What kind of merchandises do you like buying?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

What kind of merchandises do you like buying?

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 pm

Bags, posters, board games, t-shirts, figures, keychains, mugs, notebooks etc.

And do you prefer collecting DB items with a certain character or not?
Last edited by TheRed259 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What kind of merchandises do you like consuming?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 pm

I like collecting Dragon Ball figures and doujinshi for the female characters. I also have a number of male characters. I'm particular for those sexy, ripped boys.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:22 pm

I have a (relatively) small collection of Gokū figures and statues. Mostly the S.H. Figuarts series (have nearly every Goku release outside of SDCC exclusives), WCF and Adverge figurines, and some Banpresto statues.

I have all of the canon Trunks and Bulma Figuarts.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:37 pm

Personally I like the anime the best when it comes to souless self-marketable drock. :wink:

All kidding aside, it's easily kid Son Goku stuff. I've got five figures of him: the "cloth clothing" Dimension of Dragonball figure, a Shonen Jump giveaway figure where he's in his training singlet, and the two Pop! Vinyls of him on the Nimbus. My favourite however is a model of Bulma's motorbike from Chapter 1 with him clinging to her back, just like the original cover. <3

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:42 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 pm Bags, posters, board games, t-shirts, figures, keychains, mugs, notebooks etc.

And do you prefer collecting DB items with a certain character or not?
Why in the world does everyone use the term "consume" in this way? It implies that we just buy this merchandise, throw it in the dumpster and then buy more. or like we're mindless monsters devouring goods. Just like how the term "consumer" dehumanizes the customer.

Anyway, the merchandise I buy (I don't eat it) is basically just down to the action figures. I used to get the Figuarts before they became $60 a figure (some still are affordable, but I don't care anymore, as I'll explain now), so I moved to the Figure-rise model kits which are both fun to build, and still look good (well, some early ones were rough, but the sculpts are improving. Just compare SS4 Goku with his weird face and no neck muscles to the very on-model SS4 Gogeta. I would love to take a Gogeta and paint his fur magenta and use his faces on Goku's hair for a perfect looking SS4 Goku figure).

I kind of prefer them in a way because they have better articulation, since they have actual ankle rocker joints, so the Kamehameha pose is trivial for them to pull off. I also think the accessories are pretty good. The optional yelling faces are kind of a must for Dragon Ball figures.

I did recently buy a few of the American Dragon Stars figures... but the articulation on them is usually terrible. The SSGSS Vegeta is so poorly engineered that just moving his hips (which barely move) scratches them up badly. Zamasu can't move his hips at all, even when you remove his skirt piece, which means the knee and ankle joints were a waste of plastic. They seem to be improving, but the new Vegeta is as tall as Goku, and has some weird sculpt oddities. I also, in general, hate the lack of any accessories. Most typical American action figures these days come with a decent amount of them for the same price, even multiple heads! Having these characters in action poses with blank stares just looks bad to me.

I do like the Freezas and the Androids on that line though. They look better than the FIgure-rise counterparts AND articulate just as well, if not better. I'm hopeful that the upcoming Coola (which I'll definitely get) will be just as good as Freeza. There's also a Janemba coming out and I will get that too. On the note of things I'll buy, well the Figure-rise full power Jiren is looking nice as well. I don't care too much about him, but I did get the UI Goku Figure-rise (partly to use as a shirtless body for his other forms as well), and they will go together well.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:42 pm

Why in the world does everyone use the term "consume" in this way? It implies that we just buy this merchandise, throw it in the dumpster and then buy more. or like we're mindless monsters devouring goods. Just like how the term "consumer" dehumanizes the customer.
it's honestly so weird, it's already just like a weird word in general but in this type of context especially.

anyway the last dragon ball things i've bought in the past couple years were the posters for z movies 2 and 3, love the art for both of them and they look amazing. i've kinda given up buying physical media fully at this point, and i've owned the manga digitally for the past 5 or so years, so i don't have a lot to get i guess.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:09 am

'Consume' is just a catch-all for the various ways we interact with the franchise. I guess it also helps that the concept is also what is used to describe Otaku--which none of us here really are--and how they 'consume' data and merchandise for their collections.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 am

I collect the DVDs, Blu-Rays, manga and Derek Paula books as I like how all these things look on a bookshelf.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:33 am

I actually don’t own any of the Dragon Ball merchandise you listed. I just never found the appeal of collecting figures, not even when I was younger, nor did I ever buy posters or t-shirts of the franchise.

What I would like to eventually buy is an accurate replica of the Dragon Balls, as I think those look really cool, but have no idea which and where to buy them.
And I also have to buy some Dragon Ball-related gym clothing at some point, but those always seemed a bit too expensive in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:36 am

Home media releases (good ones) and Banpresto figures because for their price they are really nice quality.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 am

I also have a nice t-shirt from Uniqlo of the cover of chapter 115, Freeza and Goku staring each other down. Love that shirt and try not to wear it too often so it won't fade. :D

Also forgot that after selling my nearly complete Figuarts collection (apart from the aforementioned Goku, Bulma and Trunks), I re-bought Freeza and Golden Freeza. I needed someone for Goku to fight against in photos! And who better than his arch-enemy?

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Re: What kind of merchandises do you like buying?

Post by blacksymbiote » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:18 am

Blu-ray releases. Wish DB and DBGT would get them already.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:27 am

blacksymbiote wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:18 am Blu-ray releases. Wish DB and DBGT would get them already.
If they end up looking anything like the 30th set or Season sets, they can keep em.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:28 pm

Used to be really into figures but now I'm OCD about minimizing how much shit is on my shelves. Now I focus on buying stuff that's functional and I would get some sort of use out of instead of just a cool decoration. So shirts, hoodies, games, mugs, manga/DVDs of the stuff that isn't on streaming or at my local library, haven't bought posters yet but I might.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:31 pm

In terms of merchandise for me personally it's mostly been home video and video games.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

dubbxyz

Post by dubbxyz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:04 am

Currently I am working on building my Funimation Collected Media collection, DVDs, Blu Rays, and have not decided if I want to dedicate myself to the VHS or individual DVD releases. I am actively collecting the Bandai Dragon Stars now, and trying to finish off my Nintendo and Sony Video Game Collection. I like uniformity so I try to stay away from one off pieces or collectibles that don’t have good shelf presence.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:21 am

I specifically enjoy buying WCF figures, but I think I'm done collecting those. Now it's just the mangas and blurays :)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Nowadays, the big model figurines. And any games that interest me.

I have all of the original run of DB-Z-GT and the movies and the original manga already so I'm done buying those unless Viz decides to continue the Full Color manga.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:05 am

I'll buy almost anything with the DB brand on it to be honest. Most of my collection is multimedia based though, so the games, home releases, manga, etc.

I do enjoy collecting the figures though, and with my love for Gunpla flowering like never before, I'm growing increasingly interested in the Figurise Standard DBZ kits, though I'm not so sure on their quality or size for their price.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:26 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:05 am I do enjoy collecting the figures though, and with my love for Gunpla flowering like never before, I'm growing increasingly interested in the Figurise Standard DBZ kits, though I'm not so sure on their quality or size for their price.
I love them. Some of the earlier ones are a bit janky sculpt-wise, but they keep improving. They're basically HGs, in that they use some stickers for colors (some only need mouth stickers), and they're hollow. The articulation on them is the best on any DB figure line, beating out even the Figuarts due to having ankle rocker joints on most of the kits.

If you don't mind doing a bit of painting (and lining the eyes with some paint or a Gundam panel lining marker), then they're very fun.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash