Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 4 - DB Episodes 16-20

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball rewatch, week 4 - DB episodes 16-20

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm

While I'm glad that Roshi has different sides to him, I don't think that you can really leave the perverted aspect of the character out without sacrificing something. To me Roshi is incomplete without it, and Dragon Ball would be too.
There’s a huge line between getting his jollies off watching 80’s jazzercise videos and reading dirty magazined on his downtime and groping women without their consent or demanding sexual favors from underaged girls for gifts.

He can be “wise old martial arts mentor who is also a dirty old man” without being a sex offender.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:31 pm

But there are plenty of horny fictional characters that aren't sexual predators.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:53 pm

One thing I'm finally noticing about anime Roshi vs manga Roshi is that anime Roshi really does look like a sex offender whereas manga Roshi comes off like a dweeby thirteen year old who's just discovered jacking off. I don't know if I like one over the other but I think I finally understand why Super's Roshi crosses the line so so so many times.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:31 pm But there are plenty of horny fictional characters that aren't sexual predators.
Are you saying you think he *should* be a sexual predator because there aren't as many of those characters, or that he *shouldn't* because you can do it without that aspect?

I guess you can argue that it sets the character apart a bit from the rest and gives him some edge that he wouldn't have otherwise. It is like Toriyama to push the boundaries somewhat.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:30 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:30 pm I love that Goku's flyaround shows us loads of places they'll be going over the next couple of episodes in their training. :)
I love how it blatantly re-uses shots from the third episode, like the water skimming!

One facet that I feel was brought up in the Double Decker Camper episode was the use of times of day. The exact time of the day doesn't play into Dragon Ball's story all that much, so things like the early morning training, or the Muscle Tower climb lasting overnight, or the fight against Vegeta pushing into the evening, is pretty rare. Again I think it says a lot about Toriyama's storytelling that Namek is conveniently a planet without night-time so that he doesn't have to worry about what time it is if the story goes on for too long.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:30 pm I love the little preview of what the Tenkaichi Budoukai is like.
This little preview actually uses a unique piece of music that's the orchestral theme for the TB, as opposed to the "soundtrack" theme that most of us are more familiar with.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:30 pm Roshi: "Your objective is not to become Tenkaichi. Real life isn't that easy."
FYI Tenkaichi means "Greatest in the world" :P
Honestly, that's one thing I would say the dubs did better than the subs; every now and then, for god-knows-what-reason, the subs leave a term in Japanese that just makes certain lines incomprehensible (such as "Kami-sama" instead of "God"). And they'd really lose nothing by translating it; Funi's "Number-One Under The Sun World Martial Arts Tournament" is a bit excessive in length, but works quite nicely.
... Though you don't even need to translate "Tenkaichi Budoukai" really... Just changing this particular line to be something more like "Your objective is not to win the title of greatest martial artist in the world. Real life isn't that easy." would work.
Apologies to Clyde Mandelin and Steve Simmons, if either of you happen to be reading this -- you guys do great work.
I think you've actually combined two! Funimation has never called it something that long, they've always just used "The World Martial Arts Tournament". ViZ uses a different one, "The Strongest Under the Heavens". While the latter is more accurate, of the two I actually prefer WMAT because it feels more Official, in that FIFA World Cup kinda way, as opposed to something like "The King of the Iron Fist" from Tekken which makes it feel a little more unorganized as an event.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pmWhile I'm glad that Roshi has different sides to him, I don't think that you can really leave the perverted aspect of the character out without sacrificing something. To me Roshi is incomplete without it, and Dragon Ball would be too.
It's all part of the irony. Based on his archetype you expect Roshi to be this stoic, disciplined master figure. When we see him distracted by women, acting lecherous, or being scared off by Lunch's rougher side it flips all that on its head. Toriyama is a masterful professional troll.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:36 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:31 pm But there are plenty of horny fictional characters that aren't sexual predators.
Are you saying you think he *should* be a sexual predator because there aren't as many of those characters, or that he *shouldn't* because you can do it without that aspect?

I guess you can argue that it sets the character apart a bit from the rest and gives him some edge that he wouldn't have otherwise. It is like Toriyama to push the boundaries somewhat.
The latter. I see no benefit to making him a predator. It's not edgy. Edgy means you go up to the edge without falling off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pmWhile I'm glad that Roshi has different sides to him, I don't think that you can really leave the perverted aspect of the character out without sacrificing something. To me Roshi is incomplete without it, and Dragon Ball would be too.
It's all part of the irony. Based on his archetype you expect Roshi to be this stoic, disciplined master figure. When we see him distracted by women, acting lecherous, or being scared off by Lunch's rougher side it flips all that on its head. Toriyama is a masterful professional troll.
IMO there's no real benefit to Roshi's character by having him sexually assault Bulma and Launch consequence-free. Exercise videos and magazines, for me at least, are fine because he's not imposing on real people and in most cases it's in (assumed) privacy. Sexually assaulting other characters for me is corruptive to the sage advice he should be much more well-known for, and not in a "ha ha what comical genius" kind of way.

And there are numerous other examples of Roshi's master aura being comically broken, such as riding the spinning lizard thing or accidentally destroying the Ox-King's castle.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:50 pm

I guess some might say the benefit is that it takes the humor to the next level by giving Roshi that material. That's not to say that there aren't any costs that come with that kind of humor. And of course some might not find it funny.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:07 pm It was always the generic “World Martial Arts tournament” I kind of wish they would have gone with “Strongest under the Heavens” tournament.
Danfun64 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:11 pm IIRC Funi only called it the "World Martial Arts Tournament", nothing more.
Huh.
I was sure they called it the "Number One Under The Sun World Martial Arts Tournament" at some point.
Might've been one of the Budokai video games. Or maybe I'm thinking of a Blue Water script.

But I'm really sure Funi did call it that, at one time.
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:34 pm Before Roshi says this line, Kuririn tells Goku what the tournament is all about and the subtitles add in an explanation that "Tenkaichi" means "the best under the heavens". I don't see this as being a case of incomprehensible dialogue. Especially when the subtitles choose to refer to the tournament itself as the "Tenkaichi Tournament" in all future instances.

Leaving in untranslated Japanese terms can be a good way to retain the cultural underpinnings of the series, something that is lost when you try and translate every single thing. Unlike kamisama, many Japanese terms do not translate completely or exactly into English. Additionally, subbing and dubbing are two different things. I would probably expect to hear more translating within an English dub than I would reading the subs. Especially if a dub tends to be more localized than not.
Ah. Guess I must've missed the TL note. :lol:

But, no, I disagree about "retaining the cultural underpinnings of the series"; it doesn't give it anything other than a vague sense that yes, this thing that you're hearing in another language is, in fact, in another language. Any half-decent wordsmith with an understanding of the cultural background should be able to come up with a close enough adaptation to make the subtitles readable, even if a TL note explaining a cultural thing is needed.
"The goal isn't to become Tenkaichi [...]" doesn't add any mysticism or cultural... Anything. It's just gratuitous Japanese. It's exactly on the tier of "All according to keikaku!!"... Just say "The goal isn't to win the title" or something like that. It's not a case like the "Budo [note: budo means grapes]" pun, where you could only adapt it by making a significant localisation, something that many would rightfully argue is beyond the purview of subtitles (though I wouldn't, but I respect many would; it's clearly a matter of taste. Translation is an art, after all, not a science, that's why computers are so bad at it).

In this case, Tenkaichi is just an obtuse way of saying "The strongest in the world". In the dialogue, obviously he is alluding to the title of the event itself in saying that, but does it really detract from the "cultural underpinnings of the series" for him to either call it a translated title like "The Greatest Under The Heavens Tournament", or to just have him say "The goal is not to win the title"?
To me, it feels like the argument that Bulma's name shouldn't be Bulma, but that calling her "Bloomer" wouldn't be quite right either because in Japanese usage it refers to a kind of sportswear therefore her name should be "Buruma". It's just nonsense. It's an attitude of "If there's not a 100% exact, literal counterpart in English, just leave it in Japanese and don't explain it."

Gives me a strong sense of this being a translation from the early '00s (which, of course, it is), when certain "Accuracy at all costs!!" attitudes seem to have been a bit more prevalent to me, and there wasn't so much emphasis on making a translation feel natural in English (which, incidentally, is really the only criticism people have held against Simmons' subs in Dragon Ball in general, and one of the things people -- IIRC even Simmons himself? -- have cited as an improvement made to the subs in Kai over Z; certain things like "And that's what they call the weasel's last fart." were adapted rather than translated literally).

Again, no love lost for Mandelin and Simmons; I'm glad they gave us accurate subtitles for the shows, but for me, as I am now, a few decisions these two made have me scratching my head a little. Even you admit that "Kami-sama" was gratuitous and unnecessary.
KBABZ wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 am
IMO there's no real benefit to Roshi's character by having him sexually assault Bulma and Launch consequence-free. Exercise videos and magazines, for me at least, are fine because he's not imposing on real people and in most cases it's in (assumed) privacy. Sexually assaulting other characters for me is corruptive to the sage advice he should be much more well-known for, and not in a "ha ha what comical genius" kind of way.
:thumbup:

You can still have Roshi be a pervert without having him be a sex offender.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:14 am But, no, I disagree about "retaining the cultural underpinnings of the series"; it doesn't give it anything other than a vague sense that yes, this thing that you're hearing in another language is, in fact, in another language. Any half-decent wordsmith with an understanding of the cultural background should be able to come up with a close enough adaptation to make the subtitles readable, even if a TL note explaining a cultural thing is needed.
"The goal isn't to become Tenkaichi [...]" doesn't add any mysticism or cultural... Anything. It's just gratuitous Japanese.
Language is culture. There's nothing "gratuitous" about acknowledging that what you are watching is in fact a Japanese show born of Japanese and Chinese culture. If anything, it does the viewer a service by opening their minds to a language and culture outside of their own. There's the old, "if a kid feels the need to go and grab a dictionary, that's not a bad thing" idea where learning via art is greatly significant.
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:14 am To me, it feels like the argument that Bulma's name shouldn't be Bulma, but that calling her "Bloomer" wouldn't be quite right either because in Japanese usage it refers to a kind of sportswear therefore her name should be "Buruma". It's just nonsense. It's an attitude of "If there's not a 100% exact, literal counterpart in English, just leave it in Japanese and don't explain it."

Gives me a strong sense of this being a translation from the early '00s (which, of course, it is), when certain "Accuracy at all costs!!" attitudes seem to have been a bit more prevalent to me, and there wasn't so much emphasis on making a translation feel natural in English.
I'm not sure exactly why you felt the need to bring up my past comments on Buruma/Bulma's name here, only to reiterate how much you think that it's nonsense. I'm sure that I stated before that it was never about "accuracy at all costs", but instead how to best represent the character's name to the audience while respecting the source. If you don't understand my reasoning or simply disagree with it, then please just say so instead.

I really don't know what you mean by calling it a "translation from the early '00s". That's not something I remember with Bulma/Buruma. And I certainly don't remember "accuracy" as being a prevailing attitude in the early 2000s. If anything, the opposite.

Additionally, it is striking to me that you would say all this about Bulma when you seem so adamant in your usage of yamucha, which is clearly an approximation of the Chinese yam cha.
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:14 am Again, no love lost for Mandelin and Simmons; I'm glad they gave us accurate subtitles for the shows, but for me, as I am now, a few decisions these two made have me scratching my head a little.
Which is *exactly* why I argued previously that the official subtitles can and should be questioned by the audience, and not just be blindly accepted or assumed to be 100% accurate.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm Language is culture. There's nothing "gratuitous" about acknowledging that what you are watching is in fact a Japanese show born of Japanese and Chinese culture. If anything, it does the viewer a service by opening their minds to a language and culture outside of their own. There's the old, "if a kid feels the need to go and grab a dictionary, that's not a bad thing" idea where learning via art is greatly significant.
While I agree with this generally, leaving "The goal isn't to become Tenkaichi" un-translated feels silly.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm While I agree with this generally, leaving "The goal isn't to become Tenkaichi" un-translated feels silly.
I agree somewhat, but I think it works in this case because it's only within the context of that one introductory scene. It's right after the subtitles explain what "Tenkaichi" is, and doesn't carry on beyond that one instance as far as I know.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 pm

I coulda sworn the announcer in the dub said something like "who will be number one under the sun?" at some point during the 21st (probably the final match), but the tournament itself was still World Martial Arts Tournament. But that could just be the Mandela Effect playing tricks on me.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm Language is culture. There's nothing "gratuitous" about acknowledging that what you are watching is in fact a Japanese show born of Japanese and Chinese culture. If anything, it does the viewer a service by opening their minds to a language and culture outside of their own. There's the old, "if a kid feels the need to go and grab a dictionary, that's not a bad thing" idea where learning via art is greatly significant.
I do not understand you at all here. The show is in Japanese. The point of subtitles is that they explain what you're hearing in a readable manner, because you're watching a Japanese show in Japanese. Randomly deciding to just drop untranslated terminology into those subtitles works against the entire point of translating it, and doesn't help you further grasp that yes, the Japanese show that you are watching in Japanese is a Japanese show; I -- like most -- DON'T understand Japanese, I DON'T have a context for this stuff. Randomly deciding to not translate words for "Greatest under the heavens" or whatever else isn't giving me a context for the cultural underpinnings, it's just obfuscating the show I'm trying to watch by leaving it in a language I don't understand. It's all well and good to say that encouraging people to look stuff up is good, but making it impossible to understand what's going on in a given moment for the sake of that? That's not making the translation more faithful, that's making the subtitles shittier at doing their job.
To quote Tom Scott off the top of my head, "The job of subtitles is to work as a substitute for audio, to let you understand what's being said, and otherwise to get out of the way." Or more specifically to subtitles of foreign content, the subtitles are a substitute for speaking the language. The entire point is that you don't understand the language, so deliberately making it so you can't understand what they say without researching an aspect of the language is entirely counter to the reason subtitles exist.

And here's the thing: Language is not culture, and I'll be honest, I think that's an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Culture is culture. You could have an excellent understanding of a language and have no idea about the culture, just as you could be an expert on a culture with next to no understanding of the language. The language is just that, language. It's the form of communication used by a culture. Often cultures that are entirely different share a language, and cultures that are very similar have an entirely different language.

I think I have an idea of something you might be getting at, though; when you translate, you will undoubtedly have to either figure out a way to localise cultural references, or you'll have to leave them alone. But the thing is, this isn't exclusive to translation. When a British show is potentially to be imported to the USA, there'll be cultural differences that won't be understood. If a French show is imported to one of the many, many other countries in the world that primarily speaks French, there'll be cultural differences. Sometimes that'll make it impossible for the show to work in the given territory.
When you translate a work from another language, you have to deal with that. But inherently, you are rewriting the text of the show. So, most translators would opt to localise or explain cultural references where possible.
Goku calls Bulma a "Yokai" in episode 1 of DB, which Mandelin renders as "Goblin". Not an exact match, but a close enough equivalent. Similar for around episode 2 or 3 when Bulma asks turtle if he'll bring back a "Pandora's box" in the subtitles, whereas she says.. Something different in Japanese. It relates to a Japanese folk tale about a box given to someone by a turtle that they're not supposed to open, and then they open it and they die, or something.

You have to reconcile these cultural differences, yes. And it can be a difficult choice, but 9 times out of 10, there's a close enough equivalent that delivers the pun.
For instance... Bulma's name should be Bloomer, really. Her name is a pun on underwear, just like the rest of her family (Dr Brief, Trunks, Bra, Tights...), and while Japanese usage of the word isn't exactly the same as English, it renders the pun in a way English-speakers can understand. That's how translation works. It's not a science of exactly explaining every detail of what the original meaning was, it's a matter of finding equivalents for the likely intent of the original. Finding a close enough equivalent.
But here's the thing... Language and culture are two separate things. A translation has to deal with both things, and leaving something in its original language doesn't mean you've dealt with the cultural underpinnings, it just means you haven't rendered that element in a way understandable to an English-speaker. In my mind, that means the translation has failed there.

... But Tenkaichi is completely irrelevant to this, as is "Kami-sama". When Mandelin has the subs say "The goal is not to be Tenkaichi", once again, it's like "Just according to Keikaku!"
You're not maintaining a cultural underpinning, you're just refusing to translate a word, and there's not really any reason for that.
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm I'm not sure exactly why you felt the need to bring up my past comments on Buruma/Bulma's name here, only to reiterate how much you think that it's nonsense. I'm sure that I stated before that it was never about "accuracy at all costs", but instead how to best represent the character's name to the audience while respecting the source. If you don't understand my reasoning or simply disagree with it, then please just say so instead.
I'll be honest, I forgot that was you, but I still stand by "Buruma" being an utterly stupid suggestion.
I don't speak Japanese. I'm not intimately familiar with the intricacies of Japanese culture. Which makes me the same as most people watching the show. So, do you address that by localising something to an equivalent term ("Tenkaichi" > "Greatest Under The Heavens"), or do you just not translate at all, and let me just sit confused? ("Buruma", "Tenkaichi", "Keikaku") Or, do you do the weird half-measure that misses the point of both where you leave the untranslated term, but the first time it shows up, you add a little note explaining what it means... Which just raises the question of why one would bother leaving it untranslated... If there's a "cultural underpinning" that can't be understood by translating it, I don't see how leaving it untranslated fixes that, but clearly, if translating it ruins it, then explaining it in its first appearance also ruins it, however on the flip-side, if you have to understand it to understand dialogue after the first appearance, then surely you should just translate it so people can understand the dialogue (y'know... Because that's the point of subtitles -- they're there so people can understand the dialogue).
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm I really don't know what you mean by calling it a "translation from the early '00s". That's not something I remember with Bulma/Buruma. And I certainly don't remember "accuracy" as being a prevailing attitude in the early 2000s. If anything, the opposite.
Perhaps I should have been more clear; I meant it read like a stereotypical "iffy '00s fansub" with gratuitous Japanese everywhere.

It's understandable why this attitude happens sometimes; people have had to deal with shitty translations of works, particularly in the form of shitty dubbing, for so much anime, for so long. Even today, there's issues with groups like Funimation still inserting their own changes into the original work to an annoying extent.
But over-correcting for a problem doesn't fix it. In this case, it just makes it worse. Creates an artificial rift between the shitty translation that's readable and understandable in English, and the shitty subtitles that are "accurate".
In Dragon Ball, this isn't so much an issue, but the subs have their moments; "That's what we call the weasel's last fart", "The goal is not to be Tenkaichi, life isn't always that easy", "The man training Goku is Kami-sama", etc.
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm Additionally, it is striking to me that you would say all this about Bulma when you seem so adamant in your usage of yamucha, which is clearly an approximation of the Chinese yam cha.
A fine example of whataboutism if I've ever seen one. And quite an easy one to counter, but doing so would arguably just play into the role of whataboutism in today's discourse, so I'm afraid I will not be responding to this properly myself; I'll just say this: Read Herms' name guide, there is an explanation of sorts there, and I generally follow Simmons' & Mandelin's naming conventions, with exceptions where I see fit.
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm Which is *exactly* why I argued previously that the official subtitles can and should be questioned by the audience, and not just be blindly accepted or assumed to be 100% accurate.
Yes, and I agree with you.
I never said anything against that here.

If I did in the past, then let it be known at this point that I was wrong in the past, and have come to know better.

But, as I noted above, generally I follow Simmons' and Mandelin's conventions. They're clever chaps who did a good job, and generally their translations are faithful but understandable in English. But there are adaptational choices they made that I disagree with. And I mean... It's not like I'm a newbie who has to wade through this to understand anything... I know Dragon Ball pretty well, and I generally have an idea of what most translations tend to call a given character, and Herms' name guide is out there for stuff I don't know, so if I don't like a particular name, there's no reason I can't come up with my own way of saying it that I prefer -- for instance, I don't think "Gurumes" is a good way of adapting the name of the villain from the first DB movie; a friend of mine came up with an alternative, Gourmeth, which sort of splits the difference between romanising and relating itself to the pun on the English word "Gourmet", so that's the term I use now (and I think a few other people have come up with it independently too). It's just a TV show, ultimately, and these names are in Japanese, whereas we're communicating in English, so... As long as I'm understood, it doesn't matter what I actually call something, or how I actually describe it.

To put it another way: The language I use is irrelevant, because the point being made by that language is what's important.
This is a philosophy of mine that a lot of people don't seem to understand, and I think it's the source of a lot of frustrations I get in discussions online.

And this philosophy of mine extends to how subtitles should render ideas from other languages and cultures; the point is to get the meaning across, not to have an exact word-for-word reproduction of the original in another language.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Subtitles are there so the audience can understand the story and characters from another language. You don't do that by leaving words the audience doesn't understand untranslated, unless the story has sufficient context for that one word that it explains itself. IMO Tenkaichi doesn't fall into that because the story doesn't happen to be constructed such that Roshi adequately explains what that word means, directly or indirectly.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Leaving words untranslated can help if you're trying to challenge the audience and make them confront a foreign idea with no defnitive translation (for example, retellings of Greek epics that keep words like arete untranslated) but that doesn't sound like the kinda thing you should try to do in a cartoon for 11 year olds. Besides, the term tenkaichi itself doesn't seem to have any real in story or out of story significance. Besides the ending of the 23rd Budokai (where Goku is literally recognized by the Earth's god as being the greatest warrior under the heavens) the term tenkaichi can be subed out for "world champion" and nothing is actually lost in the translation.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:07 pm

The job of a translator isn't to challenge the audience. It's not the audience's job to do the translator's job for them.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am Randomly deciding to not translate words for "Greatest under the heavens" or whatever else isn't giving me a context for the cultural underpinnings, it's just obfuscating the show I'm trying to watch by leaving it in a language I don't understand.
Except there's nothing "random" about any of it. From what I can understand, if a translator decides to leave something untranslated, it is probably either because they think that term is something that cannot be reasonably translated into English (or whichever language), or because they think that the cultural significance of the term outweighs any possible translation. And yes, that is cultural significance, because language is an undeniable aspect of culture. They are not two separate things.
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am You could have an excellent understanding of a language and have no idea about the culture, just as you could be an expert on a culture with next to no understanding of the language. The language is just that, language. It's the form of communication used by a culture. Often cultures that are entirely different share a language, and cultures that are very similar have an entirely different language.
Someone cannot be an "expert" on a culture without having some understanding of the language, and vice versa. Even if someone does not realize it, they are learning things from both. Obviously there are cultures that are dissimilar that share the same language. But how does any of this apply to Japan and Japanese culture?
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am For instance... Bulma's name should be Bloomer, really. Her name is a pun on underwear, just like the rest of her family (Dr Brief, Trunks, Bra, Tights...), and while Japanese usage of the word isn't exactly the same as English, it renders the pun in a way English-speakers can understand. That's how translation works. It's not a science of exactly explaining every detail of what the original meaning was, it's a matter of finding equivalents for the likely intent of the original. Finding a close enough equivalent.
"Bloomer" is only one argument for Buruma/Bulma's name among others, so I don't think you can claim so decisively that it is what her name should really be. I disagree that "Bloomer(s)" is something that English speakers can understand/is a "close enough equivalent", but I have already discussed this previously so I won't get into that in this thread.
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am So, do you address that by localising something to an equivalent term ("Tenkaichi" > "Greatest Under The Heavens"), or do you just not translate at all, and let me just sit confused? ("Buruma", "Tenkaichi", "Keikaku").
You are making some false equivalences here with these different words. "Buruma", a character's name, "Tenkaichi", an expression and event title, "keikaku", the Japanese word for "plan"... These are all different types that a translator would approach differently, and decide how to translate or not based on any particular context.
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm Additionally, it is striking to me that you would say all this about Bulma when you seem so adamant in your usage of yamucha, which is clearly an approximation of the Chinese yam cha.
A fine example of whataboutism if I've ever seen one. And quite an easy one to counter, but doing so would arguably just play into the role of whataboutism in today's discourse, so I'm afraid I will not be responding to this properly myself; I'll just say this: Read Herms' name guide, there is an explanation of sorts there, and I generally follow Simmons' & Mandelin's naming conventions, with exceptions where I see fit.
You are wrong in your assertions of "whataboutism", and I have no clue why you would even attempt to make such a claim. It is something recent that I was reminded of and thought to include. Furthermore, I have been long aware of what is included in Herms' name guide, and no, there is no explanation to be found. Not that one doesn't exist somewhere, possibly. To be honest, based on this and your previous comments on this subject, I strongly suspect that you are unable to provide an explanation yourself.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:02 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:05 am

And there are numerous other examples of Roshi's master aura being comically broken, such as riding the spinning lizard thing or accidentally destroying the Ox-King's castle.
Fair.

You could argue that Roshi's perverted antics do overstay their welcome, and it was taken a bit too far with how he acted around Lunch while she was sleeping.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: