New Year's complete Dragon Ball rewatch

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

New Year's complete Dragon Ball rewatch

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:57 pm

I haven't rewatched any decent portion of the original run since Super was new, so it's been like five years? So, I feel it's about time to rewatch. And as we rewatch, we can discuss our thoughts. Kind of like Ajay's rewatch from two years ago, but of course, Ajay's rewatch only covered Z, since he'd already watched OG DB himself at that point, and he didn't feel like doing GT. The coward. :P

Anyway, I actually skipped out on Ajay's rewatch; dunno if I'm alone in this, but if I'm to be totally honest, a rewatch that skips OG DB does not interest me in the slightest. It's like an Oreo without the filling. And for the first rewatch of this decade, we're gonna do this the right way. ;)
And hey, maybe some of you have never watched all of OG DB before, and this is your chance to finally check it out. Maybe the same for GT. :)

So, here's my proposal:
Similar format to Ajay's rewatch -- five episodes a week for as long as it takes, but all 508 episodes of Dragon Ball, Z, and GT, as well as all 3 TV specials. And y'know what, screw it, we'll do the original 17 movies too.

TV specials and movies will either count as two or all five of its weeks episodes, depending on what seems convenient.
We'll decide in advance which weeks a lot of us will be busy for, and either take those weeks off, or just put a movie on them.

We start in the new year, and either I'll open a thread for each week, as Ajay did, or we'll just revive this thread each week.

Taking another cue from Ajay's rewatch, watch whichever version you like, but I suggest watching the original Japanese version with subtitles, particularly if you've never done it before.

So, who's in?

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Re: New Year's complete Dragon Ball rewatch

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Darn I started a couple weeks back. Currently on ep 50-something of DB. First time watching DB, Z and GT all the way through in Japanese. I'm down for checking out the discussions for sure!
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Honestly I was gonna do this pretty soon anyway so I'll participate.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Multi-Man

Post by Multi-Man » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:20 pm

I am so down for this. I wanted to start watching the series the way it was intended anyways, so this is a perfect opportunity.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:58 pm

my....first time watch of the original anime series hardcore fell off, i stalled at episode 47 for DB, and episode 250 for Z, so i wouldn't mind restarting lmao. i wasn't able to participate in Ajay's thread because i didn't have a way to watch any of the series (well, in full) at the time, but during my watch this year, i did read a lot of that thread just to see what people thought about certain episodes and all that stuff. so it'll be fun to join in on that discussion this time.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 am

I would participate if I wasn't invested in reading all the manga first! But I will read the future discussions, sure.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:05 am

Witty User Name wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 am I would participate if I wasn't invested in reading all the manga first! But I will read the future discussions, sure.
I was actually thinking it'd be interesting to try and replicate a compressed approximation of the manga/anime reading/watching experience. Read the manga and watch the show + movies in offset parallel! And of course there are a lot of points where both the manga and anime took some time off.

...not that I could do it since I don't own the original Z, haha.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 am

I would love to participate on this, will watch DB/Z/GT only though, plus movies and tv specials (not Super or Dragon Ball 2.0 beerus etc), my preferred view is with dubbing (but original ost), in any case I'm all for it, bring it on!

So we discuss each week each episode right? or each pack of episodes?

I would like for this to be anime only, as there's so many manga stuff out there already, but I will agree with the majority.

Also, no skipping so-called "filler" please! For me it's important and enjoyable.

Finally, my suggestion is to see movies and specials in saga order, as in, not watching Janemba movie in the midst of the Cell saga.

I'm excited!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am

anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 am I would love to participate on this, will watch DB/Z/GT only though, plus movies and tv specials (not Super or Dragon Ball 2.0 beerus etc)
I think that was the plan. All 508 episodes of the original Dragon Ball trilogy plus the movies and tv special no Kai or Super or skipping filler.

, my preferred view is with dubbing (but original ost), in any case I'm all for it, bring it on!
I can’t see nothing wrong with watching the dub, if that is preferred, but at the same time the dub changes a lot of dialog so a lot of nuance is lost like the Dragon Ball dub stripping pretty much any religious stuff like Goku doing a buddhist prayer at muscle tower or God being well God. Granted the general plot beats are the same so if you prefer the dub have at it.
Finally, my suggestion is to see movies and specials in saga order, as in, not watching Janemba movie in the midst of the Cell saga.

I'm excited!
I think it would be best to watch the movies where they corresponded to their Japanese release dates.

I.E watch Dragon Ball movie 1 after episode 43 Dragon Ball movie 2 after episode 70 etc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Sounds like it could be fun, but no way I'll have time for this.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am
anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 am I would love to participate on this, will watch DB/Z/GT only though, plus movies and tv specials (not Super or Dragon Ball 2.0 beerus etc)
I think that was the plan. All 508 episodes of the original Dragon Ball trilogy plus the movies and tv special no Kai or Super or skipping filler.

, my preferred view is with dubbing (but original ost), in any case I'm all for it, bring it on!
I can’t see nothing wrong with watching the dub, if that is preferred, but at the same time the dub changes a lot of dialog so a lot of nuance is lost like the Dragon Ball dub stripping pretty much any religious stuff like Goku doing a buddhist prayer at muscle tower or God being well God. Granted the general plot beats are the same so if you prefer the dub have at it.

I'm excited!
I think it would be best to watch the movies where they corresponded to their Japanese release dates.

I.E watch Dragon Ball movie 1 after episode 43 Dragon Ball movie 2 after episode 70 etc.
Yeah you're probably right, we should watch movies by date released, also I realize the dub changes lots of things, but with Dragon Ball I strangely like it more than the japanese. I'm not sure why, but I'm certain the english dub is one of the best out there aside from jap (even though many people complain about it, and rightly so).

Are you going to participate? :D

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:37 pm

anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 am So we discuss each week each episode right? or each pack of episodes?
Here's how this'll work:
Each week, on Wednesday (chosen because that's the first day of the week of the new year), I'll post a thread for that week's set of five episodes. And people are expected to post their thoughts on it, however they like, in that thread.
Correct.

Personally, I think Dragon Ball should be watched fully; all 508 episodes of Dragon Ball, Z, and GT, as well as the TV specials, and optionally the movies, with all filler and such included. It's a lot, but it's the complete experience. :)

Naturally, if anyone wants to skip filler, they can. But they'll be missing material we're discussing in the threads.
Exactly. In theory, dubbing is fine, but Dragon Ball's dubs are notoriously not faithful to the source material. But watch however you like! The purpose of this rewatch is enjoyment, so just watch it however you believe you'll most enjoy it. :)

I'm excited!

That's the plan. Though I reserve the right to shuffle things around ever so slightly. For instance, I may put DB movie 1 after episode 45 instead, so it comes after a story beat has been resolved, rather than in the middle of a story beat. Similarly, I'd probably put DB movie 2 after the Baba mini-arc, rather than right in the middle of it. :)
Besides, the movies have release dates, not airdates, so it wasn't expected that everyone would see them all at once anyway.

The TV specials will go exactly where they originally aired.
anubisj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 am I would like for this to be anime only, as there's so many manga stuff out there already, but I will agree with the majority.
The assumption is that people will be watching the anime along with this, yes. :)
If someone wants to be weird and read the manga as we do this rewatch, then we're not going to say they're unwelcome, but certainly they'll be out of the ordinary.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I wouldn't watch it exactly the date of release. Watch the movies closer to the period when they obstensibly take place, but also don't ruin the flow of the story. For instance
DB Movie 1 - after DB episode 13. It is after all a retelling of the first 13 episodes.
DB Movie 3 - before the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
Bardock special - Right after Ginyu's defeat. It works as a great tee up for the final battle against Freeza
DBZ movie 2 - After DBZ episode 35

I would watch the 10th anniversary special after GT is completed or after the RRA is defeated.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:25 pm

Ok, I'm ready for it then! Oh by the way, I do agree with ABED, maybe it's better if we see the movies in an organic way, without ruining the flow of the story; here's my proposal (I'll name the movies after the main villain to save time and make it clearer):

-Gurumes: After the Pilaf saga

-Lucifer: After the 21st Tenkaichi saga

-Tao & Shen: After the 22nd Tenkaichi saga

-Garlic Jr: After the Saiyan saga

-Dr. Wheelo: After the Saiyan saga

-Turles: After the Saiyan saga

-Slug: After the Frieza saga

-Cooler: After the Frieza saga

-Bardock: After the Frieza saga

-Metal Cooler: After the Cell saga

-Android 13: After the Cell saga

-Broly: After Cell saga

-Bojack: After Cell saga

-Future: After the Cell saga

-Broly 2nd: After Buu saga

-Bio-Broly: After Buu saga

-Janemba: After Buu saga

-Hirudegarn: After Buu saga

-Goku Jr: After some time in the Shadow Dragons saga

I would omit the 10th anniversary movie, but feel free to discuss it of course; if you are going to watch it, I suggest after GT though. And the above are just estimates, maybe it's better if we see them after certain moments in each saga, instead of when the saga is done.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm

DBZ Movie 1 comes before before DBZ episode 1 since no one has met Gohan yet and he's completely untrained.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:44 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm DBZ Movie 1 comes before before DBZ episode 1 since no one has met Gohan yet and he's completely untrained.
Yeah but aside from wanting to see the first episodes of DBZ before a movie, there's a few inconsistencies, like Krillin not knowing Gohan in the series, even though he meets him in the movie.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:50 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm DBZ Movie 1 comes before before DBZ episode 1 since no one has met Gohan yet and he's completely untrained.
DBZ movie 1 doesn’t actually fit anywhere. Bulma, Kuririn, and Roshi absolutely do know who Gohan is because Goku goes to Kame House to collect the dragon radar to find Gohan, which doesn’t make sense if it takes place before episode 1. And of course it doesn’t fit anywhere after.

If you ignore that big gaping issue and how Goku and Piccolo shouldn’t be so surprised at Gohan’s hidden power against Raditz then yes before episode 1 is the best place to try to squeeze it in the timeline.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:02 pm

It's 2019 and I've been a fan of DB since 1991. I know the movie can't possibly fit in the timeline, but the place where it makes most sense and approximates the time period when the film is supposedly set in is CLEARLY meant to be before Raditz arrives.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Personally I vote to just watch the movies when they came out. I think the fans put far more thought into timeline placement for the Movies than anyone at Toei ever did.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:11 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:38 pm Personally I vote to just watch the movies when they came out. I think the fans put far more thought into timeline placement for the Movies than anyone at Toei ever did.
This x1,000,000. Toei clearly doesn’t think too hard about it the movies are just side stories divorced from the current goings on of the show to be as accessible as possible