If a new series were to be developed, Toei should go for a different approach

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: If a new series were to be developed, Toei should go for a different approach

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:54 pm Popularity, especially for western fans.
And at this point, it's nostalgia.

You keep digging into specific aspects of the film and characterization that are often superficially different, not to mention the BTS stuff which no one but hardcore geeks care or know about. Yes, Broly's sadism isn't there in the new version, but he is a big hulking dangerous brute regardless of whether he's a good guy.

The name is practically nostalgic enough.
I've had a certain image of Broly for 20 years and I see practically nothing of that in this new version. Basically the feeling of familiarity, which is what nostalgia hinges on, just isn't there.
He has the look the raw power and a similar enough backstory. You may not see it, but it's clearly there for some. And if it wasn't, why bother calling it Broly if it wasn't banking on people's fondness for the character?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Re: If a new series were to be developed, Toei should go for a different approach

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:44 pm

They should just do seasons like most tv shows. 25 episodes a year or something.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:17 pmWhile what he did with Broly might not be innovative, the fact that he practically rewrote his character to the point only the barest hint of the original remained kinda speaks against the nostalgia aspect.
Toriyama flatout said Broly's popularity in Japan and overseas as a reason why his editor suggested using him in the next movie. DBS Broly wasn't a risk with an obscure character to see if he could have more success being rebooted. It's a new spin on one of the most popular antagonists while retaining almost everything that made him popular.

Toriyama and everyone else involved are pretty honest about their intentions when they talk about fan service and bringing back popular characters. There are also all the callbacks to iconic moments from the original that don't serve a purpose other than invoking nostalgia. This isn't really a phenomenon exclusive to Dragon Ball since that's the intention of every revival that brings back a series decades after it ended.
Which I already stated in the next reply. I don't equate popularity with nostalgia, not in this case at least. There's not enough of the old Broly in the new one to say they were banking on nostalgia. Same thing with Minus Bardock, even though here the old design is almost intact- he just feels so different from the original OVA Bardock that he evokes no sense of familiarity.
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:21 pm He has the look the raw power and a similar enough backstory. You may not see it, but it's clearly there for some. And if it wasn't, why bother calling it Broly if it wasn't banking on people's fondness for the character?

That's just it, he doesn't have the look- he looks almost nothing like the old Broly for 90 % of the film. The rage form is more of a nod to the old Broly that was only added later (Toriyama and the director initially didn't intend to use that berserker form ) The redesign is the biggest difference - the first thing that would link this Broly to the old one would be his look, but they changed it to the point his unrecognizable. They called it Broly because it's a name that's recognizable and it would make people curious about the new movie. Like I said, popularity and nostalgia aren't synonymous.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 pm

He does, when he has his full on rage mode, he clearly has the iconic look of the previous incarnation.

Popularity plus time equals nostalgia. You are getting too caught up in the details that you can't see the forest from the trees.
(Toriyama and the director initially didn't intend to use that berserker form)
Not remotely relevant. In the film everyone saw, the only thing that matters in this context, his berserker form does look like the Broly of old.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:14 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 pm He does, when he has his full on rage mode, he clearly has the iconic look of the previous incarnation.

Popularity plus time equals nostalgia. You are getting too caught up in the details that you can't see the forest from the trees.
(Toriyama and the director initially didn't intend to use that berserker form)
Not remotely relevant. In the film everyone saw, the only thing that matters in this context, his berserker form does look like the Broly of old.
Which is used sparingly. And yes, it is relevant, because it shows how little they wanted to use of the old Broly. A key element of old Broly was that he was a walking, hulking destroyer with practically no emotions. This Broly is sweet, kind, and his ultimate form is triggered by intense pain and sorrow- I'd say it's basically a rejection of all that made the old Broly memorable while still making use of the "brand name"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Sparingly is kinda the point. It's what fans of Broly were salivating for. Even if it's just a little, it's enough to work.

Yes, there's a difference, but you are completely missing the point. His rage might not come from the same place but it's rage all the same. I'm not saying they are the same character, but that's not relevant. There's enough of his iconography and memorable traits to make it worth calling him Broly.

And no, bringing in what they intended isn't relevant because no one besides hardcore fans know that information. It's in the movie, regardless.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 pm Sparingly is kinda the point. It's what fans of Broly were salivating for. Even if it's just a little, it's enough to work.

Yes, there's a difference, but you are completely missing the point. His rage might not come from the same place but it's rage all the same. I'm not saying they are the same character, but that's not relevant. There's enough of his iconography and memorable traits to make it worth calling him Broly.

But enough to evoke that sense of familiarity that evokes nostalgia in people? What I remember people talking about was how this was a different character altogether. Same with Minus Bardock.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, clearly. Seeing as how Broly hadn't been in a movie since the 90s (or 00s if you're American) of course it's nostalgia.

He is a different character, but there's enough there to make it able to evoke that feeling of nostalgia.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:41 pm Yes, clearly. Seeing as how Broly hadn't been in a movie since the 90s (or 00s if you're American) of course it's nostalgia.

He is a different character, but there's enough there to make it able to evoke that feeling of nostalgia.
I just don't see it. Neither in the movie (as in the creative attempt to evoke this feeling) nor in the reaction in the fandom.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:41 pm Yes, clearly. Seeing as how Broly hadn't been in a movie since the 90s (or 00s if you're American) of course it's nostalgia.

I just don't see it. Neither in the movie (as in the creative attempt to evoke this feeling) nor in the reaction in the fandom.
You don't see how much berserker Broly looks like the Broly of old?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Yes, that form does look like Broly of old, but so does Kale. DBS Broly is a step up from Kale in terms of referencing the old Broly, but still too different in order for me to feel like "oh yeah, I've seen this guy before."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm I just don't see it. Neither in the movie (as in the creative attempt to evoke this feeling) nor in the reaction in the fandom.
Yes, that form does look like Broly of old, but so does Kale. DBS Broly is a step up from Kale in terms of referencing the old Broly, but still too different in order for me to feel like "oh yeah, I've seen this guy before."
Not everyone shared your opinion. It doesn't have to look exactly like him to evoke that feeling, but it is VERY close.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:27 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:23 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm You don't see how much berserker Broly looks like the Broly of old?
Not everyone shared your opinion. It doesn't have to look exactly like him to evoke that feeling, but it is VERY close.
Well, that goes without saying, i didn't go searching for every post or a poll or anything. I'm generally very prone to nostalgia and Broly is one of the first DBZ movies I've seen and rewatched often, and I didn't really feel the old Broly in this movie. I only saw superficial elements being used.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:27 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:23 pm

Well, that goes without saying, i didn't go searching for every post or a poll or anything. I'm generally very prone to nostalgia and Broly is one of the first DBZ movies I've seen and rewatched often, and I didn't really feel the old Broly in this movie. I only saw superficial elements being used.
Superficial elements are more than enough to evoke nostalgia in people. Hell, it's not like Broly isn't a superficial character to begin with in either incarnation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Yama'uchi Shigeyasu said that he had wanted to make his Broli richer in character but had been prevented from doing so, so it is really nice to see his student, Nagamine Tatsuya, receive a chance to do so.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm Yama'uchi Shigeyasu said that he had wanted to make his Broli richer in character but had been prevented from doing so, so it is really nice to see his student, Nagamine Tatsuya, receive a chance to do so.
I remember Takao Koyama stating his opinion about the new character, but all I can seem to find is his statement about him being the strongest character.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm Yama'uchi Shigeyasu said that he had wanted to make his Broli richer in character but had been prevented from doing so, so it is really nice to see his student, Nagamine Tatsuya, receive a chance to do so.
I remember Takao Koyama stating his opinion about the new character, but all I can seem to find is his statement about him being the strongest character.
I'd love to see what Koyama has to say. I bet he'd probably hate the new Broli. :P
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Aren't we going with this topic again into the discussion 'should there be a revival in the first place, because it only comes down to nostalgia ...'? And yes, that's a valid opinion in its own right. But hasn't this been brought on already endlessly in other topics?

Jords initial question was somehow different. It was hypothetical: "IF a a new series were to be developed, what would the better approach be?" It almost feels it's not a valid question on its own. Not that it has never been posed before in a somehow different format, but very well ...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:32 pm Aren't we going with this topic again into the discussion 'should there be a revival in the first place, because it only comes down to nostalgia ...'? And yes, that's a valid opinion in its own right. But hasn't this been brought on already endlessly in other topics?

Jords initial question was somehow different. It was hypothetical: "IF a a new series were to be developed, what would the better approach be?" It almost feels it's not a valid question on its own. Not that it has never been posed before in a somehow different format, but very well ...
Is there anyone here who thinks the current method is the optimal approach?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:12 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:32 pm Aren't we going with this topic again into the discussion 'should there be a revival in the first place, because it only comes down to nostalgia ...'? And yes, that's a valid opinion in its own right. But hasn't this been brought on already endlessly in other topics?

Is there anyone here who thinks the current method is the optimal approach?

I mean, the main question being posed was 'what would a better approach be'?
One could state 'None, it should not be continued at all', but that doesn't really answer the question what could be done, if a new series is coming, to further improve the show.