How Trunks inspired a Yu-Gi-Oh card

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

How Trunks inspired a Yu-Gi-Oh card

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:36 pm

https://www.cbr.com/rarest-yu-gi-oh-cards/

"Tyler The Great Warrior is a very special card that came about all thanks to a brave boy called Tyler. Diagnosed with embryonal sarcoma, a rare form of liver cancer, at the young age of 14, he lost a fourth of his liver to the disease and things were still not looking good. Learning about the boy's plight, the Make a Wish Foundation got involved.

Taking them to on a grand tour of the 4Kids Entertainment Yu-Gi-Oh! facility, he eventually was asked to make a card of his very own. Roughly based on Trunks from Dragon Ball Z, there are only a few in existence. Tyler himself is currently in possession of one of them. Alive and well, he beat cancer like the "Great Warrior" he is!

Cool homage and history.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: How Trunks inspired a Yu-Gi-Oh card

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:01 pm

That's really cool.

No surprises though as Kazuki Takahashi has mentioned Dragon Ball as being one of his influences as a Mangaka, and even published his own drawing of Goku.

All in all its great to see other franchises and it's creators paying nod to this series we all love.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Re: How Trunks inspired a Yu-Gi-Oh card

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 pm

As a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan I’ve known about this for a while (my username is a character from the show lol). It’s cool to see this brought up on a Dragon Ball fan site. I think it’s awesome that they did this.