It's such a shame how Uub was handled, he could have been the first strong black DB hero

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

It's such a shame how Uub was handled, he could have been the first strong black DB hero

Post by Jord » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 am

Uub was basically introduced at the end of DBZ but I really like the character, his story and his design. Not looking like a black caricature but looking like a regular dude. Had big potential since he was the reincarnated Buu. that alone should make him one of the strongest if not, THE strongest character at that time.
After that, he trained with Goku, becoming even stronger.

Then in GT he gets a major upgrade in a touching way, when he absorbs Mister Buu. Gets a new cool outfit, new powers like the candy beam...but almost immediately gets pushed to the sidelines. Yeah, I don't really buy that getting inside Bebi's stomach was a tactic.

After GT we've seen the character in some video games but it's a shame that he's excluded from other new media since other concepts from GT have made big returns.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: It's such a shame how Uub was handled, he could have been the first strong black DB hero

Post by Xeogran » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 am

He's being added to Xenoverse 2 as upcoming DLC. Also yes, by what GT showed, getting inside Baby was a tactic. He could have been handled differently, but Candy Beam was too OP. Writing battles around it is tricky, because it's almost an one-hit win move.

They should have let him stretch his limbs and regenerate too, alongside his human techniques.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: It's such a shame how Uub was handled, he could have been the first strong black DB hero

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:42 am

Uub isn't black. He's indian/middle eastern like Nam

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 am He's being added to Xenoverse 2 as upcoming DLC. Also yes, by what GT showed, getting inside Baby was a tactic. He could have been handled differently, but Candy Beam was too OP. Writing battles around it is tricky, because it's almost an one-hit win move.

They should have let him stretch his limbs and regenerate too, alongside his human techniques.
I agree on the candy beam but they could have handled it better. Let Bebi be immune to it or something and let Uub use it on henchmen or something. We didn't really get a grasp on how strong "Majuub" really was since he was sidelined so quickly, even if it was a tactic.

I also agree on the stretching stuff since he absorbed Majin Buu and seemingly inherited the candy beam from it too.

Heck, he should have went along with Goku, Pan & Trunks at the start of the series. Would be cool to see the mentor-student dynamic.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:05 am

Jord wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 am After GT we've seen the character in some video games but it's a shame that he's excluded from other new media since other concepts from GT have made big returns.
I agree with this.

I hate to be that guy but isn't Uub supposed to be like Indian, southeast Asian or Middle Eastern?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:42 am Uub isn't black. He's indian/middle eastern like Nam
Exactly. Was abt to point it out.

Btw, isn't it great to simply fantasize how great Uub could be rather than hoping for Super or lamenting over GT's messed up interpretation

Uub seems pretty much a cross between Kid Goku & Namu. And his character, rage boost, his family backstory, his village, his training, his future adventure & fights definitely seems like wonderful ride.

Let's face it. Goku had glorious ride with DB. While Gohan had his turn throughout DBZ. Uub was introduced at EoZ & its only rational to say new series would obviously focus on Uub.

Dude impressed me with his fighting skill, esp in DBZ EP 291 & I like his seiyuu. Plus, his Majuub incarnation in GT was uber cool. Great concept there...and his fight against Super Baby was dope...

I don't give much importance to skin color, etc. If a character excites me, I'd like em. And Uub is one of em. Really wish "the day" comes....when a real DBZ fanboy...becomes a crucial person in TOEI and rewrites Uub & DBZ's sequel in the true essence & vein of Akira Toriyama. Peace

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:26 am

Uub isn't a character, he's a thematic device, so it isn't obvious a new series should focus on him, or that there should be a new series to begin with.

And like many have pointed out, he's not black. The lack of thick lips should be a tip-off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:50 am

i don't really see how he was mishandled because it's kinda clear that the story was never gonna like, focus on him or whatever. or more so, the end of the manga isn't about oob and his character, it's more about goku's character and all the unexpected things that can happen to you, and oob is there to show off those concepts, rather then being like the focus. i think anyway. so i don't really agree that he had huge potential or whatever, even if if i like his design and all. i don't know, i just know i started appreciating the ending a lot more when i realized that it isn't about oob, and i actually really like the ending now because of that.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:07 am

I also like Uub. The strongest Earthling being a black character sounds nice (not that I put too much thought on these kind of subjects, but it seems deep down this "diversity" in this particular subject gets me. It is also reflected in games that I can create characters, it is almost automatic that I tend to create characters similar to my/Uub's color). The fact that he's not a black caricature/stereotype is a major plus indeed. Not all black person has big/thick lips.

I don't like his design, though. There are so many ways to depict poverty but Toriyama seems to know only to depict one way: give these characters almost the same outfit (talking about Nam). His hair isn't original or at least different at all too, it's the same as Tapion's and Kaioshin of East's... He should have a great design.

Too bad he was wasted in Dragon Ball GT, that teenager had potential, like you said. Would be great to see Goku and Uub fighting together and the latter doing major stuff to contribute to something. Also too bad that we didn't get to know what Uub ended up doing after AGE 784 in Dragon Ball Online, surely the game would give him a nice ending, just like all the other characters. Also, creating an Uub-based character in XV2 was a blast.

I kinda liked the hint Dragon Ball Super made to him, but hopefully we will get to see more of his character down the road.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 am

While true, not all black people have thick lips, the black characters in DB all do.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 pm

I don’t understand where people get this idea that Oob is supposed to be black. Everything about him would suggest that he’s meant to be the Dragon Ball equivalent of a South Asian.

funrush

Post by funrush » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 pm

He could be black, but he could also be Indian or Middle Eastern. We don't know. I tend to think he's Indian since he looks more like Nam than he does Killa or Officer Black, but again, who knows.

I do think he was crazy mishandled. Uub is a perfect opportunity for Goku to recede into the background a little more. Since Super is the "Goku and Vegeta show", I want whatever post-EoZ show they do to focus more on Uub and Pan training with Goku in more of a mentor role, who steps in when things get too messy.

Plus with Super continuing to make Goku stronger, it makes Uub's performance at the 28th Budokai even more impressive. He could be ridiculously powerful with training, since I assume Kid Buu had 0 training.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:08 pm

funrush wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 pm He could be black, but he could also be Indian or Middle Eastern. We don't know. I tend to think he's Indian since he looks more like Nam than he does Killa or Officer Black, but again, who knows.

I do think he was crazy mishandled. Uub is a perfect opportunity for Goku to recede into the background a little more. Since Super is the "Goku and Vegeta show", I want whatever post-EoZ show they do to focus more on Uub and Pan training with Goku in more of a mentor role, who steps in when things get too messy.

Plus with Super continuing to make Goku stronger, it makes Uub's performance at the 28th Budokai even more impressive. He could be ridiculously powerful with training, since I assume Kid Buu had 0 training.
I'm a broken record on this but NO on the next generation taking over. It is Goku's story.

And it's not the characters' power that makes any of them interesting.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:08 pm

About whether he's black or not;

In DBZ his skin was brownish
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 1214122930

However in Gt he got a lot more black
https://pm1.narvii.com/6226/28ac4a51936 ... 318_hq.jpg

When fused with Buu he got a lighter skin tone
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/polls/1 ... 7_full.png

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Uub is not Black and as a black man myself I never liked the charcter at all. I always thought in the back of my head Buu's reincarnation should have been Goku's kid rather it be a son or a daughter.

That way it would truly be his responsibility to deal with Buu. Buu's reincarnation could have also felt with a lot of nature vs nurture themes but I'm off topic now.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Uub is a pretty interesting character. I would have liked to see more of him.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:24 pm

There is certainly a lot more they could have done with him.

And possibly will do with him, in the future.

Considering that the Moro arc in the manga reveals that Buu has more potential than we thought due to the Dai Kaioshin's magic, that could be a future route for making Uub more relevant.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:00 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm Uub is not Black and as a black man myself I never liked the charcter at all. I always thought in the back of my head Buu's reincarnation should have been Goku's kid rather it be a son or a daughter.

That way it would truly be his responsibility to deal with Buu. Buu's reincarnation could have also felt with a lot of nature vs nurture themes but I'm off topic now.
How many offsprings you want Goku to have? Gohan...Goten...next? go....whatever...at least with Uub as his student my boi Goku would finally get over his sons as he'd finally have an all-out fighter...rather than scholar...or playboy

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 pm

Yes, i hope he gets a proper way to shine once the story catches up with the end of Z.

funrush

Post by funrush » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:08 pm
funrush wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 pm He could be black, but he could also be Indian or Middle Eastern. We don't know. I tend to think he's Indian since he looks more like Nam than he does Killa or Officer Black, but again, who knows.

I'm a broken record on this but NO on the next generation taking over. It is Goku's story.

And it's not the characters' power that makes any of them interesting.
I'm not suggesting they write him out or anything, but in Super Goku and Vegeta get almost all of the fights. Lets give these new characters something to do! One of the things that was cool about the Cell arc is that Piccolo, Trunks, Gohan, Tien, a bunch of different characters had stuff to do.