About Original FUNimation Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

aleksandrored

About Original FUNimation Dub

Post by aleksandrored » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi guys, i'm out about Dragon ball Z Original FUNimation dub projects, I have some doubts:

- Regarding Original FUNimation dub, how many episodes are missing? this with NEPS and Recaps.

- Is there a lot of difference between Single DVDs and the version of Toonami? I heard that the narrator was different.

Thanks in advance.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: About Original FUNimation Dub

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:28 pm

aleksandrored wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm Hi guys, i'm out about Dragon ball Z Original FUNimation dub projects, I have some doubts:

- Regarding Original FUNimation dub, how many episodes are missing? this with NEPS and Recaps.
When the show was syndicated i.e when Funimation was using the Ocean cast and having the show distributed by Saban the first 67 episodes were edited down to 53. No episode was actually missing they just edited enough footage to lose 14 episodes worth of content. When Funimation moved production in-house and episodes starting airing exclusively on Toonami 3 episodes were merged to 2 to get around Freeza impaling Krillin. The uncut dvds just left an episode unnumbered. In total 291 episodes were reduced to 276.

- Is there a lot of difference between Single DVDs and the version of Toonami? I heard that the narrator was different.
Not really some minor line changes here and there

Example :
Vegeta in dvd release: One thing I’ve learned is that I’m a friggin genius

Vegeta in Toonami airing: One thing I’ve learned is that I’m an absolute genius.

I think a few kills were edited to destroy or something similar but a few uses of kill still stayed in Toonami since they seemed to look the other way with DBZ’s censorship compared to other shows they aired.

Oh and Mr.Satan was Hecule for the Toonami airing but still Mr.Satan for the dvds.

The narrator is mostly the same but iirc Kyle Hebert started narrating toward the end of the Cell Games in the dvds release but Dale Kelly was still narrating until the other world tournament arc in Toonami.

aleksandrored

Re: About Original FUNimation Dub

Post by aleksandrored » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:28 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm Hi guys, i'm out about Dragon ball Z Original FUNimation dub projects, I have some doubts:

When the show was syndicated i.e when Funimation was using the Ocean cast and having the show distributed by Saban the first 67 episodes were edited down to 53. No episode was actually missing they just edited enough footage to lose 14 episodes worth of content. When Funimation moved production in-house and episodes starting airing exclusively on Toonami 3 episodes were merged to 2 to get around Freeza impaling Krillin. The uncut dvds just left an episode unnumbered. In total 291 episodes were reduced to 276.

Not really some minor line changes here and there

Example :
Vegeta in dvd release: One thing I’ve learned is that I’m a friggin genius

Vegeta in Toonami airing: One thing I’ve learned is that I’m an absolute genius.

I think a few kills were edited to destroy or something similar but a few uses of kill still stayed in Toonami since they seemed to look the other way with DBZ’s censorship compared to other shows they aired.

Oh and Mr.Satan was Hecule for the Toonami airing but still Mr.Satan for the dvds.

The narrator is mostly the same but iirc Kyle Hebert started narrating toward the end of the Cell Games in the dvds release but Dale Kelly was still narrating until the other world tournament arc in Toonami.

Thanks man, when I talked about how many episodes were missing, I was referring to the episodes available on the internet, I remember that the Frieza saga was practically complete, but the Cell and Boo saga was missing a few episodes, many were missing NEps and Recaps and other entire episodes.