Team Four Star's influence on Dragon Ball's revival

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Re: Team Four Star's influence on Dragon Ball's revival

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 pm Uh no, so people on YT in general aren't constantly dealing with the sword of Damocles that is copyright law hanging over their heads.
Not going to lie, this is a horrible argument for why the laws need changed. Youtubers aren't special, and the government has no obligation to amend laws to make life better for internet content creators.

Either way, with the copyright and parody thing clarified by Vegetto, I ask again, why do you think Youtubers should be exempt from current copyright laws, or seemingly that laws need to be amended so it can be a viable job for people who aren't making their content from scratch?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 pm
So no I don't think it's at all true that abridged has "Destroyed" anything, quite the contrary it's actually gotten people into the franchise
Neither of those things are mutually exclusive. DBZA has been both of those things.

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 pm

I think I can deal with a few people becoming fans through DBZA not becoming fans at all had DBZA not existed if it meant I don't have to see all these shithead annoying fanboys in every video or comment section I come across DB related. And I say this as a fan of their work, but the franchise has been big for decades, and would've continued to be so with or without Abridged. Now would DBZA be as popular were it not for DB's popularity? That's the real question
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:28 pm

Considering that DB has found an audience all over the world even when the internet was in its nascent stages, I think far too many people place too much importance on DBZA's impact. I don't think the number of people that got into DB because of DBZA moved the needle all that much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 am

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:24 pmNo one here as far as I know, but I have read PLENTY of arguments from even libertarians saying they should be done away with entirely.
AFAIK it’s only libertarians saying that. Considering the pros and cons of a certain restriction of natural human freedom is anathema to anarcho libertarians. So, while most people would consider IP laws on their merits (and more than just the economic ones), these guys, by their principles, must reject IP, because to them it is sin.

Their best defense is basically that the world wouldn’t end (this tends to be their brilliant defense of privatizing everything that exists) and art would not cease if IP was done away with. But if you dig deeper they will admit that obviously the landscape of professionally produced entertainment media would crash. Some would benefit, some would lose out. But since the state is sin for them, it’s like a moral imperative to oppose IP laws at all costs; anything built on sin does not deserve to exist, even if we like it.

The entertainment industry is an artifact of copyright law. If you take the shield of government enforcement away, it’s all over. To abolish copyright completely is not a tenable position for anyone who wants to avoid an end to film, animation, etc. It is a fact that a purely free market would never regenerate what we have now. Unless a person is in that certain sect of libertarianism, the comparative discomforts of IP law should be small potatoes beside what it has given us.

I think even loosening the law would be detrimental. The current status, where there is an unenforced gray area, is the imperfect but necessary compromise. TFS probably broke the law, and the law is okay with that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 am

Here’s something I don’t quite understand about Fair Use, if TFS violates Fair Use laws with their abridged series, fair enough, but then why exactly did South Park win its lawsuit over the use of lyrics of a song from YouTube?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... utt-334786
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:40 am

Zestanor wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 am
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:24 pmNo one here as far as I know, but I have read PLENTY of arguments from even libertarians saying they should be done away with entirely.
AFAIK it’s only libertarians saying that. Considering the pros and cons of a certain restriction of natural human freedom is anathema to anarcho libertarians. So, while most people would consider IP laws on their merits (and more than just the economic ones), these guys, by their principles, must reject IP, because to them it is sin.
Objections to intellectual property laws extend far beyond just libertarian and anarchist circles. And why wouldn't it? The idea that you can from now until the end of time own a story (a story which you based on earlier pre-existing work!) is ridiculous.
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 am Here’s something I don’t quite understand about Fair Use, if TFS violates Fair Use laws with their abridged series, fair enough, but then why exactly did South Park win its lawsuit over the use of lyrics of lyrics of a song from YouTube?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... utt-334786
Because intellectual property laws slant towards the wealthy and powerful. IP doesn't actually help creators. Just the giant conglomerates that take ownership of their work.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 pm
So no I don't think it's at all true that abridged has "Destroyed" anything, quite the contrary it's actually gotten people into the franchise
Neither of those things are mutually exclusive. DBZA has been both of those things.
You can't destroy something and bring more people into it at the same time so no.
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 pm Uh no, so people on YT in general aren't constantly dealing with the sword of Damocles that is copyright law hanging over their heads.
Not going to lie, this is a horrible argument for why the laws need changed. Youtubers aren't special, and the government has no obligation to amend laws to make life better for internet content creators.

Either way, with the copyright and parody thing clarified by Vegetto, I ask again, why do you think Youtubers should be exempt from current copyright laws, or seemingly that laws need to be amended so it can be a viable job for people who aren't making their content from scratch?
Not going to lie, this is a horrible post that totally disregards the numerous problems with the DMCA as a whole.

Um I NEVER once said that Youtubers should be "Exempt" from copyright laws, all I said was fair use needs to better, that's it. Maybe you could use a lesson in reading comprehension?

Also screw this notion that people that "make content from scratch" are inherently and automatically better content creators than people who do video essays that use footage. If you bothered to watch someone like Lindsay Ellis you would not be spouting asinine nonsense like that.
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:10 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:01 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:24 pm That's not really true, but okay, got it - individuals good, corporations bad. It doesn't matter if it's a big company or one person, people have a right to protect their IP, but not in perpetuity.
How many of the late 80s, early 90s animators are still at TOEI? How many of them are actually losing money because of some youtube parody?

This isn't individual good, corporation bad. It's "how can a group justify invoking copyright when they themselves had no role in creating the original product?"
They own it. IP is property and like any other piece of property is transferable.
You seriously don't think Fair Use needs any improvement at all? OK then
Big straw man argument there pal. And some have said Abridged is often not a parody. If that's the case, then this isn't a black and white matter.
Pretty much every post you've made on this thread reads like a "strawman argument"
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:22 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 am Not going to lie, this is a horrible post that totally disregards the numerous problems with the DMCA as a whole.
No one said they don't have problems, but when asked for why you think they need to change, your presented argument was "because it'll make life for Youtubers easier." Not only does that argument hold no actual weight behind it (legal or otherwise), but who the hell cares how hard it is to make a living on Youtube using copyrighted material you're actively not paying for?
Um I NEVER once said that Youtubers should be "Exempt" from copyright laws, all I said was fair use needs to better, that's it. Maybe you could use a lesson in reading comprehension?
No, you just heavily imply it with statements like the laws should change to benefit them or disregarding my previous question as to why you don't seem to think Youtubers should have to pay licensing fees to use copyrighted material (like characters, footage, music, etc) when everyone else has to.
Also screw this notion that people that "make content from scratch" are inherently and automatically better content creators than people who do video essays that use footage. If you bothered to watch someone like Lindsay Ellis you would not be spouting asinine nonsense like that.
A) No one is talking about or referring to video essays except you

B) Video essays unequivocally qualify for Fair Use as they usually serve the purpose of being educational, levying criticisms, and/or offering commentary, that's not applicable to the conversation being had

C) Screw the notion that making your own content from scratch is an objectively better practice than using someone else's copyrighted work without their permission? What?

D) I like how you assume I don't watch video essays just because I'm against the misuse or overuse of copyrighted material. Your whole argument against copyright laws and such (as displayed in this topic) comes off as "it impedes/threatens the kind of content I like, so I don't like it and if you liked the same content, you'd be against it too."

E) Lindsay Ellis is a prime example of how video essays should be done and likely what we'd see more of if for some reason channels like Full Fat Videos or Implicitly Pretentious start getting targeted for just being someone talking over a 20min of straight copyrighted footage. Unlike the other mentioned channels, she only brings in copyrighted content when a clip or scene is relevant to what she's trying to discuss or convey.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:22 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 am Not going to lie, this is a horrible post that totally disregards the numerous problems with the DMCA as a whole.
No one said they don't have problems, but when asked for why you think they need to change, your presented argument was "because it'll make life for Youtubers easier." Not only does that argument hold no actual weight behind it (legal or otherwise), but who the hell cares how hard it is to make a living on Youtube using copyrighted material you're actively not paying for?
No, you just heavily imply it with statements like the laws should change to benefit them or disregarding my previous question as to why you don't seem to think Youtubers should have to pay licensing fees to use copyrighted material (like characters, footage, music, etc) when everyone else has to.
A) No one is talking about or referring to video essays except you

B) Video essays unequivocally qualify for Fair Use as they usually serve the purpose of being educational, levying criticisms, and/or offering commentary, that's not applicable to the conversation being had

C) Screw the notion that making your own content from scratch is an objectively better practice than using someone else's copyrighted work without their permission? What?

D) I like how you assume I don't watch video essays just because I'm against the misuse or overuse of copyrighted material. Your whole argument against copyright laws and such (as displayed in this topic) comes off as "it impedes/threatens the kind of content I like, so I don't like it and if you liked the same content, you'd be against it too."

E) Lindsay Ellis is a prime example of how video essays should be done and likely what we'd see more of if for some reason channels like Full Fat Videos or Implicitly Pretentious start getting targeted for just being someone talking over a 20min of straight copyrighted footage. Unlike the other mentioned channels, she only brings in copyrighted content when a clip or scene is relevant to what she's trying to discuss or convey.
It's one reason but I never once claimed it was the ONLY reason, again reading comprehension is your friend, try using it sometime.

Another reason copyright law in general needs a major reform is that companies like Disney have gone out of control with lobbying to extend the copyright for works that should've fallen into public domain decades ago.

Nobody else is talking about letting Youtubers ignore copyright, only you brought that up, I like how you are totally and completely unaware of the hypocrisy in your own posts.

I never "implied" anything just cause you some random person on the internet claims I did, why don't you just admit you have no clue what are you actually talking about and stop with your one-man war against TFS? :yawn:

So you don't think anybody should be allowed to review movies on Youtube ever unless they use almost zero footage? Yeah no.

I care about making content creators lives easier because i've seen a lot of good talented folks on Youtube far too often get hurt by bullshit claims(Angry Joe's gotten a ton of them, manual ones too on his TV show and film reviews when all they are is free promotion and they most definitely are fair use)

Evidently you seem to be under the impression that doing content on Youtube is not a "real job" judging by your lousy attitude towards certain creators, sorry but i've seen too many hard-working creators lives frequently get upended by bogus copyright claims, you might be fine defending corporations striking down channels for no reason, but some of us actually want to speak out against this bullshit and I will continue to do so, and I will not buy into the nonsense that copyright law is totally fine the way it is when there's ample evidence to the contrary that it is not.

I care dammit, don't even try to feed me that bullshit "you didn't pay for it excuse", ignoring the fact that a lot of times content creators DID in fact pay for the films and TV shows they are reviewing, you're essentially presenting them an impossible task. You are very much going into boomer territory here and I won't have it.

Just because content creators don't work 9-5 in some office building does not mean it isn't a "real job"(and before you chime in with your predictable strawman "nobody's saying that but you response", you are heavily implying it).

Not a single one of your posts was remotely applicable to anything in this thread.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 am
You can't destroy something and bring more people into it at the same time so no.
Something can have both a detrimental effect and a positive effect. So yes.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:42 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 am It's one reason but I never once claimed it was the ONLY reason, again reading comprehension is your friend, try using it sometime.
When it's the sole reason given on multiple occasions when asked why the laws should change, you can't fault people for assuming that's your whole argument.
Another reason copyright law in general needs a major reform is that companies like Disney have gone out of control with lobbying to extend the copyright for works that should've fallen into public domain decades ago.
To this we can agree. To make things easier for online content creators to get away with using excessive amounts of copyrighted material, not so much. This reasoning is also irrelevant to why the laws should change in a way that benefits Youtubers like TFS.
Nobody else is talking about letting Youtubers ignore copyright, only you brought that up, I like how you are totally and completely unaware of the hypocrisy in your own posts.
You explicitly said "There is no reason why youtubers should HAVE to pay companies that created the piece of media just because they use footage from it in a video." Holy shit. That's basically what copyright laws are for; ensuring that people who want to use someone else's IP are getting permission (read: purchasing a usage license) to do so. Everyone else has to pay licensing fees to use copyrighted material, so why shouldn't Youtubers have to?
I never "implied" anything just cause you some random person on the internet claims I did, why don't you just admit you have no clue what are you actually talking about and stop with your one-man war against TFS? :yawn:
Refer above to where you explicitly said it, so I was wrong, you didn't just imply it, you did straight up say it.

Also, "one-man war against TFS" that's cute. Did you already forget the very first thing I said to you in this topic? Also, "one-man war" implies I'm the only one who has taken the stance that they were legally in the wrong, which I'm absolutely not.
So you don't think anybody should be allowed to review movies on Youtube ever unless they use almost zero footage? Yeah no.
You seem to think these kinds of videos are 100% dependent on getting to show excessive amounts of footage from a given work. As if TV based movie reviewers didn't make a living for 20-30 years using little to no copyrighted footage whatsoever. *cough*Roger Ebert*cough* However did they do it?
I care about making content creators lives easier because i've seen a lot of good talented folks on Youtube far too often get hurt by bullshit claims
Let's be frank here, why does it remotely matter at all if Youtube is a viable career platform? Especially for people whose content is entirely reliant on other using people's content?
Evidently you seem to be under the impression that doing content on Youtube is not a "real job" judging by your lousy attitude towards certain creators
I've expressed no opinion whatsoever on whether I think Youtube is a real job, nor on Youtubers as a whole, I've solely taken a stances that A) Team FourStar and other abridgers are not in the right when it comes to the legality of their content and B) they're not special in any way and should have to pay licensing fees for using copyrighted material just like everyone else.
you might be fine defending corporations striking down channels for no reason
There's a difference between "no reason" and "keeps using copyrighted material after being repeatedly told to stop." It's not that damn hard to understand. It's just Youtubers seem to think that everything and anything they can think to throw on Youtube short of full unedited episodes/movies/music tracks falls under "Fair Use" (which, as Vegetto explained is a drastic misunderstanding of what "Fair Use" actually is) and just keep insisting on doing what keeps getting them in trouble.
Just because content creators don't work 9-5 in some office building does not mean it isn't a "real job"(and before you chime in with your predictable strawman "nobody's saying that but you response", you are heavily implying it).
My "predictable strawman" being something I said once before in relation to you constantly bringing up video essays in a conversation about TFS's copyright violations (you know, an unrelated topic).

You know, for someone who accused Abed of constantly using strawman arguments (even though the only thing close to a strawman argument he's said in this whole thread was his questioning whether your opposition to copyright laws was due to your biases of being a fan of the content under threat, which you've yet to prove isn't the case), you sure like to use it a lot instead of explaining why your stances on the subject are sound and backed by facts instead of personal biases.
Last edited by Zeon_Grunt on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:20 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 amPretty much every post you've made on this thread reads like a "strawman argument"
If your response is going to be "no, you're using a strawman", "No, you're using a strawman argument," then this isn't interesting. I get why you might think that I don't think there's any issues with copyright laws based on that one comment, but if you had read a few comments further you would've seen that I do think there is room for improvement. IP protection is an enormously complex issue that even if we all agreed that there should be IP protection, it's not immediately obvious what the best way(s) to implement them are.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:11 am

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:28 pm Considering that DB has found an audience all over the world even when the internet was in its nascent stages, I think far too many people place too much importance on DBZA's impact. I don't think the number of people that got into DB because of DBZA moved the needle all that much.
From what I’ve seen most people who never heard of/bothered with Dragon Ball Z until they watched DBZA didn’t start watching Dragon Ball Z they’re just content to watch the abridged series.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:49 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 am
Something can have both a detrimental effect and a positive effect. So yes.
I've yet to see any real evidence that DBZA has in any way had a "detrimental effect".
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:42 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 am It's one reason but I never once claimed it was the ONLY reason, again reading comprehension is your friend, try using it sometime.
When it's the sole reason given on multiple occasions when asked why the laws should change, you can't fault people for assuming that's your whole argument.
To this we can agree. To make things easier for online content creators to get away with using excessive amounts of copyrighted material, not so much. This reasoning is also irrelevant to why the laws should change in a way that benefits Youtubers like TFS.
You explicitly said "There is no reason why youtubers should HAVE to pay companies that created the piece of media just because they use footage from it in a video." Holy shit. That's basically what copyright laws are for; ensuring that people who want to use someone else's IP are getting permission (read: purchasing a usage license) to do so. Everyone else has to pay licensing fees to use copyrighted material, so why shouldn't Youtubers have to?
Refer above to where you explicitly said it, so I was wrong, you didn't just imply it, you did straight up say it.

Also, "one-man war against TFS" that's cute. Did you already forget the very first thing I said to you in this topic? Also, "one-man war" implies I'm the only one who has taken the stance that they were legally in the wrong, which I'm absolutely not.
You seem to think these kinds of videos are 100% dependent on getting to show excessive amounts of footage from a given work. As if TV based movie reviewers didn't make a living for 20-30 years using little to no copyrighted footage whatsoever. *cough*Roger Ebert*cough* However did they do it?
I care about making content creators lives easier because i've seen a lot of good talented folks on Youtube far too often get hurt by bullshit claims
Let's be frank here, why does it remotely matter at all if Youtube is a viable career platform? Especially for people whose content is entirely reliant on other using people's content?
Evidently you seem to be under the impression that doing content on Youtube is not a "real job" judging by your lousy attitude towards certain creators
I've expressed no opinion whatsoever on whether I think Youtube is a real job, nor on Youtubers as a whole, I've solely taken a stances that A) Team FourStar and other abridgers are not in the right when it comes to the legality of their content and B) they're not special in any way and should have to pay licensing fees for using copyrighted material just like everyone else.
you might be fine defending corporations striking down channels for no reason
There's a difference between "no reason" and "keeps using copyrighted material after being repeatedly told to stop." It's not that damn hard to understand. It's just Youtubers seem to think that everything and anything they can think to throw on Youtube short of full unedited episodes/movies/music tracks falls under "Fair Use" (which, as Vegetto explained is a drastic misunderstanding of what "Fair Use" actually is) and just keep insisting on doing what keeps getting them in trouble.
My "predictable strawman" being something I said once before in relation to you constantly bringing up video essays in a conversation about TFS's copyright violations (you know, an unrelated topic).

You know, for someone who accused Abed of constantly using strawman arguments (even though the only thing close to a strawman argument he's said in this whole thread was his questioning whether your opposition to copyright laws was due to your biases of being a fan of the content under threat, which you've yet to prove isn't the case), you sure like to use it a lot instead of explaining why your stances on the subject are sound and backed by facts instead of personal biases.
Yes I can fault you when you clearly aren't doing reading comprehension.

It's not "irrelevant" at all, copyright law as it is is a complete mess in general and anyone that thinks it's totally fine just the way it is is either a higher-up at a big company or isn't paying close enough attention.

Because genius "everyone else" can actually AFFORD to pay said licensing costs, youtubers cannot, apparently you don't seem to know what Fair Use is, and no copyright laws are not meant to be used as a weapon to strike down some random person's youtube channel, they're meant to stop people from flat out illegally selling and profiting from someone else's IP altogether(and by that I mean uploading full episodes and movies on Youtube unaltered just so we're clear)

If you had your way a big chunk of popular reviewing channels would be gone, you might be OK with that but most of the rest of us are not.

The way you've carried yourself certainly implies you think less of certain people on Youtube just because they use footage from other properties(Even if they are just reviewing it and talking about it).

Fact is videos on Youtube discussing other IPs act as free publicity, some companies are smart enough to know this and don't bother striking down certain videos(Most game publishers are like that, Activision and EA aren't likely to take down LPs of their games since LPs will more than likely encourage people to go out and buy their games, hell Skate 3 actually ended up getting reprinted because of popular demand as a direct result of PewDiePie's highly viewed LP of that game)but some companies(mostly those in Japan, I remember when those morons at Sega of Japan went fucking nuts and nuked EVERY single video with "Shining Force" in it's title, even though that were just talking about the game without using a single scrap of footage, and they did this just so they would show up higher on search results for Shining Force, some channels NEVER recovered from that bullshit carpet bombing and that's when I stopped feeling sorry for big companies whining about people using footage from their IPs) haven't gotten the memo yet and insist nobody should ever be allowed to do videos on their stuff.

It matters because not EVERYONE has a 9-5 job like you do, this is exactly where the notion that you think it's "not a real job" to be a content creator on Youtube comes from, with nonsense like that. So what if people make videos that use footage from others content? What is so wrong with that? The way you talk about it, you act like content creators are robbing a bank or something. Besides i've seen creators themselves happily promoting positive videos of their works(Todd in the Shadows for example i've seen multiple musicians praise his One Hit Wonderland videos)so the artists themselves aren't usually a problem, it's the companies they are part of that are the problem, and sorry but i'm not going to feel sorry for billion dollar companies or stan for them like you apparently are eager to do. :x

You've done absolutely nothing to back up your own arguments and you most definitely do not have facts on your side either, so it is you who is engaging in strawman arguments here :roll:

On the topic of TFS specifically, Toei has had so little respect for their own properties over the years(as I mentioned in another thread, they are the main culprit behind the 4Kids dub of One Piece being so poor) that I definitely do not think they are in the right to striking down TFS. Funimation meanwhile actually have their heads on straight and know better than to go after TFS cause they know DBZA is free publicity. I have zero sympathy for Toei whatsoever.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 pm

There's a good chance that DBZA is by the letter of the law not on the up and up and yet it doesn't get taken down for PR reasons and it's not worth the cost of litigation.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:45 pm

LMAO at the man babies trying to say TFS should be legal based solely on their emotions. I enjoyed TFS, but I’m able to look at the world objectively. And it’s not legal. Understandably so. Keep you’re uppity nonsense out of here.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:17 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:45 pm LMAO at the man babies trying to say TFS should be legal based solely on their emotions. I enjoyed TFS, but I’m able to look at the world objectively. And it’s not legal. Understandably so. Keep you’re uppity nonsense out of here.
I think it's clear who the real "man-baby" is here-Zeon, as he is sounding like a straight-up Gamergater with his last post on this thread:viewtopic.php?p=1637820#p1637820

Also you might want to avoid using the term "uppity" on here in the future since it has inherently racist connotations:https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/335160/

Also it's not based on emotions, it's based on damn facts, if Funimation is fine with TFS I see zero reason why what they're doing is wrong.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:23 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 pm There's a good chance that DBZA is by the letter of the law not on the up and up and yet it doesn't get taken down for PR reasons and it's not worth the cost of litigation.
That would be the most likely reason i can think of as to why TFS hasn't gotten hit with copyright infringement claims or had lawsuits filed against them for the Abridged videos, because the parties/licensor (FUNimation.etc) don't feel it would be worth the cost that taking them to court over it would entail and thus do not pursue the matter on a legal level.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:39 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:23 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 pm There's a good chance that DBZA is by the letter of the law not on the up and up and yet it doesn't get taken down for PR reasons and it's not worth the cost of litigation.
That would be the most likely reason i can think of as to why TFS hasn't gotten hit with copyright infringement claims or had lawsuits filed against them for the Abridged videos, because the parties/licensor (FUNimation.etc) don't feel it would be worth the cost that taking them to court over it would entail and thus do not pursue the matter
on a legal level.
Tacit consent from the IP owner is basically the reason why fan works exist in the first place. You have these huge fan comic events in Japan and Japan actually has stricter copy right laws. Which is another thing, it's not Funimation that they need to worry about so much as Toei. If the IP owners don't like what is being done with their property, they can very well put an end to it.