How would you compare Dragon Ball’s revival to something like Star Wars?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How would you compare Dragon Ball’s revival to something like Star Wars?

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Fanservice by its nature doesn't add to the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm

It can if done right and can enhance the experience. Take the use of Bail Organa in Rogue One, and how in his last appearance in that movie he talked about going to Alderaan. Anyone who has seen the original Star Wars (commonly known today as A New Hope) will then watch that movie again and it will add more meaning to the scene where that planet blows up. Likewise in DBS Broly we see another side to Bardock's character with him wanting to save something for a change.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm It can if done right and can enhance the experience. Take the use of Bail Organa in Rogue One, and how in his last appearance in that movie he talked about going to Alderaan. Anyone who has seen the original Star Wars (commonly known today as A New Hope) will then watch that movie again and it will add more meaning to the scene where that planet blows up. Likewise in DBS Broly we see another side to Bardock's character with him wanting to save something for a change.
It doesn't add anything to me. I don't like the film and it's pretty clear that Leia's family was on the planet when it exploded. I don't see any more meaning attached to any of it when fanservice isn't about paying off anything, even emotionally, it's all there to remind the audience of something they saw before. It's basically a giant bowl of 'Member Berries.

Bardock's characterization in Broly also did nothing for me. I much prefer how he's characterized in the TV special.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:42 pm

It still manage to get new fans

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:41 pm

I don't know much about Star Wars so this is just based on what I've heard about it so feel free to correct me if what I say is wrong.

When it comes to the process of making new content, I think both franchises are similar, in that both rely on nostalgia and fan service.

When it comes to the fan reception however, that's where things are very different. With DB, the general reception is that fans either love what it's doing or can find things to enjoy about it despite having issues with the over reliance on what came before. Star wars on the other hand has a size of the fan base that not only hates everything about the new content, but also hate everything about the people involved with it, so much so that they will go after them on social media if they have accounts there.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:44 pm

I mean dragon ball super for sure has brought me more enjoyment than the starwars failures sooo. even as meh as its been I'm gonna have to give the win to dragon ball's revival

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm

I do think the size of the fanbase plays into this. Star Wars has a VERY passionate fanbase, so it's not surprising that it also has a dark side (tee hee). I'm beginning to think one of the previous poster's point about DB being able stay in a state of stasis vs. Star Wars killing off beloved characters and having them age is a factor in the overall appraisal.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:08 am

anyway Star Wars revival and dragon ball revival were something’s I wasn’t excepting and they were okay.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I would compare it to Star Wars thusly:

After a groundbreaking original run that was initially followed up by a somewhat disappointing run that did come to a satisfying conclusion but was ultimately not well-received, the franchise was put on a break for a while. (original & prequel trilogies - original manga & anime run)

Then, after a lot of time passes and a lot of video games are released, we eventually approach a revival...

We start off with a re-entry that is largely just rehashing old material. (Force Awakens - Kai, 2010 OVA, 2011 OVA)
Not groundbreaking, but certainly enjoyable, and gets things off to a promising start.

We get some really strong, different material (Last Jedi - Broly, the Yamucha manga, a lot of the filler from the Super anime, argualby Battle Of Gods and some of the Super manga)
Somewhat polarising, but does some really neat stuff, and ultimately gets one really excited about the revival, showing all the limitless potential that could be explored by coming back to this old franchise.

But ultimately, the whole thing is somewhat soured by some incredibly weak, style-over-substance crap that's enjoyable in the moment, but gets shittier the more you think about it, and ultimately just exists to provide fanservice and yet somehow is totally ignorant of established lore, characterisations, arcs, etc., and is rife with ridiculous retcons. (Rise Of Skywalker - Dragon Ball Super & Resurrection F)
Even previous revival-era stuff that was greatly enjoyed seems rather soured as the bad elements of this really shit work are reflected by trends shown earlier. Though for some reason, tons of people seem to praise it, particularly noting that they liked how it replaced a previous work they didn't like, but when asked why it was any good, all anyone can seem to muster is that it looked kinda good and had some good action and the main villains weren't quite as dumb as they conceptually seem, even though they are kinda haphazardly crammed-in in a way that doesn't make any sense...

But ultimately, the future may be very bright, and there's lots of opportunity for interesting things ahead. (Kenobi, Clone Wars season 7, Mandalorian, Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie, Rian Johnson's trilogy, etc. - a sequel to Broly, a potentially Shintani-led 2uper, the possibility of more spinoff manga, etc.)

-

You may very well say these connections are tenuous at best, and this post seems lacking in any real point other than "Robo doesn't like Rise Of Skywalker or Dragon Ball Super", which is a bit of a tired thing at this point, and doesn't really need saying again, especially not in such a shallow manner.
And you'd be right.
IMO, comparing Star Wars and Dragon Ball's revivals only serves any use insofar as to point out that yes, we are in a time where multiple old properties are being revived (which is pretty normal for... Every period), and use some tenuous connections as a vehicle to vent some frustrations at both franchises while saying nothing of any real substance other than "nostalgiabait bad".
Honestly, I don't think it's a very useful lens through which to examine either franchise.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.