Is admitting to have watched and liked Super like admitting to have done something 'naughty'?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Is admitting to have watched and liked Super like admitting to have done something 'naughty'?

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:07 pm It's rather something i seem to notice. The tendancy towards Super if you read reviews or even talk to people, is rather extremely critical. People almost don't seem to enjoy it or find it entertaining. At least not generally. But why doesn't this opinion translate into the numbers? Or the other way around, why don't the success numbers seem to translate into the opinions?
Is this really the "if it's so bad why does it do well" question? Popular media has always been filled with mediocre entertainment that prints money. The Transformers films dominated the box office, yet they were all critical flops.
The kinds of people who watch Dragon Ball Super varies massively, they'll be kids, teens, adults who want to revisit that series from their childhood, it's all over the map, and to further divide things you have different tiers of fans, casual/hardcore etc. Within all of this, the kinds of people who go out of their way to discuss it online will be a small percentage, and even within that percentage are the people who are critical about the media the digest.
This isn't really A Dragon Ball Super thing, it happens across tons of media.

The rest of the post was rather confusing , no one around here thinks the post Saiyan stuff is better because of "maturity", and the opinion that the pre - Saiyan content is superior to the post is pretty much a respected opinion in most Dragon Ball discussions these days, even if people don't agree.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: Is admitting to have watched and liked Super like admitting to have done something 'naughty'?

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:34 pm

I just overheard a conversation from some co-workers of mine the other day where one admitted they hadn't gotten around to watching Super yet. DBZ fans aren't all as up to date with the Current Internet Discourse as you'd expect. Not everyone has even heard from their friends that "Super is a trash show, Dragon Ball is bad now" and whatever people say.

Super has good stuff, especially in the second half when there's actually original stories going on, and if people disagree who cares. You're not going to die of shame because someone has a very different opinion to you.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:07 pm For all clearance, i feel by no means attacked by anyone personally or annoyed by others who deeply dislike Super.
I didn't like everything about Super either. That's not where this is about. I think we had plenty of other topics discussing that already.

It's rather something i seem to notice. The tendancy towards Super if you read reviews or even talk to people, is rather extremely critical. People almost don't seem to enjoy it or find it entertaining. At least not generally. But why doesn't this opinion translate into the numbers? Or the other way around, why don't the success numbers seem to translate into the opinions?

Could it have to do something with DBZ being more 'manly' than DBS? If you confirm watching and liking Super, which is somehow more lighthearted and childlike than DBZ, could it be like admitting you are watching something "you are not supposed to be watching for a person that has reached maturity", could it be something 'image' related? I know this does not make sense for everyone. Some people may not care about image, but a lot of others certainly do, in reality but even on the internet.

It's my impression, that is of course subjective: could be right, could be false. Just wanted to collect some thoughts about this seeming controversy i seem to notice.
If DBZ is seen as more manly then it's from those insecure fans who confuse "dark and gritty" with "mature and sophisticated". The irony being that DBZ isn't dark and gritty. It's aimed at kids.
If you can show DBZ indulging in a dude with big nipples (wtf), lowbrow poop jokes, and a really bad Sailor Moon parody then I will concede to your point.

Super in particular is known for its lazy plotlines (every arc except the Future Trunks arc has just been an excuse for fighting), total disregard for powerscaling, flanderized characterization with barely any development, and shoe-string budget. This doesn't necessarily make it more childish but it shows that doesn't respect the audience's intelligence nearly as much as DBZ does.

Anyways, there's nothing shameful about watching Dragon Ball Super though it's better to accept that it shouldn't be reflective of Dragon Ball's quality as an anime/manga series.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:04 pm

I remember being so ashamed of how horny I was growing up. It wasn't until I got a job and could afford to buy my vast collection of sexy and cute anime girl figures that I finally felt free of that.

Dragon Ball is nothing in comparison.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:23 pm
Vijay wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:24 am It's a crime. Unforgivable sin. Not even Trump would survive massacre Super unleashes on his senses😂😂
Aye, Super Saiyan Trump in my avatar disagrees.
Trump is trash irl but definitely content gold when it comes to fan art and memes.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:25 pm
Vijay wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:24 am It's a crime. Unforgivable sin. Not even Trump would survive massacre Super unleashes on his senses😂😂
Can we please keep politics out of these threads?
Aye, he started it. I was keeping it light hearted though, and I don’t take offense to what he said either. 🤷🏻‍♂️ All in good fun. The retarded Piccollo thread and the Vic Mignogna thread is where all the toxic political bull crap is.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Can we please keep politics out of these threads?
Aye, he started it. I was keeping it light hearted though, and I don’t take offense to what he said either. 🤷🏻‍♂️ All in good fun. The retarded Piccollo thread and the Vic Mignogna thread is where all the toxic political bull crap is.
Toxicity abounds in Dragon Ball discusions. Especially on the wikia.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:53 am

no, i don't think so at least. people who judge you for watching/liking super are probably people who would judge you for watching/liking the original animes, and for like dragon ball based communities, i don't think most people would care if someone likes it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:04 pm I remember being so ashamed of how horny I was growing up. It wasn't until I got a job and could afford to buy my vast collection of sexy and cute anime girl figures that I finally felt free of that.

Dragon Ball is nothing in comparison.
Uhhhhmmm.....

Anyway...TC if you like Super, good for you. I dislike the show but it doesn't bother me when other people like it. It for one, gave Dragon Ball more of a spotlight, allowing for the FighterZ video game to be made.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm

People on the internet think it's hip to hate DBS, it's almost 2020 we had the phenomenally animated Broly movie and people still can't f**king let go of #5

But thankfully I realised the people on the internet are a minute fraction of the actual proper fan base. The DBS retellings were a colossal success but judging from the reaction on the internet you would be hard pressed to guess that.

There is also a reason why DBS is the strongest
series branding going into 2020.

Why should you feel bad for something that is evidently enjoyed by many people and still is to this day.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 amIt for one, gave Dragon Ball more of a spotlight, allowing for the FighterZ video game to be made.
I don't think the existence of Dragon Ball FighterZ is all thanks to Dragon Ball Super...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm People on the internet think it's hip to hate DBS, it's almost 2020 we had the phenomenally animated Broly movie and people still can't f**king let go of #5
What's #5?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:02 am

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:51 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm People on the internet think it's hip to hate DBS, it's almost 2020 we had the phenomenally animated Broly movie and people still can't f**king let go of #5
What's #5?
The horribly animated episode 5 of Super.

Honestly, i think its quite the opposite, from what i've seen, its a helluva lot more "Hip" to praise Super as the greatest thing ever. I enjoyed my initial watch through of Super, it was a nice nostalgia trip to watch new Dragon Ball every week. HOWEVER thats not to say that i wasnt critical of it when applicable. The Honeymoon phase is long over and the high has sub sided so now the true critiquing can commence with clearer heads, thus it leads some to see thats its a sub par body of work at best. Interesting concepts, relatively entertaining fight scenes but D level story telling thus far.

Believe it or not but Super has had 6 major arcs since its debut, 7 if you count Broly and up till now, the Moro arc is the only one to add anything interesting to the mythos and lore of Dragon Ball since Battle of Gods, everything else in between has done little to nothing when it comes to expanding or adding depth to the story.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:19 am

But thankfully I realised the people on the internet are a minute fraction of the actual proper fan base. The DBS retellings were a colossal success but judging from the reaction on the internet you would be hard pressed to guess that.
Apologies if this comes off as overly aggressive but you're outright in denial if you think #5 has anything to do with people's distaste for Super at this point in time. There's so much discussion that's taken place, have you just been covering your ears?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:02 am

Honestly, i think its quite the opposite, from what i've seen, its a helluva lot more "Hip" to praise Super as the greatest thing ever.

When Super was airing, i was on different 'platforms', not Kanzenshuu, and i guerantee you, at some it had become a true creative challenge to take down and humiliate Super in the most original ways possible. People were praised to take it down. Everywhere on social media was being shitted on Super. Just because a number of 'influencials' kept saying it was outright "crap". That really was my honest impression when the show as airing. I didn't experience this "hip"' to praise Super whatsoever. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but an environment of hate is not really practical if you want to communicate with people about something you are actually starting to enjoy. And i wasn't even hyping it up. I only wanted to stay relatively positive because it kept getting better IMO, although i still noticed it had its flaws.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:50 pm

This is not meant as a joke btw, this is a serious question.
I don’t believe you.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:55 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 am

I don’t believe you.

Well, you may simply ignore the adultviewing-reference. It was to keep matters somehow lighthearted. But the fact i felt a controversy between the reactions during Super and its popularity in raw numbers at the end, was most definitely meant as a serious remark to collect thoughts.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:05 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 am

I don’t believe you.
Sorry for the slight derailment but I'm struggling to believe a lot of topics are made in good faith on this board right now. It's a weird time for me to have come back to this franchise.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:30 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:35 pm
Jord wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 amIt for one, gave Dragon Ball more of a spotlight, allowing for the FighterZ video game to be made.
I don't think the existence of Dragon Ball FighterZ is all thanks to Dragon Ball Super...
Maybe, but it did help. I also like some of the Super characters like Zamasu as video game characters.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:02 am

Honestly, i think its quite the opposite, from what i've seen, its a helluva lot more "Hip" to praise Super as the greatest thing ever.

When Super was airing, i was on different 'platforms', not Kanzenshuu, and i guerantee you, at some it had become a true creative challenge to take down and humiliate Super in the most original ways possible. People were praised to take it down. Everywhere on social media was being shitted on Super. Just because a number of 'influencials' kept saying it was outright "crap". That really was my honest impression when the show as airing. I didn't experience this "hip"' to praise Super whatsoever. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but an environment of hate is not really practical if you want to communicate with people about something you are actually starting to enjoy. And i wasn't even hyping it up. I only wanted to stay relatively positive because it kept getting better IMO, although i still noticed it had its flaws.
Well yeah in the beginning I definitely agree, Super was in the dog house for sure. But once things picked up after the movie retellings it’s been out on this pedestal as the greatest thing ever. Some go as far as to say it’s better than the original series. Just going by social media and YouTube.

It’s not a crime to like Super, hell to this day I still like GT and was an avid defender back when most people bashed it to shit. That being said nothing is above being critiqued, though I will say the “Mob mentality” exists in many forms.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels