Its 2020, and Dr. Slump anime is still far from being completely translated...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Its 2020, and Dr. Slump anime is still far from being completely translated...

Post by Psajdak » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:04 am

Excluding Arale parts in DB anime, and DBS, I only saw a few episodes randomly, and one, or two movies, and I thought they were really entertaining, and I in general just love Penguin Village, it's just so silly funny, and relaxing.

Really wish I could have included Dr. Slump anime everything in my big Toriyama anime marathon which I was doing in recent few years.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Its 2020, and Dr. Slump anime is still far from being completely translated...

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am

I know of at least one group who's fansubbing the '80s Dr Slump, but I don't think they're even halfway through yet.

I think another group also fansubbed the Dragon Ball crossover from the '97 Dr Slump revival?

But yeah, I agree. I'd love to pick up a DVD of Dr Slump someday. Doesn't even need to have a dub produced, just have a company acquire the rights, write up a good enough sub track, and put it out into the world. :)

But at the same time, it's probably not quite that simple. Apparently Dr Slump's dialogue was laced with wordplay and puns, so it's apparently somewhat notoriously hard to translate. Though I've heard Viz's manga translation does a really great job at adapting this, at least. So, if you're hankering for some Dr Slump, I imagine it should all be on Viz's Shonen Jump service ($2 for a month of unlimited manga reading; really the cheapest and best way to read anything in that catalogue).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

coola
I Live Here

Re: Its 2020, and Dr. Slump anime is still far from being completely translated...

Post by coola » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:58 am

I'm afraid Movies 1-5 sold poorly, since Discotek didn't even released rest of movies :( I was kinda hoping that Super episode with Dr. Slump characters would introduce more people to series, but apparently not.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 am

The only home releases the anime has had is in foreign markets including of course Japan who released the original series and '97 revival plus movies in a very similar form to the Dragon Boxes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:16 am

The tragic reality is that there just isn't enough interest from English speaking Western audiences for Dr Slump to be licensed, dubbed and distributed. It's a shame.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:53 pm

I have maybe 15 or so episodes subbed. I can't remember how many episodes it is but There's a crossover with kid goku in the new slump were he transformed into a giant ape. The animation is like GT as well. but at the time I could only find it in german not Japanese. I still have them downloaded too. But idk...I just gave up with trying to get it all. I remember a torrent folder years ago had a crap ton of stuff but it was over 200 some gigs lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am I imagine it should all be on Viz's Shonen Jump service ($2 for a month of unlimited manga reading; really the cheapest and best way to read anything in that catalogue).
I believe it is. I tried it last year and really enjoyed the service, and it did indeed have Dr. Slump. However, it is not quite unlimited. You get a certain number of chapters you can read per day. I never ran into the issue of running into my limit, but I am someone who can't sit still and play a new game for 9-12 hours straight anymore like I could as a kid. I imagine some people who are able to sit and read manga for 6 to 10+ hours a day on the computer would be upset even if it's only $2. But yeah, it's there and I enjoyed the little bit that I read.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am I imagine it should all be on Viz's Shonen Jump service ($2 for a month of unlimited manga reading; really the cheapest and best way to read anything in that catalogue).
I believe it is. I tried it last year and really enjoyed the service, and it did indeed have Dr. Slump. However, it is not quite unlimited. You get a certain number of chapters you can read per day. I never ran into the issue of running into my limit, but I am someone who can't sit still and play a new game for 9-12 hours straight anymore like I could as a kid. I imagine some people who are able to sit and read manga for 6 to 10+ hours a day on the computer would be upset even if it's only $2. But yeah, it's there and I enjoyed the little bit that I read.
I have heard about the chapter limit, though I think it's something like a hundred chapters per day?... A bit stupid of them to put a limit at all, but it's a fairly forgiving one.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 am I have heard about the chapter limit, though I think it's something like a hundred chapters per day?... A bit stupid of them to put a limit at all, but it's a fairly forgiving one.
It is indeed 100 chapters, which is a pretty reasonable limit to put on there if they have to put one at all, yeah. There's also a week-long limit to downloads - if you don't read and delete the chapters after a week, they'll be unreadable until you delete and re-download them. Downloads go pretty quick (even on my subpar tablet), so doing so is no real issue either.

I read the manga all the way through for the first time a few months or so ago myself, and it was well worth the read. More people should check it out, especially if you enjoy early Dragon Ball - so much of what makes DB tick was first experimented with in Dr. Slump, it's a great series. I too really wish the anime could get some sort of release here, but I have a sinking feeling that the Discotek movies seemingly underselling has probably all but put the final nail in that coffin, as fara s official releases go. If Discotek can't make enough with it, then I don't think any company can.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 am I have heard about the chapter limit, though I think it's something like a hundred chapters per day?... A bit stupid of them to put a limit at all, but it's a fairly forgiving one.
It is indeed 100 chapters, which is a pretty reasonable limit to put on there if they have to put one at all, yeah. There's also a week-long limit to downloads - if you don't read and delete the chapters after a week, they'll be unreadable until you delete and re-download them. Downloads go pretty quick (even on my subpar tablet), so doing so is no real issue either.

I read the manga all the way through for the first time a few months or so ago myself, and it was well worth the read. More people should check it out, especially if you enjoy early Dragon Ball - so much of what makes DB tick was first experimented with in Dr. Slump, it's a great series. I too really wish the anime could get some sort of release here, but I have a sinking feeling that the Discotek movies seemingly underselling has probably all but put the final nail in that coffin, as fara s official releases go. If Discotek can't make enough with it, then I don't think any company can.
There are a good chunk of the episodes of the '80s Slump series and some of the movies available fansubbed online, not the entire series but it's something at least. I don't know if there's much if anything of the 1997 series available as of now although that one doesn't interest me quite as much although the Dragon Ball crossover in that was decent as wee the ones from the original DB series during the Red Ribbon arc and Mystical Adventure film.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:12 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 am
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm
I have heard about the chapter limit, though I think it's something like a hundred chapters per day?... A bit stupid of them to put a limit at all, but it's a fairly forgiving one.
Indeed. Remember that is 100 chapters per day, not pages. Saying this for anyone who might confuse the two.

Gaming Football

Post by Gaming Football » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:29 pm

I really wish we DID get more Dr. Slump anime...even if it’s just the original from 1981, I would GLADLY shell out money for that.
Ossu! Ora Goku!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am I know of at least one group who's fansubbing the '80s Dr Slump, but I don't think they're even halfway through yet.

I think another group also fansubbed the Dragon Ball crossover from the '97 Dr Slump revival?
The group doing the 80's sub isn't doing it in a real "proper" way though, or at least wasn't, maybe they've changed their ways now (used to do unchecked cross-language translations that weren't really edited).

The 97 series having been fansubbed in english? I don't think so. Only the Dragon Ball crossover episodes.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:43 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am I know of at least one group who's fansubbing the '80s Dr Slump, but I don't think they're even halfway through yet.
The group doing the 80's sub isn't doing it in a real "proper" way though, or at least wasn't, maybe they've changed their ways now (used to do unchecked cross-language translations that weren't really edited).
Hm.
Better than nothing, at least, I guess.

Looking into it, apparently they've had professional (or semi-professional?) Japanese-to-English translators for, at least, the last ~10-20 episodes they've done.
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am I think another group also fansubbed the Dragon Ball crossover from the '97 Dr Slump revival?
The 97 series having been fansubbed in english? I don't think so. Only the Dragon Ball crossover episodes.
That is what I said, yes. :P

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:01 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:43 pm
Hm.
Better than nothing, at least, I guess.

Looking into it, apparently they've had professional (or semi-professional?) Japanese-to-English translators for, at least, the last ~10-20 episodes they've done.
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 am I think another group also fansubbed the Dragon Ball crossover from the '97 Dr Slump revival?
That is what I said, yes. :P
Oh yes, indeed you said, that's what I get from posting at 3 am while not being able to sleep...

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:50 pm

It is rather depressing thinking of all the long-running anime in Japan that have never been translated into English and/or dubbed, Macross will most likely never go outside of Japan as long as Harmony Gold still exists and Detective Conan just stopped getting dubbed after like 130 episodes for some reason.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku