Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asmo

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Asmo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:32 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 pm
Jaetinh wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm Oh, we going with the "they are aliens, thus they can't be Asian?"
I agree that the Saiyans would look Asian based on Goku's design origins, but I think it's more that "they are aliens, thus they DON'T HAVE TO BE Asian".

Also worth noting that every race in the universe, unless noted like on Namek, speak the same language as everyone on Earth.
This is one aspect of the series' lore that I'd like to see addressed. I wouldn't mind knowing 'why' most races speak the one language (even if it was originally just done for Toriyama's ease).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 am

Asmo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:32 am
KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 pm
Jaetinh wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm Oh, we going with the "they are aliens, thus they can't be Asian?"
I agree that the Saiyans would look Asian based on Goku's design origins, but I think it's more that "they are aliens, thus they DON'T HAVE TO BE Asian".

Also worth noting that every race in the universe, unless noted like on Namek, speak the same language as everyone on Earth.
This is one aspect of the series' lore that I'd like to see addressed. I wouldn't mind knowing 'why' most races speak the one language (even if it was originally just done for Toriyama's ease).
Jaco accidentally went back in time and dropped an Earth dictionary in the lap of the first member of the Chilled race (Kelvin*), thus influencing the language of the entire galaxy and yet completely not explaining why Beerus and the Omni-King know it.

*To explain this joke within a joke, Kelvin is Absolute Zero, the lowest point on the thermodynamic temperature scale. It's the point where atoms stop vibrating and producing heat, so anything below is rarely relevant to something. It's equivalent to -273°C, or -460F.

Okay in all seriousness, I don't think it needs to be explained. That's like trying to explain how everyone in Star Wars uses the second-most dominant language used on one specific planet in the Milky Way many years in the future. This falls under Acceptable Breaks From Reality, which also includes that Saiyans look EXACTLY like humans except for the tails, and can even reproduce with them. Or that the Frieza Force happens to fight with martial arts predominantly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:23 am

If they bothered to explain, it would be a complete nonsensical explanations. It's the sort of thing nerds get hung up on and why I'm so ardent in my assertion that lore is boring. We all know why aliens like Saiyans and Kryptonians look human and speak an Earth language. Any explanation would be gobbledygook.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 am

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 amWhat the hell was it about TLJ that still pisses people off so much even two years removed? Johnson is too nice a guy to intentionally avoid doing something because it would please people. He told a story that was actually more true to Star Wars than one would assume because most don't truly know what SW is at its core.

Here's the thing, there's no way to know what "fans" will want or that giving them what they say they want will satiate them. We are living in the golden age of geekdom and yet they can't stop complaining. An artist has to go with their gut and what's best for the story since the stories are what made people fans to begin with.
People were idiots again and believed Abrams mystery box questions would amount to something as a last line of defense to keep convincing themselves TFA wasn't one of the most creatively bankrupt sequels to possibly ever come out. Once that didn't fly, the floodgate was opened. As for Johnson, the man has openly said many times he finds people universally liking or disliking films boring, he finds the polarizing reception much more interesting.

To his credit, he wasn't just cribbing old stuff like TFA did, he just didn't execute his vision with any kind of competence. The movie expects you to care about Luke's "the Jedi must end" mentality but we don't know a single thing about Luke's Jedi at all to know why it failed and why that failure means the entire Jedi concept is obsolete. The humor felt like something out of an MCU movie, it literally starts with a "your momma!" joke over a prank call. Poe, Finn and Rose's subplots ran on eye-rolling contrivances or felt like an unintentionally funny comedy of errors. It doesn't help it goes on for a whole half an hour longer than it should, easily beating out some cape shit in terms of an obnoxiously long, bloated final act.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 am

Agree wholeheartedly with the first paragraph (nice pull with the mystery box reference), but not with the second one like at all, but this isn't a Star Wars forum. I merely wondered why any has such a strong negative reaction to any of this, be it DB or SW or DC or any property for that matter. Even taking toxic behavior, like harassing actors and directors, out of the equation, what about movies that people deem really bad has them hating on them so much?

If you hate on something, hate it for genuine reasons like white washing (as is the case with DB Evolution) or because you believe the movie is misogynist.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:48 am

As for the actual idea of a Disney DB movie: There's literally not a living human being in Hollywood I trust not fuck up a take of theirs on DB.
Gokû would have all his rough edges removed even worse than the 90s FUNimation dub, with a mandatory song about how he's a confused lad looking for his place in the world. 70s and or 80s pop culture references are highly likely too. Roshi being a dirty old man is removed completely, he becomes a generic trickster mentor at best. Oolong is either removed or switched from a communist gag to a Donald Trump one...

Disney would make it look and sound good, if generic 3-D American animation because God forbid any of that shit didn't look like a Pixar knock off but all the rest of DB like the humor, character beats, personalities? You could kiss it all goodbye.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 am

Do you just not like Disney or is it you don't feel Disney's brand identity is a good fit for DB?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:04 am

I don't like Disney period but I don't in-general trust anyone in America to do DB well. Contrary to what most of the fanbase believes, DB is more than just cool looking designs flying, punching and shooting at each other. Its a series with a very specific kind of attitude to its world, characters, humor that even Toei in the 80s and especially the 90s fucked with it in its various adaptations to make it more generic. And that's Japan from decades ago. There's no way in hell a Hollywood DB from anyone, not just Disney, wouldn't be the most cookie-cutter, cape shit version of DB to ever shit the capes with bland altruism and eye-rolling snark humor seeping out of every orifice.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 am

DB uses humor in the same way you deride the MCU for doing. The only difference is Toriyama's particular brand of humor, often pun or sexually based.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:58 am

Kuwabara wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 pm Taika Waititi or the Wachowskis could do it. Besides them, I have my doubts that anyone else in Hollywood could pull this off. Dead on arrival.

omegacwa wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 pm From a production stand point it is no different than approaching something like the Avengers. That's what I meant. Don't try to pretend it would be any different.
Maybe at the most surface level possible? Beyond that, I have no idea why anyone would think this.
I know I'm super late at responding to this but yes. I mean entirely at a surface level starting point of production. You have a large cast of characters and tons of special effects shots and stunt work. You also need to balance humor with action.

I honestly have no idea what people were thinking about my comment other than that.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Disney's already proven a decent DBZ movie is possible, thanks to the final act of Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel is basically the MCU's Goku. She's zipping around space glowing like a Super Saiyan, shooting ki blasts and blowing up ships. If the sequel to her film is just chock full of DB-esque fight scenes, fighting aliens (Super Skrull???) in space, it'd be the closest thing we have to a good live-action DB film.

So yeah I think Disney could totally pull off a good DBZ movie. It's a very tricky property to adapt so if I had to guess, they'll probably screw it up somehow. You need the visuals to be perfect, writing perfect, fight choreography perfect. But it's not impossible to pull off!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:25 pm

I wouldn't trust Disney with Dragon Ball. The visuals of Dragon Ball wouldn't work well in live-action. And a live-action film would probably have a washed out color palette and bland cinematography like the MCU does.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:28 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:25 pm I wouldn't trust Disney with Dragon Ball. The visuals of Dragon Ball wouldn't work well in live-action. And a live-action film would probably have a washed out color palette and bland cinematography like the MCU does.
Why are you basing it off of just that when Star Wars, for as many flaws as people have of it, have flat out beautiful cinematography?

Anyways, it’s WGTC, they’re absolutely terrible as a source and the definition of clickbait.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:46 pm

I find it to be overwhelmingly the case that people talking about cinematography are only talking about pretty pictures. Here's a pretty good rule of thumb, the great cinematography is when you don't notice it because it doesn't draw attention to itself.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:04 pm

funrush wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm Disney's already proven a decent DBZ movie is possible, thanks to the final act of Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel is basically the MCU's Goku. She's zipping around space glowing like a Super Saiyan, shooting ki blasts and blowing up ships. If the sequel to her film is just chock full of DB-esque fight scenes, fighting aliens (Super Skrull???) in space, it'd be the closest thing we have to a good live-action DB film.

So yeah I think Disney could totally pull off a good DBZ movie. It's a very tricky property to adapt so if I had to guess, they'll probably screw it up somehow. You need the visuals to be perfect, writing perfect, fight choreography perfect. But it's not impossible to pull off!
CM is a superhero film. I don’t think very many longtime fans would appreciate it if a Dragon Ball film happened to be yet another Hollywood superhero story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm

I think funrush is talking about CM from a purely visual approach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:17 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm I think funrush is talking about CM from a purely visual approach.
If you want to talk about visuals, that should be a no-brainer. There’s basically nothing that can’t be translated into live action at this point.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:17 pm If you want to talk about visuals, that should be a no-brainer. There’s basically nothing that can’t be translated into live action at this point.
I disagree, personally. IMO, Toriyama's art style is as much a part of the franchise as ki and name puns, and many iconic factors only really work in live-action, like Goku's hair or Saiyan Armour. Changing/adjusting them to fit live-action wouldn't work and it wouldn't feel like Dragon Ball, as I think Evolution proved. And when a middle-ground is found, people want to burn it like with Alita.
funrush wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm Disney's already proven a decent DBZ movie is possible, thanks to the final act of Captain Marvel.

I really don't think Captain Marvel is as solid an example of "proof" that a Dragon Ball movie would work as people think it is. The finale to Captain Marvel isn't anything truly revolutionary as characters like Superman have been doing that sort of stuff for years. And if you replace the missiles and lasers with ki attacks, Iron Man is very often a lot like DBZ as well. Captain Marvel just LOOKS like DBZ (flight, arm lasers and vertical yellow hair mainly) so people just latch onto that and forget the entire story. Visual Effects haven't been a hindering factor for a Dragon Ball movie since Superman and Jurassic Park came out.

It's very important to remember that Dragon Ball is far, FAR more than just the fight sequences. It's the bit we latch on to and enjoy the most and watch over and over, it is a fighting shonen story after all, but being able to effectively tell the story with your cast and draw the audience in to hating or loving them is equally important. Frieza is a hatable character and Gohan is a lovable one, but as Evolution proved those aren't automatically a given if the story isn't told right. IMO it's vitally important to nail that, even above the actual fight choreography.

---

As for the hypothetical of Disney making their own live-action movie, I honestly have more faith than most. If it's handled like the MCU is, they would bring in exactly the right directors and writers to make it the best it could be; the only gamble would be how authentic they'd have it to the Japanese original; at best I think we'd get something like early Kai episodes with the correct attack names and correct characterization (which is the standard nowadays thanks to Kai and the Super dub).

It'd be watered down from a story perspective unless they adapted a specific arc, but the thing we often forget about Dragon Ball is that it's EXTREMELY hard to directly adapt into a movie format. We've had several attempts at this with Curse of the Blood Rubies, Path to Power and Evolution, and all of them run into the problem of trying to introduce the full cast of the arc, and either combine ideas from several arcs or just have light elements but throw the rest away in favour of a new story. None have even dared attempt to adapt the entire story because its sheer length and multi-story factors render than unfeasable due to how it was written.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 pm

I think barring a few revisions, the Piccolo Daimaou and Saiyan arcs are the easiest to adapt into a movie.

The Cell Saga? Good God, that would be a nightmare. You'd have to rewrite the entire arc
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 pm

I think you can adapt Dragon Ball into 120-140 minute movies in general, it simply takes some creativity. I'm not a fan of adapting into live action, however.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter