Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Manga

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Same as here. Although I figured if I included the original Dragon Ball manga, everyone would put it in first place, so I'm leaving it out. We're gong to focus on other mangas.

Here are the options:
  • Honorable mention (?): Dragon Ball Online (2010 - 2013)

As I mentioned in the original thread in which this was based on, I can't really tell you an exact order of the things I like because I always tend/prefer to like stuff equally. Also, there are mangas included here that I admittedly have never read, so even if I were to make a list out of it, it would be unfair. Also, does Dragon Ball Online count? It is a video-game, but the sequel to the original manga. So a "manga" that you can play? I'll leave that up to you, I personally consider it and if I were to sort things out, the exception to my "like things equally" would be Dragon Ball Online appearing in number 1, with the other works I read here in the second position (and tied to the original Dragon Ball manga).

Anyway, since I can't make a list, gonna just make a comment about them:

1. Neko Majin - What a strangely great piece of work. One that I enjoyed reading it. I don't usually like the modern comedy in Dragon Ball (which most of the times were related to food, which is getting really old by now), this one here presents its gags moments in its most enjoyable form. One thing that I also really liked a lot is that it is set around AGE 784, so we get to see a little bit more of the characters during that period, which is great!

2. Cross Epoch - Hey, a crossover, huh!? Always like this concept and will forever be a "lover" for it. It also features light events that manages to capture the goofiness of both univeses. It is because of the existence of this manga that I still want an actual crossover event that takes itself more seriously and causes an impact for the characters (not just an one-off crossover like the 2013 animated one). This concept can also bring more possibilities and expand even more the lore, with other characters (other than just protagonists) interacting with each other.

3. Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! - Despite the fact that it is the manga adapting the anime (not the other way around), I think Ooishi Naho did a great job with some particular details to give a bit more of authenticity. It may take a long while to get used to her artstyle, but I think it does not deviate from the "characteristics" a Dragon Ball manga has. Like the OVA, it is a great manga to be read in one seat to spend some free time. The fun here is guaranteed.

4. Dragon Ball SD - Didn't read it.

5. Episode of Bardock - Ooishi Naho once again. This one took me by surprise back in the day. Only because I wasn't expecting Bardock to return after so many years "forgotten". Here is where we get to see Naho's writing skills, which I assume it probably wasn't that good due to limited time (the manga release had to coincide with the appearance of Super Saiyan Bardock in the OM5 from Dragon Ball Heroes) and external (Shueisha) issues. I mean, she didn't get to explain how Bardock was sent to the past, but I dare to say she did an acceptable job in the transition from a "bad person" (TV Special) to a "less bad person" (DBO/Minus) Bardock went through. By acknowledging this OVA and expanding it a bit more, I'm pretty sure we could even reconcile these "two" Bardocks, right?

6. Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission - Loved it! I said once and I'l say it again, I had so much Yu-Gi-Oh! vibes while reading it and because of that, I think I never had so much fun with a manga before. Who would've thought that "merging Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh!" could result in a fantastic work!? The issue here is Toyotaro's artstyle, it wasn't nearly as good as it is today. Toyotaro needs to return making this manga again ASAP.

7. Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - I have to say that I didn't read it when it was being released. I'd only watch it when it was revealed to be a Dragon Ball prequel. It was a relief of all the endless and mindless but intense fights which Dragon Ball is unfortunately known for. Once in a while, it is good to have these kind of stories (in Dragon Ball properly referred to as "slice of life" episodes) as it is an opportunity to see the characters in other contexts, in other unusual situations and etc. I liked Tights overall, but does she really need to be Bulma's sister? That didn't contribute to anything and is obviously an attempt to make at least one character from this manga more "notable" (lack of a better word).

8. Dragon Ball Minus - Gine is the only great thing here. Move on.

9. Dragon Ball Super - Like I said in the original thread, I don't actually read Dragon Ball Super. I just skimmed it to see the differences between it and the anime version and today I still skim it just to see what the characters are doing (and to spot any reference, like the Yadorats featuring their Dragon Ball Online's design!).

10. The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha - Didn't read it.

11. SDBH mangas - More than Dragon Ball Super, I do read it to see but primarily to see the differences between it, the anime and mainly the arcade version, which is the main one.

12?. Dragon Ball Online - Rather than reading it, you... play it? It's confusing! Anyway, if I'm considering it, then let's just say it's the best "mangame" this franchise has.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Kanzenshuu Members' Favorite Manga

Post by Vijay » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 pm

And here I am....thinking only DragonBall/DBZ manga exists...

Never came across any of those manga before...damn...now I feel left-out...

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:17 pm

The only ones of those I've read are Jaco, Minus, and Super.

I'd rank them with Super first, followed by Jaco and then Minus.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 am

Vijay wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 pmAnd here I am....thinking only DragonBall/DBZ manga exists...

And I think there's more out there. Like the one in which Jaco the Galactic Patrolman was first "conceived" or at least its concept, don't really know/remember. There's also Doctor Slump, which I chose to leave it out. Sandman, which may or may not be related to Dragon Ball (at first I heard the character in that manga was Dabura, then I was told it was not... seems I won't know until I get to read it myself one day, maybe).There's probably even more than these I've just mentioned.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 am
Vijay wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 pmAnd here I am....thinking only DragonBall/DBZ manga exists...

And I think there's more out there. Like the one in which Jaco the Galactic Patrolman was first "conceived" or at least its concept, don't really know/remember. There's also Doctor Slump, which I chose to leave it out. Sandman, which may or may not be related to Dragon Ball (at first I heard the character in that manga was Dabura, then I was told it was not... seems I won't know until I get to read it myself one day, maybe).There's probably even more than these I've just mentioned.
Dude...you just HAD to prick the healing wound don't you🤣🤣🤣

If all those manga were released back in 90's or even early 2K I'd have stacked all of em in my shelf more than my school books lol...times have changed...I'm working part-time & can't allocate time, money & space for...for...out-of-universe DragonBall materials for completeness sake.

Am fine the way I am😎

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 am

Super, of those listed. It's a really low bar, though.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:33 am

You're right - my pick would have been the original Dragon Ball manga by an ENORMOUS landslide.

Out of all the options you've listed, my favorite is easily Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. It's charming, down-to-earth, comforting, and of course hilarious. My second and third picks would be Reincarnated as Yamcha and Neko Majin.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:41 am

Gundam Sousei, Oyaji and Tokimeki Tonight. I'm not a manga person for Dragon Ball or even One Piece.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:49 pm

1 - Neko Majin
2 - The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha
3 - Jaco/Minus
4 - Cross Epoch
5 - DBSD
6 - Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!
7 - Dragon Ball Super
8 - Episode of Bardock
9 - Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission/Universe Mission
10 - Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission

Honrable Mentions - Toriyama/Katsura collaboration (Sachie-chan Guu and Jiya), Jump Super Stars

Don't read/don't care - Dragon Ball Online

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:25 pm

I haven’t read many of these so my opinion is worth squat, but from the list I’ll go with Dragon Ball Super as my favorite. It’s good that the original series was excluded because then 99% would’ve chosen that and this poll wouldn’t have much meaning. lol Also I know it’s not on the list, but I saw some people mention it and Sandman is so much fun. It feels like OG Dragon Ball.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Goku and Friends Return.

I don’t really care for Heroes, and Minus/Super are just plain awful. Neko Majin and Jaco are fun though.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 am

1. Neko Majin

This was a lot of fun and had great humor. When Beerus was first revealed, I thought he might've been a Neko Majin god or the strongest of their race who trained to become the next GoD. Oh well!

2. The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha

It's a wish fulfillment story about Yamcha. What more can I say.

3. Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (not including the Minus chapter

Classic Toriyama in my opinion. It really feels like something he would've drawn back during early Dragonball.