Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm We're no more suffocating in Marvel content than movies and TV in general. I don't think we've actually hit peak TV yet.

The main question was: why is TOEI being so lazy while Disney appears to be very active?
This while in both cases more money making is involved. But if you want to make more money, you basically have to invest on the long term.
I agree, but big budget Hollywood filmmaking isn't driven by long range planning.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm We're no more suffocating in Marvel content than movies and TV in general. I don't think we've actually hit peak TV yet.

The main question was: why is TOEI being so lazy while Disney appears to be very active?
This while in both cases more money making is involved. But if you want to make more money, you basically have to invest on the long term.
I agree, but big budget Hollywood filmmaking isn't driven by long range planning.

This what's being in the planning for SW alone the coming years up to 2026:

https://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-star-wars-movies/

That's not everything, there are talks about new live-action series that are not yet on that list.

It's massive.

DB is not a Japan-unique franchise, it's a world wide franchise. They are keeping as silent as they can get.
I'd say they are missing golden opportunities.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:12 pm

It is weird that Toei hasn’t announced the return of Super yet. I guess it’s possible that they’re waiting on Toriyama to come up with the stories, but they didn’t exactly wait when they green lit Super in the first place, so I have a bit of trouble imagining that they would be patiently waiting right now, especially when they could just do a television adaptation of the Broly movie in order to buy some time.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Hopefully the entire cast would not be Asian. I think a Caucasian Buruma would be appropriate, along with the other urban peoples being a mix of White folks and other races. I hope they include animal-people as well.

I also hope they don't make it too much of a "children's movie". I think that it's enough to understand that it's based on a series for Japanese kids and leave it at that. Let the manga/anime speak for itself and make a film that reflects that. If that turns out to be a film that skews older then so be it. Ideally they would make something that an entire family can enjoy I imagine.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 pm

This what's being in the planning for SW alone the coming years up to 2026:

https://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-star-wars-movies/

That's not everything, there are talks about new live-action series that are not yet on that list.

It's massive.

DB is not a Japan-unique franchise, it's a world wide franchise. They are keeping as silent as they can get.
I'd say they are missing golden opportunities.
Not what I was getting at when I was talking about Hollywood's lack of long range planning, but alright.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying DB isn't a Japan-unique franchise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 pm

Dragon Ball certainly isn’t popular only in Japan, that much is certain. Globally speaking, it’s probably the most mainstream a manga/anime can get (not counting Pokémon, which is a video game franchise first). Still, being popular doesn’t mean that people are going to turn up in droves to see a live action adaptation.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm

disney doesn't even own dragon ball

not yet ...

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:47 pm
Vijay wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:25 am
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am I have an asian friend on Facebook who is a small time actor, and he announced he got the part on an upcoming Dragon Ball movie.

Use to know him in real life from Community College, but haven't spoke with him in years.
Now we're talkin...how does ur friend look like...if u can make a comparison to any DB/Z character...curious...
Actually, now that I've read through more of his comments on FB, he might have been joking. :x But he actually is an actor, and word of a Dragon Ball movie apparently somehow got to him.

Anyway, his name is Rye Burgos. You can Google him and see what he looks like. He also has a sister named Loren Burgos who is also an actress. They're both Filipino. I knew both of them from back in college.
Wow. Thx buddy. Yeah, both look like they'd fit-in the DB movie somehow

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:56 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:35 pm Hopefully the entire cast would not be Asian. I think a Caucasian Buruma would be appropriate, along with the other urban peoples being a mix of White folks and other races. I hope they include animal-people as well.
This is very important I feel. It's easy to forget, but the Dragon World version of Earth is VERY diverse, especially in the early days with the globe-trotting storyline. We got Inuits, Australians, Middle Easterners, and even straight up Native Americans in the early parts of the story. It'd make sense to have Goku, Grandpa Gohan and more be Japanese/Chinese, but there's far more to Dragon Ball races than just that. That's be, uhm... Asian-washing the Dragon World if you did that approach.

Anyways, personally I think Disney would see that Dragon Ball is popular and well-liked enough as an animated product, especially after the success of the Broly movie. To be honest I think Disney would be better-served if they aided in the distribution of future Dragon Ball movies in the West. Plus, who WOULDN'T want (4:3) Dragon Ball on Disney +?

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am

Goku and Vegeta aren't Asian though.. they don't even look Asian to begin with. Yamcha, Bulma, ChiChi, yeah they'd benefit from the Asian casting but I'm not too sure on Goku and Vegeta. This, of course, is just my opinion. When Disney made Ariel and Mary Jane black I thought it was a bit odd but I got on board since Zendaya's performance was pretty good in Homecoming so I'm sure Disney could surprise me here as well.
I'm curious to see how Disney will pull this off though. Their live-action movies, other than the Marvel movies, haven't been doing so well. Evolution is still a sore spot in a lot of fan's minds so here's hoping they can overcome it. I'm a sucker for anything Dragon Ball related so I actually welcome this re-try. The Last Airbender was such a shitty movie, but the live-action Netflix adaptation actually has promise.
One World. 🌐 🕊

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am Goku and Vegeta aren't Asian though.. they don't even look Asian to begin with. Yamcha, Bulma, ChiChi, yeah they'd benefit from the Asian casting but I'm not too sure on Goku and Vegeta.
Given the dark hair color along with the Chinese style of dress, setting, and character origins, I think the intention is most likely for Goku to be Asian. If Yamcha and Chichi would benefit from Asian casting then I don't see how Goku wouldn't. And Vegeta and the Saiyajin are just an extension of Goku.

I can see how many of the characters may not look exactly Asian, but I think that may have more to do with the tendency to draw manga/anime characters in a style that favors Caucasian features. Or at least a style that isn't decidedly Asian.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 am

The link is from We Got This Covered, a link that is infamous for bogus stories.

I'll need a link from a more reliable source to take this seriously, though to be honest I think Disney would try this.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am

Captain Marvelous isn't Asian, it didn't stop Toei from hiring a Japanese actor.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 pm [it would work if they got] Taika Waititi [...]
I know this post was ages ago, but I've said this for a while, and I think it bears repeating: Taika Waititi would be goddamn PERFECT for a Dragon Ball movie. If they hired him, I'd consider it an easy, definite slam-dunk, and it'd probably be one of the most fun movies in the given year.

I would also like to take this oportunity to again repeat the fact that this is still 100% wild rumour. Nothing wrong with discussing this kind of thing based on nothing, but don't think that this is at all likely from WGTC's report. Personally, I've always stood by the fact that since Disney have these rights, they'll probably want to make some Dragon Ball movies if they can, but don't think that WGTC's report is anything to go off of.
I'm sure Kanzenshuu doesn't need this repeated too often, but I thought it was worth saying anyway, while I'm dropping in.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am Goku and Vegeta aren't Asian though.. they don't even look Asian to begin with. Yamcha, Bulma, ChiChi, yeah they'd benefit from the Asian casting but I'm not too sure on Goku and Vegeta. This, of course, is just my opinion. When Disney made Ariel and Mary Jane black I thought it was a bit odd but I got on board since Zendaya's performance was pretty good in Homecoming so I'm sure Disney could surprise me here as well.
I'm curious to see how Disney will pull this off though. Their live-action movies, other than the Marvel movies, haven't been doing so well. Evolution is still a sore spot in a lot of fan's minds so here's hoping they can overcome it. I'm a sucker for anything Dragon Ball related so I actually welcome this re-try. The Last Airbender was such a shitty movie, but the live-action Netflix adaptation actually has promise.
Oh, we going with the "they are aliens, thus they can't be Asian?" Of course they look Asian, lol. Of all the races in the world, they look Asian the most. Pretty sure the intention for Toriyama was him being Asian when he started writing the series. Everything other than him being an alien points to him being and looking Asian. Also, how exactly does Bulma look more Asian than Goku?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Geekdom did a video on this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7kQ0m-4kWo
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 pm

I mean for God's sake, Goku was initially a pint sized Jackie Chan expy based on the protagonist of a Chinese folktale. The Saiyans are literally a race of Monkey Kings who wear armor that vaguely resembles Samurai armor. It's safe to say they're aesthetically Asian.

Bulma should be American/European though. She's from the West and her character is a bratty western stereotype.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 pm I mean for God's sake, Goku was initially a pint sized Jackie Chan expy based on the protagonist of a Chinese folktale. The Saiyans are literally a race of Monkey Kings who wear armor that vaguely resembles Samurai armor. It's safe to say they're aesthetically Asian.

Bulma should be American/European though. She's from the West and her character is a bratty western stereotype.
FFS, how am I only now putting it together that she looks Caucasian and she's from WEST City?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:31 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm FFS, how am I only now putting it together that she looks Caucasian and she's from WEST City?
So many different things about this series are only realized after years and years of exposure to it. I've had moments like these where you can't believe you never thought of something before. I probably still have moments like that.

But yeah it seems like the White people reside in the big cities while the Chinese stick to the mountains and rural areas.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Jaetinh wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm Oh, we going with the "they are aliens, thus they can't be Asian?"
I agree that the Saiyans would look Asian based on Goku's design origins, but I think it's more that "they are aliens, thus they DON'T HAVE TO BE Asian".

Also worth noting that every race in the universe, unless noted like on Namek, speak the same language as everyone on Earth.