Toei and Bandai release 2nd Quarter Financials for 2019: DB still on top

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Toei and Bandai release 2nd Quarter Financials for 2019: DB still on top

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/d ... ource=link

Important points :

For Bandai, Dragon Ball made almost $300 million. It answered for almost a fifth of their total sales and was by far their biggest franchise.

In fact, if you sum Bandai's sales with Gundam and One Piece you still need about a Naruto worth of cash to equal Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball has surpassed Bandai's first half forecast by 20%, and will almost certainly beat the annual forecast.

For Toei, Dragon Ball made at least* $55 million on the last quarter, that is, 35% of their total revenue.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toei and Bandai release 2nd Quarter Financials for 2019: DB still on top

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Great find! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:45 pm

For those wondering, the stated numbers are in dollars, not Yen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Kinda makes me worried they think they don't have to produce more TV series.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:39 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm Kinda makes me worried they think they don't have to produce more TV series.
That's exactly why they ain't in rush. DB starting making more money once the show ended in March 2018 and has been on upward spiral ever since.

Franchise isn't aimed at kids anymore, it doesn't need to be on air to stay relevant. I mean next month DB is set for a record breaking month in terms of merch sales and that is without a show on air or any movie on the horizon. They are making the money, no need to put costs towards producing a TV show, at least for the time being.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:48 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:39 pm
sangofe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm Kinda makes me worried they think they don't have to produce more TV series.

Franchise isn't aimed at kids anymore,
With all the censorship in the anime you'd think it is. Did Toei change their marketing strategy?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 am

While this is good news, I hatethat the execs at toei are going to take this as an indication that Super's awful direction and haphazard production is how to succesfully continue the series. :oops:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:11 am

supersaiyanZero wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 am While this is good news, I hatethat the execs at toei are going to take this as an indication that Super's awful direction and haphazard production is how to succesfully continue the series. :oops:

Or even don't bother spending money on a new TV show.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:55 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:48 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Franchise isn't aimed at kids anymore,
With all the censorship in the anime you'd think it is. Did Toei change their marketing strategy?
That's the frustrating thing, Toei are still using the kids excuse when it suits them I mean all the homages in DBS the fact they were desperate to do something with Broly just shows that, if the show really is aimed at kids they wouldn't give a shit about all these homages, a female Broly etc. Essentially Toei want their cake and want to eat it too. They know deep down that if they ever admit the fact they would have to actually have to put more effort in but saying it's for kids they can get away with the shit they have.

A recent example is Wafer Stickers now these are the only consistent product that is aimed at 6 year olds, anyway Bandai wanted to make gashapon figures based off them and so went to Toei to see if they can greenlight, Toei did but guess what? The target age for the figures was 15+ not even the same as what the stickers were based on!