Why hasn't Funi released the 2018 remastered movies yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Why hasn't Funi released the 2018 remastered movies yet?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:09 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:24 am GT well liked in France? Where are you pulling this from, Robo? That's certainly not the vibe I've got reading French message boards.
Heh. Well-liked was a poor choice of words. I meant that it wasn't hated -- that, in comparison to the USA's pure vitriol about it, I've observed that France, Latin America, and Japan are far more positive. That, outside America, it's really seen as just... Okay/fine. That's been my observation of its reception in general outside of America -- it didn't exactly click, but it's not really disliked. Again, as in Japan, people just don't care much, and when pressed, it's just seen as... The somewhat weak epilogue thing that had some cool things in it.
KBABZ wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm I feel like the "it wasn't based on or has the involvement of Toriyama" didn't help either, it made it easier to ignore and becomes the quick blanket excuse for why the show doesn't spark as well as DB+Z did.
Agreed.
Much like the "it had good ideas but bad execution", it's a simple thing people hear and parrot consistently without really thinking about it, or really engaging with the show critically for themselves. It's a lazy way to not really consider something.

I don't imagine GT will ever be exactly liked, but I do think as time goes on, and people eventually come around on Super not actually being the masterpiece people seem to hail it as, and as people begin to not quite have the crazy love for Toriyama they currently to have (similar to how Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, and Return Of The Jedi -- as well as George Lucas himself -- have grown to be rather heavily criticised, in comparison to their initially very positive reception), GT will be looked on in a less contemptable light.
KBABZ wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm That aside, yes the big gap in time has certainly helped create that supply and demand. Grand Theft Auto is a master at this, taking just long enough between installments that people pine and clamour for a sequel (nowadays this has been replaced with GTA Online though). On the other scale was PS3-era Assassin's Creed, which despite being big AAA blockbusters had tired people out by the time III and Rogue and Unity rolled around.
Exactly.
Take a look at the Tomb Raider games too; arguably, all the original instalments were of similar quality, but they were so regularly cranked out that people just got bored with it. Franchise fatigue is a serious thing. Marvel's had to be very careful about how they space out their movies, who appears in which ones, etc. to avoid this; people get their Marvel movie a couple of times a year, but any of the individual franchises only gets an instalment every 2-4 years.

Meanwhile, in Japan, Dragon Ball had been running weekly, acting as an omnipresent pop culture phenomenon from like... Well... I hear it wasn't exactly the hugest thing when it started out in '84, but it clicked really well, really quickly pretty soon after... So, let's say it was huge, and had new content every week from 1985-1997. It's not really any wonder that people were a bit tired of it by sort of '94, '95.
As for the west, well... People weren't exactly tired of it, but my observation has always been that the Boo arc was seen as a bit of a drop off. Follow that up with a sequel that was even more of a drop off than that, with the original creator not attached, and make it such a different thing from the "Z" people had come to know? And Funi made things even worse with their horrendous dub?... Yeah, it's really not much wonder that, not only did GT not really click, it was utterly hated in America.

Meanwhile, Super comes along right at the perfect time for people to have this nostalgia for the show, and even though it's a pile of shit in terms of storytelling, music, and animation (yes, I know the animation got better -- it was still pretty ugly pretty regularly, aside from a few stand-out moments and episodes), it gives people the flashy fights they crave.
I think of Force Awakens... Much as I do think that film is very good, it was not very original. It was very much a rehash of the original Star Wars. But that was fine; it came at a time when people were clamouring for more Star Wars, and it delivered the goods. Quotable dialogue, fun characters, big light saber fights, and some great space action. Everything people were hungry for out of a new Star Wars was given to them. If Revenge Of The Sith had been released at that time, people probably still would have loved it. It is worth noting that, at the time, despite a lot of nerd rage about it, Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones also had great positive reception initially. Audiences flocked to see them, critics praised them... But people online bitterly criticised them in the background. Eventually, thanks to the internet's infinite powers of magnifying hate, the Prequels are generally seen as hated online. But really, the prequels came at just the right time, and people were hungry for more Star Wars, and by all accounts, people at the time enjoyed having more Star Wars...

