The Good old days of Dragonball websites.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: The Good old days of Dragonball websites.

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 pm

MajinTrunks wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:52 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:48 pm
MajinTrunks wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Anyone remember Super5.com? That's what this just reminded me of. It was like the go to for subbed GT episodes back in like... 2001-ish?
Hey buddy! I just found a music video with dbz from super5 on an old site that still works haha I didn't know if you wanted me to upload it for you?
Haha sure thing, might be fun for nostalgia's sake. Thanks :D
Here you go! I have a lot more too haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBzJNZ2 ... e=youtu.be

I got a lot of planet namek music videos too haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 pm

I found really old Flash cards from an old website and my antivirus keeps scanning it thinking it might be unsafe and saying that i have found a very rare file type LOL :lol: :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Finally found another old site that I remembered.

Gojita's Domain.
Unfortunately, their old clips seem to have been lost to time, as none of them are backed up by the Wayback Machine.
If anyone else remembers any old sites with those really crappy quality clips that may have had them backed up, please let me know! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:38 pm Finally found another old site that I remembered.

Gojita's Domain.
Unfortunately, their old clips seem to have been lost to time, as none of them are backed up by the Wayback Machine.
If anyone else remembers any old sites with those really crappy quality clips that may have had them backed up, please let me know! :lol:
Yup! I remember that site well! haha I have found clips and LOTS! of Music Videos from back years ago and the quality is.....awesome. :lol: At this point I wonder was AMV's the cause for Funimation back in the day to include Rock tunes into the movies? It has been a while since I watched the bardock special and at the end credits it had Sum41 I believe? and that just shocked me. lol It doesn't fit at all LOL
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:38 pm Finally found another old site that I remembered.

Gojita's Domain.
You magnificent bastard! I forgot all about this site.
My mind was blown at how they managed to do that drop down box thing when you would hover the cursor over the options under the banner. Many attempts were made to figure it out by loading the site into Microsoft Front Page.. And then I would see HTML code and realise I was in over my head. :lol:

How about this one? The Cell Game

I loved their Flash animation section, which was often comprised of stickmen with traced DBZ hair. It was a creative time.. Even if a lot of the creations weren't particularly good.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Does anyone here have any old forums or websites that feature discussion or reactions to episodes first premiering on Toonami in America? It would be really interesting to see what fans thought of at the time.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:07 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:06 pm Does anyone here have any old forums or websites that feature discussion or reactions to episodes first premiering on Toonami in America? It would be really interesting to see what fans thought of at the time.
There was a toonami page on angelfire that I thought that was going on. I'm not at my computer atm or I would check. I would try google images and type Toonami Angelfire that's how I found them.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:10 pm

If anyone wants them I wouldn't mind uploading to google drive the folder that has flash cards of dbz? Also I have a lot of old crappy quality amv's as well from a lot of Angelfire sites
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Xell wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:09 pm How about this one? The Cell Game

I loved their Flash animation section, which was often comprised of stickmen with traced DBZ hair. It was a creative time.. Even if a lot of the creations weren't particularly good.
As soon as I click that link:
:clap:

I'm sure that would have been more effective for me if it was ye olden Windows popups. I'd forgotten how so many sites greeted you with messages like that back then. I recall an old Mega Man fansite that did that I think.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:56 pm

Three DB sites were my mainstays:

- Karin Tower
- The Ultimate DBZ Info Site
- Temple O' Trunks

I never really went to Planet Namek even though it was probably THE Dragon Ball hub at the time. And now I'm here!
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:20 pm

This Topic has made me go through all my old CD collections and I ran into this Intro made by someone yeaaars ago! For the introduction to Vampire Hunter D and I figured I'd rip it for you guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ncP655Ng0 I used to have Fusion Reborn's Intro from a million years ago. I still have it if anyone wanted me to upload it.

Old Fusion Reborn Intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7f20EzxDU0 can anyone tell me anything about this? I've never seen it on any release of than my fansub CD.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:00 am

samuraix123 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:20 pm Old Fusion Reborn Intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7f20EzxDU0 can anyone tell me anything about this? I've never seen it on any release of than my fansub CD.
First of all, why is that age restricted?
Secondly, "An ANIME DENSETSU NO KAITAKUSHA production" aside, that is Toei Home Video's old logo. Here's a link with it and two variants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcGvqidJ2k

The original video source of that fansub was most likely a laserdisc that had that logo on it. Incidentally, the most recent (relatively speaking) Speedy dub movies also had that logo... they were probably also sourced from laserdiscs xD.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:24 am

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:00 am
samuraix123 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:20 pm Old Fusion Reborn Intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7f20EzxDU0 can anyone tell me anything about this? I've never seen it on any release of than my fansub CD.
First of all, why is that age restricted?
Secondly, "An ANIME DENSETSU NO KAITAKUSHA production" aside, that is Toei Home Video's old logo. Here's a link with it and two variants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcGvqidJ2k

The original video source of that fansub was most likely a laserdisc that had that logo on it. Incidentally, the most recent (relatively speaking) Speedy dub movies also had that logo... they were probably also sourced from laserdiscs xD.
Sorry about the age restriction. This whole Youtube Coppa stuff has me scared to death because i don't know nothing about all the legal stuff that they're all arguing about so i just marked it up like that. And I appreciate the answer you gave.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:28 am

My main websites back in the day were the original incarnation of the Funimation forums(or how they were back in 06/07), the previous incarnation of this website, & db-unlimited because it had that rpg maker Goku jr & Vegeta jr games. I would also visit the official websites back in the day as well& look up clips of what would be the Buu arc on various websites.

I remember some websites getting mentioned in the DBZ beckett magazines as well. Also, there were a lot of Dragon Ball RP websites back in the day.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:26 pm

It's funny when you look back at the past and be all nostalgic for it but then realize how spoiled we all are today. We have some questionable releases no doubt about that but atleast we can actually watch it without all the warped colors and footage etc haha
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:12 am

samuraix123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:26 pm It's funny when you look back at the past and be all nostalgic for it but then realize how spoiled we all are today. We have some questionable releases no doubt about that but atleast we can actually watch it without all the warped colors and footage etc haha
I would argue it's more a show of how things really haven't moved on as they should have. Yes, things used to be crappy... That doesn't excuse things still being crappy, even if they're marginally better than they were when they were arguably at their crappiest. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Yeah I think maybe I would take the warped colors and footage over today's releases to be honest.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:32 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 am My personal favorite was always good ol' Planet Namek. They had basically everything a fledgling fan such as myself needed at the time. Between them and one of the Pojo magazines that had massive guides on both DB and GT (both of which were no-shows in the US at the time), as well as massive episode and character guides in general, I was primed to absorb as much information on the franchise as quickly as possible.

As an aside (though it's also a really old website), I literally cannot read the title of this thread without remembering this. :lol:
I just lost my mind watching this. I would rewind my VHS tapes just to watch this ad and saw it so many times! Geez this brings back a flood of memories! Thank you for sharing this!
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:52 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:03 pm Yeah I think maybe I would take the warped colors and footage over today's releases to be honest.
tbh I agree.

And hell, I kinda do this anyway; I don't exactly have any other choice when it comes to large swathes of the Westwood dubs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Used to go on the old ones like Planet Namek, and Temple O Trunks a bit, and had to be careful a lot as some of those old sites didn't exactly hide spoilers. Was funny when Meri had the bits done with action figures where Bulma and other females were played by Sailor Guardians as back then, the old Japanese toys only had Pan, Villains, Piccolo, and 5 versions of each Saiyan mainly. US toys had more characters. Also recall there was one whose name I forget, but a girl ran it and did some talk of some episodes and chapters, and had a side thing saying in real life, Bulma would've realized she was commando especially while riding that bike. Also, due to currently rewatching Star Wars episode II for the first time in years, recall one DBZ site I used to visit a lot mentioning how they liked the movie along with Natalie Portman being hot in there and her being hot since she was in "The Professional" followed by mentions of close enough age to avoid sounding sketchy.