Gohan in Battle of Gods

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Gohan in Battle of Gods

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:32 am

During the movie Gohan is seen with his usual hairstyle in Dragon Ball Super, but when he faces Bills he returns with his bangs. Did he use his mystical form? And if you used it, isn't it strange and lost it abruptly in ROF?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Gohan in Battle of Gods

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pm

Yes, Gohan was using his mystic form, which was confirmed by the movie's co-writer Watanabe. In terms of RF, he wasn't sure if he could go Ssj much less mystic. This was probably done to allow them to cover ground already covered before, him losing part of his power only to gain it back again, as seen in the Buu arc. God forbid they do something new with the character.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:26 pm

He was drunk and was the Great Saiyaman.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Mystical Space Duck Gohan.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 pm

Since this isn't in the In Universe board, I'll give you a meta answer: the writers for the Dragon Ball anime have absolutely no clue how Gohan works post-Boo arc.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Rory wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 pm Since this isn't in the In Universe board, I'll give you a meta answer: the writers for the Dragon Ball anime have absolutely no clue how Gohan works post-Boo arc.
I'd argue post cell

- Every power he gets you feel he earned and over came for (except maybe unlock potential on namek but even krillin got that so that's ok)

- next saga he is just doing this slice of life high school story that's really not the Gohan we thought we'd get after cell.

- buu saga - He gets beat up way to easy and when he finally gets handed a new power because reasons , he lasts like 5 minutes before been tricked. This is bad as which is it? Either he's weaker because he concentrated on on his studies or he's dumber because he focused on fighting. You can't make him weak and dumb

- super he does nothing and when he gets the power back it's meaningless he's still not Goku vegeta frieza or jiren he's just there really.

It may be the most tragic treatment of a character in anime imo as Saiyan saga - powerful kid who needs training , actually hurts enemies like Raditz when others can't , Frieza - stands up against powerful people , actually hurts frieza and others , Cell - he's trained he's better than ever but still reserved and gets a power up no one had and beats cell. Every saga after : useless mostly

He's gone from "the future" to "the cannon fodder" it's such a shame. Hogan was easily in my top 5 characters till buu saga.

Now buu didn't fully destroy him but it started the trend I feel.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 pm

Yes Gohan was Ultimate during this movie. What's more interesting, in early version of movie he used SSJ over Ultimate to fight Beerus which was later changed. The same way he appeared as SSJ Ultimate on poster. I guess that answers all the "Ultimate can't go SSJ" posts. I mean writers never really knew how to handle Ultimate Gohan before. It was implied that Gohan was Ultimate against Super 17 in GT as well, yet he turns SSJ. It wasn't until DBS where they kinda tried to settle this although it's still confusing.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:28 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 pm Yes Gohan was Ultimate during this movie. What's more interesting, in early version of movie he used SSJ over Ultimate to fight Beerus which was later changed. The same way he appeared as SSJ Ultimate on poster. I guess that answers all the "Ultimate can't go SSJ" posts. I mean writers never really knew how to handle Ultimate Gohan before. It was implied that Gohan was Ultimate against Super 17 in GT as well, yet he turns SSJ. It wasn't until DBS where they kinda tried to settle this although it's still confusing.
Misplaced colouring in post-production doesn't really answer or mean anything, no matter how much the promo material screwed up, it was still corrected in the final product.
Ultimate can't go SS, that is his full power, not just his base full power, his entire full power: SS, SS2, SS3, SS-whatever at his fullest but in his powered-up base without drawbacks, it's not a base boost using up power from somewhere else and still leaving the SS well untouched for future use if needed to.

What was changed in DBS was it became distinguishable from his regular base with the bang fan-service-y thing, but in practice the form remained the same.
Gohan being ultimate in GT was never clearly implied and is just personal bias, any implication was out the window when he went SS and no comment or retcon was spoken.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 am

I love Gohan in Battle of the Gods because its the ultimate middle finger to Team Four Star's "Gohan was a neglected victim" narrative. Go and marvel at him being an even worse father than Goku ever was by having him harm his PREGNANT WIFE WITH A BULLET.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:01 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 am I love Gohan in Battle of the Gods because its the ultimate middle finger to Team Four Star's "Gohan was a neglected victim" narrative.
It’s like people forget Team Four Stars show is a parody series. “Wouldn’t it be funny if Gohan hated his dad because his dad was never around?” is the joke.

Go and marvel at him being an even worse father than Goku ever was by having him harm his PREGNANT WIFE WITH A BULLET.
Setting aside the obvious how are those mutually exclusive? Even if we pretend the “Gohan has abandonment issues from Goku leaving all the time” was anything other than a joke from a parody series Gohan being a dipshit adult wouldn’t undo the “Gohan is a neglected victim” narrative.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:04 am

I didnt forget thank you very much. I just think that its an unfunny, terrible, awful joke.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:54 am

I hate the whole "his Ultimate form is just a transformation" (which started as an anime idea in Z movie 13). It's not. In the manga and even the TV series, after he got his Ultimate power-up, he was drawn that way for the rest of the series (fully outlined eyes and spikier hair). After he died, was brought back, was unconscious, and even after the time skip.

I never had too much interest in Super, and have only seen the series (most of it) once. I can't recall if Gohan stays in his Ultimate form permanently after attaining it again (like he should), or if he transforms into it like in BoG and Z movie 13.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:09 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:04 am I didnt forget thank you very much. I just think that its an unfunny, terrible, awful joke.
That's right. Gohan is an unfunny, terrible, awful joke.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:32 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:54 am I never had too much interest in Super, and have only seen the series (most of it) once. I can't recall if Gohan stays in his Ultimate form permanently after attaining it again (like he should), or if he transforms into it like in BoG and Z movie 13.
After Gohan went Ultimate again against Piccolo in the lead up to the ToP, he never went Super Saiyan again.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:09 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:28 am Ultimate can't go SS
He went SSJ to give Goku energy during SSJ God ritual. Also in DBS manga he said he won't use SSJ against Kefla as he wants ot get stronger in different way. Which means he CAN go SSJ.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:43 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:09 am
Koitsukai wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:28 am Ultimate can't go SS
He went SSJ to give Goku energy during SSJ God ritual. Also in DBS manga he said he won't use SSJ against Kefla as he wants ot get stronger in different way. Which means he CAN go SSJ.
No, Gohan can go SS, Ultimate can't. That's why that dialogue with Kefla happened, that's why Buutenks wasn't defeated, that's why he used SS when sparring with Goku before finally going Ultimate, instead of the other way around, and that's why he used Ultimate to fight Beerus and not SS Ultimate, because SS Ultimate does not exist.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:58 pm

And in the anime continuity, Ultimate is a transformation. As far as we're all concerned, no one can use two transformations at the same time/on top of each other, rendering "Ultimate Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan Ultimate" as an impossibility.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:20 pm

What leads me to believe that it got messed up in post-production is the fact that he used SSJ in the ritual. It was a minor correction that served the idea that these characters were at their strongest and that they didn't remember Gohan's ultimate state. Even in game opening sequences, such as Budokai 3's against Meta Coola, adult Gohan fought transformed. The lasting impression is that SSJ is the strongest lowly form compared to what was going to be SSJ God for simplicity. The following media used the final cut of Battle of Gods to continue. Thus Gohan having SSJ to the side of Ultimate.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:39 pm

And Super does it look like this shape is a transformation when using the transition between her and the SSJ.

And there is still something bizarre, which are his two hairstyles. In BOG, except in the base form, it has its characteristic fringe (does it sprout or fall?) :lol:

In Super it is different, except Ultimate, everyone doesn't have bangs.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:17 am

All Gohan's designs in the modern Dragon Ball.