What media haven't you consumed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What media haven't you consumed?

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am

A bunch of video games, the GT TV special and anything Heroes related.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

divad86

Post by divad86 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:16 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am I guess you could say I'm a passionate fan, but also one who's very specific and particular. I love Dragon Ball, but there are giant portions of it that I have no interest in, like 99% of the games, CARDASS, Heroes, etc.
You and I are kind of in the same boat. I'm a fan of Dragon Ball but I'm also particular of what I jump into. I haven't watched DB, DBZ,GT, or any of the moves since they came out on Toonami when I was a kid. I haven't seen any of Kai. I haven't watch any of the these because I really have no time and commitment because of work and the other anime, manga, video games I want to to get into. The only DB anime I've watched recently are the last 3 movies that have come out and Super while it was coming out of Japan. I really have no interest in the DB Heroes Promo Anime.

As for the Original manga and Super manga I would dive into that whenever I can. It takes me less time to read all of Dragon Ball than to watch. I haven't read the Full Colors because I'm waiting for Viz to release the other arcs but I feel I will be waiting a long time. I haven't read any of the Dragon Ball Heroes manga mainly as stated before I have no interest in Heroes. It's not DB but I haven't read any Dr. Slump but I really want to at some point.

For video games I didn't play a single DB video game since Budokai 3 until Xenoverse and even then I barely played that. The same can be said for FighterZ. I am actully excited for Dragon Ball Z Kakarot and will probably check that out.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Some chapters from all the arcs the manga and some episodes from DBZ and about 90% of the first anime (about the same for GT).

For DBSuper I haven't read anything beyond The Future Trunks Arc ending.

Nearly all of the DB games.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Games, probably all of them.

Also some mangas, but it's because I can't find them (Dragon Ball SD, for example)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm

-A good solid half of the Super Manga. I've read the first half of the U6 tournament, the entire TOP, and all of the Moro arc up to this point.

-The Heroes anime past the Prison Planet Arc. Oh, and the Heroes manga for that matter.

-Neko Majin

-A few of the Z movies

-Either version of Plot to Destroy the Saiyans
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:17 pm

I have tried some Heroes stuff, but it just can't intrigue me. If this is where we as fans are left with, it's truely horrendous. Altough i know it shouldn't be taken seriously, i still think it's about the worst Dragon Ball-content i've ever seen. Maybe Heroes has better animation, but i still prefer the ROF anime arc if if i could pick anytime of the year.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 pm

The only media I haven't consumed is probably a good chunk of videogames and I have caught much up on SDBH. Last episode I watched was 10 I beleive.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 am

I've never watched Boo Kai.

I think I watched a few episodes when it was airing but it was so ugly and the score was so terrible that I just gave up on it.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:20 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 am I've never watched Boo Kai.

I think I watched a few episodes when it was airing but it was so ugly and the score was so terrible that I just gave up on it.
It actually was pretty hyped back then when it's trailer released. Kai 2.0, filler-free Boo Arc & crushin Gohan fanboys hope of Kai bein purest version of Akira Toriyama & Gohan was ultimate successor as intended with ending it @ Cell Games😂😂😂

Turns-out just abt everything with Kai 2.0's Boo Arc was spoiler...right from its OP, eyecatches, ED...goddamn...keep some suspense in store will ya? Plus 1 major complaint I had with Japanese version of Kai is that....the seiyuu's replicated mistakes of Funi dub

Adding unnecessary battle cries, sounds effects during an otherwise calm or silent scene just to accentuate, "showcase" Kai's value backfires hilariously. Seiyuu's work back in DBZ was mature & grounded, while in Kai...felt childish & pondered to fan-service as if they've grasped their demographic audiences. It's kinda insulting tbh. Not everyone watchin DBZ are kids. Even adults watch & appreciate anime. Boo Arc Kai would've benefited a lot from great voice direction

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 am

Kai from the Namek arc on. Just never got around to it. Yes, that does mean I've never bothered with watching a full episode of TFC either; and really, in that case, nothing of value was missed. :P

Super from about the midpoint of the tournament of power. That's the point when I finally got fed up enough to stop.

The Super DB Heroes anime. I got about two episodes into that and decided I wouldn't make the same mistake I made with Super.

The Summer Vacation & Year-End Specials. I know there's a nice fansub of one of these, but I've never got around to it. The other, I'm given to understand, is only available in quality so shit it'd melt my eyes and ears if I tried to watch it.

The manga beyond the first 23 chapters of DB, which Shueisha/Viz put out for free, uncensored and in full colour a few years ago.
The manga's expensive to own, so I've never taken the plunge. At one point, I was considering holding out for Full Colour to cover the whole run, but at this point, I think I'm more likely to just keep an eye out for a deal on the 3-in-1s.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 amI think I'm more likely to just keep an eye out for a deal on the 3-in-1s.
Is there a Forbidden Planet near you? Here in Dublin all their manga (including 3-in-1) are buy two get one free so for €30 (3-in-1 are €15 each) you can get the equivalent of 9 volumes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:41 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 amI think I'm more likely to just keep an eye out for a deal on the 3-in-1s.
Is there a Forbidden Planet near you? Here in Dublin all their manga (including 3-in-1) are buy two get one free so for €30 (3-in-1 are €15 each) you can get the equivalent of 9 volumes.
Wow. Thanks for the tip. There's not one super-close, but I can get there. I'll see if I can go over there soon and check this out. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am

I just realized that I haven't consumed The Final Chapters because of how fucking awful it is.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:58 pm

I can also say i havent watched Kai but its also hard for me to count it as its own separate thing when its literally the same as the original anime just touched up in a few half assed ways apparently.

To me its almost like saying "Hey, I've read the Vizbigs but not the individual Tankoubon." its still the exact same Manga just presented differently.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:51 pm

I haven’t seen the original Kai in its entirety. I’ve seen the Cell arc and parts of the Freeza arc, but that’s it. I also haven’t played Heroes, Cardass, or many of the video games. I haven’t read some of the spin-off manga like SD. I’m sure theres more but that’s all I can think of right now.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Several Dragon Ball games and some of the spin off manga's.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Haven't read the manga, haven't seen the last episode of Dragon Ball Z. And haven't really seen all of DBZ Kai the Final Chapter.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 pm

The DB and Z animes in full. I've read the manga multiple times over, I've watched Kai multiple times over, and I've seen a few dozen sporadic episodes of DB and Z, but I haven't sat down and watched the whole beast, filler and all. I already know the story like the palm of my hand but I haven't seen much of the filler.

Haven't touched the Xenoverse games yet either.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:16 am

There's things I've looked into partially or not at all, but I'll probably check out all of these things (and finish the others) in time. For the purposes of this list, I'll only leave things I've either never touched or have little memory of.

. Dragon Ball (anime, show) - I've read the manga at least twice and am satisfied with that version
. Dragon Ball (post-"Z" material, manga) - The original Dragon Ball run is Toriyama's original vision, so everything else is just a bonus
. Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo - Wii exclusivity has a lot to do with it
. Dragon Ball Xenoverse - It's apparently very similar to the second game, so I don't think I really need to play it
. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi (series) - Haven't found them cheap locally and emulation of them has been poor for me
. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - I don't typically buy games when they're still new due to pricing unless I really want them
. Super Dragon Ball Z - Haven't found it locally, but it's definitely one I'd like to check out
. (Video game bonus) - Pretty much any obscure or handheld title for no particular reason

There's probably others that I'll remember after hitting "Submit", but that's what immediately comes to mind.

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:25 am

The BOG and RF arcs of DBSuper, Heroes, any dragon ball game after Ultimate Tenkaichi (except for Kakarot), and all of the original dragon ball movies.
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