Orange Bricks vs Blu-rays (2014) - Definitive Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Orange Bricks vs Blu-rays (2014) - Definitive Discussion

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:02 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:52 pm Really, if one's resorting to piracy over FUNimation's releases, it's better to download something than giving money to the bootleggers.

That aside, that bootleg's encoding makes the single DVDs amazing, and the subtitles are terrible. The bricks and BDs probably win by having Simmon's subs alone.
I don't know which was worse or funnier, those Dragon Box bootleg subtitles or the Anime Labs fansubs translations.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:52 pm Really, if one's resorting to piracy over FUNimation's releases, it's better to download something than giving money to the bootleggers.

That aside, that bootleg's encoding makes the single DVDs amazing, and the subtitles are terrible. The bricks and BDs probably win by having Simmon's subs alone.
Somewhat, yes. You're potentially supporting sweatshops and such, but a physical product creates security. I don't purchase bootlegs anymore, but everything I do purchase is physical as I don't like being at the mercy of a server. A DVD box set will always exist (even just on the aftermarket) even if the shady, malware-filled website you downloaded the same content from either removes it or is taken down.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 am

Don't see it mentioned here so I'm wondering if I'm the only one that had this happen. I got the season 1 Blu-ray and at the part where King Kai is talking about planet Namek after the saiyan battle, it suddenly starts using dialogue from the filler episode about planet Vegeta. This is the english dub track.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:15 am

blacksymbiote wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 am Don't see it mentioned here so I'm wondering if I'm the only one that had this happen. I got the season 1 Blu-ray and at the part where King Kai is talking about planet Namek after the saiyan battle, it suddenly starts using dialogue from the filler episode about planet Vegeta. This is the english dub track.
I can't answer your question, but considering the dub mix has problems like missing dialogue (Tenshinhan talking to Kaio), and the sets have at least one missing title cart, I would not be surprised if what you said is yet another error (which isn't present on the DVD Bricks).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:26 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:15 am
blacksymbiote wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 am Don't see it mentioned here so I'm wondering if I'm the only one that had this happen. I got the season 1 Blu-ray and at the part where King Kai is talking about planet Namek after the saiyan battle, it suddenly starts using dialogue from the filler episode about planet Vegeta. This is the english dub track.
I can't answer your question, but considering the dub mix has problems like missing dialogue (Tenshinhan talking to Kaio), and the sets have at least one missing title cart, I would not be surprised if what you said is yet another error (which isn't present on the DVD Bricks).
Things like this make me so glad I prefer Z subbed. It's a mess, and a shame that they keep botching that version for z dub fans.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:16 pm

I've got the Orange Bricks of DBZ seasons 1 and 2 purely to fill in the gaps left in by the abrupt cancellation of the Ultimate Uncut Editions(BTW did Funimation ever explain why those were cancelled? I can't find anything online about it)for the first 67 episodes. Sometimes they look OK but the DNR can be distracting at times.

This isn't the first time i've dealt with unnecessary cropping and DNR, if you're a Looney Tunes fan like me you've had to deal with this crap for way too long. I remember the outrage when WB started cropping their classic cartoons for no reason at all(using similarly weak logic that Funimation used for the Orange Bricks) and hearing about the DNR issues and seeing screen comparisons, and those are problems that are still continuing to this day(in some ways Looney Tunes fans have it even worse than DBZ fans do, as there's still quite a decent sized portion of cartoons that have either only ever been released on VHS/Laserdisc or have never gotten ANY kind of home video release at all). After that I started buying Looney Tunes on VHS as while the quality might not be as good at least I know i'm not getting unnecessary cropping or DNR there.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:16 pm I've got the Orange Bricks of DBZ seasons 1 and 2 purely to fill in the gaps left in by the abrupt cancellation of the Ultimate Uncut Editions(BTW did Funimation ever explain why those were cancelled? I can't find anything online about it)for the first 67 episodes.
From my understanding they were cancelled in favor of the season sets. I guess they thought it made more sense to do a whole series release instead of just the first 67 episodes

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:28 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:16 pm I've got the Orange Bricks of DBZ seasons 1 and 2 purely to fill in the gaps left in by the abrupt cancellation of the Ultimate Uncut Editions(BTW did Funimation ever explain why those were cancelled? I can't find anything online about it)for the first 67 episodes.
From my understanding they were cancelled in favor of the season sets. I guess they thought it made more sense to do a whole series release instead of just the first 67 episodes
That and they thought DBZ fans would much rather have crappy widescreen then proper 4:3 resolutions :roll: . That decision bummed me out because it means that the original UU dub that aired on Toonami at midnight was never fully released on DVD(which kinda sucks as I was always curious to here Mignogna's take on Burta, shame that nobody seems to have recorded those versions)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm
That and they thought DBZ fans would much rather have crappy widescreen then proper 4:3 resolutions :roll: . That decision bummed me out because it means that the original UU dub that aired on Toonami at midnight was never fully released on DVD(which kinda sucks as I was always curious to here Mignogna's take on Burta, shame that nobody seems to have recorded those versions)
I saw a clip someone here posted a few years ago. It was basically the exact same performance he gave for Butta in Kai.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

I saw a clip someone here posted a few years ago. It was basically the exact same performance he gave for Butta in Kai.
Ah interesting, guess i'll go searching for it.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:23 pm

So I checked the orange bricks and there is little to no image stabilization so you don't get that weird wably underwater effect that effected the later releases (hey a positive! lol) I don't think it's that distracting tho I understand why they'd wanna try and stabilize the footage

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:23 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:23 pm So I checked the orange bricks and there is little to no image stabilization so you don't get that weird wably underwater effect that effected the later releases (hey a positive! lol) I don't think it's that distracting tho I understand why they'd wanna try and stabilize the footage
Your linked image is displaying an error.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:28 pm

Dang.. does this one work?

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:40 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:28 pm
Dang.. does this one work?
Yes.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 am

Somewhat, yes. You're potentially supporting sweatshops and such, but a physical product creates security. I don't purchase bootlegs anymore, but everything I do purchase is physical as I don't like being at the mercy of a server. A DVD box set will always exist (even just on the aftermarket) even if the shady, malware-filled website you downloaded the same content from either removes it or is taken down.
I ve bought that release back in 2005 in Polish auction, and i had no idea it was bootleg, back then, i didn't know it could look so professional :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015