Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:40 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am For instance, I agree that the Cell arc would be very difficult to adapt in a satisfying way. That arc is very plot heavy with a lot of turns, not the least of which is the two pivots from who we think the main villains are. Do you make it two movies? Do you end part 1 with the Cyborgs defeating the heroes and flying off to kill Goku? In that case, it doesn't feel like a climax, but if the series is successful enough to get that deep, does it matter that the film doesn't really have a climax?
With the Cell arc you have to simplify it a lot. Downplay Gero and the "It's actually 17 and 18" switch but keep their revolt, and introduce Cell much earlier too and have him be the villain who comes from Trunk's time.

In the case of Frieza, Cell and Buu, you can actually save a lot of time by reducing the number of transformations the characters. It's less iconic sure, but nobody really needs to see Imperfect Cell or Frieza's third form. Same with the opponents: you can remove Dodoria and Zarbon for example.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:40 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am For instance, I agree that the Cell arc would be very difficult to adapt in a satisfying way. That arc is very plot heavy with a lot of turns, not the least of which is the two pivots from who we think the main villains are. Do you make it two movies? Do you end part 1 with the Cyborgs defeating the heroes and flying off to kill Goku? In that case, it doesn't feel like a climax, but if the series is successful enough to get that deep, does it matter that the film doesn't really have a climax?
With the Cell arc you have to simplify it a lot. Downplay Gero and the "It's actually 17 and 18" switch but keep their revolt, and introduce Cell much earlier too and have him be the villain who comes from Trunk's time.

In the case of Frieza, Cell and Buu, you can actually save a lot of time by reducing the number of transformations the characters. It's less iconic sure, but nobody really needs to see Imperfect Cell or Frieza's third form. Same with the opponents: you can remove Dodoria and Zarbon for example.
In essence, I agree. An adaptation would have to simplify things. There's no way you can condense all that and give any of it its due. For a DB movie, I wouldn't tax anyone's patience. 2 hours without credits max. The films need to be propulsive
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm

I'd probably settle for a movie with an original storyline, rather than try to adapt everything. Everyone knows the story, so all one needs is to put the characters in a live-action setting and give them a good story to joke/fight over.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:08 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm I'd probably settle for a movie with an original storyline, rather than try to adapt everything. Everyone knows the story, so all one needs is to put the characters in a live-action setting and give them a good story to joke/fight over.
If it's going to be a movie with a good sized budget, then it has to be aimed at a mainstream audience who knows the name but not the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:26 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm I'd probably settle for a movie with an original storyline, rather than try to adapt everything. Everyone knows the story, so all one needs is to put the characters in a live-action setting and give them a good story to joke/fight over.
I agree. I still think Goku coming across literal vampires is weird, but the first two OG Dragon Ball movies worked pretty alright by starting from a place in the anime but then diverting to an original storyline. It makes it MUCH easier on the pacing.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm

I don't like the idea of original storylines. The series has more than enough story to adapt. To me it's more a matter of figuring out the "how".

I like the idea mentioned of Pilaf being affiliated with the Red Ribbon Army. I could see Red Ribbon remaining a presence for about three films, with an interest in the occult and desire for world domination that ultimately leads to Piccolo's resurrection.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm I don't like the idea of original storylines. The series has more than enough story to adapt. To me it's more a matter of figuring out the "how".
I disagree due to the nature of how those stories were written. They're very long-term and a lot of it just doesn't work as well when told truncated and very quickly, especially the big ones like Red Ribbon, Namek and Buu. It can be done, but an original story will play much better and can explore the same themes more effectively for the shorter movie format.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Should be just as awesome as the Ghost In The Shell movie.

Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm I don't like the idea of original storylines. The series has more than enough story to adapt. To me it's more a matter of figuring out the "how".
I disagree due to the nature of how those stories were written. They're very long-term and a lot of it just doesn't work as well when told truncated and very quickly, especially the big ones like Red Ribbon, Namek and Buu. It can be done, but an original story will play much better and can explore the same themes more effectively for the shorter movie format.
But at what point do original storylines turn Dragon Ball into something else entirely? Won't the fan base be turned off by that kind of thing? I think there's a risk that audiences will respond poorly to seeing their favorite plots tossed aside in favor of something unrelated. It's also messing with audience expectations for a studio to release a big project like DB only to end up with an original tale. I'm not sure I can see anyone signing off on that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 pm But at what point do original storylines turn Dragon Ball into something else entirely? Won't the fan base be turned off by that kind of thing? I think there's a risk that audiences will respond poorly to seeing their favorite plots tossed aside in favor of something unrelated. It's also messing with audience expectations for a studio to release a big project like DB only to end up with an original tale. I'm not sure I can see anyone signing off on that.
Not to compare Dragon Ball to superheoes again, but so often audiences don't even know that their favourite Marvel movies take their inspiration from specific comic book storylines. Only Civil War and Infinity War were overt enough to put it in the title itself, and a lot like the original Avengers, Endgame, Homecoming, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man and more only use specific characters but not specific stories.

Especially for early Dragon Ball, general audiences won't really care if a specific arc isn't 90% adapted faithfully to the big screen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:24 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm
Going to disagree. With a few changes and good directing and planning the storylines can be kept mostly in tact. Here's a fee ideas for changes to divide the story into 120-180 minute movies. https://pastebin.com/raw/cNie7GRb
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 pm

A three hour DB movie? kill me, kill me now.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:17 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 pm A three hour DB movie? kill me, kill me now.
I sorry you have no experience with good directing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 pm But at what point do original storylines turn Dragon Ball into something else entirely? Won't the fan base be turned off by that kind of thing? I think there's a risk that audiences will respond poorly to seeing their favorite plots tossed aside in favor of something unrelated. It's also messing with audience expectations for a studio to release a big project like DB only to end up with an original tale. I'm not sure I can see anyone signing off on that.
Not to compare Dragon Ball to superheoes again, but so often audiences don't even know that their favourite Marvel movies take their inspiration from specific comic book storylines. Only Civil War and Infinity War were overt enough to put it in the title itself, and a lot like the original Avengers, Endgame, Homecoming, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man and more only use specific characters but not specific stories.

Especially for early Dragon Ball, general audiences won't really care if a specific arc isn't 90% adapted faithfully to the big screen.
Technically, Infinity War was actually based on Infinity Gauntlet. I’m pretty sure they just named it the former because it sounds cooler.

Anyway, I can’t imagine how exactly a Dragon Ball adaptation that tries to tell an original story would work. Even DBE, despite all the liberties it took, was still clearly based on the Pilaf and Piccolo Daimao arcs.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 pm Anyway, I can’t imagine how exactly a Dragon Ball adaptation that tries to tell an original story would work. Even DBE, despite all the liberties it took, was still clearly based on the Pilaf and Piccolo Daimao arcs.
Rare piece of credit where it's due, at least it had the common sense to start from the start.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:17 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 pm A three hour DB movie? kill me, kill me now.
I sorry you have no experience with good directing.
... good one, Bizarro :) It should be noted I wrote "a three hour DB movie" with emphasis on DB, not three hours. I've seen plenty of three hour films I enjoy.

A DB film needs to move. It's an action based series; it needs to be propulsive. Three hours for DB feels incredibly indulgent. I'm fine with a three hour movie that earns its runtime, but DB is bound to not be that kind of film. There's a reason action films, thrillers, and even comedies typically keep the running times relatively low. It's all about narrative momentum.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:53 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:26 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 pm I can see why people want Goku to be Asian since he is a gag version of Sun Wukong and Journey to the West is a story from China. With Vegeta, and Nappa, I can see a white person or a different person of color playing them. Planet Vegeta is probably diverse much like Earth with their culture.
The Asian argument to me personally isn't that strong with Dragonball anyway as its not set in Japan. Character like Kuririn seem to be based on monks so you could argue he and other characters are Asian but others seem to be other races.
Take one look at Yamcha, Roshi, Tien, Chiaotzu, Chi-Chi and Ox King and then try to tell me their characters aren't Asian.

I won't which is why I said some of them are. Bulma for example I always imagined of European descent while the Androids 17 and 18 also seemed caucasian to me. Goku and Vegeta could be any race that has white skin tone.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 am

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
I agree with this. I honestly think that a multiple season, long form live action TV show like Game of Thrones or Walking Dead would work better than a theatrical film.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:15 am

I always imagined Bulma as white, seeing as she's from West City and her name is a pun on an English word... but I'd much rather her be Asian than the other, CLEARLY asian (or asian looking, for you "but they're alieeeeeens" crybabies) characters be race swapped.

However, none of that matters since it's Disney, so it will probably suck balls, like Star Wars or everything Marvel that's not made by the Russos, or their live-action remakes... If it even is true, that is.

Also, if there is someone who actually wants to make this movie but has trouble due to shareholders or higher-ups thinking Evolution bombing means Dragon Ball isn't fit for a movie, or profitable etc. ... well, they just need to show those guys half an episode of the show and then the trailer for that movie and any moron will be able to see nobody went to watch it because it looks NOTHING like the source material.

Hey, here's an idea for a YouTube video, too: what if Disney is developing Super 2, continuing from Broly, in live-action???
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW