Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:45 pm

I was watching the last ending of Dragon Ball and noticed goku's under shirt is colored blue (as it would be in Z) but in the episodes its colored black. Does anyone know why it wasn't colored blue in the episodes?
Image

Vijay
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by Vijay » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Always thought in DB was dark-blue (23rd TB)...while in the pic u posted...it's light blue...

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Vijay wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:32 pm
Always thought in DB was dark-blue (23rd TB)...while in the pic u posted...it's light blue...
Goku's undershirt has always been black in the 23rd TB. It wouldn't become dark blue until Z.

Vijay
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by Vijay » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 pm
Vijay wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:32 pm
Always thought in DB was dark-blue (23rd TB)...while in the pic u posted...it's light blue...
Goku's undershirt has always been black in the 23rd TB. It wouldn't become dark blue until Z.
Really? Wow...musta missed it...cuz last fight I remember Goku fought with his under shirt was against Tien...even that he removed it halfway the battle...and ya know how dude fought without undershirt against Piccolo...

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Vijay wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 pm
Really? Wow...musta missed it...cuz last fight I remember Goku fought with his under shirt was against Tien...even that he removed it halfway the battle...and ya know how dude fought without undershirt against Piccolo...
Yeah. I'm partial to the black because, well, OG DB, but the blue shirt makes his wristbands pop a bit more.

Vijay
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by Vijay » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:00 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:49 pm
Vijay wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 pm
Really? Wow...musta missed it...cuz last fight I remember Goku fought with his under shirt was against Tien...even that he removed it halfway the battle...and ya know how dude fought without undershirt against Piccolo...
Yeah. I'm partial to the black because, well, OG DB, but the blue shirt makes his wristbands pop a bit more.
Yup. Goku's blue-undershirt complements his wristbands plus it's vibrant bright color adds to Goku's charisma. I think while the black undershirt makes Goku seem more of experienced, battle-hardened warrior, the blue shirt gives young, youthful fighter vibes as seen in BoZ.

To answer the question though...I think it was mistake on animators part... trivial it may be, I like how they switched it frm black to blue in DBZ.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 am

I think it's based off the limited color pages at the start of some chapters in the manga. Tori's normal artwork always gave Goku the orange and blue gi, but in those it was red with black.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Goku's coloration in Dragon Ball

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 am

Shaddy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 am
I think it's based off the limited color pages at the start of some chapters in the manga. Tori's normal artwork always gave Goku the orange and blue gi, but in those it was red with black.
That checks out. The entire reason Goku's gi was red with the yellow kame symbol is because that was the extent of the Turtle School gi's colouration by the time the anime got to that point at the end of the Roshi training portion.

Post Reply