If we get another home release, it needs to be in 4K "UHD"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Re: If we get another home release, it needs to be in 4K "UHD"

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 am

what's the point on a 4K UHD upscale of the same shit? does people didn't have made enough "damage" to the dragon ball franchise by buying each season set and 30th set? now they want an ugly UHD 4k version?

dragon ball fandom is really full of stupid people

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 am what's the point on a 4K UHD upscale of the same shit? does people didn't have made enough "damage" to the dragon ball franchise by buying each season set and 30th set? now they want an ugly UHD 4k version?

...did you just insult every user on the forum??

Asking about the merits of a 4K release of the series isn't a reprehensible act, and while I disagree with the OP on both the benefits of 4K Dragon Ball and its likelihood, it's an interesting topic to discuss nonetheless.

---

That does get me thinking though: what are the odds that Super will be released in 4K, either the old show or the post-Broly episodes? Was Broly made in 4K?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 am ...did you just insult every user on the forum??
here what i have said
i'll begin by fandom is not "the forum" , i know lot of people that don't want to join this forum cause of the low level discussions (so the forum can't be called the fandom) the more interesting things about db aren't in this forum for sure.

being full of stupid people don't mean ALL people from the fandom are stupid but that there is a very LARGE part and it's something more and more visible .

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:39 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 am what's the point on a 4K UHD upscale of the same shit? does people didn't have made enough "damage" to the dragon ball franchise by buying each season set and 30th set? now they want an ugly UHD 4k version?

This has never, at any point, been about the fandom. It's about the average consumer, who isn't educated on any of this, and will just buy whatever's on store shelves, with the flashiest features on it, so they can show off their HDTV or UHDTV or whatever.

The fans aren't behind what Funi are doing, and the fans aren't going to be behind whatever shitty version Funi put out next.

And probably if the average consumer was aware of how shitty Funi's releases are, they'd either just pirate it, or buy like the Orange Bricks for like a quarter of what they'd pay for the not-actually-any-better follow-up releases.
KBABZ wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 am That does get me thinking though: what are the odds that Super will be released in 4K, either the old show or the post-Broly episodes? Was Broly made in 4K?
Super wasn't even animated at 1080p (at least, not to my knowledge; pretty sure it was only animated at about 900p). And there aren't any post-Broly episodes. :P

Broly itself... Probably only 1080p, I'm guessing.

But, I'm also going to predict that when Funi inevitably do a shitty UHD upscale of DBZ, they'll also do Super. And if Super does have a post-Broly run, probably they'll eventually upscale that too, even though a post-Broly Super series would probably only be animated at either 900p or 1080p.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:39 am This has never, at any point, been about the fandom. It's about the average consumer, who isn't educated on any of this, and will just buy whatever's on store shelves, with the flashiest features on it, so they can show off their HDTV or UHDTV or whatever.

The fans aren't behind what Funi are doing, and the fans aren't going to be behind whatever shitty version Funi put out next.

And probably if the average consumer was aware of how shitty Funi's releases are, they'd either just pirate it, or buy like the Orange Bricks for like a quarter of what they'd pay for the not-actually-any-better follow-up releases.
i didn't say that it was also restrict to the fandom, mankind itself is full of stupid people, but not all fandom are equal about stupidity.

HS beginning
it's like the broadcast audios battle. Where most others fandom would have simply shared the stuffs when availlable (cf star wars people that shared their 35mm copy without any kind of hesitation), here we have people that played gollum with the audios (more funny things is that they aren't even the original owner of them, or that lend others recordings but don't even gave them back and don't give the counterpart to others (so stolen to the source) but cry about leak and beg as "archivist" (archive something is not making something availlable for ourself only...) to people sharing stuffs with him. it remind me the dragon quest remaster that some fucking japanese people was trying to keep for themselves and that now should cry because it's availlable for everyone :D . HDD can die, server can also crash, house can burn , the only way to preserve something it's sharing it ( at least if you are not a selfish bastard) ...end of HS

Average custumer just totally don't care about what you gave them front of their eyes. Worst, if it wasn't like that i am sure that some people would already have removed grain and apply DNR themselves.

Since the digital fansub beginning i see people using DNR, there's allways the need to "clean" the source so of course if you show them a grainy bluray and a DNRed one, they'll choose the DNRed one.

it's not an educationnal matter, i am pretty sure that most of thoses that buy thoses ugly stuffs are pretty aware about the destructive things BUT it's fine for them, it look brand new on their HD screen so they are happy with it.
I remember when Saint Seiya DVD came in france around 2008-2009 it was grainy and people complained a lot about the grain, now the bluray are DNRed, they are happy

Yes grain is part of the footage but people can't even say except the grain, what was removed by DNR or don't care. Like i said and i wait for someone shutting my mouth on that thing, i can say 100% Dragon Ball series will NEVER get any valuable remaster (at least except if Toei close their door and that licence isn't brought by another company)

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Ideally id love that. iirc 16mm tops out at just under 4k worth of detail. So a full 4k release of db-gt would be the end all be all if done properly

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:36 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 am
Yes, given the choice between a grainy vs DNR'd master, most people choose the DNR'd master, because most people aren't educated on this stuff, and will just choose whichever looks superficially cleaner/more modern. Because they don't know better. Ask most people to pick a speaker, and probably a lot of people will just pick one with a strong bass, rather than one of great clarity and even range. But the thing is, given just "a HD master", people will just take it. And given several, they'll just pick whichever is either cheapest, to get the thing affordanbly, or most recent, to get the flashiest thing to show off their HDTV/UHDTV.

Again, it's not a matter of "people are stupid", it's that people just aren't educated on what a good remaster should look like, and ultimately, they don't give a shit about grain. They don't care. They just want to watch the show. That's all.

Yes, some people sometimes will complain that something looks too grainy, a minority of idiots who don't matter, just like the minority who've been complaining about "superhero fatigue" the past five or six years. Companies don't listen to these people. Either they decide to do it right, work with professionals who know what they're talking about, and put out a good remaster, as a way to properly respect the show and put out a great presentation... Or they cheap out and do it crappily. Not to please a handful of internet complainers, but to chase cheaper remastering, thus greater profit. Obviously, they'll try to spin it and say "in the past, we've seen DNR'd releases do well, so we have elected to do that for this presentation" or some other utter shite to try and justify it, but it's all just marketing lies.

Of course some companies are just crazy and don't follow these two exactly. The guys at Funi seem to either think the DNR does improve the picture, making them in the minority of utter idiots, or they're doing crappy releases deliberately to continually milk DBZ by re-re-re-releasing it every few years with a marginal, token improvement over last time, thus only having to spend the money to properly remaster the show once, but being able to re-re-re-re-re-re-resell the show for years upon years. Personally, I think it's a little of column A, a little of column B.

And of course, it works. Because people just want to buy that show they remember from way back when, and they assume the company that owns a property like Dragon Ball, who would remaster a show like that, would do a good job, and so they just go in assuming it's good. And to their untrained eyes, they miss all the issues, just like how most people just watch the Star Wars special editions and don't care that it's got all the shitty CG and awful other changes that make the films worse, they just enjoy this familiar thing.
Most people don't care about grain, most people don't care about the intricacies of colour, they just want to go watch the show, they'd like to watch it in HD, and because they're not educated about all this stuff, they'll just pick up either the cheapest release, or the latest, flashiest release.
We hardcore fans know better, but the mass market does not. Remember, the mass market generally has shown an apathy for OG Dragon Ball. That's not a case of the fans not liking OG Dragon Ball; Funimation firmly posited OG Dragon Ball as the disposable, unimportant, lesser comedy prequel to that good ol' show Dragon Ball Z. So the mass market just doesn't know/care. We hardcore fans know better, the mass market does not. Because they don't know the whole history of Funi's constant screwups (and possible/probable partial sabotage), so they just assume their understanding that the show they didn't watch and never looked interesting from the marketing, isn't worth watching.
People in general aren't educated on all these very specific, unnecessary details we know. They have a lot on their plate in the modern day, and just want to escape from that and watch this show they used to watch in their childhood, and hey look, the "Season" DVDs of it are on sale for really cheap, so they can just pick that up and enjoy this thing they remember enjoying way back... They don't know that it shouldn't be croppd like this, they don't know that it shouldn't be graded like this, they don't know that it shouldn't be this blurry, and they don't really care.

This was never a problem with the fans.
And this will never be a problem with the fans.

This has always been, and will always be, a problem with Funimation and Toei.
The fans did not fail Dragon Ball.
Funimation and and Toei failed Dragon Ball; and they failed us. And they continue to. Constantly. Ajay's video on the shitty 30th anniversary sets got half a million views, 13000 likes, and only 725 dislikes. People who know and/or care about Dragon Ball are not happy with Funimation and Toei constantly, deliberately, willfully ignoring what the fans actually want.
The fans are not the problem.
The fans are actually the solution.
We'll never get good high-def masters, but the Dragon Box masters exist out there, and the broadcast audio does too, for the most part.
Standard def is obviously not ideal, but plenty of shows will never be released in HD. Maybe we can all just pretend that's the situation with Dragon Ball too, and just enjoy the good-enough Dragon Box video masters, and fondly regard what could have been when we watch the rather nice movie remasters.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatGoku

Post by FatGoku » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm

It is not a matter of how stupid they are, its a matter of the casual consumers who just get the cheapest option.

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:57 pm

You might wanna get your incoherent grammar structure in check before you go around calling anybody stupid. And who the hell said anything about wanting an "ugly" set, the only reason I'm clamoring for a future release is so we can get something good, and the only reason I'm talking about 4K is because I don't see how they'll release the show in any other way since we already have multiple DVDs and 1080p blu rays.
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Arteaga4K wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:57 pm
You might wanna get your incoherent grammar structure in check before you go around calling anybody stupid.
Don't jump down people's throats about their grammar. It's not constructive, it's just mean, especially when English isn't someone's native tongue.
Arteaga4K wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:57 pm And who the hell said anything about wanting an "ugly" set, the only reason I'm clamoring for a future release is so we can get something good, and the only reason I'm talking about 4K is because I don't see how they'll release the show in any other way since we already have multiple DVDs and 1080p blu rays.
The problem is, there's zero reason to believe any future release would be any better than the ugly shit we've had so far. A new 4K release done in the next few years would be just as bad as all the other mass-market releases we've seen of Z, that's just a fact of how Funimation handle Dragon Ball.

And who says 4K is the only way a good release could happen?
The 30th sets' marketed pitch would have been a great way to do an actually good release without having to market yet another release to the mass audience.
Ultimately, Funi have the Level-quality HD remasters in the vaults, so they could do it properly at any time for just the cost of disc authoring and marketing. They could, of course, put out a set marketed kinda like the 30th sets as being the ultimate thing for hardcore fans, but sell it at a low pricepoint, and keep it on sale basically forever, thus giving casual fans a super cheap release to pick up that's actually good.

There's a billion different ways Funimation could do things properly if they wanted to, they just don't want to.
And Toei don't care to remaster this many episodes in HD. They would do it properly if they wanted to (as we saw with the movies and specials remastered recently), but they don't want to. And if, by some miracle, they ended up wanting to, they would only do it at 1080p.

A 4K release, at this point, could only ever be a shitty upscale release from Funimation, probably even worse than the Season BDs.

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm
You might wanna get your incoherent grammar structure in check before you go around calling anybody stupid.
Don't jump down people's throats about their grammar. It's not constructive, it's just mean, especially when English isn't someone's native tongue.
My retort was in the heat of the moment, I apologize for it, even though I still think his last sentence was just as unnecessary
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm

You might wanna get your incoherent grammar structure in check before you go around calling anybody stupid. And who the hell said anything about wanting an "ugly" set, the only reason I'm clamoring for a future release is so we can get something good, and the only reason I'm talking about 4K is because I don't see how they'll release the show in any other way since we already have multiple DVDs and 1080p blu rays.
16mm films won't really improve into 4k so a 4k scan is a waste i think that before wanting a 4k release, people should reverse the power situation before everything

@robo4900:
you don't get what i point:
take two situations:

company A want to release DNRed version of a show. After some sample given to fans, they massively reject the release and show no interest buying it if the show is not properly remastered, if company want to make money, they'll have to do it properly

company B want to release DNRed version of a show. After some sample only nerds reject it but others are calling it wonderfull, preorder the box and are happy with it. Company keep doing the crap and make lot of money like that

i called people stupid cause it's the same things as buying a cheap phone the same amount than an iphone.
They are not educated? maybe but i seriously feel that they just take whatever you gave them, like sheep.
In this society people have power but they don't use them.

Back in TIme company was creating nice product to please custumers, the power was into custumers hand. Nowadays it's the opposite, custumers just take what you give them. So yes like for everything, if you just take what people give you, you are an idiot, that's how i feel

it's the same things as politics nowadays, they try to make you thinking that you have power but everythings is done to make you vote like they want you to do.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:51 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm company A want to release DNRed version of a show. After some sample given to fans, they massively reject the release and show no interest buying it if the show is not properly remastered, if company want to make money, they'll have to do it properly

company B want to release DNRed version of a show. After some sample only nerds reject it but others are calling it wonderfull, preorder the box and are happy with it. Company keep doing the crap and make lot of money like that
This analogy doesn't work. We didn't get a non-DNR'd release other than the Levels, released after the casual fans had already bought the Season DVDs and were in process of buying Kai, and after the hardcore fans had already bought the singles, and the UUEs, and the Dragon Boxes, and were in the process of buying Kai.
And the Levels were deliberately overpriced.
And there's no indication that the Levels didn't sell well regardless; they never actually gave a reason.
And we know for certain that the Level remastering wasn't prohibitively expensive, because we know they carried out the exact same cleanup job on the exact same footage for the Season BDs immediately after, but for the Season BD release, they put those cleaned-up Level-esque masters through a shitty DNR+sharpen+crop process. But they still painted out all the damage and tape marks before that. They still carried out a Level-style remaster. But the Season BDs were released super-cheap, despite using those masters.

This isn't Funi just chasing what's popular, this is Funi chasing what will let them repeatedly sell the show to us over and over again, dangling a proper release in our faces but not carrying it out even when they have the ability.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm i called people stupid cause it's the same things as buying a cheap phone the same amount than an iphone.
They are not educated? maybe but i seriously feel that they just take whatever you gave them, like sheep.
In this society people have power but they don't use them.
You're right and you're wrong.
People will take what they're given. Because why wouldn't they? There's an inherent assumption that a "remastered" release of a landmark show like this would be done properly, and if you're not educated, it looks bright and fits your TV. It's blurry, but maybe it always looked like that and you didn't notice it on your shitty CRT TV when you were a kid.

As for having power but not using it... People have done their best to fight against this, and it doesn't work. There was a huge backlash against the OBs, and the Season BDs, and the 30th anniversary sets. Funi just do not care what people actually want.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm Back in TIme company was creating nice product to please custumers, the power was into custumers hand. Nowadays it's the opposite, custumers just take what you give them. So yes like for everything, if you just take what people give you, you are an idiot, that's how i feel

it's the same things as politics nowadays, they try to make you thinking that you have power but everythings is done to make you vote like they want you to do.
That may be how you feel, but that's not the factual reality of the situation. Companies have been exploiting customers' ignorance for as long as there have been companies and customers, and politicians have been lying to people to get what they selfishly want as long as there have been politicians and people.
And it doesn't work because people are stupid, because people aren't stupid, people are of average intelligence, it works because they're just not experts on what grain is, how celluloid film works, or why aspect ratios matter. Because none of that really should matter to the average person. Similarly, people didn't know that Betamax was a superior format, they just knew that VHS was cheaper and more available both in terms of machines and tape rentals.
And people were taken in by Ronald Ragen, Richard Nixon, and Adolf Hitler because these politicians told convenient lies that sounded believable, and were spoken with great charisma.

Show me a man who's never been taken in by a convenient lie told by someone charismatic talking about something he knows nothing about, and I'll show you a man who grew up isolated from humanity. It happens to us all. Constantly. And often, we don't even realise we've been lied to until it's far too late, if we ever realise we've been lied to. Sometimes it's something small like an old TV show getting a shitty DVD, sometimes it's someone dangerous being elected into office and thus given a powerful position on the world stage.
There's a reason "Politicians are all liars" is a hackneyed truthful joke that dates back to some of the earliest recorded comedy. It's always happened.

It's easy to think we're somehow stuck in a rut of humanity going to shit, but realistically, we're not any worse off now than we have ever been. In fact, we're better off than ever. The internet is the most efficient tool to distribute lies, but only because it's the most efficient tool to dispense information. Whether that information is true or not is not always easy to determine for some. But while there's more lies in the world, there's equally more truth being spread. You and I are talking from different countries, sharing information I imagine neither of us would ever have without the internet. If we were living in the '60s, I wouldn't know anything about America. I'd have a vague sense of the name and look of their president, maybe. I'd know what New York looks like, and what the wild west is, from some of their movies. But would I actually know any Americans? Would I know any American history? Hell no.
And... Would either of us know anything about what grain is? Would any of us here know how to recognise when a process has been put into force to remove the grain, thus destroy the picture on a film? No.

Realistically, we're way better off now. While the politicians still lie, and a lot of people still believe them, we're more able than ever to find out what they lied about, and what their lie might say about them.
And things are most certainly changing. While corrupt politicians are getting into power, you have to remember that the systems that got them there are fundamentally unfair; under the British system, the current party in power got there with about 30% of the vote, giving them 100% of the power. Under the American system, very deliberately, the will of the people is ignored in favour of what the founding fathers believed was the best way; Donald Trump had fewer votes than Hillary Clinton, but by the Electoral College system, he won.
In the UK, things are difficult, because a change in voting system was already tried, but the politicians lied and turned people against it. In the USA however, only a few more states have to sign this one agreement... An agreement which would nullify the electoral college, and guarantee the popular vote determines the president.

We live in an age better than any previous age. Gay people, trans people, women, black people, and every other minority are more accepted in today's society than they ever have been. That's big, positive social change. As late as 2000, in the UK, it was illegal to "Promote a homosexual lifestyle", which basically meant that any teacher, public figure, or any other person of any influence at all was not allowed to say it's okay to be gay. (Look up "Section 28")
In the USA, black people were constantly lynched on the streets in the early 20th century. Their first black president finished serving his term in 2016.
And things are going to continue getting better. But obviously, we still have a very, very, very long way to go. But we'll get there, buddy. We'll get there. And as insignificant as a company selling a shitty release of a TV show may seem to some, it is certainly part of this; a company is lying to people, milking cash out of these lies, and that's wrong. And it might take a very long time, but one day, we'll see the other side of that. Just don't lose hope, man. We'll get there.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Now, the real blockbusters like Avengers Endgames, Star Wars etc have gotten a physical 4k-release, but there are very few anime titles to date that received one. Even Broly was standard blu-ray.
It's true 4K hasn't become the norm yet. But also ... physical media are slowly dying. There aren't an awful lot of 4K blu-ray releases, because more and more people shift over to streaming and downloading stuff.
Samsung even doesn't bother anymore making new 4k blu-ray players. Disney tends to limit its physical releases and offers a lot by streaming.
DB will be available in 4k and maybe 8k (you only will see the difference between 4k and 8k if you sit a few inches away from your screen ) at some point in time, but it could be streaming only.
If we get the release, as the last blu-ray was already that pricy, it will be something for the more wealthy amongst us.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm But also ... physical media are slowly dying.
it REALLY isnt. Its shrinking yes, but no where near dying. its still healthier than laserdisc was in japan, and laserdisc was very much profitable there. I cant see it even doing that in the next 20 years if studios actually are serious about pushing 8k+. 4k streaming tops out at 18ish mbit for everything but disney+ and 28mbit for disney+. 4k blurays start at about 55mbit and go to around 110. Plus lossless sound instead of sound thats on par with a mid range mp3 that streaming has. yeah physical is shrinking, but those of us who care about audio or video quality arent just going away, we'll keep buying. Which it becoming a more niche market would do it some good. let physical releases keep grain instead of giving it the wax treatment for the idiot masses, keep the original sound track instead of a failure upmix. Not to mention they cant take physical items away with a license change, my ripped discs will stay on my media server.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:01 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm But also ... physical media are slowly dying.
it REALLY isnt. Its shrinking yes, but no where near dying. its still healthier than laserdisc was in japan, and laserdisc was very much profitable there. I cant see it even doing that in the next 20 years if studios actually are serious about pushing 8k+. 4k streaming tops out at 18ish mbit for everything but disney+ and 28mbit for disney+. 4k blurays start at about 55mbit and go to around 110. Plus lossless sound instead of sound thats on par with a mid range mp3 that streaming has. yeah physical is shrinking, but those of us who care about audio or video quality arent just going away, we'll keep buying. Which it becoming a more niche market would do it some good. let physical releases keep grain instead of giving it the wax treatment for the idiot masses, keep the original sound track instead of a failure upmix. Not to mention they cant take physical items away with a license change, my ripped discs will stay on my media server.

It could stay a bit longer than a couple of years, yes, but i think your argumenting is mainly based on wishful thinking here.
People put practically above utter quality. The market follows the rules of demand.

It is shrinking so basically dying if the tendency as such continues, which i do believe. It's a useless trade that doesn't make any sense both economically/practically and ecologically for the generations that follow us.
Our generation has a need to have phyiscal copies of everything, for the generations after us, it's no longer an option.
Why would you invest as a company to put all the episodes of DB on 4k Blu-ray when the demand for physical media is shrinking and is set to dy? Tendency is towards streaming, not buying 4k bu-rays.
I don't say we'll never get a 4k blu-ray release, but there are no immediate signals we are getting one either.
Please remember that even this latest standard blu-ray ray release was a very limited edition.
Yes, i do believe DB will be offered in 4k one day, 4k blu-ray, maybe, not 100 % sure, i wouldn't put my signature beneath the deal just yet.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:32 pm

There will always be a small profitable market for select shows and films on physical media. Just like how vinyl is sought after for the novelty and collectors market. It doesn't cost these companies much to put out these discs, and the same people who buy 4k discs now are the same people who would pay premium prices for a collectors set. I could see a time where only blockbusters, popular and critically acclaimed content gets released with everything else being digital only. Which is already starting to happen. Walmart is apparently only going to stock major studio blockbuster 4k discs.

I think the 30th set is a good indicator about where the future of DB releases is going. Limited production aimed at the hardcores. Obviously they failed to deliver a good product but that's independent from the point. I could see GT, the movies, and DB getting ONE MORE wide release MAYBE before they go the same route. I also wouldn't be surprised if they dont, and they move on ahead with limited sets for those. Which either way, us here on this forum wont have to worry as we will be in the loop and grab our copies ( if they don't suck).
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:32 pm I think the 30th set is a good indicator about where the future of DB releases is going. Limited production aimed at the hardcores.
The 30th set was never aimed at hardcore fans. It was aimed at suckers -- mainly uninformed nostalgics with money to throw around.

I still stand by what I said ealier: The next release of Dragon Ball Z will be a shitty 4K upscale of the Season BDs; cropped to widescreen, even crappier blown-out lights and darks, with the same shitty, blurry, smudgy, ugly image with no real picture detail.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:58 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:32 pm I think the 30th set is a good indicator about where the future of DB releases is going. Limited production aimed at the hardcores.
The 30th set was never aimed at hardcore fans. It was aimed at suckers -- mainly uninformed nostalgics with money to throw around.

I still stand by what I said ealier: The next release of Dragon Ball Z will be a shitty 4K upscale of the Season BDs; cropped to widescreen, even crappier blown-out lights and darks, with the same shitty, blurry, smudgy, ugly image with no real picture detail.
I'm saying from their marketing and perspective. Not what it actually was.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:32 pm There will always be a small profitable market for select shows and films on physical media. Just like how vinyl is sought after for the novelty and collectors market. It doesn't cost these companies much to put out these discs, and the same people who buy 4k discs now are the same people who would pay premium prices for a collectors set. I could see a time where only blockbusters, popular and critically acclaimed content gets released with everything else being digital only. Which is already starting to happen. Walmart is apparently only going to stock major studio blockbuster 4k discs.

I think the 30th set is a good indicator about where the future of DB releases is going. Limited production aimed at the hardcores. Obviously they failed to deliver a good product but that's independent from the point. I could see GT, the movies, and DB getting ONE MORE wide release MAYBE before they go the same route. I also wouldn't be surprised if they dont, and they move on ahead with limited sets for those. Which either way, us here on this forum wont have to worry as we will be in the loop and grab our copies ( if they don't suck).

That probably will be the case for quite some while, yes. You basically will still have to be lucky your favourite movies or series gets the release. It won't be standard anymore as with casual blu-rays. But i wouldn't be surprised within 25 years there are practically no more physical media. It depends if the players are still made. If there are no more players made available, because everything is made available online: why would major companies still invest in physical releases if that were the case?