Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4492
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 pm

omegacwa wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 am
ABED wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm
Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
I agree with this. I honestly think that a multiple season, long form live action TV show like Game of Thrones or Walking Dead would work better than a theatrical film.
Maybe animated too. Damn, shame we don't have one of those!

User avatar
omegacwa
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 pm
omegacwa wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 am
ABED wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm
Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
I agree with this. I honestly think that a multiple season, long form live action TV show like Game of Thrones or Walking Dead would work better than a theatrical film.
Maybe animated too. Damn, shame we don't have one of those!
You're funny :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:38 pm

The fact that it doesn’t seem like any other outlets have picked up on this story only serves to further convince me that this is just another example of WGTC talking out of their ass.

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
Regular
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm

I'm open to the possibility. It couldn't be any worse than Dragon Ball Evolution, right? lol

User avatar
omegacwa
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:38 pm
The fact that it doesn’t seem like any other outlets have picked up on this story only serves to further convince me that this is just another example of WGTC talking out of their ass.
Unfortunately this is the society we live in now. Everything is click bait and embellished to extreme degrees or just straight up made up in order to drive people to websites or videos in order to gain ad revenue. Not only is this a problem in entertainment but in the news as well when a "news outlet" picks up a minor story or incident and blows it up like it's a big deal and then everyone freaks out over it.

Case in point. We are already multiple pages into a discussion that was started by a possibly completely made up "news report".

Here another example:

"See Robert Pattinson in his batsuit!"
clicks link
"See Robert Pattinson in his batsuit fan art!"

They know damn well people didn't click the link to see fan art.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3574
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:31 pm

Here's how I'd pitch live action Dragon Ball...

Movie 1:
A mixture of Pilaf and Red Ribbon. Kinda like the first DB movie and the 10th anniversary movie. And like those movies, the filmmakers shouldn't be afraid to make changes if they think it makes a better movie. Just keep the core feel, the character interactions, etc.

Movie 2:
Tournament movie. Probably with Tenshinhan. Have a stinger that teases Piccolo.

Movie 3:
Piccolo movie. Covers the entire Piccolo story.

Movie 4:
Saiyan movie.

Movie 5:
Namek movie

Movie 6:
Cyborgs. Tell this one from Trunks's perspective, start off essentially doing a rewritten telling of the Trunks special, or possibly intersperse the movie with Trunks's history. End with a cliffhanger as everyone is licking their wounds from having failed to beat the cyborgs, and the other time machine has shown up.

Movie 7:
Cell. Tell this one from Gohan's perspective, make it his story. The story of him essentially growing up.

Movie 8:
Boo. The whole thing. The original Boo arc was a huge mess, so streamline/change it as needed.

And that's the entire original manga, adapted into a way that'd work really well for a series of movies over the period of roughly a decade.
It'd probably be a bit like Harry Potter; you'd probably end up going through a few different directors, and the mood of the thing would subtly change as the series goes on, but it'd ultimately be one cohesive story following one cast of characters, released over about ten years.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4492
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:38 pm

omegacwa wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:26 pm
Case in point. We are already multiple pages into a discussion that was started by a possibly completely made up "news report".
I don't think anyone is under the illusion here that this is ACTUALLY happening based on that "news" item. Dragon Ball is a tough nut to crack when it comes to how you adapt such a varied and long-form multi-arc story into a series of live-action movies, and so it's ripe for discussion.
ZeroNeonix wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm
I'm open to the possibility. It couldn't be any worse than Dragon Ball Evolution, right? lol
You haven't seen the unofficial Chinese Dragon Ball movie, have you?

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:29 am

Technically, Infinity War was actually based on Infinity Gauntlet. I’m pretty sure they just named it the former because it sounds cooler.
If by "based on" you mean they both have a person named Thanos and an object called the Infinity Gauntlet but are otherwise radically different from start to finish.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:29 am
Technically, Infinity War was actually based on Infinity Gauntlet. I’m pretty sure they just named it the former because it sounds cooler.
If by "based on" you mean they both have a person named Thanos and an object called the Infinity Gauntlet but are otherwise radically different from start to finish.
Both stories involve Thanos wiping out half of all life in the universe, both stories have someone warning Doctor Strange that “Thanos is coming” and both stories end with Thanos on a farm. I never said it lifted the story of the comics wholesale, but it clearly took some inspiration from it.

Anyway, we probably shouldn’t continue getting off-topic here.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14017
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm

ABED wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm
Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
You have superhero comics that have one single story with a single unified continuity. Look at Watchmen, Hellboy, Spawn, etc. for example.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17427
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm
ABED wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm
Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
You have superhero comics that have one single story with a single unified continuity. Look at Watchmen, Hellboy, Spawn, etc. for example.
Watchmen was a single graphic novel. It's a self contained story. I haven't read Spawn or Hellboy so I can't speak to those, but you know what I mean. Generally speaking, superhero comics are not all in the same continuity from when they first began publishing. The Superman of 2019 is not the same Superman from 1938.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13167
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

We could always just combine the plots of various arcs, I suppose. Personally, I would combine Movie #3 and Movie #17. Maybe something like this?
Who knows? Hmm...
She/Her | TFW no DiMA...

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 pm

ABED wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:51 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm
ABED wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm
Superhero comics aren't the same thing at all. They aren't one single story with a single unified continuity. It's a bunch of different takes on the same characters over decades. Approaching adapting DB is more like adapting a series of novels like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
You have superhero comics that have one single story with a single unified continuity. Look at Watchmen, Hellboy, Spawn, etc. for example.
Watchmen was a single graphic novel. It's a self contained story. I haven't read Spawn or Hellboy so I can't speak to those, but you know what I mean. Generally speaking, superhero comics are not all in the same continuity from when they first began publishing. The Superman of 2019 is not the same Superman from 1938.
Technically, most of Marvel’s characters are in the same continuity as when they first began, since the main Marvel continuity takes place in the 616 universe. Of course, that continuity has been subject to numerous retcons.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17427
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 pm
ABED wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:51 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm


You have superhero comics that have one single story with a single unified continuity. Look at Watchmen, Hellboy, Spawn, etc. for example.
Watchmen was a single graphic novel. It's a self contained story. I haven't read Spawn or Hellboy so I can't speak to those, but you know what I mean. Generally speaking, superhero comics are not all in the same continuity from when they first began publishing. The Superman of 2019 is not the same Superman from 1938.
Technically, most of Marvel’s characters are in the same continuity as when they first began, since the main Marvel continuity takes place in the 616 universe. Of course, that continuity has been subject to numerous retcons.
The argument wasn't about technicalities. The fact of the matter is that US Superhero comics are OVERWHELMINGLY (the ones they make franchises out of) ones that have a bunch of different stories with differing degrees of continuity, origins, and characterizations, that adaptations can pick and choose which elements to adapt. DB is one story with a single lengthy continuity where the characters are how Toriyama defined them and with the exception of Bardock, have the one origin he gave them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 pm

I agree that the multiple continuities is really more of a DC thing than a Marvel thing, and even then only amounts to so much.

I think the difference between Dragon Ball and traditional American comic books has more to do with the length of publication and the format/structural nature. DB only went for like ten years, while Marvel/DC stuff was published for forty, fifty, sixty years before films were made. DB is serialized and continuous, while Marvel/DC alternate from telling single issue stories to multi-issue arcs to years long sagas, and the narrative structure and characterization much more varied and flexible. I don't think having different creative teams coming and going or different continuities is all that significant in the context of adapting manga/anime versus comic books.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17427
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 pm

It's VERY important. Every writer brings their own voice and experiences to what they are writing. Miller's take on Batman is vastly different from Scott Snyder's take whose take is very different from Gardner Fox's. You're telling me that adapting something like that isn't very different than adapting a single author's work? In the former situation, adaptation is much more open to interpretation and changes than the latter. Then there's the issue of popularity. The more popular, the greater the expectation of a more faithful adaptation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Frank Miller's "take" on Batman doesn't amount to much more than Y1 and DKR, and those stories have little to do with the larger Batman mythos, so I can see why it would be considered "vastly different" from other creators.

I guess I was thinking more about Marvel's history in terms or writer/artists, where creators come and go, but oftentimes the characterization remains the same or changes only slightly. The characters might develop, and the plots might change, but that's not exactly a reflection of one author's personal voice or experience. Or if it is, it doesn't necessarily break from what was done previously. Especially under the same editor or within the same era. DC does this too. How different was Gerry Conway's Batman from Len Wein's, and then Moench from Conway? It's not always a dramatic shift in vision from creator to creator.

So I guess you could call it important to a degree, but I don't think it matters much when you're looking at decades and decades worth of material to start with. There's already enough to worry about upfront with all of the different stories and characters to adapt. Compared to that task, adapting something like Dragon Ball would seem like a breeze, at least on the surface.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1939
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 am

Assuming Disney wanted to do a Dragonball movie I would start with DBZ and Do Dragonball as Disney + show.

User avatar
Wilderness
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Basildon, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Wilderness » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:32 am

Ha! Disney adaptation DB movie. I'd be open for it. Probably would mean we'd get Kingdom Hearts Union X medals.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4492
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 am
Assuming Disney wanted to do a Dragonball movie I would start with DBZ and Do Dragonball as Disney + show.
I would prefer them NOT start in the middle of the story. That's like telling someone to start with The Force Awakens.

Post Reply