is dragon ball technically a spin off of dr slump?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Re: is dragon ball technically a spin off of dr slump?

Post by Shintoki » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 am
Shintoki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:31 amwelp, I suppose that makes me one of them :eh:
Welcome to the club. But if you are, then you should know how things work and what words mean. Dragon Ball GT is not a spin-off because it clearly doesn't fit its definition (which was posted in this very thread). But it is a sequel to the Dragon Ball anime continuity taking place in another dimension.
I was more of meaning in the sense of (how can DB GT be a sequel to the canon DB when the DB canon contradict that GT will happen afterwards thus if it were to be canon it would more of a spin off)

perplexing? you bet.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:51 am

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:39 am
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 am I simply mean all this talk about canon and continuity doesn't matter much in the scheme of things. It's the stories that matter. I believe some place more importance on everything fitting together perfectly than whether the stories themselves are emotionally engaging.
I can agree with this. You either enjoy something or you don’t. “This isn’t canon so it doesn’t count and I can’t enjoy it” have always been bad faith criticism in my opinion.
I'm not throwing stones either. I can look myself in the mirror remember being concerned with canonicity or whether the timelines lined up, and all the stuff we're talking about, and just over time that way of consuming stories lost any sort of appeal. I wasn't getting anything out of it. So what if something is thrown out of continuity? Does the story still exist to be read or seen? If so, then enjoy it. A crossover fudges some continuity? Lamentable, perhaps, but was it enjoyable on its own terms is the real question.

Shintoki, care to tell me why you don't agree that canonicity doesn't really matter?
''I don't disagree with that''.

the only time canon matters to me is when I want to figure out which belongs to which continuity so I don't get false impressions otherwise almost none.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 am

Shintoki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 am
Shintoki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:31 amwelp, I suppose that makes me one of them :eh:
Welcome to the club. But if you are, then you should know how things work and what words mean. Dragon Ball GT is not a spin-off because it clearly doesn't fit its definition (which was posted in this very thread). But it is a sequel to the Dragon Ball anime continuity taking place in another dimension.
I was more of meaning in the sense of (how can DB GT be a sequel to the canon DB when the DB canon contradict that GT will happen afterwards thus if it were to be canon it would more of a spin off)

perplexing? you bet.
It's not a spinoff. A spin off is when a character(s) are introduced in one series and given their own. GT is a sequel because it follows the same main character just at another point in his life.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 am

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 am

perplexing? you bet.
It's not a spinoff. A spin off is when a character(s) are introduced in one series and given their own. GT is a sequel because it follows the same main character just at another point in his life.
Focus, if you were to take the def I posted and apply it literally then it would would result in a chart where GT can't be a sequel. it would be more like a ''what if''. so either that or SO, whatever which is which doesn't matter at the end.

in a side note, the thread is getting a bit off the track. so would appreaciate the canon talk be directed toward a more appropriate thread for it

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Shintoki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 amI was more of meaning in the sense of (how can DB GT be a sequel to the canon DB when the DB canon contradict that GT will happen afterwards thus if it were to be canon it would more of a spin off)

perplexing? you bet.
If you can agree that Dragon Ball GT starts after an event seen in Dragon Ball Z and continuously show the course of life of the characters, I'm pretty sure you will be able to call it a "sequel", despite all "contradictions". There is no sense in doubting the legitimacy of the status of a sequel because "contradictions", you know.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 pm
Shintoki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 amI was more of meaning in the sense of (how can DB GT be a sequel to the canon DB when the DB canon contradict that GT will happen afterwards thus if it were to be canon it would more of a spin off)

perplexing? you bet.
If you can agree that Dragon Ball GT starts after an event seen in Dragon Ball Z and continuously show the course of life of the characters, I'm pretty sure you will be able to call it a "sequel", despite all "contradictions". There is no sense in doubting the legitimacy of the status of a sequel because "contradictions", you know.
Wouldn't mind having this talk but would prefer that you DM about it since it would be better that way since the thread is not exactly about canon.

did you miss where I purposefully put ''dragon ball (canon)'' instead of ''dragon ball Z''? yeah, that pretty muchs answers it all. :think:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Dragon Ball Z is Dragon Ball. They shouldn't be treated as separate entities.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:04 pm

I love how almost every gave reasons as to why Dragon Ball isnt a Dr Slump spin off, and the topic creator blows them off and ignores them. Pal, dont make the thread title a question if you dont want answers.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Shintoki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 am
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 am

perplexing? you bet.
Focus, if you were to take the def I posted and apply it literally then it would would result in a chart where GT can't be a sequel. it would be more like a ''what if''. so either that or SO, whatever which is which doesn't matter at the end.

in a side note, the thread is getting a bit off the track. so would appreaciate the canon talk be directed toward a more appropriate thread for it
Dragon Ball GT is a sequel. A sequel that was ignored by Dragon Ball Super but a sequel all the same.