Personal Issues With Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Personal Issues With Dragon Ball GT

Post by Vijay » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:21 am

ABED wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 pm My feelings towards GT has changed over the years. Like everyone, I hated it at first, then I found it boring, then I felt like it was okay and kinda underrated, and now I think it's mostly boring but has its moments. Had it come out these days, I think I'd feel the say way about it I do about most revivals - bored.

All of DB was done to make money... ALL. OF. IT. GT isn't any more guilty of it than any other series.

I don't know if GT's logic is really any worse than anything else from DB, though, not that it really matters as I don't think that really matters to most people in the long run. It's just a poorly executed show. The action is bland and that's arguably the single biggest thing they had to get right.
Dude....I would've ignored ur post....if it wasn't for "all of DB was done to make money...ALL. OF. IT. "

Dat applies to basically every anime out there man.

DB was animated cuz it's manga was so popular. And AT wasn't satisfied with ending it at DB either. Dude even threatened Shueisha or TOEI guy I don't remember his name that he'd have to make Goku adult & progress the story forward. That or he'll stop it right there & then. Talk abt passion...and you were talking abt $$$🀣🀣🀣

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:31 am

Vijay wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:21 am
ABED wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 pm My feelings towards GT has changed over the years. Like everyone, I hated it at first, then I found it boring, then I felt like it was okay and kinda underrated, and now I think it's mostly boring but has its moments. Had it come out these days, I think I'd feel the say way about it I do about most revivals - bored.

All of DB was done to make money... ALL. OF. IT. GT isn't any more guilty of it than any other series.

I don't know if GT's logic is really any worse than anything else from DB, though, not that it really matters as I don't think that really matters to most people in the long run. It's just a poorly executed show. The action is bland and that's arguably the single biggest thing they had to get right.
Dude....I would've ignored ur post....if it wasn't for "all of DB was done to make money...ALL. OF. IT. "

DB was animated cuz it's manga was so popular. And AT wasn't satisfied with ending it at DB either. Dude even threatened Shueisha or TOEI guy I don't remember his name that he'd have to make Goku adult & progress the story forward. That or he'll stop it right there & then. Talk abt passion...and you were talking abt $$$🀣🀣🀣
Way to miss the point, but I'm glad you had a laugh, even if you're completely mistaken. I at no point claimed the sole reason DB was made was just to make money (not that there's a problem with that if it was), simply that the motive for creating GT wasn't some aberration or the reason it was lackluster. I'd be careful about ascribing motives to people.
the dragons don't seem like real threats until the twins show up
One of them nearly kills Goku and Pan after he absorbs Pan, using her as a shield, and the first Dragon they face spas their power with his pollution, negating Goku and Pan's battle power advantage. It's about escalation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:31 am
Vijay wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:21 am

Way to miss the point, but I'm glad you had a laugh, even if you're completely mistaken. I at no point claimed the sole reason DB was made was just to make money (not that there's a problem with that if it was), simply that the motive for creating GT wasn't some aberration or the reason it was lackluster. I'd be careful about ascribing motives to people.
the dragons don't seem like real threats until the twins show up
One of them nearly kills Goku and Pan after he absorbs Pan, using her as a shield, and the first Dragon they face spas their power with his pollution, negating Goku and Pan's battle power advantage. It's about escalation.
Then explain urself. Just what you make urself abt GT. Reason behind DB/Z's success or any other great anime series out there has always been attributed to the author/mangaka putting their heart & soul into their work. Be it seinen, shojo, shounen.

I refuse to turn this into GT-bash thread & it's honestly boring to beat dead horse at this moment. Fact remains GT was TOEI's cash-grab by bringing back the heyday DB comedic tones, turning Goku into Kid to cater old-time DB fans, then switching to SSJ4 action, Saiyan/Tuffle/Super 17/Shadow Dragons to cater to Z fans.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 am

Being made to make money isn't antithetical to passion. You're thinking is very binary. It's not either/or. Toriyama loves being an artist, but he's explicitly stated he wanted to make a living so he turned something he was good at into something he could make money with.

When he first created DB, it started as a riff on Journey to the West and wanted to continue down that path, but it wasn't selling, so he changed the tone of the series.

Even all the great films that are made with passion and love from talented artists are still made with the intention to make money. Studios do not spend millions on mere passion projects if they don't think they will sell.

GT was trying to keep Z's success going, but I'm sure plenty of those working on it were fans first and loved playing in Toriyama's universe. Your last paragraph is demonstrably false. If it was such a cash grab, why go back to DB's comedic roots when that was arguably its least successful period? Adult Goku was way more popular than when he was a kid. I would be careful about attributing motives to people you don't know.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 am
Hulk10 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:57 pm

No, selfish is when you consider only your own advantage when doing something, without taking into consideration what effects your actions might have on others. That is literally what Future Trunks did.

One of the most serious crimes against the laws of the gods did not warrant decisive action because…? Why should any god care about Trunks's intentions? He's just a mortal who, from their perspective, not only broke one of the most important laws of the gods but also ended up shattering reality itself (ask yourself why there were two Zamases). Even Beerus, the "oh so good Destroyer god", is very serious on this point and destroyed the time machine Bulma had worked on for so long (and probably Bulma too, if they were not friends).
No reckless because it wasn't just his own advantage that he was thinking about yes he was thinking about his advantage but he was also thinking about saving his friends and family. So doing something to benefit others in your world without thinking about the consequences is reckless not selfish. And nothing could warrant complete annihilation of all mortal life. Destroying the Time Machine was a good idea, but wiping out all mortal life and the other gods? No. There is no cause for that, no reason at all.

Zamasu proves the point that the gods are not infallible. And their rules can become outdated. Also lets not forget that one of the other Universes has a Time Machine too. Its in the possession of a Supreme Kai but it still exists so the gods can be tolerant of it. But none of them except for that awful Zamasu would wipe out mortal life in all the universes and all the other gods. So Zamasu is the real villain, the real troublemaker.

While I shall not yield in my stance I can see that this debate about Time Travel is pointless and I have no desire to continue.
That's why he see his selfish. Okay, he saved his family and friends on Earth. There is an entire reality beyond the Earth. A reality that was irreversibly shattered by his time travel.

How do the rules of the gods become "outdated"? They've literally existed since forever and you can't even say that they are false laws because we have visibly seen the dire ramifications of time travel. The gods are tolerant of time travel because only THEY can use it, and indeed that time machine of Universe 12 was confiscated by the Supreme Kai of that universe. That is nothing new though, we already know Kais are allowed to time travel, but only to the future and only for a very specific purpose. The Destroyers meanwhile are forbidden from time travelling too. The gods are very strict when it comes to this. I already brought up Beerus' example, I could bring up Gowasu's too. Upon seeing the time rings created by the warping Trunks caused, he comments on how foolish someone would be to do such a thing.

Also, yeah, I guess you're right. There's nothing that warrants universal genocide. But is it real such a big deal? I mean, Goku is all friendly and stuff with a guy who destroyed trillions of innocents for fun, so I don't see what the problem is.
You are welcome to see Future Trunks's actions as selfish. But I don't agree not when his motives were to protect his family and friends. Also the only ramifications I saw of Time Travel were Zamasu going all crazy and genocidal. That was Zamasu's fault; a product of his own twisted mind. Zamasu completely invalidated his views by his own actions.

I'm not saying that Time Travel rules are pointless but some of their rules are foolish like the Supreme Kais not doing anything other than observe mortals and not do anything to guide them. And Beerus and Zeno don't destroy things for fun. They do it for petty reasons. But they are not evil. Universal genocide might not be a big deal to Beerus or other gods of destruction but it is a big deal for others none the less.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:42 am

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 am GT was trying to keep Z's success going, but I'm sure plenty of those working on it were fans first and loved playing in Toriyama's universe. Your last paragraph is demonstrably false. If it was such a cash grab, why go back to DB's comedic roots when that was arguably its least successful period? Adult Goku was way more popular than when he was a kid. I would be careful about attributing motives to people you don't know.
Agreed, and for me that's a major differentiator between GT and Super. GT had places it wanted to go creatively, and while many changes weren't much-liked at the time, it's creatively better than Super trying to deliberately invoke the peak of the franchise's past. Concepts like a Dragon Ball hunt in space or the Evil Dragon finale are creatively more daring than most of what Super attempted to do. Even the Super 17 arc stems from an interesting idea: Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu are now together in hell, what would happen?

That's not to say Super doesn't have any of this (in particular the Broly movie with how things are left off at the end), but for me it's more apparent in GT.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am

Both Super and GT employ nostalgia, but GT didn't come out at a time when there was a glut of revivals. I'll give GT this, though - when it ended, it ended. It didn't end things with the obvious intention of continuing somewhere down the line.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:50 am

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am Both Super and GT employ nostalgia, but GT didn't come out at a time when there was a glut of revivals. I'll give GT this, though - when it ended, it ended. It didn't end things with the obvious intention of continuing somewhere down the line.
Yes it did end when it ended. And it ended on a fairly good note. A note I didn't especially like but it did end on a good note.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:50 am
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am Both Super and GT employ nostalgia, but GT didn't come out at a time when there was a glut of revivals. I'll give GT this, though - when it ended, it ended. It didn't end things with the obvious intention of continuing somewhere down the line.
Yes it did end when it ended. And it ended on a fairly good note. A note I didn't especially like but it did end on a good note.
What didn't you like?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:24 pm
What didn't you like?
The transcending mortality and the dragon balls leaving.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:24 pm

What didn't you like?
Gonna need more. I don't know why those are issues.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:24 pm What didn't you like?
Transcending mortality doesn't make sense as Goku is only interested in fighting strong opponents, not fighting crime. And the Dragon Balls leaving doesn't make sense because they have become a part of Earth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Transcending mortality doesn't make sense as Goku is only interested in fighting strong opponents, not fighting crime. And the Dragon Balls leaving doesn't make sense because they have become a part of Earth.
It was a bargain he made with Shen Long to reverse the damage done to Earth. I don't know where you got the idea that the DB's have become part of the Earth.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm Gonna need more. I don't know why those are issues.
It was a bargain he made with Shen Long to reverse the damage done to Earth. I don't know where you got the idea that the DB's have become part of the Earth.
They are now a part of Earths culture as far as I can see. You can disagree if you like. And just because it was part of a bargain doesn't mean it makes sense.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 am
Hulk10 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm

No reckless because it wasn't just his own advantage that he was thinking about yes he was thinking about his advantage but he was also thinking about saving his friends and family. So doing something to benefit others in your world without thinking about the consequences is reckless not selfish. And nothing could warrant complete annihilation of all mortal life. Destroying the Time Machine was a good idea, but wiping out all mortal life and the other gods? No. There is no cause for that, no reason at all.

Zamasu proves the point that the gods are not infallible. And their rules can become outdated. Also lets not forget that one of the other Universes has a Time Machine too. Its in the possession of a Supreme Kai but it still exists so the gods can be tolerant of it. But none of them except for that awful Zamasu would wipe out mortal life in all the universes and all the other gods. So Zamasu is the real villain, the real troublemaker.

While I shall not yield in my stance I can see that this debate about Time Travel is pointless and I have no desire to continue.
That's why he see his selfish. Okay, he saved his family and friends on Earth. There is an entire reality beyond the Earth. A reality that was irreversibly shattered by his time travel.

How do the rules of the gods become "outdated"? They've literally existed since forever and you can't even say that they are false laws because we have visibly seen the dire ramifications of time travel. The gods are tolerant of time travel because only THEY can use it, and indeed that time machine of Universe 12 was confiscated by the Supreme Kai of that universe. That is nothing new though, we already know Kais are allowed to time travel, but only to the future and only for a very specific purpose. The Destroyers meanwhile are forbidden from time travelling too. The gods are very strict when it comes to this. I already brought up Beerus' example, I could bring up Gowasu's too. Upon seeing the time rings created by the warping Trunks caused, he comments on how foolish someone would be to do such a thing.

Also, yeah, I guess you're right. There's nothing that warrants universal genocide. But is it real such a big deal? I mean, Goku is all friendly and stuff with a guy who destroyed trillions of innocents for fun, so I don't see what the problem is.
You are welcome to see Future Trunks's actions as selfish. But I don't agree not when his motives were to protect his family and friends. Also the only ramifications I saw of Time Travel were Zamasu going all crazy and genocidal. That was Zamasu's fault; a product of his own twisted mind. Zamasu completely invalidated his views by his own actions.

I'm not saying that Time Travel rules are pointless but some of their rules are foolish like the Supreme Kais not doing anything other than observe mortals and not do anything to guide them. And Beerus and Zeno don't destroy things for fun. They do it for petty reasons. But they are not evil. Universal genocide might not be a big deal to Beerus or other gods of destruction but it is a big deal for others none the less.
Trunks' intentions were noble, I never doubted that, but that's precisely why the situation is morally grey. From the perspective of the gods, Trunks is just another mortal, earthlings are just another species, why should they be allowed to have the privilege of time travelling, especially when that's very dangerous for the stability of the cosmos? In light of this, good intentions are not enough. They are certainly not enough from the perspective of the deities, whose ultimate duty is to safeguard the cosmos. Any god who would choose a single world over the stability of reality is an incompetent fool who shouldn't be a deity in the first place.

Time travel was one of the main arguments Zamasu used to justify a crusade that he perceived as righteous. He pointed out how this alliance between two Zamases was made by possible by the warping Trunks caused all the way back to Z. Had Trunks never given Goku an antidote for the heart virus, Goku would have died like history dictated, and Zamasu would have never switched bodies or teamed up with another version of himself. As you can see, the situation is much more complex, it is not as simple as just "well, Zamasu was made, that's the only reason why time travel is bad". If one single use of time travel allowed all of this to happen, imagine if EVERY mortal species started time travelling.

Your point about the other rules of the gods is out of scope, because I merely pointed out that there is a law against time travel (without even going too much into its validity). But yes, several laws of the gods are foolish, that's the crux of Zamasu's fall from grace.

You also mentioned that the gods are not perfect, and that's something Zamasu also aknowledged. He knew that the gods made a mistake, he exterminated them for that mistake, and he thought it was his duty to fix the screw-ups of his peers. He literally stained his form with the body of a mortal precisely to embed upon his flesh the failures of the gods.

Also, your final argument makes no sense. On one hand, you realize Beerus and Zeno destroy entire worlds full of innocent people for petty reasons, and yet you follow it up with "but they are not evil". Define evil then. Because if destroying billions just because they make bad food is not evil, then what is evil?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Trunks' intentions were noble, I never doubted that, but that's precisely why the situation is morally grey. From the perspective of the gods, Trunks is just another mortal, earthlings are just another species, why should they be allowed to have the privilege of time travelling, especially when that's very dangerous for the stability of the cosmos? In light of this, good intentions are not enough. They are certainly not enough from the perspective of the deities, whose ultimate duty is to safeguard the cosmos. Any god who would choose a single world over the stability of reality is an incompetent fool who shouldn't be a deity in the first place.

Time travel was one of the main arguments Zamasu used to justify a crusade that he perceived as righteous. He pointed out how this alliance between two Zamases was made by possible by the warping Trunks caused all the way back to Z. Had Trunks never given Goku an antidote for the heart virus, Goku would have died like history dictated, and Zamasu would have never switched bodies or teamed up with another version of himself. As you can see, the situation is much more complex, it is not as simple as just "well, Zamasu was made, that's the only reason why time travel is bad". If one single use of time travel allowed all of this to happen, imagine if EVERY mortal species started time travelling.

Your point about the other rules of the gods is out of scope, because I merely pointed out that there is a law against time travel (without even going too much into its validity). But yes, several laws of the gods are foolish, that's the crux of Zamasu's fall from grace.

You also mentioned that the gods are not perfect, and that's something Zamasu also aknowledged. He knew that the gods made a mistake, he exterminated them for that mistake, and he thought it was his duty to fix the screw-ups of his peers. He literally stained his form with the body of a mortal precisely to embed upon his flesh the failures of the gods.

Also, your final argument makes no sense. On one hand, you realize Beerus and Zeno destroy entire worlds full of innocent people for petty reasons, and yet you follow it up with "but they are not evil". Define evil then. Because if destroying billions just because they make bad food is not evil, then what is evil?
Hoo boy...... Its clear we are not going to agree on this so I see no further point in continuing. Nothing either of us says will change the other's mind.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Hoo boy...... Its clear we are not going to agree on this so I see no further point in continuing. Nothing either of us says will change the other's mind.
Well it's a shame, because I thought it was an interesting conversation about a deep subject. Regardless I was probably going to end this soon anyway since this thread is about GT. I just felt like opening this because you brought up time travel in the Goku Black arc in the OP.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:57 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Well it's a shame, because I thought it was an interesting conversation about a deep subject. Regardless I was probably going to end this soon anyway since this thread is about GT. I just felt like opening this because you brought up time travel in the Goku Black arc in the OP.
I understand. And I respect your views even if I don't agree with them. Can we agree to disagree and respect the other's views?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 pm

They are now a part of Earths culture as far as I can see. You can disagree if you like. And just because it was part of a bargain doesn't mean it makes sense.
There's nothing in the text or subtext to support that claim. Each set is tied to the life force of their creator, that's it.

Your issue with Goku leaving is that he wouldn't want to leave because he wants to fight strong opponents, but my point is that doesn't matter. It's not up to him. He struck a bargain with Shen Long restore Earth in exchange for his life. The mechanics are goofy, but sub-textually it's very clear what's going on. I don't even know what your point about Goku not being interested in fighting crime means in this context.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:01 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:59 pm
Hulk10 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 pm It was a bargain he made with Shen Long to reverse the damage done to Earth. I don't know where you got the idea that the DB's have become part of the Earth.
There's nothing in the text or subtext to support that claim. Each set is tied to the life force of their creator, that's it.

Your issue with Goku leaving is that he wouldn't want to leave because he wants to fight strong opponents, but my point is that doesn't matter. It's not up to him. He struck a bargain with Shen Long restore Earth in exchange for his life. The mechanics are goofy, but sub-textually it's very clear what's going on. I don't even know what your point about Goku not being interested in fighting crime means in this context.
Well perhaps I mispoke but I can't think of how to articulate my feelings right now.