What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:24 pm

What if dragon ball was a comic book series any thoughts? I mean made by western writers and artist like say marvel or dc? What are your thoughts on that?
Last edited by Toxin45 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm

It is a comic book series.

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
It is a comic book series.
I mean a western comic book store like made by marvel and dc like a foreign remake of sorts

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1849
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Pretty sure there was a thread about this not so long ago with reimagined designs for the characters.

Personally I don't think it would work that well as Toriyama has a very unique art style even among Mangaka.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4662
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:33 pm

What if Dragon Ball was a comic book series?
Then I'd read it left to right.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6021
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:43 pm

There would be a bunch of different artists and writers and nothing would be consistent.

So, in other words, nothing would change.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17762
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:33 pm
What if Dragon Ball was a comic book series?
Then I'd read it left to right.
Ha, noice! That is genuinely clever.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14026
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 pm

You have plenty of comics written by a single author from start to finish or current. DB would be no different.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5386
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:38 pm

The series would've gotten rebooted about 10 different times by different authors.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 pm

I have to say it's a bit troubling hearing Western comic books being framed as "lacking consistency" and "rebooted ten different times" and so forth. I don't think that comic book history deserves to be misrepresented in that way.

If anything, Dragon Ball might become *more* consistent in the Marvel/DC style. Especially with the right editors who are invested enough. However, too much consistency might work to DB's detriment. There would almost certainly be an increased emphasis on "lore" though, for those who concern themselves with it.

It would also be interesting to see how the artwork would evolve over time compared to Toriyama's.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17762
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 pm
I have to say it's a bit troubling hearing Western comic books being framed as "lacking consistency" and "rebooted ten different times" and so forth. I don't think that comic book history deserves to be misrepresented in that way.

If anything, Dragon Ball might become *more* consistent in the Marvel/DC style. Especially with the right editors who are invested enough. However, too much consistency might work to DB's detriment. There would almost certainly be an increased emphasis on "lore" though, for those who concern themselves with it.

It would also be interesting to see how the artwork would evolve over time compared to Toriyama's.
This shouldn't be controversial. DC and Marvel characters have big differences owed to the simple fact that different writers and artists come to these characters with their own ideas.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:17 am

ABED wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 pm
This shouldn't be controversial. DC and Marvel characters have big differences owed to the simple fact that different writers and artists come to these characters with their own ideas.
What you call big differences I would call small differences. And with strong editorial oversight you can keep a series of different writers/artists in check and their ideas organized. No need for rebooting.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am

MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 pm
I have to say it's a bit troubling hearing Western comic books being framed as "lacking consistency" and "rebooted ten different times" and so forth. I don't think that comic book history deserves to be misrepresented in that way.

If anything, Dragon Ball might become *more* consistent in the Marvel/DC style. Especially with the right editors who are invested enough. However, too much consistency might work to DB's detriment. There would almost certainly be an increased emphasis on "lore" though, for those who concern themselves with it.

It would also be interesting to see how the artwork would evolve over time compared to Toriyama's.
I personally have never gotten into American comics precisely because I find it so confusing. I look at any character's Wikipedia page whether it's a Spider-Man character, Superman, Batman, etc. and everyone has multiple sections that explain each canon. There is no single, definitive version of these characters. They only seem to share a few roots such as Batman's parents are dead, Uncle Ben got killed, Superman came from Krypton, etc.

Manga like Dragon Ball have consistency. You can point to the comic/manga and someone can see the story as originally envisioned by the creator Akira Toriyama. You can't do that with American comics because so many different people make their own versions that don't have anything to do with each other. Sure, we have things in DB such as the Jump 2008 special Son Goku and His Friends Return, the Toei movies 1-13, that remake of Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans from Raging Blast 2, etc. but those are simply non-canon. I think that's the best way to explain the difference. There is a canon in manga or at least Dragon Ball. American comics do not, but have new people rebooting characters indefinitely. Imagine if Shuesha hired different people every 3-5 years to make a story called "Dragon Ball" about a guy named Goku and 7 dragon balls. That's basically what we're dealing with in the US.

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:42 am

MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 pm
I have to say it's a bit troubling hearing Western comic books being framed as "lacking consistency" and "rebooted ten different times" and so forth. I don't think that comic book history deserves to be misrepresented in that way.

If anything, Dragon Ball might become *more* consistent in the Marvel/DC style. Especially with the right editors who are invested enough. However, too much consistency might work to DB's detriment. There would almost certainly be an increased emphasis on "lore" though, for those who concern themselves with it.

It would also be interesting to see how the artwork would evolve over time compared to Toriyama's.
There are other comics like image comics,dark horse comics,idw,and other comic publishers with creator owned content and completed series

Toxin45
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 pm
I have to say it's a bit troubling hearing Western comic books being framed as "lacking consistency" and "rebooted ten different times" and so forth. I don't think that comic book history deserves to be misrepresented in that way.

If anything, Dragon Ball might become *more* consistent in the Marvel/DC style. Especially with the right editors who are invested enough. However, too much consistency might work to DB's detriment. There would almost certainly be an increased emphasis on "lore" though, for those who concern themselves with it.

It would also be interesting to see how the artwork would evolve over time compared to Toriyama's.
I personally have never gotten into American comics precisely because I find it so confusing. I look at any character's Wikipedia page whether it's a Spider-Man character, Superman, Batman, etc. and everyone has multiple sections that explain each canon. There is no single, definitive version of these characters. They only seem to share a few roots such as Batman's parents are dead, Uncle Ben got killed, Superman came from Krypton, etc.

Manga like Dragon Ball have consistency. You can point to the comic/manga and someone can see the story as originally envisioned by the creator Akira Toriyama. You can't do that with American comics because so many different people make their own versions that don't have anything to do with each other. Sure, we have things in DB such as the Jump 2008 special Son Goku and His Friends Return, the Toei movies 1-13, that remake of Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans from Raging Blast 2, etc. but those are simply non-canon. I think that's the best way to explain the difference. There is a canon in manga or at least Dragon Ball. American comics do not, but have new people rebooting characters indefinitely. Imagine if Shuesha hired different people every 3-5 years to make a story called "Dragon Ball" about a guy named Goku and 7 dragon balls. That's basically what we're dealing with in the US.
Then super happened.....

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6210
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:00 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am
There is a canon in manga or at least Dragon Ball.
Source?
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am
Sure, we have things in DB such as the Jump 2008 special Son Goku and His Friends Return, the Toei movies 1-13, that remake of Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans from Raging Blast 2, etc. but those are simply non-canon.
In a hypothetical scenario in which you already posted a legit source to the supposed canon that you claim Dragon Ball has, if Tarble OVA isn't canonical, then who the heck is the Vegeta brother mentioned in Movie 14 and in Movie 1 then?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13481
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:04 am

I think the only western writer who I'd be interested in reading a Dragon Ball comic from is Scarz and that's only if she was allowed 100% creative control. On second thought, a Stjepan Šejić take on Dragon Ball would be interesting if he was allowed to model it after Sunstone. Basically, I don't want the DC Universe or Marvel Universe model.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:44 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 am
I personally have never gotten into American comics precisely because I find it so confusing. I look at any character's Wikipedia page whether it's a Spider-Man character, Superman, Batman, etc. and everyone has multiple sections that explain each canon. There is no single, definitive version of these characters. They only seem to share a few roots such as Batman's parents are dead, Uncle Ben got killed, Superman came from Krypton, etc.
The problem here isn't with American comics, it's a problem with Wikipedia and the folks who contribute to it. Aside from Wikipedia being problematic in and of itself, the comics-related pages are so poorly conceived and organized that I have no doubt readers would walk away confused and questioning the canonicity and consistency of these books. I understand the difficulty in getting into comic books, but I don't believe it's impossible. Unfortunately there are some roads that lead newcomers in the wrong direction.
Imagine if Shuesha hired different people every 3-5 years to make a story called "Dragon Ball" about a guy named Goku and 7 dragon balls. That's basically what we're dealing with in the US.
I think that's an overstatement. It's not so much that there is no canon in American comic books, it's that the canon is subject to change every so often. And over a span of decades and decades the breadth of the series can appear confusing and inconsistent. Of course there are bound to be *some* inconsistencies over a long period of time, but that doesn't define those series as a whole.

That said, the perception of Marvel/DC comics rebooting indefinitely could well apply to the books being published in present day and within the last couple decades. Whatever the case I don't think it applies to the larger history of decades past, which is where one would be more likely to find any "definitive" version of the characters.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17762
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:17 am

It's not the Wikipedia pages, the continuity/canon aspect of superhero comics is confusing because fans place WAY too much emphasis on it. Continuity can be used for good or ill. When it's bad, it's because the tail is wagging the dog. DC's the bigger offender of this since it used to put so little effort into its continuity and yet its big events are usually about dealing with their continuity. It's not that hard to get into superhero stories b/c they are deceptively simple and usually designed to be able to jump into them at nearly any point because as Stan Lee stated, "every comic is someone's first comic". The problem I have is with the continuity obsessed fans putting so much emphasis on it to the point where companies capitulate to them. Most superhero stories are deceptively simple. If you don't know something, you can look it up. Nothing on the internet is more meticulously catalogued as superhero comics. People start series in the middle all the time. In the streaming era, that might be less and less the case, but I still stand by that statement.

The good that comes from continuity is when events in the past can reverberate into the present and future of the characters and their stories.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:17 am
ABED wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 pm
This shouldn't be controversial. DC and Marvel characters have big differences owed to the simple fact that different writers and artists come to these characters with their own ideas.
What you call big differences I would call small differences. And with strong editorial oversight you can keep a series of different writers/artists in check and their ideas organized. No need for rebooting.
That seems like a truly awful idea. It's putting consistency and continuity over good storytelling and a strong authorial voice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6021
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: What if dragon ball was a comic book series?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:37 am

I was pointing out that DB already has that kind of multiple continuity mess (you have the anime, manga, Super anime and manga, the movies, GT, the video games, the Heroes anime, the TV specials, Kai, the BoG/RoF movies compared to the anime arcs of the same events, etc.)

Not really all that different from all the different versions of Batman or Superman.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Post Reply