I've been thinking and honestly One Piece seems superior to Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

I've been thinking and honestly One Piece seems superior to Dragon Ball?

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:33 am

Like in the things it does. Characters are more fleshed out, but it doesn't go the seinen route or anything it still is very much shonen and it has that silliness Dragon Ball has with the serious moments in-between.

But when the moments are serious...they just are more richer and more fulfilling. And when the moments are sillier they are more humorous.

There's also like a certain consistency that Dragon Ball seemed to never truly have that One Piece has.

I feel Oda learned much from Toriyama and from learning his ways ended up creating something far more quality. Dragon Ball is still memorable for being the first and it still is great to watch, just I feel One Piece completely overshadows it now.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I've been thinking and honestly One Piece seems superior to Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 am

I can’t imagine a series with over 900 episodes is any good to be honest. Especially one that is supposedly serialized. It’s why I can’t fathom people wanting more Dragon Ball after Super has ended. And even the series was allowed to die for a good 20 years before being dug up from its grave.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:41 am

Why not? Sure the length can be infuriating but its awesome anyway. In fact, I think its the oposite, people enjoy One Piece a lot and its that quality that has allowed it to endure.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:42 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 am I can’t imagine a series with over 900 episodes is any good to be honest. Especially one that is supposedly serialized. It’s why I can’t fathom people wanting more Dragon Ball after Super has ended. And even the series was allowed to die for a good 20 years before being dug up from its grave.
Read it you'll see. One Piece is unlike anything else. It's remained consistent the entire time. There's a reason it's the number one sold manga of all time.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 am I can’t imagine a series with over 900 episodes is any good to be honest. Especially one that is supposedly serialized. It’s why I can’t fathom people wanting more Dragon Ball after Super has ended. And even the series was allowed to die for a good 20 years before being dug up from its grave.
I haven't read or watched all nearly enough One Piece to have an opinion on how good it is but it's a high seas adventure. You can tell good stories about sailing, piracy, and dodging the police for decades without it becoming repitetive. That's how we got classics like the Horatio Hornblower series.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 am

I haven't moved into the new world arcs yet as I'm waiting for Funimation to dub it further (they just released the Fishmen island arc), but as much as I like One Piece, I don't think it's better than DB (the original story). My main issue with it is that it's too long, and not in a good way. In trying to flesh things out (characters, world, etc.), Oda extends each arc to an unnecessary length that just slows everything down. The problem is that he dwells on every character and moment to the point where it seems like the scene won't end.

For example, if Oda was writing DB, the fight between Cui and Vegeta (which took half an episode if I remember right), it would probably be no less than 3-4. Between the dragged out fights, the fake outs, the shit talking, the history we have to see, etc., it just never ends. There are cases where less is more, and more often than not, that's the case in One Piece.

I know it sounds like I'm hating on it, but I'm not, as I've watched 500+ episodes and am currently anticipating the rest of it, but the amount of time it spends on everything prevents it from surpassing DB for me.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 amI can’t imagine a series with over 900 episodes is any good to be honest. Especially one that is supposedly serialized.
If you took out the superficial padding done by both Oda and Toei, One piece could probably be cut down in half. One Piece has a very good story and even better characters, the problem is that every moment is extended to a very unnecessary degree. You know how unnatural the fight between Freeza and Goku was in Z ? imagine that applied to every fight and every moment in One Piece.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:15 am

What do you mean by "doesn't go the seinen route"?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:25 am

I've been wanting to watch One Piece for a while but idk if I'll get to it. As much as I heard people hated the anime version of toriko, i absolutely loved it. Each episode just made me happy with all the funny food they can eat in that gourmet world. Regardless, like i was just telling a friend a few moments ago, I don't think i'll ever get tired of the Dragonball franchise. And as many errors and such is with the series, in my opinion! I consider it to be greatest anime series of ever. lol I know there's better written stories out there, but idk...The universe and lore of the series is just amazing to me. I'm 30 now and i've been a fan ever since its hit the states and have no plans on abandoning it any time soon.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 am

Just the fact that One Piece shies away from the old and stupid cliche that a protagonist can't/doesn't have parents alive certainly makes it stand.

Sure, the mother is an obscure entity, but Monkey D. Luffy's actual grandfather and, more importantly, his father are alive is particularly something I look forward to. Very curious to see how Eiichiro Oda will handle the situation once they meet.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 am

samuraix123 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:25 amI've been wanting to watch One Piece for a while but idk if I'll get to it.
I think what might preventing you form liking it won't be what it offers as much as it'll be how long it takes to get through it. When it's all said and done, One Piece will be a 1500+ episode show, and that might be cutting it short. Between the amount of episodes and the fact that Toei only adapts half a chapter and sometimes less per episode, you're not only looking at a long show, you're looking at one that's very badly paced.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:01 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 am I know it sounds like I'm hating on it, but I'm not, as I've watched 500+ episodes and am currently anticipating the rest of it, but the amount of time it spends on everything prevents it from surpassing DB for me.
If the things I hear about the anime are true, I doubt there's any excuse for that amount of padding but as far as the manga is concerned, a slower pace is probably a good idea. Padding gives Oda enough time to change his mind and move arcs in new directions without giving the reader whiplash. Most writers aren't Toriyama and if they ever have to introduce three sets of different main bad guys all in the span of a few months, it won't look natural and the audience will notice on the first read through.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:08 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:15 am What do you mean by "doesn't go the seinen route"?
The trashy kind etc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:09 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:01 amIf the things I hear about the anime are true, I doubt there's any excuse for that amount of padding.
There's an arc that's 102 chapters in the manga, which shouldn't have been more than 51 episodes in the anime if they adapted 2 chapters per episodes., Instead, it's 118 episodes, 67 episodes more than it should've been. If they adapted a chapter and a half per episode, it would've been around 70 episodes long, around 50 episodes less than it actually is. There's no excuse for this kind of padding.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:26 am

I like One Piece, I've only reached as far as the Alabasta arc but what I've seen this far has been very satisfying, and this is coming from someone who initially found the length daunting. I hope to be caught up by the time it finishes.

I definitely agree that it seems to develop characters, Oda's world and lore really well. Arguably better than Dragon Ball in many cases. Toriyama's influence is clear as day, and the lightheartedness in both series make for a really rewarding experience, especially when you binge.

As to which is better, I'd say it all comes down to personal preference and while I very much respect One Piece's strengths no anime or manga series has ever, or likely will ever have the same impact on me that Dragon Ball did.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:31 am

To each their own. I never got hooked on One Piece at all, and it aired near Dragon Ball on TV when I was a kid.

I have even tried to read the manga and really couldn’t get into it and dropped it because it was boring me just too much.

I don’t need people telling me “it gets good at chapter number xxx!!!”. Besides I don’t even rememeber how I got hooked on Dragon Ball as a kid, it just happened while the same never occurred for One Piece to me. DB never “got good” for me because it was always good in the first place: that’s the kind of shows/mangas I like.
Which is why I hate seeing people compare it to DB. They may be the same genre but they are very different things, and of course there will be people who prefer OP but to go on here and say “Yep, OP is definitely better!” makes no sense.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:53 am

I love One Piece, when I legally changed my name I took my middle name from a character in One Piece, the highs of One Piece are higher than the highs of Dragon Ball. But overall, I still consider Dragon Ball the superior series. It has a simplicity and flow to it that One Piece simply doesn’t have.

Also, I gave up on the One Piece anime after the timeskip. The padding is absolutely unbearable. I still follow the manga on a weekly basis though.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:03 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:09 am There's an arc that's 102 chapters in the manga, which shouldn't have been more than 51 episodes in the anime if they adapted 2 chapters per episodes., Instead, it's 118 episodes
That's fucking amazing lmao

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:23 am

I have not seen a single episode. From what I have seen in clips, the show doesn't interest me at all tbh. I think the length is certainly part of it, but for me, the character designs and art direction are not very appealing for me. All the characters look extremely whimsical/wacky, and that mixed with the pirate theme just leaves me feeling "bleh". There is something about Toriyama's designs that I don't think will ever be topped.

I think Naruto is pretty close to reaching Dragon Ball's level for me but MY GOD the anime has terrible pacing with all the filler..it pretty much ruins all the good will I have for the story and characters. I can only imagine what it would be like to watch a show with twice the episodes.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:23 amI think Naruto is pretty close to reaching Dragon Ball's level for me but MY GOD the anime has terrible pacing with all the filler..it pretty much ruins all the good will I have for the story and characters.
The difference is that you can skip Naruto's filler, which when removed, brings the total episodes down to 400. That massively improves the pacing. You can't skip One Piece's filler as it's mixed in with the canon material, unlike Naruto's which are separate episodes/arcs.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 am

Okay? I mean, that's a perfectly valid opinion.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147