official legitimacy, but it's not completely inaccurate. You don't have to be a literal demon, or more specifically a genie in Boo's case, to be called majin. It can be used figuratively as well. Also we already know Bobbidi is using his magic to take control of the evil inside of people, so a "Majin" title seems like a no-brainer. Not that anyone was likely thinking anything other than "Majin Boo... M... Majin Vegeta!" during the 90s of course.

But yeah I don't like it being used in an official capacity either.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm You don't have to be a literal demon, or more specifically a genie in Boo's case,
Just letting you know because this is a Vizism because they called him a Djinn which means Genie in Arabic if I'm not mistaken, while actually his race has been called the Majin Race. Mr. Popo's a genie, Mr. Boo is not.

Fun Facts with Andy!!
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:05 am

I did see a Japan-made shirt recently with 'Gokou' on it. Granted I don't know exactly when the shirt was made, but I'm glad to see that that inaccurate spelling might be on the way out.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:58 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm You don't have to be a literal demon, or more specifically a genie in Boo's case,
Just letting you know because this is a Vizism because they called him a Djinn which means Genie in Arabic if I'm not mistaken, while actually his race has been called the Majin Race. Mr. Popo's a genie, Mr. Boo is not.

Fun Facts with Andy!!
I wasn't talking about Viz. A majin is a demon, and a genie/djinn is a type of demon. Boo is clearly written as some kind of genie in the original series. That's why Viz chose to call him "Djinn". As for any retroactive material from the revival era about a "Majin Race", that I have no clue about.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:18 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:58 am
SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 pm

Fun Facts with Andy!!
I wasn't talking about Viz. A majin is a demon, and a genie/djinn is a type of demon. Boo is clearly written as some kind of genie in the original series. That's why Viz chose to call him "Djinn". As for any retroactive material from the revival era about a "Majin Race", that I have no clue about.
Well, also "Majin" does sometimes translate to "Djinn", apparently.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pmLast year Japan stopped labelling Majin Vegeta as Destruction Prince (or whatever the accurate translation was) and fully embraced calling him Majin Vegeta.
Personally I really HATE "Majin Vegeta" because it's plain WRONG. "Majin" (literally translated as magic/satanic human) is the specific title for Buu. It's not a title automatically added to those whom mind-controlled by Babidi, thus Dabra, Yakon, Puipui, Spopovich, and Yamu are never referred to as Majin. In the first place, Buu himself had never been really under the control of Babidi anyway.

The name "Majin Vegeta" started to pop up in Japan through the Carddas arcade games in the late 2000s under the influence of the English name, which first reached the Japanese DB fans on the Internet via fan-created characters for MUGEN. Google Trends shows how the name has rapidly become common in Japan after being used in Dokkan Battle. Before that, it was almost non-existent.

Though the name "Majin Vegeta" is now commonly used among younger Japanese fans, it still feels very weird and unfamiliar to the older generation like me. I do understand why they call him so because it's simple, easily recognized, and can be related to the "M" in his forehead. But it's essentially wrong, and that's the point to me. I'm okay with foreign fans calling him Majin Vegeta, but I can't bear the name being used in the official Japanese stuff.

So, then how should you call him in Japanese? Personally I often use 洗脳ベジータ (Sen'nô Vegeta, mind-controlled Vegeta) because it simply explains his state, but to be precise, it's partially wrong because he is not fully under the control of Babidi. 破壊王子 (Hakai-Ôji / Destruction Prince) is the most valid title, which first appeared in a text written in the final panel of a manga chapter. It's only written in the Shonen Jump serialization, and not there in the tankobon release. It's still unknown which chapter it is, but according to a Japanese Twitter user, it's written as follows: "身も心も破壊王子の昔に戻ってしまったのか、ベジータ!!", which is translated as "Are both your body and soul back to the days of Destruction Prince, Vegeta?!". "Destruction Prince" was then used in the title of DBZ episode 228:

"破壊王子ベジータ復活!!武闘会乱入"
"Vegeta, the Prince of Destruction, is Revived!! Intrusion at the Tournament"

As you may have noticed, to be exact, "Destruction Prince" refers to the evilness in his younger days, so it is not a phrase that exclusively describes the so-called "Majin" state. However, it is the only fitting title actually mentioned in the original manga and anime, so the name "Destruction Prince Vegeta" has been officially used in multiple video games and goods for over a couple of decades since the original serialization. I think it does sound uncool and lengthy, but I can't deny its legitimacy.

Incidentally, there is a similar phrase from the original manga: 殺戮王子 (Satsuriku Ôji, Murderous Prince) appears only once in the cover page of chapter 457.
Have you heard the term Ma-Ôji / Demon Prince Vegeta before? I've seen that used, and I think it's pretty fitting with the rest of Babidi's minions - the majuu Yakon, the
makai no ō Dabra, even madōshi Babidi himself. Apparently it's been used in some Japanese materials like the GT Perfect Files?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 am

I always assumed Majin Vegeta was okay because of Majin Kaioh in Fist of the North Star. He's not literally a magical or demonic being, but he considers himself so evil and powerful that he's given himself that title. Plus Vegeta was influenced by Babidi's magic, albeit in a limited fashion, so to me it's not so bad.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:59 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 am I always assumed Majin Vegeta was okay because of Majin Kaioh in Fist of the North Star. He's not literally a magical or demonic being, but he considers himself so evil and powerful that he's given himself that title. Plus Vegeta was influenced by Babidi's magic, albeit in a limited fashion, so to me it's not so bad.
Kaioh's title is "魔神" (demon god) which is named for his strong 魔闘気 (matouki, demonic fighting spirit aura) surrounding his body. It's not the same as "魔人" of Buu though they share the same pronunciation. However, linguistically speaking, it is still possible to call Vegeta "Majin" as you pointed out, but the point is that it is already an in-universe term specifically used for Buu.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 am

Toriyama could have just as well used "魔神" instead of "魔人" and it wouldn't have made a difference, as both are used to describe demons/genies despite the difference in Kanji. And while it may be specific to Boo within the context of that particular story arc, the term "Majin" in a broader context could be a title given to any such type of character that appears. I just thought that it was worth noting, even though it's understandable why it would be considered wrong for Vegeta to have that name.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the M symbol for Madoshi rather than Majin anyway? As in Bibidi and Babidi's insignia?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:44 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the M symbol for Madoshi rather than Majin anyway? As in Bibidi and Babidi's insignia?
I believe that Toriyama stated that the "M" symbol was just supposed to refer to ma (魔) in general, and not specifically madoushi or majin or etc.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:16 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:44 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:00 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the M symbol for Madoshi rather than Majin anyway? As in Bibidi and Babidi's insignia?
I believe that Toriyama stated that the "M" symbol was just supposed to refer to ma (魔) in general, and not specifically madoushi or majin or etc.
Ah, well than I think something Devil or Demon related would suffice in referencing both his past villainy and his Babidi affiliation

Funimation titled the episode "The Dark Prince Returns"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler