My biggest issue with Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: My biggest issue with Super

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:26 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:46 pm
Goku even says "After I train you we can then fight and go all out! Doesn't that sound amazing!"
Which doesn't make them rivals. It makes them sparring partners. Broly, he actually sees as a friendly rival, hence "call me Kakarot" type thing. It's simply two different types of character relationships. There isn't as much opportunity to get the fulfillment of being a mentor from Broly as there is with Uub. And there definitely isn't with Jiren.
I think your miss remembering the scene. Goku is giddy with excitement at the prospect of fighting Uub

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 pm
That's not immediately obvious.
It's extremely likely. Only way it isn't is, Uub indeed was born far stronger than Kid Buu, or Goku didn't progress at all between the time of Kid Buu's defeat and EoZ (ignoring Super even exists). Which, come on, this is Goku we're talking about. He certainly progressed.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pm
I think your miss remembering the scene. Goku is giddy with excitement at the prospect of fighting Uub
Being excited about fighting someone, isn't necessarily the same as seeing them as a rival.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pm
Being excited about fighting someone, isn't necessarily the same as seeing them as a rival.
Well by rival I mean fight buddy, which is exactly how he viewed Uub

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 pm
That's not immediately obvious.
It's extremely likely. Only way it isn't is, Uub indeed was born far stronger than Kid Buu, or Goku didn't progress at all between the time of Kid Buu's defeat and EoZ (ignoring Super even exists). Which, come on, this is Goku we're talking about. He certainly progressed.
Progressed, definitely, but to the point of being stronger than pure Buu? That's pure conjecture.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 pm

My biggest issue with EoZ Uub is that beside reversed name, there is nothing about him that would remind me of Buu. :|

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 pm
Progressed, definitely, but to the point of being stronger than pure Buu? That's pure conjecture.
If we're strictly talking power, Goku's SSJ3 form was already more powerful than pure Buu. The problem was it rapidly drains ki, which starkly contrasted with Buu's apparent limitless stamina, and endurance, as well as his natural resistance to blunt force.

Buu simply had other advantages, and Goku's best form simply had a huge weakness. But it wasn't related to sheer power.
Last edited by Melee_Sovereign on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm
If we're strictly talking power, Goku's SSJ3 form was already more powerful than pure Buu. The problem was it rapidly drains ki, which starkly contrasted with Buu's apparent limitless stamina, and endurance, as well as his natural resistance to blunt force.

Buu simply had other advantages, and Goku's best form simply had a huge weakness. But it wasn't related to sheer power.
Yes Goku as SSJ3 was always stronger. I think he was saying Base Goku never reaches that level which he doesn't because that would be silly

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 pm
Yes Goku as SSJ3 was always stronger. I think he was saying Base Goku never reaches that level which he doesn't because that would be silly
Well Base Goku isn't as strong as Hit or Jiren either.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:34 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 pm
Well Base Goku isn't as strong as Hit or Jiren either.
Sorry I must have worded it poorly. I was trying to explain what I thought that guy was trying to say because that wasn't my point my bad

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm

There's no reason to think SSJ3 Goku was stronger than pure Buu. Buu never slowed down, never got winded, and showed no visible signs of damage, so how exactly did you reach the conclusion that SSJ3 Goku was stronger?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am
There's no reason to think SSJ3 Goku was stronger than pure Buu. Buu never slowed down, never got winded, and showed no visible signs of damage, so how exactly did you reach the conclusion that SSJ3 Goku was stronger?
Goku himself basically said so. Him saying it is a reason to think SSJ3 Goku is stronger than pure Buu. Maybe it's not a good enough reason to think, and that's a fair argument to make. But it's still a reason to believe it.

And like I pointed out earlier, Buu never slowed down because he has ridiculously broken endurance, and his physiology has a natural resistance to blunt force. It doesn't mean his ki power is higher than SSJ3.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:25 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am
Goku himself basically said so. Him saying it is a reason to think SSJ3 Goku is stronger than pure Buu. Maybe it's not a good enough reason to think, and that's a fair argument to make. But it's still a reason to believe it.

And like I pointed out earlier, Buu never slowed down because he has ridiculously broken endurance, and his physiology has a natural resistance to blunt force. It doesn't mean his ki power is higher than SSJ3.
What specifically does he say?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:44 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:25 pm
What specifically does he say?
Vegeta noted to Goku that he could beat pure Buu with SSJ3 at full power, and Goku agreed. The problem is, Goku was struggling to utilize the full power of SSJ3 and claimed he needed 1 minute to gather the energy to reach full power. That's why we have the scene of Goku powering up while Vegeta holds off Buu. Only problem is SSJ3 is far too unsustainable and Goku actually ends up powering down to base, involuntarily. It's like Buu is an energy efficient Tesla, and SSJ3 is a 1969 Dodge Charger Hellcat with a massive V8 engine, that's modified with a supercharger. Extremely powerful, but just eats up gasoline like nothing.

Manga scene is here:

https://www.mangareader.net/dragon-ball/511/13

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:54 pm

Considering the sheer number of times they've been surprised by Buu's power, I truly doubt it. And you don't have to explain the drawbacks of SSJ3 to me. It's not some esoteric bit of DB lore. It's well known and I'm not a newbie.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:28 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:54 pm
Considering the sheer number of times they've been surprised by Buu's power, I truly doubt it. And you don't have to explain the drawbacks of SSJ3 to me. It's not some esoteric bit of DB lore. It's well known and I'm not a newbie.
I see your point, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Buu is more powerful than whatever power level the cast has ever sensed from Buu. Every scene where they were surprised by Buu's power, it meant that they sensed a level from Buu that they didn't sense before. And I don't think there was ever a moment they were surprised by Buu's power between the time Goku was confident in SSJ3 beating him, and the time of Buu's defeat.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 pm

It's not like characters haven't been overconfident, so I fail to see why that should factor so heavily into the equation.