Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:14 pm

I can't think of a monumentally dumber waste of money time and resources than a live action movie that's just a direct sequel to the series. What fan would give a shit about that and why wouldn't it just be animated? Live action is a whole different medium and carries a different draw.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 pm

The fighting is the story. They are inseparable. I still for the life of me can't understand why you would want any story to pick up towards the end instead of starting from the beginning just in a streamlined manner. You keep pointing to a recap, but that's a lot to recap and think anyone in the audience will really care about it.

If you did a live action DB, the point would be to speak to more people than just those that are already fans. That's inarguable, otherwise, why not continue with an animated film?
Last edited by ABED on Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:14 pm I can't think of a monumentally dumber waste of money time and resources than a live action movie that's just a direct sequel to the series. What fan would give a shit about that and why wouldn't it just be animated? Live action is a whole different medium and carries a different draw.
For some maybe. Then again plenty of fans could say the same thing about making a live action version of things they've already seen. Like how some really like the live action Disney movies and some find them completely pointless.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:17 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:14 pm I can't think of a monumentally dumber waste of money time and resources than a live action movie that's just a direct sequel to the series. What fan would give a shit about that and why wouldn't it just be animated? Live action is a whole different medium and carries a different draw.
For some maybe. Then again plenty of fans could say the same thing about making a live action version of things they've already seen. Like how some really like the live action Disney movies and some find them completely pointless.
Those are self contained one offs, not to mention those animated versions were themselves adaptations.

Forget about the hypothetical audience, why do YOU want them to start live action DB movies after the series?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm
The draw of live action adaptations is seeing something that already exists in a new medium and the changes made to work within it. On the other hand, why would you want an actual follow up to the story to exist solely as a COMPLETELY different medium that carries new limitations and additions? It wouldn't fit. It's like Popeye's following up a chicken sandwich with a pork sandwich and still calling it a chicken sandwich. What audience exists for that?
Cold World (Fanfic)

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 pm The fighting is the story. They are inseparable. I still for the life of me can't understand why you would want any story to pick up towards the end instead of starting from the beginning just in a streamlined manner. You keep pointing to a recap, but that's a lot to recap and think anyone in the audience will really care about it.

If you did a live action DB, the point would be to speak to more people than just those that are already fans. That's inarguable, otherwise, why not continue with an animated film?
Because that streamlined manner will probably just be a worse version of what we already have. I can't understand why you would want to retell a story that's already been told in animation but just with live actors. I would rather a recap of the simple story than a streamlined, changed, and probably worse version of the story.

And the point would be to make a good movie. And I think an action packed movie that doesn't upset the core fans but is simple enough for the new fans would work better for DB than redoing a bunch of it.
How many movies are you wanting to use to cover DB(Z/Super)?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 pm The fighting is the story. They are inseparable. I still for the life of me can't understand why you would want any story to pick up towards the end instead of starting from the beginning just in a streamlined manner. You keep pointing to a recap, but that's a lot to recap and think anyone in the audience will really care about it.

Because that streamlined manner will probably just be a worse version of what we already have. I can't understand why you would want to retell a story that's already been told in animation but just with live actors. I would rather a recap of the simple story than a streamlined, changed, and probably worse version of the story.

And the point would be to make a good movie. And I think an action packed movie that doesn't upset the core fans but is simple enough for the new fans would work better for DB than redoing a bunch of it.
Why should new fans have to settle for important pieces of characterization and story to just be recapped to them? That's boring and haphazard

Just the mere act of fitting the stories into a 2.5 hour time frame in a different medium requires changes.

You're asking why fans would want to see the same story just in live action in the same year that near 1:1 live action Aladdin and Lion King remakes made billions of dollars.
Cold World (Fanfic)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 pm

I don't want any of this. I want DB to end, but if they did ever make it, I would want it to be successful and recapping 700+ episodes and starting at the end would be the dumbest idea. I don't see how starting at the end of a story that has decades of continuity would work for anyone.

I don't know how many films it would take to cover all the manga. They shouldn't be in a hurry to get anywhere. Take it a film at a time and worry about making each one its own satisfying experience. It's films that sell audiences on franchises, not the other way around. In other words, don't spend so much time setting up a future they might not get to.
Last edited by ABED on Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:55 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Why should new fans have to settle for important pieces of characterization and story to just be recapped to them? That's boring and haphazard

Just the mere act of fitting the stories into a 2.5 hour time frame in a different medium requires changes.

You're asking why fans would want to see the same story just in live action in the same year that near 1:1 live action Aladdin and Lion King remakes made billions of dollars.
And you're saying fans would be against seeing a later part of a story but in live action in the same year that episode 9 of a series that started on episode 4 and has had both live and animated media jumping around its timeline for decades but is one of the biggest franchises ever.

And I already covered the live action Disney remakes, some people like them and some find them pointless. The last person I talked to about the Lion King said he was looking forward to it, and then the next day told me he couldn't get through it because it was the same movie, just worse.

Also do you think they would make a 1:1 live action of DB?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:55 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:25 pm Regular DB covered a lot of stuff, but there wasn't really a recap of it for all the people that started with Z and that worked fine.
I mean, not really. Script changes in the dub aside, skipping Goku's childhood means you miss out on how much of a manchild he can be, not to mention where his passion for fighting comes from, or how crazy it is that he actually managed to reproduce and have Gohan. You also miss out on the context of VERY important characters like Piccolo being a villain whose entire birth-given purpose is to destroy Goku.

Characters like Krillin, Tien and Yamcha being considered jokes has a lot to do with the fact that they are, if you start from Z, introduced as the defenders of the Earth and then get their heads blown off against the weakling henchmen. It also robs perspective on how earth-shattering the powers of the Saiyans are. If you started from Dragon Ball you know how much they've been through together by this point, and Krillin in particular gets to spend barely any time with Goku prior to Namek and so his death means much less.

In short, starting from Z has meant that there has been some pretty significant mis-interpetation of several very important characters, including the main character.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:01 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:55 pm
dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:25 pm Regular DB covered a lot of stuff, but there wasn't really a recap of it for all the people that started with Z and that worked fine.
I mean, not really. Script changes in the dub aside, skipping Goku's childhood means you miss out on how much of a manchild he can be, not to mention where his passion for fighting comes from, or how crazy it is that he actually managed to reproduce and have Gohan. You also miss out on the context of VERY important characters like Piccolo being a villain whose entire birth-given purpose is to destroy Goku.

Characters like Krillin, Tien and Yamcha being considered jokes has a lot to do with the fact that they are, if you start from Z, introduced as the defenders of the Earth and then get their heads blown off against the weakling henchmen. It also robs perspective on how earth-shattering the powers of the Saiyans are. If you started from Dragon Ball you know how much they've been through together by this point, and Krillin in particular gets to spend barely any time with Goku prior to Namek and so his death means much less.

In short, starting from Z has meant that there has been some pretty significant mis-interpetation of several very important characters, including the main character.
worked fine as in was successful and didn't completely confuse the audience. You of course miss some context by skipping around.
But sometimes it can work. "No, I am your father" wouldn't have been as big of a deal and definitely not as big of a shock if the story had actually released in the same form but in order.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 pm

There's so much great stuff in DB, I don't know why anyone would intentionally skip it. It's a pet peeve of mind when people feel little to no desire to go back and watch it. Even "I'll get around to it" bugs me, especially when I read it from people on this forum.

I don't know what your point is with the Empire Strikes Back example. The impact of that reveal doesn't work as well if we know that information going in.
Last edited by ABED on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Wes Craven's New Nightmare homage with the Dragon Ball staff, please 'kay, thanks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 pm Wes Craven's New Nightmare homage with the Dragon Ball staff, please 'kay, thanks.
The meta movie? That film was god awful.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:10 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:01 pm worked fine as in was successful and didn't completely confuse the audience. You of course miss some context by skipping around.
But sometimes it can work. "No, I am your father" wouldn't have been as big of a deal and definitely not as big of a shock if the story had actually released in the same form but in order.
Also caused the massive split in the fanbase that's left the first half of the story an obscure, seemingly irrelevant relic.

Also, the prequels ruining the I am your Father reveal and Yoda is 100% the fault of Lucas' storytelling decisions, not the order the audience viewed the story.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:11 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 pm Wes Craven's New Nightmare homage with the Dragon Ball staff, please 'kay, thanks.
Cool, hire someone who can make a good movie. Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger had a similar theme and it was a lot of fun.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:11 pm
Cool, hire someone who can make a good movie. Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger had a similar theme and it was a lot of fun.
Craven can make good movies. Never seen Akibaranger so I can't comment. Meta humor has its place, and I enjoyed the episode of Supernatural that did something like this, but that's a small show that has over 300 episodes. A live action film made for millions, especially something as expensive as a hypothetical DB film would be SO self indulgent if it went down this route.
Also, the prequels ruining the I am your Father reveal and Yoda is 100% the fault of Lucas' storytelling decisions, not the order the audience viewed the story.
To be fair, that reveal was ruined well before the prequels. The oft misquoted "I am your father" is one of the most well known quotes in popular culture, so much so that even if you never saw a single film, you know that line and who said it to whom.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Did you see Scream? His 2nd attempt at a meta movie.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:23 pm
Did you see Scream? His 2nd attempt at a meta movie.
There's meta humor, but at its core, it's a very solid thriller. There's a difference between meta humor and a meta film. Explicitly pointing out genre tropes is not the same as having actors play themselves on screen. The latter is indulgent, the former generally has a point to make, usually "wow, these recurring elements are overused often by hacks".

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:37 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 pm There's so much great stuff in DB, I don't know why anyone would intentionally skip it. It's a pet peeve of mind when people feel little to no desire to go back and watch it. Even "I'll get around to it" bugs me, especially when I read it from people on this forum.
But unless they make tons of movies that's what would happen with a retelling in live action. It won't be like the Disney movies where they have a similar runtime. And then you would have different continuity versions where in the retelling version those things just didn't happen or were changed, where as with a recap continuation version you wouldn't have that issue.