Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 pm
ABED wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 pm
The fundamental problem in Hollywood, moreso in regards to blockbusters, is that its approach isn't long term oriented. They put films into production with a release date before they even have finished scripts. Theatrical release windows are shorter which doesn't allow for as much word of mouth for riskier films to find their audiences. VFX houses either aren't given enough time or they are, but start before the script has been completed so instead of great sequences that help tell the story and pay something off, we get some cool sequences and that's about it. Studios seem to be putting nearly all their eggs in one basket. The fault lies with studios, not directors.

Toriyama seemed to write his stories in ways to not give fans what they wanted and I wish Hollywood would take a page out of his book. Fans are getting more and more of what they want and yet they are still complaining. They've been indulged to the point of becoming entitled.

Anyhoooooooo, this rumor doesn't sound legit, nor does it sound like a good idea in the slightest.
Writing stories specifically to avoid pleasing the fans probably isn’t the smartest idea, as we’ve seen from something like The Last Jedi. As much as I dislike shallow fan service, I also don’t like the idea of making creative decisions based on what’s most likely to piss off or disappoint fans.
What the hell was it about TLJ that still pisses people off so much even two years removed? Johnson is too nice a guy to intentionally avoid doing something because it would please people. He told a story that was actually more true to Star Wars than one would assume because most don't truly know what SW is at its core.

Here's the thing, there's no way to know what "fans" will want or that giving them what they say they want will satiate them. We are living in the golden age of geekdom and yet they can't stop complaining. An artist has to go with their gut and what's best for the story since the stories are what made people fans to begin with.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 am

I think the only reason Last Jedi was what sent many SW fans into a frenzy rather than Force Awakens was that it had Luke Skywalker in it. I'm not sure if there really would be a way to actually please the majority of hardcore fans (which they weren't trying to do, since they make the movies for broad audiences, and that's why most casual watchers and critics liked it), but the way they took the character was unconventional and decidedly tragic, and many viewed Luke Skywalker as an indominable force of goodness by the end of RotJ. To see him in such a state as he is at the start of the movie at all was enough, it didn't matter that making him act like a hero was the entire point of his arc.

Everything else was just an extrapolation from there. Issues like pacing, dialogue and tone are undoubtedly there with the movie, but if it weren't for Luke being the way he was I think fans wouldn't have cared any more or less about them than they did with Rogue 1 or Force Awakens, which had a lot of really similar issues.

And yes, I really don't think the whole "anti-SJW" brigade is responsible for the hate wave the movie got. They were able to ride that wave and scoop more people into reactionary groups, sure, but they pulled the same "too political" stuff when Finn episode 7 dared to star a black man and a woman and were much more ignored by the community.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 am

Shaddy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 am
I think the only reason Last Jedi was what sent many SW fans into a frenzy rather than Force Awakens was that it had Luke Skywalker in it. I'm not sure if there really would be a way to actually please the majority of hardcore fans (which they weren't trying to do, since they make the movies for broad audiences, and that's why most casual watchers and critics liked it), but the way they took the character was unconventional and decidedly tragic, and many viewed Luke Skywalker as an indominable force of goodness by the end of RotJ. To see him in such a state as he is at the start of the movie at all was enough, it didn't matter that making him act like a hero was the entire point of his arc.

Everything else was just an extrapolation from there. Issues like pacing, dialogue and tone are undoubtedly there with the movie, but if it weren't for Luke being the way he was I think fans wouldn't have cared any more or less about them than they did with Rogue 1 or Force Awakens, which had a lot of really similar issues.

And yes, I really don't think the whole "anti-SJW" brigade is responsible for the hate wave the movie got. They were able to ride that wave and scoop more people into reactionary groups, sure, but they pulled the same "too political" stuff when Finn episode 7 dared to star a black man and a woman and were much more ignored by the community.
This is thoughtful and I very much agree with you, except for your critique of the tone. I had no issue with the tone. How Luke (being he's typically the audience identification character) was used in the film being the fundamental reason is something I had thought of, but wasn't quite able to articulate.

Keeping this about DB, I don't think Toriyama was a masochist. I think he was saying he wanted to do what was best for his story regardless of whether it gave the fans exactly what they wanted when they wanted. Given DB's popularity I'm at least a little surprised I haven't heard anything about some studio at least developing a DB movie.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 3749
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by emperior » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 am

Honestly this sounds interesting.
I never cared for DBE, never watched it because it looked like shit and know very well it’s a disaster of a movie but its existence doesn’t change my view on the franchise.

