Which was your favorite training?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Which was your favorite training?

Post by Psajdak » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm

While I do think that Goku and Kuririn training under Muten Roshi is the most iconic one, I kinda really loved Goku training alone on his way to Namek.

It's not his first gravity training, but after he finishes, and return the gravity to the normal level, and then sees how light, and fast he is...
It simply felt really earned afterwards, especially during his demonstration in front of Ginyu Force.

Gohan training with Goten in the nature was also cool.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which was your favorite training?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:35 pm

The training at Korin tower that Goku didn’t know was training until he drank the sacred tap water was a lot of fun.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:41 pm

Always the one with Roshi. It's the longest of the training arcs*, focuses on the fundamentals and the mentality of training and fighting, and it's supplemented with the blossoming of Goku and Krillin's friendship.

I also liked Goku and Gohan's trianing in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber because it's the first time in a LONG time that we get to see Goku act like a father to Gohan.

*I don't directly count the Kami training because that tends to be a "Lesson Excursion of the Week" format.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:57 am

Probably King kai training for the Saiyans. Snake Way, Bubbles, and the Spirit Bomb were all so cool. I love the Otherworld in the Dragon Verse and this is part of that

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:23 am

Not so much a favorite training as a favorite training moment. When Goku is training under Roshi and he's getting sick of delivering milkcrates, Roshi casually mentions that Gohan did the exact same training decades ago. It's just a really sweet moment of which there aren't many involving Goku.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:23 am

Goku and Krillin training, hands down. It’s not only the longest one - as it lasts for an entire arc (in fact I would say the 21st Budokai Tenkaichi is a long training arc) but it’s the foundation of Dragon Ball. It sets up what the serie is about, and shapes up Goku’s mentality as martial artist.
I love all the teachings from Kame Sennin, he’s definitely the best Dragon Ball master.
And I love the master-student dynamics, but also the student-student ones. The way the training is structured is also a lot of fun, and I will never not love to see Goku finally moving the rock or the moment when Goku and Krillin jump up in the sky and realize the progress they have made.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:22 am

Goku and Kuririn training before the 21st Tenkaichi. Always.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 am

Goku and Krillin's tutelage under Roshi will always remain my favourite training arc. It hits all of the right notes of balancing the whimsical tone of story, while also taking the training itself seriously enough that it doesn't make all of the hard work and effort seem like a waste of time, AND it beautifully lays down the foundation for Goku and Krillin's friendship. It isn't anything mind-blowing or innovate, it's simply a basic premise that's executed with enough subtlety and with enough of earnest attitude to make it stand out and have damn near infinite re-watch value.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 pm

I’m always torn between Goku and Kuririn training with Muten Roshi and the training leading up to the fight against Vegeta and Nappa. I found Goku and Kuririn’s training to be entertaining as hell and it has a great payoff. But I’m also a little bias towards the Saipan Saga training period because as a kid I found it fascinating that all of these crazy strong people had to train and even the kid had to learn from scratch. Not only that, in the end they technically didn’t even win. But they eventually found an ally.

I should also give a special shout out to all of the training done at Karin’s Tower since he and Yajirobe are two of my favorite characters.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 am Goku and Krillin's tutelage under Roshi will always remain my favourite training arc. It hits all of the right notes of balancing the whimsical tone of story, while also taking the training itself seriously enough that it doesn't make all of the hard work and effort seem like a waste of time, AND it beautifully lays down the foundation for Goku and Krillin's friendship. It isn't anything mind-blowing or innovate, it's simply a basic premise that's executed with enough subtlety and with enough of earnest attitude to make it stand out and have damn near infinite re-watch value.
I think it has a deeper long-term meaning as well because. While the first arc introduces the basic story premise that would be expanded upon with the RRA arc, you could argue than the 21st TB establishes the thematic premises. Always training, meeting stronger, surprising people, never taking your lot in the world for granted, and every encounter having something unexpected to learn. And of course for Goku himself where he discovers this passion that will direct the rest of his life, having a huge bearing on where the story will take him and how he approaches it.
Gligarman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 pm I should also give a special shout out to all of the training done at Karin’s Tower since he and Yajirobe are two of my favorite characters.
I had to chuckle here given that Yajirobe wouldn't start squatting at his tower until he took Goku to Korin's in the Daimao arc!

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Gligarman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 pm I should also give a special shout out to all of the training done at Karin’s Tower since he and Yajirobe are two of my favorite characters.
I had to chuckle here given that Yajirobe wouldn't start squatting at his tower until he took Goku to Korin's in the Daimao arc!
I just love that Karin never asked him to leave so just decided to live there. One of my favorite things about Toriyama is his impeccable ability to create such odd groups of characters that all have such great chemistry.
Last edited by Gligarman on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

I enjoyed Roshi's milk training in particular

Also, the whole ROSAT training. It's mysterious, yet super effective. It's physics such as gravity 10X, temperature fluctuatinin above 40 degrees to -40 degree or sumthin seems perfectly capable to turn even an infant into a monster coming outta dat chamber

Though off-screen, really wonder just what kinda Otherworld training Goku would've done to be able to unlock SSJ3. I'd dig that 😂

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 am Goku and Krillin's tutelage under Roshi will always remain my favourite training arc. It hits all of the right notes of balancing the whimsical tone of story, while also taking the training itself seriously enough that it doesn't make all of the hard work and effort seem like a waste of time, AND it beautifully lays down the foundation for Goku and Krillin's friendship. It isn't anything mind-blowing or innovate, it's simply a basic premise that's executed with enough subtlety and with enough of earnest attitude to make it stand out and have damn near infinite re-watch value.
I think it has a deeper long-term meaning as well because. While the first arc introduces the basic story premise that would be expanded upon with the RRA arc, you could argue than the 21st TB establishes the thematic premises. Always training, meeting stronger, surprising people, never taking your lot in the world for granted, and every encounter having something unexpected to learn. And of course for Goku himself where he discovers this passion that will direct the rest of his life, having a huge bearing on where the story will take him and how he approaches it.
Great comment.

I absolutely see how the structure of the narrative for that training arc could have been used as the framework for the themes of Dragon Ball's later arcs.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:20 pm Great comment.

I absolutely see how the structure of the narrative for that training arc could have been used as the framework for the themes of Dragon Ball's later arcs.
It is! I'm not sure how conscious Toriyama was of this when writing, but it's notable to me that starting with Piccolo and through to Cell, pretty much all of the villains big and small have this arrogant streak where they assume they can never be bested (especially by someone they've defeated/measured with a Scouter before).

Frieza in particular is defeated because he cannot accept that anyone could possibly match him, the strongest being for all of his known life, and Goku directly points this out as he leaves. I always felt that the reasoning for Golden Frieza, that he never trained a day in his damn life, actually funnels into this moment and makes it even better because it all goes back to Roshi's lesson at the 21st TB.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 pm

I really liked King Kai's training, he was pretty funny and him and Goku played off one another quite nicely.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm

It's impossible for me to quantify it, and I don't know if it's my favorite, but I have a special place in my heart for Gohan's training, especially with the filler episodes. We get to see Gohan make slow but steady progress from a crybaby to competent fighter.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:23 pm

HEARTS ON FIRE

STRONG DESIRE

RAGES DEEP WITHIIIINNNN
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 am

It might not be as significant as some of the other arcs, but I really enjoy the few episodes that involve Gohan training Videl and Goten in ki control and flight prior to the 25th Budokai. It's a great look into Gohan's character as he shows intelligence and patience as a teacher, and shows how he and Videl have a natural respect and chemistry with each other which makes their later relationship believable. It's the first time we really see Gohan's potential as a mentor that we unfortunately never really get much of again due to how quickly the Boo arc derails.