Looking to buy all the Japanese Dragon Boxes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperGhostKamikaze
Not-So-Newbie

Looking to buy all the Japanese Dragon Boxes

Post by SuperGhostKamikaze » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 pm

If anyone is interested in selling please contact me. I'm looking for mint condition and above

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Looking to buy all the Japanese Dragon Boxes

Post by Vijay » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Ur dedication, passion, love is mind-blowing...I'd rather watch online or download. That being said, I have few speedy dub z films if u want😂😂😂

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 pm

First, it doesn't take passion not to pirate the series, just general respect for the creators. Second there is a dedicated thread for stuff like this. It's an all purpose sale and trade thread. I'd recommend posting in there, but I do remember recently there was a guy selling a bunch the JPNs singles (same quality as the DBoxes).

Link
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26314
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 pm First, it doesn't take passion not to pirate the series, just general respect for the creators.
To be fair, when you're paying premium prices for second-hand Dragon Boxes, you're not paying to support the creators, you're paying to have a nice thing to put on the shelf.

Not saying people should pirate stuff, but really, paying what scalpers are asking for, for the actually-kinda-crappy DBoxes isn't supporting the creators any more than piracy would.
You're not supporting the comics industry by buying Superman #1 for a few million dollars, you're investing in something to put on a shelf.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm
SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 pm First, it doesn't take passion not to pirate the series, just general respect for the creators.
To be fair, when you're paying premium prices for second-hand Dragon Boxes, you're not paying to support the creators, you're paying to have a nice thing to put on the shelf.

Not saying people should pirate stuff, but really, paying what scalpers are asking for, for the actually-kinda-crappy DBoxes isn't supporting the creators any more than piracy would.
You're not supporting the comics industry by buying Superman #1 for a few million dollars, you're investing in something to put on a shelf.
I see what you're saying, but the fundamental point is that you respect the creator by not stealing, even if they don't directly benefit.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

I see what you're saying, but the fundamental point is that you respect the creator by not stealing, even if they don't directly benefit.
But are you really stealing by pirating instead of buying a $1000 set of Dragon Boxes? Surely if you want to respect the creator, you'd buy a copy of a current release instead?
Even though this is considered abhorrent in the Dragon Ball fandom, the crappy current releases are the only way to actually support/respect the original creators of the content. Surely the only person you're supporting by buying an inflated-cost Dragon Box is the scalper you're buying it from?

Again, I'm not advocating piracy, I just find this moral quandry somewhat interesting.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pm

I was more replying with that to the guy who was like "I just watch it online or download it, you must be really devoted to the show to buy it." Like, I'd prefer people buy the shitty 16:9 Blu Rays then pirate the show, when it is easily available through legal means (Not DBox quality though). But still I mostly just wanted to chow the OP the thread that might help him find what he wants.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

But are you really stealing by pirating instead of buying a $1000 set of Dragon Boxes? Surely if you want to respect the creator, you'd buy a copy of a current release instead?
Even though this is considered abhorrent in the Dragon Ball fandom, the crappy current releases are the only way to actually support/respect the original creators of the content. Surely the only person you're supporting by buying an inflated-cost Dragon Box is the scalper you're buying it from?

Again, I'm not advocating piracy, I just find this moral quandry somewhat interesting.
Yes because piracy by definition is theft.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pm I was more replying with that to the guy who was like "I just watch it online or download it, you must be really devoted to the show to buy it." Like, I'd prefer people buy the shitty 16:9 Blu Rays then pirate the show, when it is easily available through legal means (Not DBox quality though). But still I mostly just wanted to chow the OP the thread that might help him find what he wants.
Yeah, I know.

Still, it's an interesting quandry, no? The morality of the ovepriced rare DVD vs piracy. Naturally, the clearly morally correct choice is to buy firsthand, but this particular quandry has always interested me. Maybe that's just me, IDK.
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:51 pm Yes because piracy by definition is theft.
Traditionally, yes. Pirating a movie instead of buying the Blu-ray/DVD/whatever is effectively stealing it. But if it's not officially available, and thus the only place you can buy it is morally-dubious scalpers charging extortionate costs for a subpar release from a decade ago...

Either way, you're robbing the official hands of the money you'd be willing to spend on this release. If you do it by buying a second-hand Dragon Box, you're spending like a thousand dollars on a rare DVD release, which you could have spent on buying the series firsthand nearly three times over.
And supporting these scalpers only serves to make these rare DVDs continue to skyrocket in price.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 pm
SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pm I was more replying with that to the guy who was like "I just watch it online or download it, you must be really devoted to the show to buy it." Like, I'd prefer people buy the shitty 16:9 Blu Rays then pirate the show, when it is easily available through legal means (Not DBox quality though). But still I mostly just wanted to chow the OP the thread that might help him find what he wants.
Yeah, I know.

Still, it's an interesting quandry, no? The morality of the ovepriced rare DVD vs piracy. Naturally, the clearly morally correct choice is to buy firsthand, but this particular quandry has always interested me. Maybe that's just me, IDK.
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:51 pm Yes because piracy by definition is theft.
Traditionally, yes. Pirating a movie instead of buying the Blu-ray/DVD/whatever is effectively stealing it. But if it's not officially available, and thus the only place you can buy it is morally-dubious scalpers charging extortionate costs for a subpar release from a decade ago...

Either way, you're robbing the official hands of the money you'd be willing to spend on this release. If you do it by buying a second-hand Dragon Box, you're spending like a thousand dollars on a rare DVD release, which you could have spent on buying the series firsthand nearly three times over.
And supporting these scalpers only serves to make these rare DVDs continue to skyrocket in price.
I mean take myself for example, i've been gradually buying the FUNi Dragon Boxes over time which are yes out of print and expensive because the current releases they've done themselves since then then have been utter garbage although it's been through some pretty lucky deals on eBay. That's mostly to have a version of the show that isn't DNR'ed to hell and cropped to an improper fake widescreen aspect ratio. Unfortunately, that is the lengths i have to go in order to own an acceptable release of the show.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 pm Still, it's an interesting quandry, no? The morality of the ovepriced rare DVD vs piracy. Naturally, the clearly morally correct choice is to buy firsthand, but this particular quandry has always interested me. Maybe that's just me, IDK.
I can see where you're coming from but with buying it secondhand, at one point Toei was paid for it, but if you pirate it then Toei got no compensation for that "copy".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:16 pm

But that's not theft. You aren't taking what isn't yours. Part of owning something means the ability to exit ownership either by throwing it away or selling it. The issue I'm not clear on is if selling at such exorbitant prices is illegal.

And at the end of the day, as much as I lament there not being an acceptable legal US release readily available for purchase or stream, it's just a TV series. You'll live without it.

And while I do own the US Dragon Boxes, there are a number of ways I could lose them. They could rot. I take great care of my DVD's and blu rays, but a few of my DVDs have been corrupted on their own. Even just one disc getting damaged ruins the whole thing. Then there's theft or a fire. I live in a condo complex and one of the units pretty close to mine burned down.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 pm I can see where you're coming from but with buying it secondhand, at one point Toei was paid for it, but if you pirate it then Toei got no compensation for that "copy".
Exactly.
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:16 pm But that's not theft. You aren't taking what isn't yours. Part of owning something means the ability to exit ownership either by throwing it away or selling it. The issue I'm not clear on is if selling at such exorbitant prices is illegal.

And at the end of the day, as much as I lament there not being an acceptable legal US release readily available for purchase or stream, it's just a TV series. You'll live without it.

And while I do own the US Dragon Boxes, there are a number of ways I could lose them. They could rot. I take great care of my DVD's and blu rays, but a few of my DVDs have been corrupted on their own. Even just one disc getting damaged ruins the whole thing. Then there's theft or a fire. I live in a condo complex and one of the units pretty close to mine burned down.
Well, true. Though morally, I'm not sure I see much of a difference between giving a thousand dollars to a scalper vs pirating, when there is an official option out there, and has been for a couple of decades.

Perhaps the answer is that if you've officially bought the show, you're justified in watching an otherwise-unavailable pirate version. You'll have already supported the official release, and spending a thousand dollars on a set of crappy DVDs that are prone to rot, theft, damage, etc. is a poor option... So is there anyone really losing out on anything if you buy the show, thus officially own it, but tend to actually watch a pirated version that's slightly different?

In your case, you own the US DBoxes. If those got lost, I don't think anyone could begrudge you for pirating this content that, hypothetically, could have been stolen or destroyed.

And, just to add another dimension to this debate, what about someone in a situation I've often found myself in; the Dragon Ball of my childhood was always the version dubbed by the Canadian casts, but I literally couldn't buy that if I wanted to. Would anyone be losing out if I pirated that version, if that's the only version I was interested in seeing, at that moment? And/or if I already owned an official version of the show in addition to pirating this unavailable version?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 pm

It's not whether anyone faults me, it's whether I believe I've done wrong.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:19 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 pm It's not whether anyone faults me, it's whether I believe I've done wrong.
Sure. It's just an expression.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:28 pm

In the end I believe Robo is right on this. When I made the decision to buy second hand Dragon Boxes, Dragon Ball saga sets, and GT individual volumes, I fully knew it was because I wanted to finally say I own the show on disc, let’s be honest it wasn’t for some crusade to support the creators because my time to do that with those releases was long gone. I just wanted a shelf that I’ve wanted since high school that I can stare at and go ‘Yeeeeah, finally!’

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm the type of person who always try to get the home media version of every show or movie I enjoy. I live in scandinavia and have to basically import nearly everything I buy, meaning I have to pay extra shipping to get them. I feel disgusted whenever I pirate or watch something illegaly, even if the dvd or blu ray isn't all that great, I'll still buy it to support the official release.
However with dragon ball z it's different. Every release out there is either total garbage, incomplete, or cost an absurd amount of money.
This is probably the only show I can think of that I watch illegaly and yet do not feel any shame in it whatsoever. If funimation were to rerelease the dragon boxes, then I'll buy them, but that's unlikely to happen at this point.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm

If you have a Blu Ray -player, i'd go for the Blu Ray-edition, it's still cropped, but there is more 'thought' put in the actual cropping compared to the Orange Bricks (which i own, since i simply didn't have a Blu Ray-player four years ago). And the quality is good, aside from the cropping. Dragon Boxes are kinda pricy, i saw some complete used sets for 550 dollars (i wouldn't buy used DVD-sets, if a disc is damaged, it has costed you a lot of money). And some individual volumes new at 150-450 dollars. Why spend so much money on DVD when Blu Ray is available at a much lower price? You can find the complete new Blu Ray-collection at 175 dollars or even less.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm If you have a Blu Ray -player, i'd go for the Blu Ray-edition, it's still cropped, but there is more 'thought' put in the actual cropping compared to the Orange Bricks (which i own, since i simply didn't have a Blu Ray-player four years ago).
It's not as bad as the go-to gold standard of a bad DBZ release, therefore it's good?
Sorry, gonna disagree with you there. And I'm also gonna disagree with your assessment that the BDs are less bad than the OBs. Yes, the cropping is more intelligent, but both are still really badly cropped, and there are other issues that are far more important to consider...
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm And the quality is good, aside from the cropping.
Again, gonna disagree with you; the visuals are utter shit, even worse than the OBs; they essentially did the OBs again for the BDs, but with a significantly stronger yet rather more inteligent DNR (no longer erasing details, but it's nuking the picture way harder), and added an intense sharpening filter, which compounds the blurriness into outright erasure of detail, and makes all the backgrounds look like they've had Photoshop''s "watercolour" filter applied, and all the lineart is fuzzy and soft, meanwhile the shading is hard lines. It's awful. Unless someone's giving you those Blu-rays for free, don't take them, they're not worth it.

If you simply must own one of the shitty releases of the show, the OBs are a better option; they're cheaper, they haven't got the disgusting watercolour filtering (despite the blurry picture), and the DNR is less intense. It's a better picture. Still a really shit release, but significantly less so than the godawful, irredeemable BD sets.
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm Dragon Boxes are kinda pricy, i saw some complete used sets for 550 dollars (i wouldn't buy used DVD-sets, if a disc is damaged, it has costed you a lot of money). And some individual volumes new at 150-450 dollars. Why spend so much money on DVD when Blu Ray is available at a much lower price? You can find the complete new Blu Ray-collection at 175 dollars or even less.
A Blu-ray is not always better than a DVD. Especially when said Blu-ray is an infamous example of just how bad a HD release can get. Hell, the level of detail in those BDs is significantly lesser than the DBoxes...

Thing is, the DBoxes are not a great release either. They were an okay DVD set for 2003. But everything since then has been so bad, they've been put on a pedestal, and because of the limited availability, they go for far more money than anyone should ever spend on them.

So, really there are no good options. Either you get one of the utterly shit releases Funi put out, or you spend far more than you should ever spend on this kind of thing on a set of DVDs that are iffy even by the standards of a standard-def 2003 DVD.

It boggles my mind that every single option to buy DBZ on home video is shit.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm

I didn't say they were perfect. But the very expensive Dragon Boxes or very recent anniversary blu-rays aren't perfect either. There is no optimal release at the moment. I agree with that. I don't agree with the statement Orange Bricks are superior to the blu-rays.
The blu-rays in my opinion do have better overall quality (colors etc) and less annoying cropping than the Orange Bricks. This while the price difference with the Orange Bricks isn't a lot (20-30 euros?) The best run for your money at the moment are the blu-rays, as far as i'm concerned, if you want to own a physical copy at a reasonable price.