A DB movie by Disney has the potential to be good. They will know very well they can’t get it wrong considering the taste Evolution left in people’s mouths.
Also I feel like this time around Toriyama may be involved with the script, at least giving it an okay.

A true to DB live action movie is something I want to see in my life, so even if it doesn’t turn out perfect as long as it’s faithful to the manga then I will watch it.

As for what story they may tell, I think a revisiting of the Saiyan arc + Freeza could work. Hopefully if this happens it will be longer than 2.5 hours.
What I consider the Dragon Ball canon

Favorite Dragon Ball Arcs

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 3:30 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:58 am

ABED wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 am
WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 pm
ABED wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 pm
The fundamental problem in Hollywood, moreso in regards to blockbusters, is that its approach isn't long term oriented. They put films into production with a release date before they even have finished scripts. Theatrical release windows are shorter which doesn't allow for as much word of mouth for riskier films to find their audiences. VFX houses either aren't given enough time or they are, but start before the script has been completed so instead of great sequences that help tell the story and pay something off, we get some cool sequences and that's about it. Studios seem to be putting nearly all their eggs in one basket. The fault lies with studios, not directors.

Toriyama seemed to write his stories in ways to not give fans what they wanted and I wish Hollywood would take a page out of his book. Fans are getting more and more of what they want and yet they are still complaining. They've been indulged to the point of becoming entitled.

Anyhoooooooo, this rumor doesn't sound legit, nor does it sound like a good idea in the slightest.
Writing stories specifically to avoid pleasing the fans probably isn’t the smartest idea, as we’ve seen from something like The Last Jedi. As much as I dislike shallow fan service, I also don’t like the idea of making creative decisions based on what’s most likely to piss off or disappoint fans.
What the hell was it about TLJ that still pisses people off so much even two years removed? Johnson is too nice a guy to intentionally avoid doing something because it would please people. He told a story that was actually more true to Star Wars than one would assume because most don't truly know what SW is at its core.

Here's the thing, there's no way to know what "fans" will want or that giving them what they say they want will satiate them. We are living in the golden age of geekdom and yet they can't stop complaining. An artist has to go with their gut and what's best for the story since the stories are what made people fans to begin with.
The Last Jedi simply sucked. It’s the first Star Wars movie I’ve ever watched that I didn’t like, and the only one I’ve only seen once. It shat all over the canon and it just isn’t a good movie. I do know what Star Wars is at its core, and I vehemently disagree with you. George Lucas isn’t on board with the direction these new movies are taking either, but I don’t need his opinion to validate my own. I went to the theater fully expecting to enjoy the film, having liked Force Awakens and Rogue One a lot. I walked out of the cinema disappointed, along with my best friend and girlfriend at the time. We were talking about how crappy the movie was on the way home, and none of us had seen a Star Wars movie to that point that we didn’t like. If you like TLJ, good for you. Plenty of people don’t and for good reason. Speaking as a staunch conservative who never voted until Trump ran for office, my criticisms of the movie have absolutely nothing to do with so called anti-SJW rhetoric or anything to do with politics. I didn’t even realize there were politically inspired criticisms of the movie until I read them on the Internet. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

User avatar
Mister_Popo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am

I agree that, if Disney would make a live-action movie, it'll probably be a lotter "better" than Evolution.
Better is very relative within this equation for me, since DB is a manga and anime in my mind.
Just like SW didn't work for me as a cartoon, i highly doubt DB will work for me as a live-action movie.
That's also the reason why i like DC Animated movies more than Marvel live-action movies.
The medium simply fits the source material better in my opinion.
Chances are even high it will become a box office hit when Disney brings it, i just highly doubt i'll like it as much as in anime or manga format.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am

Ugh with the canon crap. I'll come right out and say it - screw canon. This is exactly like when people talk about DB's canon. Instead of caring more about the emotion and the characters, they care about whether there are continuity errors or if it all fits together nicely like a puzzle. What are the themes, do the characters act in character, is the plot propulsive, are the themes and story and characters integrated well? Those are the things that matter, not whether the writers forgets or just doesn't care about some esoteric bit of canon. It annoys me whenever I see threads on here and elsewhere that catalog inconsistencies like this or continuity errors. Isn't your time better spent on discussing the bigger issues of the narratives you enjoy?
I do know what Star Wars is at its core
Then what is it? Lucas isn't on board with the films because they are not bringing anything new to the table or they didn't go with his ideas, which by the way haven't been very good since 1983, which as coincidence would have it is the year he and his wife divorced. Star Wars is about subverting expectations and taking the audience to new places. That used to be what DB was as well. What a VERY small percentage want is for these things to adhere to canon and lore instead of telling a good story. It's like no one ever heard of refrigerator logic.

If Disney or anyone is developing a live action DB movie, hopefully they would use an Asian cast, and I think there's a more than good chance is what would happen.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 3:30 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am
Ugh with the canon crap. I'll come right out and say it - screw canon. This is exactly like when people talk about DB's canon. Instead of caring more about the emotion and the characters, they care about whether there are continuity errors or if it all fits together nicely like a puzzle. What are the themes, do the characters act in character, is the plot propulsive, are the themes and story and characters integrated well? Those are the things that matter, not whether the writers forgets or just doesn't care about some esoteric bit of canon. It annoys me whenever I see threads on here and elsewhere that catalog inconsistencies like this or continuity errors. Isn't your time better spent on discussing the bigger issues of the narratives you enjoy?
I do know what Star Wars is at its core
Then what is it? Lucas isn't on board with the films because they are not bringing anything new to the table or they didn't go with his ideas, which by the way haven't been very good since 1983, which as coincidence would have it is the year he and his wife divorced. Star Wars is about subverting expectations and taking the audience to new places. That used to be what DB was as well. What a VERY small percentage want is for these things to adhere to canon and lore instead of telling a good story. It's like no one ever heard of refrigerator logic.

If Disney or anyone is developing a live action DB movie, hopefully they would use an Asian cast, and I think there's a more than good chance is what would happen.
No, I don’t care if it “fits like a puzzle”. My gripe with the movie isn’t over nitpicky things, but thanks for assuming. lol The movie just crapped all over the story, and it doesn’t sit right with me. I’m not getting into a silly rhetorical argument with you about what Star Wars is or isn’t. I just know that TLJ was the first Star Wars movie I didn’t like, and I’m not alone in that opinion. I went into the cinema fully expecting to like it, and I didn’t. The movie just isn’t good. I’m a huge fan of Star Wars, and if you want to assume everyone who disagrees with you “doesn’t know what Star Wars is”, then go on looking like a pretentious asshole. The movie sucked when it came out, and it still sucks 2 years later. Why would that change? You’ll just have to get over the fact that tons of people disagree with you. I think criticism for the prequel trilogy, especially episodes 2 and 3, as well as the hatred and vitriol directed towards Lucas for making them, is overly harsh and hugely overstated, but I’m not gonna argue that the films’ critics “don’t know what Star Wars is” just because I disagree with them. I like just about every Star Wars movie that has come out, including Force Awakens and Rogue One—and I like The Mandalorian so far. When all is said and done, I don’t think the sequel trilogy will be as timeless as the original saga, and there’s a reason for that. We can agree to disagree. That’s all I have to say about that.

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Vijay wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:25 am
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am
I have an asian friend on Facebook who is a small time actor, and he announced he got the part on an upcoming Dragon Ball movie.

Use to know him in real life from Community College, but haven't spoke with him in years.
Now we're talkin...how does ur friend look like...if u can make a comparison to any DB/Z character...curious...
Actually, now that I've read through more of his comments on FB, he might have been joking. :x But he actually is an actor, and word of a Dragon Ball movie apparently somehow got to him.

Anyway, his name is Rye Burgos. You can Google him and see what he looks like. He also has a sister named Loren Burgos who is also an actress. They're both Filipino. I knew both of them from back in college.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am
Ugh with the canon crap. I'll come right out and say it - screw canon. This is exactly like when people talk about DB's canon. Instead of caring more about the emotion and the characters, they care about whether there are continuity errors or if it all fits together nicely like a puzzle. What are the themes, do the characters act in character, is the plot propulsive, are the themes and story and characters integrated well? Those are the things that matter, not whether the writers forgets or just doesn't care about some esoteric bit of canon. It annoys me whenever I see threads on here and elsewhere that catalog inconsistencies like this or continuity errors. Isn't your time better spent on discussing the bigger issues of the narratives you enjoy?
I do know what Star Wars is at its core
Then what is it? Lucas isn't on board with the films because they are not bringing anything new to the table or they didn't go with his ideas, which by the way haven't been very good since 1983, which as coincidence would have it is the year he and his wife divorced. Star Wars is about subverting expectations and taking the audience to new places. That used to be what DB was as well. What a VERY small percentage want is for these things to adhere to canon and lore instead of telling a good story. It's like no one ever heard of refrigerator logic.

If Disney or anyone is developing a live action DB movie, hopefully they would use an Asian cast, and I think there's a more than good chance is what would happen.
No, I don’t care if it “fits like a puzzle”. My gripe with the movie isn’t over nitpicky things, but thanks for assuming. lol The movie just crapped all over the story, and it doesn’t sit right with me. I’m not getting into a silly rhetorical argument with you about what Star Wars is or isn’t. I just know that TLJ was the first Star Wars movie I didn’t like, and I’m not alone in that opinion. I went into the cinema fully expecting to like it, and I didn’t. The movie just isn’t good. I’m a huge fan of Star Wars, and if you want to assume everyone who disagrees with you “doesn’t know what Star Wars is”, then go on looking like a pretentious asshole. The movie sucked when it came out, and it still sucks 2 years later. Why would that change? You’ll just have to get over the fact that tons of people disagree with you. I think criticism for the prequel trilogy, especially episodes 2 and 3, as well as the hatred and vitriol directed towards Lucas for making them, is overly harsh and hugely overstated, but I’m not gonna argue that the films’ critics “don’t know what Star Wars is” just because I disagree with them. I like just about every Star Wars movie that has come out, including Force Awakens and Rogue One—and I like The Mandalorian so far. When all is said and done, I don’t think the sequel trilogy will be as timeless as the original saga, and there’s a reason for that. We can agree to disagree. That’s all I have to say about that.
I'm sorry if your takeaway from my post is those that disagree with me don't know Star Wars. I'm not bothered by people not liking what I like. I'm questioning why such a toxic response to this or anything else for that matter? I'll try to be clearer in the future.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Personally, I think Disney could make a great Pixar-styled animated Dragon Ball movie (it would have to be based on classic Dragon Ball and not Z, or Super as I think that animation style wouldn't work too well for those series).

I could see live-action working too, if done right, and if it's Disney doing it. But it can also turn out horrible.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 pm
Personally, I think Disney could make a great Pixar-styled animated Dragon Ball movie (it would have to be based on classic Dragon Ball and not Z, or Super as I think that animation style wouldn't work too well for those series).

I could see live-action working too, if done right, and if it's Disney doing it. But it can also turn out horrible.
Pixar movies all kind of just blend together at this point. Same goes for the films by Walt Disney Animation. If there ever were to be an animated Dragon Ball movie in the west, I’d rather it be something more akin to Into the Spider-Verse.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:10 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 am
This is thoughtful and I very much agree with you, except for your critique of the tone. I had no issue with the tone.
Over the broad strokes of the movie it was fine, I just meant certain scenes. The way things start off with a long gag with Hux, the bizarre and unintentionally-funny "flying space Leia" sequence, having episode 7 end with a long-ass powerful shot of Rey and Luke only for it to be a punchline, and Rose's fantastically bad "save what you love' speech. It's about not sacrificing yourself pointlessly and fighting in the name of hate, and other Yoda shit like that. A totally great message, but she words it so badly I had no idea what the fuck she was talking about. It doesn't help that "don't sacrifice yourself pointlessly" comes from someone who just crashed her ship into someone else, which could definitely have killed both of them.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:10 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 am
This is thoughtful and I very much agree with you, except for your critique of the tone. I had no issue with the tone.
Over the broad strokes of the movie it was fine, I just meant certain scenes. The way things start off with a long gag with Hux, the bizarre and unintentionally-funny "flying space Leia" sequence, having episode 7 end with a long-ass powerful shot of Rey and Luke only for it to be a punchline, and Rose's fantastically bad "save what you love' speech. It's about not sacrificing yourself pointlessly and fighting in the name of hate, and other Yoda shit like that. A totally great message, but she words it so badly I had no idea what the fuck she was talking about. It doesn't help that "don't sacrifice yourself pointlessly" comes from someone who just crashed her ship into someone else, which could definitely have killed both of them.
At the risk of getting too far off topic, I think the big problem with Rose’s speech is that Holdo had already sacrificed herself in a similar manner to what Finn was getting ready to do, and her actions were painted as noble. Kind of a mixed message there.

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Pixar movies all kind of just blend together at this point. Same goes for the films by Walt Disney Animation.
Both of those studios have the same sort of style. I didn't mean Pixar themselves have to do it. Just that it could be sort of Pixar-styled.

Something like what the game Overwatch does with its superhero motif as seen in its animated shorts. They combine it nicely with a Pixar-esq style. (I guess The Incredibles also does this, but that is also far more cartoony in tone than Overwatch).

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:18 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Pixar movies all kind of just blend together at this point. Same goes for the films by Walt Disney Animation.
Both of those studios have the same sort of style. I didn't mean Pixar themselves have to do it. Just that it could be sort of Pixar-styled.

Something like what the game Overwatch does with its superhero motif as seen in its animated shorts. They combine it nicely with a Pixar-esq style. (I guess The Incredibles also does this, but that is also far more cartoony in tone than Overwatch).
I’d rather a Hollywood produced Dragon Ball animated film try to replicate the style of the Dragon Ball manga, similar to how Into the Spider-Verse replicated the style of the Spider-Man comics. The Disney style of animation is just too generic and “clean”, in my opinion.

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:24 pm


I’d rather a Hollywood produced Dragon Ball animated film try to replicate the style of the Dragon Ball manga, similar to how Into the Spider-Verse replicated the style of the Spider-Man comics. The Disney style of animation is just too generic and “clean”, in my opinion.
The Dragon Ball (Z and Super as well) anime is already an animation style that's based off of the manga. If we're to get another movie that's more based on the art style of the manga, it might as well be Toei making another movie that's part of the main canon, and not Disney doing their own take on it. We literally just got that with Broly.

If Disney is doing their own take on the Dragon Ball franchise, I'd like it to be done in a style that meshes well with Dragon Ball, but not too similar that it just looks like something Toei would have already done. Maybe it doesn't even have to be 3D Pixar style. Maybe it could be a 2D style that something similar to Mulan (I honestly really wish Disney would go back to making more 2D animated films in general).

Spider-Man is a different case because, unlike Japan, the West doesn't make animated series that are based directly on comic series. It makes loose adaptations and Into the Spiderverse's art style is a nice nod to comic book style. It's akin to what the anime/manga series does on a regular basis. I don't think we need Disney to do something like that, because we already have that in abundance from Toei animation.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13995
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I don't want them to make a DB movie because Disney has a bad track record with their movies recently. Even the MCU movies are okay at best even for popcorn flick standers.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm
I don't want them to make a DB movie because Disney has a bad track record with their movies recently. Even the MCU movies are okay at best even for popcorn flick standers.
Disney probably won’t make one anyway. They’re too preoccupied with Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, Pixar, and the live action remakes.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:10 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 am
This is thoughtful and I very much agree with you, except for your critique of the tone. I had no issue with the tone.
Over the broad strokes of the movie it was fine, I just meant certain scenes. The way things start off with a long gag with Hux, the bizarre and unintentionally-funny "flying space Leia" sequence, having episode 7 end with a long-ass powerful shot of Rey and Luke only for it to be a punchline, and Rose's fantastically bad "save what you love' speech. It's about not sacrificing yourself pointlessly and fighting in the name of hate, and other Yoda shit like that. A totally great message, but she words it so badly I had no idea what the fuck she was talking about. It doesn't help that "don't sacrifice yourself pointlessly" comes from someone who just crashed her ship into someone else, which could definitely have killed both of them.
Shaddy, you're mixing up tone and "unintentionally funny". We can quibble about execution but that's not what I'm talking about regarding tone. And I love that they undercut the end of 7, but it wasn't an FU to the audience. It was done for a specific reason - to key the audience into Luke's headspace. We may venerate Luke, but he doesn't care about it anymore. That's how far he's fallen. Regarding the crash, that's nitpicky not to mention it's a risky move vs. certain death. When I hear people talk about things being tonally uneven, it's like what they mean is things should have the same tone throughout. Humor even in a tense situation can be a wonderful thing depending on how and when it's done. Goku biting Freeza's tale in so cartoony a manner is great, whereas Trunks and Goten messing around after Goten's mother was just murdered is awful.

If Disney did a DB movie, even under a Fox banner, I would hope they remember it is a children's show.
I don't want them to make a DB movie because Disney has a bad track record with their movies recently. Even the MCU movies are okay at best even for popcorn flick standers.
What are you expecting out of a good DB film?
Disney probably won’t make one anyway. They’re too preoccupied with Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, Pixar, and the live action remakes.
In the mad rush for more TV and film properties, do you think Disney or anyone else would just say "nope, that's too much money on the table." We're in the era of the streaming wars, so I'm a little surprised live action DB isn't being talked about. Isn't Netflix making a live action One Piece?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply