Craziest Dragon Ball-related opinions, rumours, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arian
Banned

Craziest Dragon Ball-related opinions, rumours, etc.

Post by Arian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 am

Now, allow me to clarify what the title is referring to. I don't mean opinions such as is Super better than Z, or anything within the fandom, like power levels, characters, character motives, etc. Well, I guess some of them are acceptable, but they have to be very radical and extreme for it to be relevant to this topic in particular.

I'm referring to things about the series, outside the fandom that you never thought you'd hear in a million years. Also link the video, blog post, etc. if it came from something documented on the Internet.

Allow me to start. A friend of mine recently told me she came across a Dragon Ball blog from the 1990s or early 2000s where someone had apparently stated that the Speedy Video dub out of Malaysia (which was new at the time) was a higher quality dub and had a better translation overall than Ocean's dub of the series [FUNimation/Saban dub]. If anyone can find this and link it to me, I'd be most grateful because neither of us could recover this to save our lives!

I can't wait to hear you guys' stories! ^_^
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: Craziest Dragon Ball-related opinions, rumours, etc.

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 am

This isn't all that crazy but I managed to convince my brother to watch the Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier trilogy by bullshitting a bunch of similarities between their rivalry and the VegetaxGoku rivalry.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:53 am

I know someone who thought that Dragonball was the first anime ever made.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:33 am

I keep hearing this claim that the story starts with Z, it's pretty weird.

---

I can't remember who said it but I remember hearing on the Podcast that one of the hosts initially thought Goku was a Space Captain because he started watching when Goku was on his way to Namek!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29 am

For some reason TheGamer reported that George Lucas was considered to direct Dragonball Evolution. Not sure where this information came from, but I imagine it was made up. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I've never heard Lucas say anything about Dragon Ball, he's probably heard of it but if he was asked to direct an adaptation of such an iconic series I'd say it would be more well documented.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:44 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:33 am I keep hearing this claim that the story starts with Z, it's pretty weird.

---

I can't remember who said it but I remember hearing on the Podcast that one of the hosts initially thought Goku was a Space Captain because he started watching when Goku was on his way to Namek!
i'm pretty sure it was herm's, that was someone's signature for a while, super funny story.

anyway yeah i adore old dragon ball rumors or old discussions were everyone is clearly wrong, especially those from before the was a reliable way to watch the series, it's just so fascinating to read. a lot of the old gamefaq guides for the snes and ps1 games are normally pretty funny, one for ultimate battle 22 i think claimed that goten and trunks were like, 2 and 3 respectively, lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:50 am

Lately i've been hearing a lot of people think yamcha wasnt a joke/comedy relief character from the beginning.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 am

Dragon Ball was a light-hearted martial arts comedy, unlike Dragon Ball Z which was a serious sci-fi action series

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am

For years, my brother had the understanding that after GT's poor reception in its first half, Toei brought Akira Toriyama back to write the Evil Dragons storyline, which is why that storyline was so much better than what came before in GT.

To this day, I have no idea where he got that idea.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:40 am

That there's no need to watch the first Dragon Ball series because DBZ tells us everything we need to know.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm

That this series, originally based around Journey to the West, about a young martial arts prodigy (who's heavily, heavily based on Sun Wukong) who goes on a lifelong, never-ending journey training under various great martial arts masters, mystics, and heavenly deities, meets, fights, and befriends countless martial arts fighters like him (many of whom derive numerous characteristics from other martial arts myths and stories), competes in countless martial arts tournaments to test his fighting skills, mastering all manner of new secret mystical/Taoist martial arts techniques, all with the one main overriding goal of being the absolute greatest fighter he can possibly be...

...actually isn't about martial arts at all, nor does it have anything really to do with martial arts whatsoever, and is in fact a purely team-based superhero story about a team of Justice League-esque planet protectors who dedicate their lives to saving the world from evil doers.

The whole "the story starts at Z" thing is certainly up there, but ultimately I don't think there's anything that tops this one for me.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm That this series, originally based around Journey to the West, about a young martial arts prodigy (who's heavily, heavily based on Sun Wukong) who goes on a lifelong, never-ending journey training under various great martial arts masters, mystics, and heavenly deities, meets, fights, and befriends countless martial arts fighters like him (many of whom derive numerous characteristics from other martial arts myths and stories), competes in countless martial arts tournaments to test his fighting skills, mastering all manner of new secret mystical/Taoist martial arts techniques, all with the one main overriding goal of being the absolute greatest fighter he can possibly be...

...actually isn't about martial arts at all, nor does it have anything really to do with martial arts whatsoever, and is in fact a purely team-based superhero story about a team of Justice League-esque planet protectors who dedicate their lives to saving the world from evil doers.

The whole "the story starts at Z" thing is certainly up there, but ultimately I don't think there's anything that tops this one for me.
Are there still people out there who actually believe that? I mean it says all that on the Wikipedia entry, which only takes at best a couple of minutes to Google. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I mean surely it can't be as bad as it used to be?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Shiro97 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm That this series, originally based around Journey to the West, about a young martial arts prodigy (who's heavily, heavily based on Sun Wukong) who goes on a lifelong, never-ending journey training under various great martial arts masters, mystics, and heavenly deities, meets, fights, and befriends countless martial arts fighters like him (many of whom derive numerous characteristics from other martial arts myths and stories), competes in countless martial arts tournaments to test his fighting skills, mastering all manner of new secret mystical/Taoist martial arts techniques, all with the one main overriding goal of being the absolute greatest fighter he can possibly be...

Are there still people out there who actually believe that? I mean it says all that on the Wikipedia entry, which only takes at best a couple of minutes to Google. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I mean surely it can't be as bad as it used to be?
It's not that bad. This is just another exaggeration from him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm

It's not an exaggeration. Plenty of people think it's a superhero story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm It's not an exaggeration. Plenty of people think it's a superhero story.
In the early 2000s sure but not so much anymore.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm It's not an exaggeration. Plenty of people think it's a superhero story.
In the early 2000s sure but not so much anymore.
Even back then a good chunk of people didnt see it as a justice league like super hero show. Probably partially because other than the saiyans and krillin everyone was knock down fodder true, gotta have more than one guy beat the big bad for it to be like justice league. A lot of us just saw it as a martial arts japanese show, albeit the journey to the west wasnt known until later by a lot of us

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:34 pm

I think AF has the be the craziest as for years many people believed this 100+ episode show that no one had ever seen existed....somewhere. I would understand if we were talking about an episode or 2 as sometimes things get produced or are nearly finished but just never see the light of day, but 100s of episodes ? There were other rumors of unseen DB material but AF is what really took of and to this day there are mods for games and art. It just amazes me how something so fake can be so popular.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 amDragon Ball was a light-hearted martial arts comedy, unlike Dragon Ball Z which was a serious sci-fi action series.
I think this is due to how both shows were handled by Funimation in North America. Had they been dubbed and shown in the order they were intended to, EP1 of DB up to EP291 OF Z would've been looked at as one story that developed and changed over the course of its run. Japan has also played a role in this as they always treat Z as the main product while DB as a side prequel such as the dragon boxes and singles releasing for Z first, the manga's full color volumes starting with Z, and Kai only covering Z.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm not talking about it being a superhero team, just in that genre, and yes, people still believe it is.
I think this is due to how both shows were handled by Funimation in North America.
I'd like to think so, but plenty of people here on this very forum make that mistake.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm

That Piccolo was called "Devil Man" in Japan, and was the central figure in a Chinese cult upon which Dragon Ball was based.

That at the end of GT Goku wants all the power so he eats the Dragon Balls and becomes a god.

That Piccolo had a "Super Namek" form where his skin turns blue.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pmI'd like to think so, but plenty of people here on this very forum make that mistake.
Things would improve if the original DB would get promoted more. One way to do that would be for Funimation and other companies to license Select Vision's Blu-Ray release. It won't get it to Z's level of popularity but it'd certainly help. I'd get it without a second thought.
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pmPiccolo had a "Super Namek" form where his skin turns blue.
Don't give Toei any ideas. :lol: