FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:50 am

I was just wondering, in FUNimation's English dub with Japanese BGM audio track, are the sound effects and background music audio quality to the level and clarity of the broadcast audio? Or are they sourced from the Dragon Box audio?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 am

Neither. Funi uses separate Music/Sound Effects masters. I imagine that they're better than the Dragon Boxes, but worse than the broadcast audio. In any case, the M/E masters are much closer to the broadcast audio than the optical Dragon Box audio.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6215
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:09 am

One thing to note is for the first 20 or so Saiyan saga episodes and several Cell Games episodes, Funimation actually didn't have separate music and effects tracks and thus had to filter the audio to separate them and get a 5.1 mix. The result is really distorted music with most of the lows filtered out and messier sound effects.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4285
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:33 am

sumpter360 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:50 am
I was just wondering, in FUNimation's English dub with Japanese BGM audio track, are the sound effects and background music audio quality to the level and clarity of the broadcast audio? Or are they sourced from the Dragon Box audio?
The DB dub music and sound effects are somewhere in-between the two quality-wise. It's not as muffled-telephone bad as the Dragon Boxes, but it isn't the crystal-clear quality of the broadcast audio tapes either.

It is worth noting that Funi's audio could not have been from the Dragon Boxes because the audio was sourced from before they were released (1996 and the early 2000s). Instead, Funi would have asked Toei for the audio with no vocals for dubbing purposes.

Surround Sound talk:

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:33 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:09 am
One thing to note is for the first 20 or so Saiyan saga episodes and several Cell Games episodes, Funimation actually didn't have separate music and effects tracks and thus had to filter the audio to separate them and get a 5.1 mix. The result is really distorted music with most of the lows filtered out and messier sound effects.
Ehh, Funi's pre-Kai 5.1 mixes were never that good anyway (at least, not for Dragon Ball). Most of the time, it's not really any different from a stereo mix (mono for OG DB and most of Z) reverb'd and doubled up to fill all the surround speakers.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3551
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:28 pm

Clarity of the audio aside, there was the additional problem of inconsistent levels. It varied greatly from episode to episode just how loud the music was. In some episodes it was gloriously loud, while in others it was so quiet you could hardly hear it...and "hardly" was downgraded to "can't" whenever there was an SFX-heavy fight going on. Actually, if you want an example of this inconsistency, one of the better "A-B Comparison" samples would be the TV specials. In the Bardock special, the music is unbearably quiet, whereas in the Trunks special, it's quite loud (which, between the two, I prefer).

For that matter, I don't know if it's just my ears, but it always sounded to me like, at least with the Kai dub, the loudness of the music was far more appropriate in the stereo mixes provided for the Nicktoons/CW4Kids airing than it was for the 5.1 mixes on home video.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6215
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:37 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:28 pm
Clarity of the audio aside, there was the additional problem of inconsistent levels. It varied greatly from episode to episode just how loud the music was. In some episodes it was gloriously loud, while in others it was so quiet you could hardly hear it...and "hardly" was downgraded to "can't" whenever there was an SFX-heavy fight going on. Actually, if you want an example of this inconsistency, one of the better "A-B Comparison" samples would be the TV specials. In the Bardock special, the music is unbearably quiet, whereas in the Trunks special, it's quite loud (which, between the two, I prefer).

For that matter, I don't know if it's just my ears, but it always sounded to me like, at least with the Kai dub, the loudness of the music was far more appropriate in the stereo mixes provided for the Nicktoons/CW4Kids airing than it was for the 5.1 mixes on home video.
Another thing I noticed on the season sets is they turn the music way, way down whenever somebody's talking. For the most part, it was too quiet during the Saiyan and Frieza sagas.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3981
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:31 pm

It is weird that the M/E sounds better in some dubs that use the masters from Funi such as Hindi and Malay. Maybe Funi has got another source with non-separate M/E audio?
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Zestanor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by Zestanor » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Why did Toei retain separate music and effects for all of Dragon Ball and Z, but not the voice actor performances? You could say didn't need the voices because they never really intended to do reruns or a home release, but did they really anticipate foreign dubs even at the start of DB?

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: FUNi's SE and JPN BGM Broadcast quality?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Zestanor wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 pm
Why did Toei retain separate music and effects for all of Dragon Ball and Z, but not the voice actor performances? You could say didn't need the voices because they never really intended to do reruns or a home release, but did they really anticipate foreign dubs even at the start of DB?
Considering anime getting imported in other counties dates back to at least the 60s and Toei likes making money as much as the next company yes I’m sure Toei anticipated Dragon Ball getting foreign dubs. Shoot the first attempt in North America was right when Dragon Ball Z was starting in Japan.

Post Reply