Boycotting DB related company - did you do it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Boycotting DB related company - did you do it?

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Since the Levels came out, I've almost always purchased Funimation Dragon Ball releases used. I've purchased other series and movies released by them here and there from Right Stuf, but not much.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 am

Kokonoe wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:50 pm I'm not down with cancel culture so I stay subscribed to Funimation. They have decent selection of shows there.
At least you remember they have a library to choose from. These people act like their subscription for FUNimation's service means they were paying for one show instead of the entire library.

At least when I cancelled my Crunchyroll subscription it was done after realizing the majority of their content was not available for my region but I kept it to support the industry, but what made me cancel it and never go back was that entire High Guardian Spice debacle.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:31 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 am
Kokonoe wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:50 pm I'm not down with cancel culture so I stay subscribed to Funimation. They have decent selection of shows there.
At least you remember they have a library to choose from. These people act like their subscription for FUNimation's service means they were paying for one show instead of the entire library.

At least when I cancelled my Crunchyroll subscription it was done after realizing the majority of their content was not available for my region but I kept it to support the industry, but what made me cancel it and never go back was that entire High Guardian Spice debacle.
The people who are (or claim they are) cancelling their subscriptions over this anime are doing so with an agenda in mind. They hate Funi for “throwing Vic under the bus” and to them, this was the last straw. In fact, one conspiracy I heard is Interspecies Reviewers was pulled because of the leaked outtakes and, as such, they didn’t want to look like hypocrites. :roll:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:05 am

I think people overreacted big time to the High Guardian Spice thing. I fail to see what the big deal was there.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am I think people overreacted big time to the High Guardian Spice thing. I fail to see what the big deal was there.
The deal was this: Crunchyroll was supposed to be this way to legally support the anime industry by subscribing to their simulcast service for those who can't afford to purchase the 100s of DVDS of manga books. That's how it was. The money we were paying was meant for the anime studios.

Then Crunchyroll came up with this idea of creating their own animation (that in itself met with criticism of ripping off Little Witch Academia and one of the worst promotions ever) and that made many subscribers concerned that their money was going to fund this new "original" cartoon instead of anime studios or even fixing their site and player.

Crunchyroll of course stated the money used for the production was not the subscription money they were getting but 99% did not buy that and they all ended their subscription in protest. And in case it wasn't obvious, High Guardian Spice is yet to see the light of day, so it was money wasted on nothing.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am

The HGS idea was especially odd because it didn’t even look like anime. It was just your generic Steven Universe, Thundercats Roar art style that’s pushed on kids these days. I wouldn’t have minded them hiring actual directors from Jwpan to make original content exclusive to CR, ala Netflix (albeit those shows were hit/miss).

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am
Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am I think people overreacted big time to the High Guardian Spice thing. I fail to see what the big deal was there.
The deal was this: Crunchyroll was supposed to be this way to legally support the anime industry by subscribing to their simulcast service for those who can't afford to purchase the 100s of DVDS of manga books. That's how it was. The money we were paying was meant for the anime studios.

Then Crunchyroll came up with this idea of creating their own animation (that in itself met with criticism of ripping off Little Witch Academia and one of the worst promotions ever) and that made many subscribers concerned that their money was going to fund this new "original" cartoon instead of anime studios or even fixing their site and player.

Crunchyroll of course stated the money used for the production was not the subscription money they were getting but 99% did not buy that and they all ended their subscription in protest. And in case it wasn't obvious, High Guardian Spice is yet to see the light of day, so it was money wasted on nothing.
Ah OK now I can see where the concern is coming from.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

can confirm, thats when i canceled my sub to it. never going back.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

can confirm, thats when i canceled my sub to it. never going back.
I cancelled my sub for other unrelated reasons, but if they ever put Duel Masters on there i'll totally go back.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 pm

We’re anime fans! We practically invented piracy as we know it! They can cancel whatever they want. It’s not going to stop someone from watching any of their licensed shows if they really want to see it.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:54 pm

Some of this talk reminds me of some years back when I heard some guys say that Nelvana needed to go out of business for what happened with Cardcaptor Sakura. I said that was a little harsh, and reminded them of some of the good shows that company did, and some quieted, or just started ranting about how it was different for anime and western animation.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:51 am

I love the Beyblade dub but there are SOME PEOPLE that are so set in their ways that they call the anime Bakuten Shoot Beyblade EVERYTIME.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 am

I boycott Funimation simply because I dislike their dubs. They don't approach anime with an intent to do a faithful translation/localization of the original dialogue. They go and add jokes, change the tone, add references, etc. and I don't want to support that, especially with Dragon Ball. While this series isn't the most story-based show ever, it's my favorite and I don't like changes. So after seeing how Sabat decided to "do something different" with Super, I just don't buy their shit anymore. I don't have a FuniNow account or anything. Then there's their remastering process that removes grain as well as detail from everything and only leave a smeary, watercolor mess...

It's simply not worth paying to support these guys. I'm better off grabbing things off the 7 seas and removing the dub tracks, or just watching on VRV. I know they probably find some way to make a few pennies off me, but it's not direct and it's not much so I'm content.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:10 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 am I boycott Funimation simply because I dislike their dubs. They don't approach anime with an intent to do a faithful translation/localization of the original dialogue. They go and add jokes, change the tone, add references, etc. and I don't want to support that, especially with Dragon Ball. While this series isn't the most story-based show ever, it's my favorite and I don't like changes. So after seeing how Sabat decided to "do something different" with Super, I just don't buy their shit anymore. I don't have a FuniNow account or anything. Then there's their remastering process that removes grain as well as detail from everything and only leave a smeary, watercolor mess...

It's simply not worth paying to support these guys. I'm better off grabbing things off the 7 seas and removing the dub tracks, or just watching on VRV. I know they probably find some way to make a few pennies off me, but it's not direct and it's not much so I'm content.
Actually that's only really true of DBZ, their other dubs like Blue Gender and Yu-Yu-Hakisho are considerably more faithful to the original.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:49 am

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:10 am
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 am I boycott Funimation simply because I dislike their dubs. They don't approach anime with an intent to do a faithful translation/localization of the original dialogue. They go and add jokes, change the tone, add references, etc. and I don't want to support that, especially with Dragon Ball. While this series isn't the most story-based show ever, it's my favorite and I don't like changes. So after seeing how Sabat decided to "do something different" with Super, I just don't buy their shit anymore. I don't have a FuniNow account or anything. Then there's their remastering process that removes grain as well as detail from everything and only leave a smeary, watercolor mess...

Actually that's only really true of DBZ, their other dubs like Blue Gender and Yu-Yu-Hakisho are considerably more faithful to the original.
Danganronpa 3 almost had a gag dub from what I've heard, Prison School had that gamergate line*, and I think it was Dragon Maid that had a few lines changed IIRC from some people complaining on YouTube. I've heard more about changes they make, but I forget most of them (I'm tired right now). Then again, there's still their horrible DBZ releases such as the 30th and the season sets.

Note: I'm not really upset about the gamergate line in reference to what it was about, but that they bothered changing the line to begin with and inserted a partisan view when they could've left it alone and avoided another internet outrage.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:49 am

Danganronpa 3 almost had a gag dub from what I've heard, Prison School had that gamergate line*, and I think it was Dragon Maid that had a few lines changed IIRC from some people complaining on YouTube. I've heard more about changes they make, but I forget most of them (I'm tired right now). Then again, there's still their horrible DBZ releases such as the 30th and the season sets.

Note: I'm not really upset about the gamergate line in reference to what it was about, but that they bothered changing the line to begin with and inserted a partisan view when they could've left it alone and avoided another internet outrage.
If it was anti-GG i'm totally fine with it as those goddamn bigots can bite my ass for all I care, those morons will outrage over everything no matter(including minorities and LGBTQ folks merely existing) so I truly could not care less if something angers those manchildren(with the occasional womanchild) :evil:

If being against those pathetic excuses for individuals is considered "partisan" then you could consider me "partisan" as well and if Funimation wants to take digs at them they have my full support.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Funimation's dubs are atrocious including Yu Yu Hakusho, you can like the voice actors but it was highly localized. Funimation has in house editors who take the translation script with the intent to make it flow better but frequently think they're improving the work. This leads to problems though with stupid annoying jokes like in How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift a character cosplaying had the name of the series beeped and they simply called it "fuck" or even plot holes. There was a great anime recently where a character revealed they were computer person but they had it translated as robot. At the end of the show it was revealed to all be inside the internet but fans to this day still argue about what happened at the end and what the inside world of the show is like because they think it's an isekai or a dream not the actual internet which the show goes out of its way to state three times but is always mistranslated. We wouldn't accept these edited and localized scripts for art house films like Sonatine or Shoplifters right? So why do we as anime fans have to deal with a middle man thinking they are punching up the script?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:31 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Funimation's dubs are atrocious including Yu Yu Hakusho, you can like the voice actors but it was highly localized. Funimation has in house editors who take the translation script with the intent to make it flow better but frequently think they're improving the work. This leads to problems though with stupid annoying jokes like in How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift a character cosplaying had the name of the series beeped and they simply called it "fuck" or even plot holes. There was a great anime recently where a character revealed they were computer person but they had it translated as robot. At the end of the show it was revealed to all be inside the internet but fans to this day still argue about what happened at the end and what the inside world of the show is like because they think it's an isekai or a dream not the actual internet which the show goes out of its way to state three times but is always mistranslated. We wouldn't accept these edited and localized scripts for art house films like Sonatine or Shoplifters right? So why do we as anime fans have to deal with a middle man thinking they are punching up the script?
Well the vast majority of people would strongly disagree with you on that one.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm

I don't watch the streaming stuff, so no clue on the dumbbells show. But making some things word for word would result in the Speed Racer factor. While that worked for Speed Racer, it doesn't with modern anime. This scene from Shimoneta is close enough to the sub but not word for word, but has the point across. Also they get orders to punch up from Japan at times as what happened with Panty and Stocking, which is great and was ordered to be more raunchy and vulgar. Also regarding gag dubs, heard some of the cast from Black Butler wish they were doing the dub of the live action movie as a gag dub as straight and in Japanese it apparently isn't very good. And speaking of Black Butler, as you see with the leads talking in character, they actually sound British instead of not sounding British.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pmThere was a great anime recently where a character revealed they were computer person but they had it translated as robot. At the end of the show it was revealed to all be inside the internet but fans to this day still argue about what happened at the end and what the inside world of the show is like because they think it's an isekai or a dream not the actual internet which the show goes out of its way to state three times but is always mistranslated.
Just out of curiosity, what show was this?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147