How to correct the colors of the Dragon Box to look like Dragon Ball Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

How to correct the colors of the Dragon Box to look like Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:01 am

How to correct the colors of the Dragon Box to look like Dragon Ball Kai? For me, it's the best color palette in the series. So, is it possible?

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Re: How to correct the colors of the Dragon Box to look like Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Dragon Sponge » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:04 pm

CNXToonami made Edits like that so it is definitely possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1AYyC73eI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgPI8QMMlM

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Those look terrible. Lots of odd, desaturated colors and uncorrected color casts. Plus Bulma's hair is waaaay too blue (it's supposed to have a bit of green in it, and it does even in Kai).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Yeah, those are shit. The amateur internet colour correction equivalent of Funimation's crappy remasters that look flashy and "modern" to the untrained average consumer, but anyone who actually knows what good footage looks like knows it's just crap. (In fairness, though, CNXToonami aka Enigmo has done some pretty good CC work here and there in the past, but I'd stay away from his channel if I were you; not only is most of the content crap, but the guy himself is a toxic troll who's been known to doxx people he doesn't like. But let's not dwell on that; best thing to do is just ignore him and, where possible, not speak of him. So let's speak of him no more)

You can probably get a Kai-esque look with a lot of work.
But, the first thing you have to understand is that you probably won't be able to get an exact match for how Kai looks. You can probably evoke that kind of look with a lot of work, but the Dragon Box footage is quite deeply flawed in a lot of ways that make it very difficult to get good colour out of it.

For one thing, you need to start out by white-balancing pretty much every shot individually (You have to find something like irises, teeth, optical effects, etc. that should be white, and do an RGB adjustment to make that reference white colour not be tinted), which is itself a pretty herculean task with a show like this.

I suggest, if you're interested in this, you look up some online tutorials and such, and try to learn the more general principles of colour correction; get a handle on the fundamentals, etc.
And probably look at a lot of Kai footage to get a sense of how you want the footage to look, colour-wise. But be willing to not have it be an exact match. In fact, be ready for it to look quite significantly less good than Kai, because Dragon Box is just inherently flawed in so many ways.
Your aim should be to just get a good look out of it that has Kai inspiration in its hues.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm

i'd rather like saying i am neutral towards him but the two video shown above are VERY OLD post from him, the latest things i have seen from him trying to do a "kai" colors was thoses one above
dbox
his cc

Of course it don't say if it can look perfect on everything taking dragon box poor quality into considerations, but about colors i think that by a way or another , it can probably be done.

i tried myself enlighten colors for fun and it was possible, the hard part is the footage itself (blocking, noise etc) i couldn't get nice result with the footage itself

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:01 pm which is itself a pretty herculean task with a show like this.
Don't you mean a pretty satanic task? :wink:

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:01 pm which is itself a pretty herculean task with a show like this.
Don't you mean a pretty satanic task? :wink:
Well played, sir. Well played...

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:44 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm i'd rather like saying i am neutral towards him but the two video shown above are VERY OLD post from him, the latest things i have seen from him trying to do a "kai" colors was thoses one above
dbox
his cc

Of course it don't say if it can look perfect on everything taking dragon box poor quality into considerations, but about colors i think that by a way or another , it can probably be done.

i tried myself enlighten colors for fun and it was possible, the hard part is the footage itself (blocking, noise etc) i couldn't get nice result with the footage itself
Is that a Kai frame?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:32 am

No. Kai's contrast is similar to the Dragon Box (but with better dark detail), and this is way blown out.

Plus, one little thing I've never seen mentioned before, is that Kai's footage is slightly darker on the right side. That's a telltale way of identifying Kai's footage.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash