Dragon Box and 30th Anniversary in Plex

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Box and 30th Anniversary in Plex

Post by Jon Jon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

First off, long time no see! It has been a long time.

I hope everyone is doing well :).

I am currently on a mission to make my Dragon Ball content playable in Plex.

I just finished backing up my 30th Anniversary Collection, but I want both my Dragon Boxes and 30th Anniversary Collections watchable in Plex. It seems that, due to the limitations of the database management, it is not easy to have multiple variants of the same show in Plex.

Has anyone else attempted this and come up with a good solution?

Please let me know, and thank you!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Box and 30th Anniversary in Plex

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 pm

I've only heard about Plex just now, but it's not possible to go with, say, "Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Boxes" and "Dragon Ball Z - 30th" in some fashion?

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 pm I've only heard about Plex just now, but it's not possible to go with, say, "Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Boxes" and "Dragon Ball Z - 30th" in some fashion?
To my knowledge, not easily.

Plex references online databases for the meta data for your media to give it that "Netflix" kind of feel for your content. The databases I have seen really only reference one for Dragon Ball Z, and that is for the english episode titles and seasons.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:04 am

Jon Jon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 pm I've only heard about Plex just now, but it's not possible to go with, say, "Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Boxes" and "Dragon Ball Z - 30th" in some fashion?

Plex references online databases for the meta data for your media to give it that "Netflix" kind of feel for your content. The databases I have seen really only reference one for Dragon Ball Z, and that is for the english episode titles and seasons.
There's no way to manually adjust the metadata yourself?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:45 am

Do the episode titles for DBZ reflect uncut or cut numbering?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:52 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:04 am
Jon Jon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 pm

There's no way to manually adjust the metadata yourself?
There is. I think what you're suggesting can be done, it's just going to be a bit of work for OP to get the content to match with the online TVDB for the episode titles/summaries, and then manually adjust the show title.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:30 pm

plex always pees itself whenever i use it lmao, and it's kinda notoriously crappy for anime (especially if their longer then 100 eps and not separated by seasons), but you should be able to do it, you'd just need to do it manually and mess around with the title of the files themselves. same with episode titles, it's pretty annoying but not impossible.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Somewhere I actually have some knowledge as I have multiple the dubs on Plex (Faulconer, Dragon Box, and Ocean Dub).

Yeah, it's a pain to host them seperately but it is possible. I currently have each one in distinct folders while avoiding naming them "Dragon Ball Z" except the one I want as the default. So for the Ocean Dub, I have the series folder named "Ocean Dub" and rename the series in Plex as "Dragon Ball Z: Ocean Dub." This doesn't have the proper meta-data, but you can find posters for it over on reddit's PlexPoster subreddit.

For the Dragon Boxes, you actually can get the meta-data by naming it "Dragon Box Z," properly dividing it into the 7 sets, and setting your TV library agent to The Movie Database as they actually have the set separate from the main series.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 pm Somewhere I actually have some knowledge as I have multiple the dubs on Plex (Faulconer, Dragon Box, and Ocean Dub).

Yeah, it's a pain to host them seperately but it is possible. I currently have each one in distinct folders while avoiding naming them "Dragon Ball Z" except the one I want as the default. So for the Ocean Dub, I have the series folder named "Ocean Dub" and rename the series in Plex as "Dragon Ball Z: Ocean Dub." This doesn't have the proper meta-data, but you can find posters for it over on reddit's PlexPoster subreddit.

For the Dragon Boxes, you actually can get the meta-data by naming it "Dragon Box Z," properly dividing it into the 7 sets, and setting your TV library agent to The Movie Database as they actually have the set separate from the main series.
I will give this a try and report back!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:50 pm

So, I was unable to get this done :(.

It may be a bit advanced for me!

I continue to poke around and think about how I can do this.

I am also with free time trying to get these 30th Anniversary episodes to default to the Bruce Faulconer track (really, that's why I wanted this set. Now I have a perfect Japanese and a near perfect english release of the show).

THAT has been a bit rough trying to figure out how to automate updating the flags in each episode to default to the proper audio track.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:58 am

Check out the free tool MKVToolNix. You drag a file into the program and it lays out all of the streams inside it (video stream, audio streams ((tracks)), subtitle streams, chapter set, etc.) You can select an audio track and tell it you want it set to default. You can also outright remove streams if you so choose. Then it makes the changes on a separate copy of the file, without any re-encoding. You can even set it up batch commands so it takes all files in a directory and performs the same operation to each and places the resultant files in a folder.

Hit me up if you have any questions on it! It's a terrific tool I've used MANY times.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

dubbxyz

Post by dubbxyz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:56 am

You may want to try adding a separate channel library for plex to pull from. I have the default Movie and TV channel on the left, in addition have added a few others including Anime, Sports and of course a specific Dragon Ball channel, being the dedicated fan and media junkie I am!

With these separate channel libraries you can tell them to grab your media from specific directories. I haven’t directly tried it with two of the same titles with intention, however I know I had my Dragon Ball pulling from my tv channel, up until I had encoded my DVDs and organized it into the dedicated Dragon Ball folder on my computers hard drive, then pulling into my Dragon Ball channel.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Jon Jon wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:50 pm So, I was unable to get this done :(.

It may be a bit advanced for me!

I continue to poke around and think about how I can do this.

I am also with free time trying to get these 30th Anniversary episodes to default to the Bruce Faulconer track (really, that's why I wanted this set. Now I have a perfect Japanese and a near perfect english release of the show).

THAT has been a bit rough trying to figure out how to automate updating the flags in each episode to default to the proper audio track.
I'm sorry it didn't work. I'm not sure why as having the directory folders named something other than "Dragon Ball Z" or "DBZ" should keep them content ID matching with Dragon Ball Z (which is why they stack on top of one another). What does your directory naming look like anyway?

That said, theMovieDB seems to have taken the Dragon Box Z collection down, so you won't be able to find metadata for any alternate cuts of DBZ, only the default one.

You can't chose the default language track for individual shows, you can only change the global language settings which will automatically choose the track for whatever language you picked. To get around this, when I ripped my blurays with makeMKV, I deselected the 1st and 3rd audio tracks and only ripped the 2nd. This way I have a set of the series that only has the Faulconer tracks on it.

el_santo_eterno

Post by el_santo_eterno » Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 pm

I had added the Dragon Box collection to themoviedb.org, I even got the series into my plex correctly, but they pulled it down after a day or two, stating that it was a duplicate of DBZ ...If you've got the will to re-add the series, do so, but let us know so we can dd it int our plex. I don't wan to put in the hours it took again, sorry.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 am

Put them in 2 different libraries. I've got my rock the dragon collection in one and my dragon box remux in another. they both work fine and both pull up fine. I've done the same for japanese sailormoon and dic sailor moon.

maybe an hd anime library and an sd one would work for you?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

*Raises hand in anticipation of showing how much lack of knowledge I actually have*

So... Plex takes your library... and makes it streamable like Netflix? In the same way that Apple Music and Spotify can take your local library and make it so that it matches the other streaming songs you have? Hm... This could be very, very useful...

*Puts hand down to plot*

el_santo_eterno

Post by el_santo_eterno » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm *Raises hand in anticipation of showing how much lack of knowledge I actually have*

So... Plex takes your library... and makes it streamable like Netflix? In the same way that Apple Music and Spotify can take your local library and make it so that it matches the other streaming songs you have? Hm... This could be very, very useful...

*Puts hand down to plot*
Yes!