So...
I think timing is everything when it comes to making a sequel to a beloved franchise. Time it right, and even something that's absolute horseshit will probably be quite well liked, if the franchise has enough nostalgic goodwill. (See: Several of the soulless Disney remakes, Resurrection F, the above-cited first two Star Wars prequels...)
People like the comfortable/familiar, ultimately.
KBABZ wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm Thought experiment question: when do you think the Japanese audience started feeling nostalgic towards Dragon Ball such that a sequel series would have been received with more open arms than GT?
Not sure. You'd have to ask someone like Kei or Kunzait.
I would speculate that 10-15 years after GT was the right time, judging from 10-15 years generally being the butterzone for a lot of franchises in the west (16 years from Star Wars 6 to 1; 12 years from 3 to 7; 9 years from GT ending in the English world to Battle Of Gods happening; 7 years from Star Trek Nemesis to Star Trek '09; 17 years between the classic and revived runs of Doctor Who...), but that's 100% just guesswork on my part; I'm not very knowledgeable about Japanese culture/fandom.
This does have SOME basis in reality in that 10-15 years is right when the revival era began; the Yo Son Goku, Episode Of Bardock, and Plan remake OVAs as well as Kai were all around the ten-year mark, and then BOG was pretty close to bang on the 15-year mark.

But, as I say, my speculations are largely based on my observations about the west, so you can't really take it as anything to go on.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am

Nobody considers DBS "a masterpiece" or at least certainly not to the extent where you can begin to generalise. Your using Hyperbole to get your frankly quite ridiculous view about DBS success, people simply just enjoyed the series stop trying to look for ridiculous reasons otherwise "oh must the timing" "oh must be nostalgia" never occurs to you that people may actually genuinely enjoy the show? It's not circumstance, it's not a fluke simple fact people actually enjoyed the show!

It's been almost two years the show stopped airing in Japan and the DBS brand keeps getting STRONGER. It's completely dethroned DBZ as a brand so I am sick to death of people trying to act like DBS success is a fluke. It f**king is not.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am

Much like the "it had good ideas but bad execution", it's a simple thing people hear and parrot consistently without really thinking about it, or really engaging with the show critically for themselves. It's a lazy way to not really consider something.
I'm sure plenty of people do say that without thinking it through, but it's not a complicated idea. Plenty of ideas sound great on paper, but how it plays out as a complete product with the acting, writing, directing, animation, etc. render the good ideas as only ideas. Nearly anyone can have a good sounding idea, but carrying it out is the challenge. This forum is FULL of armchair quarterbacking, and while fun, isn't the hard part. Bottom line, it's not a difficult concept to get, and it's not a lazy phrase people use to not consider something.
similar to how Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, and Return Of The Jedi -- as well as George Lucas himself -- have grown to be rather heavily criticised, in comparison to their initially very positive reception
If anything, it's the opposite. Those films weren't well received upon their release, but appraisal has gone up because people have distance from them and those the film was targeted at (i.e. kids) have come of age. I imagine like most things, time is kinder to things that were once poorly reviewed. It seems it's always been the case that people are in a rush to judge things as either the best or worst thing ever and cement a piece of work's legacy in stone.
It was pretty well despised with the general English speaking fandom (for the wrong reasons rather than the right reasons)
MasenkoHA, oooooo, that's interesting. I think many things are liked or disliked for reasons audiences generally don't quite understand and look to the most obvious reasons. Care to expand on what you mean in this case specifically?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am Nobody considers DBS "a masterpiece" or at least certainly not to the extent where you can begin to generalise.
There are plenty of people saying it's at least as good as Z was, was what I was getting at.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am Your using Hyperbole to get your frankly quite ridiculous view about DBS success, people simply just enjoyed the series stop trying to look for ridiculous reasons otherwise "oh must the timing" "oh must be nostalgia" never occurs to you that people may actually genuinely enjoy the show? It's not circumstance, it's not a fluke simple fact people actually enjoyed the show!

It's been almost two years the show stopped airing in Japan and the DBS brand keeps getting STRONGER. It's completely dethroned DBZ as a brand so I am sick to death of people trying to act like DBS success is a fluke. It f**king is not.
Hey man, I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Super. I'm not invalidating anyone's joy or opinons. If you like Super, then... Honestly, I'm happy for you. It annoys me to no end that I don't like the current version of Dragon Ball, and I would much rather like it. But I don't. In fact, I rather strongly hold the opinion that its writing, animation, and music is very poor. So I am putting forward my views on the situation in this discussion. I'm not saying that what I'm saying is factually correct, I'm just voicing my observations. If you disagree, then... Well... Great. It's difficult to have a discussion if everyone holds the same view.
Now, if you're interested in discussing the appeal of Super beyond what you say it isn't (and, I would say it's not very useful in a discussion to say what something isn't; one can say, for instance, that certain media isn't art, or isn't cinema, but you're not really saying anything useful by doing so, you're just kind of... Disagreeing. Which is a bit of an insubstantial contribution to a discussion), and beyond venting frustrations at me, then please do go on.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am I'm sure plenty of people do say that without thinking it through, but it's not a complicated idea. Plenty of ideas sound great on paper, but how it plays out as a complete product with the acting, writing, directing, animation, etc. render the good ideas as only ideas. Nearly anyone can have a good sounding idea, but carrying it out is the challenge. This forum is FULL of armchair quarterbacking, and while fun, isn't the hard part. Bottom line, it's not a difficult concept to get, and it's not a lazy phrase people use to not consider something.
I would say it is a lazy phrase people use to dismiss/not consider it, though. Rather than engage critically and talk about what does and doesn't work, and more importantly, WHY, people simply say "yeah gt sucks. good ideas bad execution." That's not really a useful contribution to anything other than "Hey, should I watch this show?" And even then, it's about as basic an answer as one can give. If you want to START with "It didn't execute its ideas well", then sure, it's not a bad jumping off point... But if you have nothing further to say from there, then yes, it is lazy. It's not really much more than just saying "this thing is bad". Yes, it's a view. But it doesn't really say much, contribute to conversation, or -- most critically -- give anyone something to work with in terms of a response.

Tell me "Baby wasn't sympathetic enough", and we can talk about that. Tell me "The search for the black-star balls was a poor jumping off point for the show", and we can talk about that. Just say "it had bad execution", and there's not really anything to say.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am If anything, it's the opposite. Those films weren't well received upon their release, but appraisal has gone up because people have distance from them and those the film was targeted at (i.e. kids) have come of age. I imagine like most things, time is kinder to things that were once poorly reviewed. It seems it's always been the case that people are in a rush to judge things as either the best or worst thing ever and cement a piece of work's legacy in stone.
Incorrect. The people who hated the films like to push a false narrative that they weren't well-liked at the time, and at this point very few people realise it's a lie, but critical reception at the time was very positive for the prequels. And people flocked to see every single one of them. They only grew to be hated as time went on. Naturally, people who grew up on the films have been coming out of the woodwork and prividing a counter to the negative attitudes on the internet, but even though critical reception of the films did sour, the films were reviewed well on release.

For Phantom Menace alone:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star ... enace-1999
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/07/26/t ... view.shtml
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/movi ... uture.html
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... ce-101886/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/sta ... beautiful/
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... iew-752675
https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-ep ... ce-review/
Empire Magazine also put it on their list of the 500 greatest movies of all time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm

I was there. I remember the reviews and the fan reactions. Neither were kind. The reaction to Episode 1 was decidedly in the negative. They got better as the trilogy went along, though. Also, why are you linking to Travers' review? He is overwhelmingly critical of the first prequel.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... tom_menace
That score seems about right for what I recall of the reaction. There's clearly a sampling error with the reviews you linked to.
I would say it is a lazy phrase people use to dismiss/not consider it, though. Rather than engage critically and talk about what does and doesn't work, and more importantly, WHY, people simply say "yeah gt sucks. good ideas bad execution." That's not really a useful contribution to anything other than "Hey, should I watch this show?" And even then, it's about as basic an answer as one can give. If you want to START with "It didn't execute its ideas well", then sure, it's not a bad jumping off point... But if you have nothing further to say from there, then yes, it is lazy. It's not really much more than just saying "this thing is bad". Yes, it's a view. But it doesn't really say much, contribute to conversation, or -- most critically -- give anyone something to work with in terms of a response.
This is just... ugh. Look, I get your point, but no one here is obligated to spell out every reason why. Sometimes we'll elaborate, sometimes we want to boil it down. That by no means says we're just dismissing something or not considering it. Maybe we don't have much to say beyond that. If someone wants to know what exactly we mean, they can ask.
And people flocked to see every single one of them
Box office is not a metric of quality. So many franchises can get by on name alone.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm not a Star Wars fan but the consensus I've seen from my friends and people online and in magazines at the time was that the first two sucked and then everyone was surprised that Revenge of the Sith actually turned out decent.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:40 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm I was there. I remember the reviews and the fan reactions. Neither were kind. The reaction to Episode 1 was decidedly in the negative. They got better as the trilogy went along, though.
I've linked these reviews to you, man. Roger Ebert, the BBC, NYTimes, Rolling Stone, Telegraph, THR, Empire... And you're just saying "No. I was there. I saw different." It's anecdotal at best, and does nothing to refute what I've put forward.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm Also, why are you linking to Travers' review? He is overwhelmingly critical of the first prequel.
Heh. Honestly, I didn't look that one over very carefully; mainly, I linked it because of this part:
Comic relief – and, boy, does this movie need it – arrives with scene-stealer Jar Jar Binks, a gangly, floppy-eared Gungan, voiced hilariously by Ahmed Best but otherwise a fully digital creation.
Which is quite interesting to read, and runs counter to a lot of the hate you see online; some people go as far as to say Jar-Jar was the #1 thing wrong with this film... And yet, here's the one review I found that wasn't very positive about the film, praising Jar-Jar as scene-stealing...
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... tom_menace
That score seems about right for what I recall of the reaction. There's clearly a sampling error with the reviews you linked to.
50%? That shows mixed to average, and besides, RottenTomatoes is gauging the film from a modern perspective, sampling from reviews from the time AND from as recently as today. Scroll down in the page, even open the full list of reviews, and you'll see they're all (or almost all) from 2015 onwards.

The "sampling error" comes from the fact I'm looking at critic reviews from the time. Not the internet message boards you would've hung out on, and not on modern reflections. As I said, I'm talking about how the critics responded at the time, not the modern reflections. Therefore, from this perspective, your choice to link to RottenTomatoes is a massive sampling error, because it shows reviews from all time, not just those from back when.
To put it another way: You're countering my saying that the films were reviewed well at the time with an aggregation of modern reviews. Which is pretty much a totally unrelated response to what I put forward.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm This is just... ugh. Look, I get your point, but no one here is obligated to spell out every reason why. Sometimes we'll elaborate, sometimes we want to boil it down. That by no means says we're just dismissing something or not considering it. Maybe we don't have much to say beyond that. If someone wants to know what exactly we mean, they can ask.
There's a big difference between "Not being obligated to spell out every reason why" and giving the absolute most vague, summative, conversationally useless assessment. Sure, if you don't like the show and just want to voice an opinion of "thing bad", it works, but that's honestly a pretty useless thing to say, and if that's all you have to say, then I stand by criticisng that, because it doesn't contribute anything to the conversation.

"Thing bad" is kinda useful if you're just asking your buddy "Hey, should I watch this show?", or if you're the Nostalgia Critic or CinemaSins, but for actually critically engaging, and/or actually discussing the work to any real extent? It's just a useless thing to say.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 pm Box office is not a metric of quality. So many franchises can get by on name alone.
Box office for one film? Sure.

Box office for a trilogy, where you -- and many people -- claim that Phantom Menace and AOTC were universally reviled, where the box office for all three was record breakingly high... Tells the story that people went to the cinema to see the first one, then decided to keep coming back for both sequels. People thought it was worth paying the money for both sequels.
On its own, while this is interesting, it doesn't say a huge ton, I'll freely admit... But combined with the critics' reviews at the time being in the positive, it's quite telling.
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:34 pm I'm not a Star Wars fan but the consensus I've seen from my friends and people online and in magazines at the time was that the first two sucked and then everyone was surprised that Revenge of the Sith actually turned out decent.
Again, though, this is the modern perspective, and it's anecdotal. Take a look at the reviews I linked... Look at that quote from Travers' review of the film; doesn't look like he liked it much, but he talked Jar-Jar up massively.
The modern assessment is one thing. Maybe it's more correct. Certainly, I'd say that -- much as I have a nostalgic attachment to the prequels -- they're pretty shit movies (well... ROTS is pretty decent), and yet in 1999, in 2002, it looks like people really liked these shitty movies. Quite interesting, isn't it?

I think, ultimately, it is very clear that peoples' view on a film will often not be what was first thought. The Shining did poorly when it was released (as was the case with quite a few of Kubrick's films). Critical reception of Episode V generally reflected that it was seen as a disappointing follow-up, and following that, Episode VI was seen as the best of the trilogy. These days, V is seen as the best, and VI is seen as the weakest of the trilogy, by a long shot...
It's fascinating how views on these films can change so drastically.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't think GT was ever really liked anywhere, but it is interesting that GT was riding the wave as it had already crested in Japan, whereas GT's success picked up where DBZ had left off. Clearly a lot of that had to do with DB having already been on the air in Japan continuously for a decade, but I think the success in the US (ratings wise) has something to do with the audience's preoccupation with power levels.
I've linked these reviews to you, man. Roger Ebert, the BBC, NYTimes, Rolling Stone, Telegraph, THR, Empire... And you're just saying "No. I was there. I saw different." It's anecdotal at best, and does nothing to refute what I've put forward.
Your link proves nothing especially in light of your inability to read them properly. Sweet jesus, how did you miss the opening paragraph when they called the acting wooden? Also I have looked at RT and no, those top reviews were not from mostly 2015 onward. Did you bother looking past the first page?
Box office for one film? Sure.
No, not just one. Entire crappy franchises can be massively successful. Look no further than Transformers.

Lastly, if someone wants to ask me what I mean by "flawed execution, but good idea," they are welcome to. This is a discussion forum, not an essay.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:58 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am
It was pretty well despised with the general English speaking fandom (for the wrong reasons rather than the right reasons)
MasenkoHA, oooooo, that's interesting. I think many things are liked or disliked for reasons audiences generally don't quite understand and look to the most obvious reasons. Care to expand on what you mean in this case specifically?

I mean reasons I’ve seen Kai get hate in the English fandom is usually 1. They think the heavily censored broadcast dub is the actual Kai (this criticism died shortly after Toonami started airing Kai at least) 2. The music isn’t the ear bleeding Faulconer “music 3. They don’t like the new voices (Oh no Gohan sounds like something that resembles a little boy and not a chainsmoking middle aged aunt, Freeza sounds appropriately like a space emperor with an air of faux politeness and not a chainsmoking lizard granny) 4. Changing the dialog so its now correct

Rather than hating Kai for 1. Plagiarized music which was later replaced by a poorly utilized and limited Kikuchi score 2. Kai claiming to be a manga cut but skipping the first 194 chapters and leaving stuff in that wasn’t in the manga like Ginyu!Bulma and Bulma!Frog

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:snip
Again, THIS WAS AT THE TIME. 2002-05. I remember watching many a show on nerd spaces thrashing the prequels and Jar Jar in particular, nearly Evey forum post or reference to he trilogy in magazines was disdainful, and among my friends, everyone went into Episode III expecting it to be garbage.

Critical reception and fan reception, especially with stuff like Star Wars can be very different. Hell we saw it just recently with the Last Jedi.

I have literally never seen anyone besides you try to paint the prequel reception as a new thing. Literally my first exposure to the Star Wars fandom was people hating the prequels.

Shit I remember reading the TV Guide description for Episode 2 with a critical consensus summary saying : "Decent storyline marred by poor pacing and wooden acting"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Didn’t both the actors playing child Anakin and Jar Jar get harassed by online fans “for ruining Star Wars” like shortly after the prequel came out?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 pmIncorrect. The people who hated the films like to push a false narrative that they weren't well-liked at the time, and at this point very few people realise it's a lie, but critical reception at the time was very positive for the prequels. And people flocked to see every single one of them. They only grew to be hated as time went on. Naturally, people who grew up on the films have been coming out of the woodwork and prividing a counter to the negative attitudes on the internet, but even though critical reception of the films did sour, the films were reviewed well on release.

For Phantom Menace alone:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star ... enace-1999
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/07/26/t ... view.shtml
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/movi ... uture.html
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... ce-101886/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/sta ... beautiful/
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... iew-752675
https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-ep ... ce-review/
Empire Magazine also put it on their list of the 500 greatest movies of all time.
Yeah... this is a lot of bullshit right here. Straight up.

There is sometimes a VAST disconnect between the consensus from professional critics/reviewers, and the general public out in the real world. The Star Wars prequels, to some extent, fall somewhat into that category.

I'm gonna have to back ABED on this one: I was VERY plugged into not just geek/nerd culture shit back in 1999 (and well before then), but also broader pop culture. The Star Wars prequels, particularly Episode I, managed to garner a fairly decent reception among professional critics at the time (Roger Ebert famously gave just about all of them glowing reviews), but the reaction on the ground from both hardcore Star Wars nerds and much of average Joe/Jane Public at the time was... FAR less than kind, to put it mildly.

And of course they did well financially at the box office. They were ALWAYS going to. Its Star Wars. The build up to Episode 1's release in particular, for those here who were too young (or possibly not alive yet) to really understand the cultural environment and context at the time, was a MASSIVE cultural event on a scale that we'll likely never see a single movie spark for quite some time. And the only thing that matched the level of wide-scale excitement and anticipation for that film was the general sense of EXTREME disappointment that colored the immediate aftermath of its release. Not only from Star Wars fans, but also a lot of general movie-goers.

Jokes at the expense of the prequels flaws (be it the stilted acting, the flat direction, the cipher characters, Jar Jar, and some of the more puzzling creative decisions ala Midichlorians) were instantly as ubiquitous in culture as any of the well liked aspects of the original films. Dislike of the prequels is in NO WAY some "new" thing that just sprung up out of nowhere in more recent years: this has BEEN a thing among the general public going all the way back to Episode 1's original release. Claiming otherwise is a flagrant denial of basic reality and outright revisionism.

The main audience that the prequels were a genuine hit among were twofold: ULTRA hardcore Star Wars fans (whom were generally saddled with the label of "apologists") and very small children.

I've actually been in similar arguments in a lot of gaming circles when it comes to certain games that were a generational touchstone for gamers within a VERY specific age range: namely games like Banjo Kazooie, Sonic Adventure, Spyro the Dragon, and Pokemon. All of these games were given fairly good reviews in professional video game review outlets, and were likewise massive hits among extremely young gamers (generally within the preschool/Kindergarten range).

But the reception to these games among slightly older gamers (anywhere from around maybe 12 or 13 and up perhaps) was pretty much muted to non-existent. If you were past a certain age threshold, chances are you simply WEREN'T paying any attention to or giving much of two shits about - much less really playing - most of these games. That's just the then-on the ground reality of pop culture at that point in time amongst most average gamers back then.

But there's for awhile now in the years following been this built-in generational bias among certain folks now (who were of the right age at the time) to retroactively look back in time and project their gradeschool-level view of some of these works onto the broader audience for them (be it video games or movies or whatever else) and use mainly sales figures and critical scores as their evidence.

But of course, going SOLELY by a series of numbers whilst totally ignoring the wider cultural climate at the time paints an incredibly misleading and skewed portrait of what the actual popular perspective on many of these works really were back in their original time. This is one of the pitfalls I've noticed of younger folks online today going SOLELY by metrics like professional review scores, sales charts, and critic aggregates when trying to many years after the fact belatedly gauge the popularity and cultural perception of various works from a time when they may have been too young to really grasp what the cultural climate around them was like.

The Star Wars prequels, as presented within Robo's post here, is a good example of this. Obviously no matter WHAT the films' actual quality, the box office and merchandising numbers were always going to be MASSIVE for the prequels. A) Its Star Wars, and B) the lead-up to Episode 1's release in particular was a HUGELY singular, once in a generation cultural event and milestone. So the fact the films did well at the box office and sold a ton of merchandise and so on is almost completely inconsequential with regards to how the broader public viewed the films. And critic scores can be, and many times indeed are (as they are here) VERY much at odds with audience reactions.

It doesn't even take a whole lot of digging around through older media of the time (late 90s and early-most 2000s) to see how widely disliked and disparaged these films generally were on their release. They were the subject of IMMENSE mockery and ridicule (well above and beyond most conventionally bad films, in no small part due to the significant level of prestige and cultural baggage that Star Wars had at the time) across a VAST preponderance of media and popular culture back then, and this was indeed VERY much reflective of where a lot of the wider public (that weren't either a specific breed of diehard Star Wars fanboys or very, very small children at the time) was in their view of these films.

The Star Wars prequels were ALWAYS, from their initial release on, viewed and discussed within most of the broader public as massive, massive disappointments and creative/artistic failures: and the fact that some notable film critics at the time as well as less-critically engaged ultra-SW obsessives and children too small to really be all that engaged at the time, are hardly reliable - and indeed, very misleading - indicators of what the broader, popular consensus actually was back then. These films were pretty much always viewed as at best highly divisive films, and at worst, as notorious trainwrecks. Nothing about that view today is REMOTELY new or retroactive in the absolute slightest.

And of course... its really NOT that hard to ACTUALLY get an accurate read on what the broader popular perception for these works were like. I mean be it Star Wars, or those video games that I mentioned earlier... we're talking about the very late-most 90s and early-most 2000s. This isn't exactly pre-agrarian society we're talking about: this is just 20 years ago. PLENTY of people who were mature and cognizant enough at the time to have had a good read on the then-cultural environment are STILL around and kicking today.

You needn't have to come at this like archaeologists trying to decipher ancient texts from a dead civilization with this stuff, going through old numbers and statistics and whatnot. Just find some folks who are older than you and simply ASK THEM. Odds are, when enough of them are giving you similar kinds of answers, there's probably at least SOME degree of truth to it.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:30 pm

People are responding really quickly here, and I've already had to add two posts to this response, so I'm posting this now, and I'll write my response to Kunzait next.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm I don't think GT was ever really liked anywhere,
Agreed. I think, much as its hatred in America is unique, it's clear that GT wasn't exactly loved. (Well... A friend of mine claims Latin American fans outright love GT. But, couldn't provide any real source on it, so... Might just be this sampling issue we've encountered; the internet says something, but that doesn't mean that's actually what people think. :lol:)
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm but it is interesting that GT was riding the wave as it had already crested in Japan, whereas GT's success picked up where DBZ had left off. Clearly a lot of that had to do with DB having already been on the air in Japan continuously for a decade, but I think the success in the US (ratings wise) has something to do with the audience's preoccupation with power levels.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm Your link proves nothing especially in light of your inability to read them properly. Sweet jesus, how did you miss the opening paragraph when they called the acting wooden?
You've hit ad-hominem much quicker than we have in our past conversations. I'd appreciate it if you'd not do that. I'm actually quite enjoying this conversation, and I'd rather this not just devolve into such nonsense.

Yeah, I made an oopsie-woopsie, I didn't look properly at one of the articles. Okay. So that invalidates everything else I said?... Chill out.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm Also I have looked at RT and no, those top reviews were not from mostly 2015 onward. Did you bother looking past the first page?
First page and a half are all from 2015 onwards. From there on until page 4, it's pretty much all from 2012/2013, with one or two from about 2010, then it's basically all from about 2010. Page 5, we get to the reviews from the actual time of release (aside from three from 2009, they're all from 2005 or earlier here, which is within the prequel release window). And if you look over those, you'll find the vast majority are positive. Pages 7 and 8 contain a lot of negative ones, but 5, 6, 9, and 10 have barely a single negative one. Page 4 is a little mixed, but mostly positive.
A quick count on my part shows that, among reviews from 2005 and earlier, RottenTomatoes shows 95 positive reviews and 49 negative. Two-thirds liked it, one third didn't.

So, what you're seeing when you look over the reviews from the time is that most reviews were in the positive. Mix in modern reviews, and it becomes closer to the 54% that RottenTomatoes reports overall.
Realistically, even 54% doesn't even slightly speak to the utter hatred most would have you believe is behind this film... Says it's more a mixed/average film.
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm Lastly, if someone wants to ask me what I mean by "flawed execution, but good idea," they are welcome to. This is a discussion forum, not an essay.
Yes, but this is a forum, not a chatroom; if you have a view to share, share that view. Share it completely. Don't just hide behind shitty "thing bad" discourse. It's not useful. If we're in a discussion about the merits and demerits of GT, just jumping in and saying "good ideas, bad execution" is not a very useful thing to say. Maybe if you're in a chatroom, and generally people are talking in short messages that come in large volume, it makes sense, but here, on a forum? It's just inconsiderate to leave a message that's essentially an incomplete thought.

Personally, if someone decides to come in and say something as useless and broad as that, then I'm not going to bother asking them what they think, because the answer they give would likely be vague and useless too. Conversation should flow easily. It should be an exchange of ideas and thoughts. You shouldn't have to wrestle an opinion out of someone. You shouldn't have to fight to get a simple response or clarification.
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:10 pm Critical reception and fan reception, especially with stuff like Star Wars can be very different. Hell we saw it just recently with the Last Jedi.
This is kind of exactly what I'm getting at, really. But I don't think you should speak so broadly as critical vs fan. Ultimately, both Last Jedi and the prequels largely just get their hate from the internet. The internet is exceptionally good at amplifying hate, regardless of whether it's the dominant view.

ABED mentioned the Transformers films earlier; the internet doesn't like those films, and the critics also don't like those films. But people still watch them. People still, ostensibly, enjoy them enough to keep coming back. Even though the prevailing online opinion as well as the critical consensus speaks against this.
And similarly with Star Wars, the prequels and the Last Jedi were both reviewed well. But the internet hated the prequels, and was pretty split down the middle about Last Jedi.

Different audiences will respond differently, always. And people who spend a lot of time talking on the internet isn't a sample of everyone, it's rather specifically nerd-dom, really.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm Didn’t both the actors playing child Anakin and Jar Jar get harassed by online fans “for ruining Star Wars” like shortly after the prequel came out?
Yes. Much like how several people behind Captain Marvel and Last Jedi were/are. Again, it's internet hate. Doesn't really mean anything except "A certain subset of people hated it very much and acted really shitty about it."
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:44 pm

That is NOT an ad hominem attack. If your examples are suspect because you didn't bother to properly read the review, that goes to the heart of your argument.
People still, ostensibly, enjoy them enough to keep coming back. Even though the prevailing online opinion as well as the critical consensus speaks against this.
They enjoy them enough to see them, but that doesn't mean the audience thinks they are good. It's a guilty pleasure. You know it's not good, but still enjoy it anyway.
Last edited by ABED on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Y'all. What even. Star Wars talk is cancelled. You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm Y'all. What even. Star Wars talk is cancelled. You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.
See? Here's a dude who clearly remembers the late 90s well enough to dispell some of this "the SW prequels were never hated till recently" nonsense! :lol: :lol: :lol: C'mon EX, back me up on this!

Kidding obviously. I'll see myself out. :P
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm

This thread certainly derailed... :)

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 pm I rather strongly hold the opinion that its writing, animation, and music is very poor.
Eh; When Sumitomo does good, he really does good. BoG, FT Arc, Tournament of Power Arc, and DBS: Broly all have superb soundtracks with Broly being his best work so far for me.

Most of the rest of his DB was pretty bad yeah, I agree with that. But the examples I mentioned above? Nah

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:27 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:24 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 pm I rather strongly hold the opinion that its writing, animation, and music is very poor.
Eh; When Sumitomo does good, he really does good. BoG, FT Arc, Tournament of Power Arc, and DBS: Broly all have superb soundtracks with Broly being his best work so far for me.

Most of the rest of his DB was pretty bad yeah, I agree with that. But the examples I mentioned above? Nah
He has composed some good pieces. But he's a terrible choice for a Dragon Ball composer, and IMO 99% of his scoring on Super has been bland as hell.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:11 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm This thread certainly derailed... :)
Almost seems like the status quo here these days. Not just small derails either, y'all must have so much time on your hands! :crazy: