Kame dogi inconsistency

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Kame dogi inconsistency

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:05 pm

So in the long list of Dragon Ball art inconsistencies, I don't think I've seen this one brought up before:

When the Kame dogi was first used in the manga, Toriyama made it to be a 2-piece uniform as shown in chapters 33 and 41:

But then in chapter 52 we see Goku changes to Kuririn's dogi and now it looks like a 1-piece jumpsuit and it seems it stays this way as we see further ahead at chapter 98 at the tailor's shop:

Also checked chapter 134 to see how it was after the timeskip but couldn't get a clear look at it, but the way Goku puts it on I guess it's a 2-piece now:

And of course, once the characters reached adulthood the dogi was a 2-piece uniform like how it started.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Kame dogi inconsistency

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm

It’s an inconsistency. But I guess this one can be explained as “Krillin’s outfit was a 1 piece, while Goku’s was 2 for some strange reason” and it wouldn’t break any logic.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:10 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm It’s an inconsistency. But I guess this one can be explained as “Krillin’s outfit was a 1 piece, while Goku’s was 2 for some strange reason” and it wouldn’t break any logic.
I was considering that possibility, but I asked myself "Why would Muten Roshi bother making it like that instead of two identical outifts?"
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:23 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:10 pm
emperior wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm It’s an inconsistency. But I guess this one can be explained as “Krillin’s outfit was a 1 piece, while Goku’s was 2 for some strange reason” and it wouldn’t break any logic.
I was considering that possibility, but I asked myself "Why would Muten Roshi bother making it like that instead of two identical outifts?"
Who knows. He probably bought them, right? Maybe making a one piece was cheaper, or maybe Roshi just felt like it.
For sure it’s just Toriyama who forgot in that same panel that he had already drawn the dogi as a two pieces. But it’s not like this matters much, though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Maybe Goku's tail required some extra accomodations and Roshi had to go off model at first?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Look at that first image again: he knew the one piece could never hold a gut of THAT size!

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:40 pm

And isn’t the one Pan has a jumpsuit too?