What characters do you think are underutilized?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What characters do you think are underutilized?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Underutilised in terms of not appearing enough:
  • Tenshinhan - his story arc in the 22nd Tenkaichi is fantastic, he does great stuff in the Piccolo arc, and then Toriyama got bored of him and threw him aside.
  • Lunch - a fun character who grew in some neat ways, and then Toriyama got bored of her and threw her aside. Quite a pair she and Tenshinhan make, eh? :lol:
  • Oob - lookin' at you, GT!
  • Gotenks - lookin' at you, Super!
  • Videl & co. - Gohan's other classmates in the brief period where Dragon Ball became a John Hughes movie were all suddenly dropped despite being a lot of fun in the brief breather before the Boo arc proper began. More of them would've been nice, and the same goes for Videl. By which I mean, at the end of the Boo arc, she's basically trasnformed into Gohan's armcandy, she just kinda hangs out and fawns after him. I don't mind her hard edge softening out a little, but she basically just loses all personality, and thus, ceases to be Videl. GT never did anything with her, and Super has only served to flanderise her further.
  • #18 - While #16 and #17 didn't really have a place in the story after the Cell arc wrapped up (and I think it's best that #16 stays dead anyhow), #18 might be low-key one of my favourite characters in the franchise. She's one of the main reasons I actually really enjoyed Broly 3; she just plays off everyone so well, so interestingly, and often so humourously.
  • The GT evil dragons - The Evil Dragons arc just isn't long enough for a lot of these dragons to make as much of an impression as they could otherwise have. Even the somewhat-hated toxic waste/swamp dragon could've been a lot better if he was more of an ongoing threat revealed later; imagine the heroes notice the world going to rot, and their powers weakening, and they find out the horrendous toxic waste dragon is... This green toad guy. Could kinda give a Boo vibe; an unsettling, childishly sadistic menace, who's done serious damage to the world and the protagonists.
  • Boo - lookin' at you, Super!
Underutillised in terms of wasted potential despite appearing quite a lot:
  • Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Gotenks - alright, let's do this one more time: Toriyama changing his mind about how to finish the Boo arc really screwed up the entire "passing on the torch" theme that had been explored before that, it straight-up went against Goku outright saying his time is up and he wants the new generation to be able to fight these threats; it's cliché to say this stuff, but there's a reason for that: Toriyama made a bad call in not letting Gohan be the new main character in the end, and the fans in general have never been particularly happy with this, to my knowledge.. And this wasn't something that was pressured on him, this wasn't a case of him listening to the fans (he never did that anyway), this was him making a bad call. I hear he had less oversight from his editors for the Boo arc, so perhaps this should have been a portent for what we'd eventually see with all his half-baked storylines for Super. Regardless, yes, Goten, Trunks, Gohan, and Gotenks were screwed over by Toriyama's messy storytelling in the Boo arc. If Resurrection F is Toriyama's Phantom Menace, then Toriyama messing this stuff up is like his "And then the Ewoks beat the empire in Return Of The Jedi and Han doesn't fly the Falcon in the final battle"
  • Chichi - she was mildly annoying in her first appearance, but there was an excellent setup here that was paid off beautifully with the events at the 23rd Tenkaichi; utterly hilarious, and she was quite fun there. And then in isolated moments after that, we see an angle of Dragon Ball we rarely see; the concerned mother/wife of the guys training to bench planets. But, all too often, Toriyama took the low-hanging fruit and just painted her as the nagging old bag Goku has to negotiate with to get on with the plot. Which is a shame; Chichi deserved better.
  • Future Trunks - there is absolutely nothing wrong with his presence in the origina run. However, in my opinon, one of the worst decisions made in the overall outlining of Super (as in, ignoring the deep issues in the storytelling and presentation; I'm talking more in terms of the overall planning issues like the over-reliance on a consistent status quo) was that they decided to bring Trunks back, as a one-off. He should have become a regular in Super. There's an obvious character arc here; he fails to save his own timeline, and it gets wiped out, stranding him in the main timeline, and he slowly regains his confidence, eventually leading him to get a position on the Time Patrol. Broad and a little obvious, but tell it right in the moment-to-moment storytelling, and you could have a lot of fun moments, and a really compelling status quo change.
... I think the conclusions here are nothing shocking. Toriyama's ability to write women is very iffy, the original run and GT both slightly scrambled to get to their endings in different ways (GT was in a rush due to the low number of episodes at the end, the original run suffered from Toriyama changing his mind and messing up the flow of his own story), Super is a poorly-planned, poorly-plotted mess, and Toriyama constantly left characters behind who could have been a lot of fun.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 pm
  • Tenshinhan - his story arc in the 22nd Tenkaichi is fantastic, he does great stuff in the Piccolo arc, and then Toriyama got bored of him and threw him aside.

To be honest I think there wasn’t much for his character to go. His redemption arc in the 22nd Budokai and Piccolo Daimao arcs was really well done (better than Vegeta’s and neck and neck with Piccolo) but after that there wasn’t much to do with him. He wanted to be better then Goku but unlike Vegeta he clearly stood no chance of ever catching up and Piccolo turned out to be the much more interesting redeemed villain especially with his bond with Gohan. At least Tenshinhan got a brief moment to shine against both Cell and Boo.

[*]#18 - While #16 and #17 didn't really have a place in the story after the Cell arc wrapped up (and I think it's best that #16 stays dead anyhow), #18 might be low-key one of my favourite characters in the franchise. She's one of the main reasons I actually really enjoyed Broly 3; she just plays off everyone so well, so interestingly, and often so humourously.
18 was definitely underutilized/wasted. Second strongest non-Saiyan after Piccolo in the Boo arc and she gets sidelined other than her spotlight at the 25th Budokai and in Z movie 11.
  • Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Gotenks - alright, let's do this one more time: Toriyama changing his mind about how to finish the Boo arc really screwed up the entire "passing on the torch" theme that had been explored before that, it straight-up went against Goku outright saying his time is up and he wants the new generation to be able to fight these threats; it's cliché to say this stuff, but there's a reason for that: Toriyama made a bad call in not letting Gohan be the new main character in the end, and the fans in general have never been particularly happy with this, to my knowledge.. And this wasn't something that was pressured on him, this wasn't a case of him listening to the fans (he never did that anyway), this was him making a bad call. I hear he had less oversight from his editors for the Boo arc, so perhaps this should have been a portent for what we'd eventually see with all his half-baked storylines for Super. Regardless, yes, Goten, Trunks, Gohan, and Gotenks were screwed over by Toriyama's messy storytelling in the Boo arc. If Resurrection F is Toriyama's Phantom Menace, then Toriyama messing this stuff up is like his "And then the Ewoks beat the empire in Return Of The Jedi and Han doesn't fly the Falcon in the final battle"
Gohan not having the heart of a warrior and just being content as a scholar and family man (so exact opposite of his dad) made sense for his character. Goten and Trunks just wanted to have fun and didn’t take fighting and training as serious as their dads. I think Goku wanting to pass things off to the next generation, realizing they didn’t have the heart for it and cleaning up the mess felt fairly organic. It seemed the idea was Oob would be the successor Goku was looking for that Gohan and Goten and Trunks could never be. Of course that was undermined by Toei not being willing to let the series end where it ended...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm To be honest I think there wasn’t much for his character to go. His redemption arc in the 22nd Budokai and Piccolo Daimao arcs was really well done (better than Vegeta’s and neck and neck with Piccolo) but after that there wasn’t much to do with him. He wanted to be better then Goku but unlike Vegeta he clearly stood no chance of ever catching up and Piccolo turned out to be the much more interesting redeemed villain especially with his bond with Gohan. At least Tenshinhan got a brief moment to shine against both Cell and Boo.
[...]
Gohan not having the heart of a warrior and just being content as a scholar and family man (so exact opposite of his dad) made sense for his character. Goten and Trunks just wanted to have fun and didn’t take fighting and training as serious as their dads. I think Goku wanting to pass things off to the next generation, realizing they didn’t have the heart for it and cleaning up the mess felt fairly organic. It seemed the idea was Oob would be the successor Goku was looking for that Gohan and Goten and Trunks could never be. Of course that was undermined by Toei not being willing to let the series end where it ended...
Fair enough.

Personally, I think there was still more room for Tenshinhan as a character, and I always found the sudden redirection of the burden of main fighter to Goku really clunky (and I mean... Come on, he doesn't have to be a warrior at heart to realise that he has a duty to protect the people he cares about. Unlike the selfish warrior of Goku, Gohan doesn't particularly care for fighting, so he's more of a selfless hero type, but... Well, anyway, just my two cents), but to each their own. It's hard to argue that something that never happened, and likely was never even considered, may have been cool. :lol:
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm 18 was definitely underutilized/wasted. Second strongest non-Saiyan after Piccolo in the Boo arc and she gets sidelined other than her spotlight at the 25th Budokai and in Z movie 11.
Heh. Honestly, I don't really care about strength; Kuririn has always been something of a weakling, but he's an old favourite. It's all about the character. And there's plenty of room for #18 to do cool stuff without ever fighting again. I find so many scenes from Broly 3 utterly hilarious because she's just standing there watching all the stupidity unfold and she does not give a single fuck; she just wants her money from Mr Satan, and she wants outta there. And it's great! She's great!

Though it would be cool to see her fightiing more too, in addition to getting to still be a character present in the series I will say that. :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm

The GT evil dragons - The Evil Dragons arc just isn't long enough for a lot of these dragons to make as much of an impression as they could otherwise have. Even the somewhat-hated toxic waste/swamp dragon could've been a lot better if he was more of an ongoing threat revealed later; imagine the heroes notice the world going to rot, and their powers weakening, and they find out the horrendous toxic waste dragon is... This green toad guy. Could kinda give a Boo vibe; an unsettling, childishly sadistic menace, who's done serious damage to the world and the protagonists.
The last thing the story needed was to be drawn out. Of all the dragons, you picked the toxic sludge one? He's very memorable. It doesn't take long to leave an impression. You know who gives a Buu vibe? Buu. We dont' need another. Starting off with the weakling with a cool new ability that makes him a threat was a great way to start that gave GT a place to escalate. Not every character needs to stand out any way. If everyone does, no one does.

I think most of the characters are used about as well as they should. Tenshinhan comes back at strategic times to help out and even if he only amount to a distraction, it buys time for the heroes and a nice cheer moment for the audience.

The only character I'd like to see more of is Yajirobe and Bulma. Yeah, I know she's one of the main characters but her tech is valuable and her chemistry with Goku is one of the highlights of the entire story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm Gohan not having the heart of a warrior and just being content as a scholar and family man (so exact opposite of his dad) made sense for his character. Goten and Trunks just wanted to have fun and didn’t take fighting and training as serious as their dads. I think Goku wanting to pass things off to the next generation, realizing they didn’t have the heart for it and cleaning up the mess felt fairly organic. It seemed the idea was Oob would be the successor Goku was looking for that Gohan and Goten and Trunks could never be. Of course that was undermined by Toei not being willing to let the series end where it ended...
No offense but this reads like a lot of post hoc rationalizations and Gohan being Goku's opposite comes at the price of making Gohan just the dumbest character in the franchise. Throughout his whole life, the lesson Gohan's been taught is that if you are not strong enough, the things you care about will be taken from you and you will have to watch as the powerful hurt the innocent for their amusement. For everything he's endured to have had no impact on his outlook just feels like a hard sell. When my own negligence led to my sister loing a baby tooth I was inconsolable. I never let her out my sight again until she was in her teens. And that was just a baby tooth! If I'd watched a village of pacifist aliens get murdered I'd probably be doomsday preper by now.

And also, from a narrative standpoint, that's a character with a lot more dramatic potential than what Gohan is ultimately turned into. It's a little frustrating that the only character allowed a complicated outlook and dynamic with his family is Vegeta.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:51 pm

But by giving him that arc, you make him the lead character and a superhero. It's not that show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm Gohan not having the heart of a warrior and just being content as a scholar and family man (so exact opposite of his dad) made sense for his character. Goten and Trunks just wanted to have fun and didn’t take fighting and training as serious as their dads. I think Goku wanting to pass things off to the next generation, realizing they didn’t have the heart for it and cleaning up the mess felt fairly organic. It seemed the idea was Oob would be the successor Goku was looking for that Gohan and Goten and Trunks could never be. Of course that was undermined by Toei not being willing to let the series end where it ended...
No offense but this reads like a lot of post hoc rationalizations and Gohan being Goku's opposite comes at the price of making Gohan just the dumbest character in the franchise. Throughout his whole life, the lesson Gohan's been taught is that if you are not strong enough, the things you care about will be taken from you and you will have to watch as the powerful hurt the innocent for their amusement. For everything he's endured to have had no impact on his outlook just feels like a hard sell. When my own negligence led to my sister loing a baby tooth I was inconsolable. I never let her out my sight again until she was in her teens. And that was just a baby tooth! If I'd watched a village of pacifist aliens get murdered I'd probably be doomsday preper by now.

And also, from a narrative standpoint, that's a character with a lot more dramatic potential than what Gohan is ultimately turned into. It's a little frustrating that the only character allowed a complicated outlook and dynamic with his family is Vegeta.
I feel like you’re confusing “Gohan not becoming the Ultimate Strongest Fighter in the universe” with Gohan being a shallow or weakly written character.

Gohan clearly likes using his natural given talents to help people. He gets a kick out of being Great Saiyaman and even got his wife in on the action. But he’s not Goku or Vegeta. He’s not going to spend all his time training to get stronger. Unlike his dad he’s perfectly happy being a family man that doesn’t mean he won’t fight to help people (it seems like you got the idea that Gohan doesn’t fight when needed?) Gohan being Goku’s opposite is what makes him interesting. Goku was born a write off and constantly surpassed others and is always seeking stronger opponents to test himself. Gohan was born with the potential to be the strongest fighter in the universe but is fine with being a scholar, husband, and father. I think that’s a lot more dynamic than taking advantage of something that was gift wrapped to him. He doesn’t need to be Goku 2: The Revenge

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 pm I feel like you’re confusing “Gohan not becoming the Ultimate Strongest Fighter in the universe” with Gohan being a shallow or weakly written character.

Gohan clearly likes using his natural given talents to help people. He gets a kick out of being Great Saiyaman and even got his wife in on the action. But he’s not Goku or Vegeta. He’s not going to spend all his time training to get stronger. Unlike his dad he’s perfectly happy being a family man that doesn’t mean he won’t fight to help people (it seems like you got the idea that Gohan doesn’t fight when needed?) Gohan being Goku’s opposite is what makes him interesting. Goku was born a write off and constantly surpassed others and is always seeking stronger opponents to test himself. Gohan was born with the potential to be the strongest fighter in the universe but is fine with being a scholar, husband, and father. I think that’s a lot more dynamic than taking advantage of something that was gift wrapped to him. He doesn’t need to be Goku 2: The Revenge
I am not bothered by Gohan being a reluctant fighter. Nor am I bothered by him being a rung below Vegeta or Goku. I'm bothered by the fact that none of the things that happened to him have left a lasting mark.

Gohan being a goofball who likes Kamen Rider (which, even if unintended, makes a fun call back to ChiChi child outfit was reminicent of Ultraman 7) and dresses like a dork is great as far as I'm concerned. That's fun and seems like a natural outgrowth of who he was as a kid. But him just brushing off martial arts when so much of his young life was split between fight or flight situations is too hard a sell for me. It makes him look like an even bigger joke than the human fighters who at the very least knew to get out of the way once they fell too far behind. Gohan meanwhile has to relearn the same lesson multiple times; be weak, watch people he cares about suffer because he's weak, be motivated by this frustration to seek greater power. That's not the type of character arc you can really do more than once. At least to me it just makes all subsequent iterations feel really flat.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:31 am

What if Bulma weaponized her scientific prowess?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am

DBFanTalk wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:31 am What if Bulma weaponized her scientific prowess?
Like battle armor?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:37 am

DBFanTalk wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:31 am What if Bulma weaponized her scientific prowess?
They more or less already did it in GT when she creates that Bruits Waves emitter, which is something I dug.

Back to Gohan, I understand the point about his experiences not seeming to leave a lasting impression, but to that I say, if it did in the way you mean it, Gohan would have to spend the majority of his time training. He'd have to become his father.
That's not the type of character arc you can really do more than once.
Bingo, which is why you end the series.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:47 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:37 am
That's not the type of character arc you can really do more than once.
Bingo, which is why you end the series.
Well... yeah :-/

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am
Like battle armor?
It's possible. I was thinking of a Gravity Gun: using the Gravity Chamber technology to increase a target's gravity. Or an immobilisation ray gun.

FatGoku

Post by FatGoku » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Underutilized, eh?

Gohan was featured in Super, but not really utilized. That is, until the TOP, but he was barely used.

I feel that Nappa may have could've lasted longer in the Saiyan saga and could've been a bit stronger, but met the same fate he did in the original anime.

I feel Uub could've been featured in the Super anime, he was featured in the manga. Granted it was like 2 panels, and he was only shown farming/hunting for food. He could've been shown and mentioned, as he did in the manga.

Lastly, some nods to Beerus in DBZ and GT would've been nice.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:23 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am
Like battle armor?
I think Bulma could design some kind of mecha for the Z-Senshi, particularly the Earthlings so they could keep up with the others. Even better if they bring back Oozaru in order to face some new threat, and the Earthlings can fight in their giant robots while Piccolo uses his enlargement ability again.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:32 pm

FatGoku wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 pm <every character> was featured in Super, but not really utilized.
ftfy

Seriously, no one is actually utilised in Super, despite pretty much everyone being featured in it.
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm The last thing the story needed was to be drawn out.
As I laid out in my post, there's a lot of cool stuff you could do by telling this story over a longer span of episodes. GT was probably the best Dragon Ball's ever been at pacing its episodes well, the plot was always very well balanced across a given span of episodes, so to me, it seems clear that if they'd been given more episodes, they could've gone some very interesting places with the Evil Dragons arc.

As it stands, the Evil Dragons arc is quite lean and quick, but as a result, no one is particularly fleshed out, you don't really feel the impact on the world for everyday people... It did well given the number of episodes it had, but it could've been a lot more with more time.

It's like Avengers: Age Of Ultron. Solid movie, does well with the time it has, but it should have been longer. (Which is really Joss Whedon's fault; he decided he'd make it shorter than Avengers 1, and his hubris led him to pursue this task to the film's detriment. Still, reasons for time constraints don't really matter; the point is that there were constraints of time, and they weakened the end product)
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm Of all the dragons, you picked the toxic sludge one? He's very memorable. It doesn't take long to leave an impression.
He's memorable and gives an impression... As being really annoying. He's the Jar-Jar of Dragon Ball villains, let's be honest here.
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm You know who gives a Buu vibe? Buu. We dont' need another.
Missing the point entirely. I didn't say he should be like Boo, I used Boo as a comparison for a creepy, unsettling villain. Obviously he's not like Boo, and recontextualising him in the way I described wouldn't make him like Boo. Boo is just a useful comparison to get across my point. He's a comparison I'm attempting to use to more clearly communicate the idea I'm trying to get across.

Please read this part of my post very carefully before replying.
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm Not every character needs to stand out any way. If everyone does, no one does.
What?... That's crazy talk.
Should Toriyama have put less effort into the Red Ribbon generals at making them distinct, unique threats too? :crazy:
If you're introducing a character, and there's a way to make them really cool and interesting, you do that. Doesn't matter if they're a one-episode wonder, part of an ensemble, or a big bad; if you can make them interesting, you do that. Does the fact that every villain in Batman The Animated Series was interesting and cool in their own right diminish everyone? No. That would be utterly stupid. It makes it a better show that basically every episode, basically ever villain, basically every side character is memorable and interesting in their own right. That's a large part of why it's a classic.
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm I think most of the characters are used about as well as they should. Tenshinhan comes back at strategic times to help out and even if he only amount to a distraction, it buys time for the heroes and a nice cheer moment for the audience.

The only character I'd like to see more of is Yajirobe and Bulma. Yeah, I know she's one of the main characters but her tech is valuable and her chemistry with Goku is one of the highlights of the entire story.
Fair enough.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 pm

Please read this part of my post very carefully before replying.
Please stop assuming I'm not. You used the word "childishly" which is VERY specific to Buu. I read your post and I don't agree with a number of your points. Case in point, more time spent doesn't mean it will be spent well or that it's worth the trade off for things like pacing. And it's not the time spent that makes the difference by and large, it's the quality of the time. What more fleshing out do we need for the Evil Dragons? With the exception of two of the Dragons they are memorable. GT's big problem is really one of boring fights. I like the characters, it's just the fights that are boring as hell to watch which is also not a function of time.
What?... That's crazy talk.
Um no. That's basic logic. Some characters only need to serve some functional purpose. They don't need to be fleshed out. We don't need to know the story of every worthless peon in Freeza's army. The generals are different by virtue of them being generals. I would also argue that not every BTAS villain was interesting and cool. Law of averages dictates not all of them are going to be interesting. The ones that were are of course mostly the ones that already stood the test of time.

As I laid out in my post, there's a lot of cool stuff you could do by telling this story over a longer span of episodes. GT was probably the best Dragon Ball's ever been at pacing its episodes well, the plot was always very well balanced across a given span of episodes, so to me, it seems clear that if they'd been given more episodes, they could've gone some very interesting places with the Evil Dragons arc.
As being really annoying. He's the Jar-Jar of Dragon Ball villains, let's be honest here.
I honestly like him. He has a great gimmick and doesn't overstay his welcome. Starting off with a unique threat that's unexpectedly goofy gives the villains somewhere to go. Good stories are all about peaks and valleys. Starting small allows the dragons to build in intensity. He's not Jar Jar. Jar Jar was so annoying in large part because he's so prominent. If he were a run of the mill Gungans, he wouldn't be nearly as annoying.

This all brings me to the point about narrative structure. A big reason why I've grown a little tired of serialization in the streaming age is because everything seems to be so painfully drawn out. Even with shortened seasons because seemingly everything is treated as one long movie, the individual episodes feel like an exercise in putting off the payoff. Instead of building the episodes around solving an individual problem, they're often treading water until the final episode of the season. A big reason the seven Evil Dragons stand out is because almost each of them are given an episode of their own. Sometimes the best utilization of a character is for a VERY delimited purpose.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Poor shin got no respect.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Everyone not Goku.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm Everyone not Goku.
How?