Is it time to accept Faulconer OST did it better than the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Is it time to accept Faulconer OST did it better than the original?

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 pm

VanceRefrigeration wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:45 pm I think you meant that they're remixes of "Serious Suspense" and "Evil Suspense". And the second link doesn't seem to work, but this is probably what you meant to link: https://youtu.be/bh0ve7jhcDw?t=280
Blast... You're right. Those were all tracks made earlier than what was listed in the DBZ Volumes on Faulconer's channel.

...Just goes to show how little work Faulconer himself actually did, I suppose.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:37 pm
Wow, thanks! I had idea I was forgetting this many.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 am

There are definitely some standout tracks, and its implementation is often much worse than the music on its own. Still, English Dragon Ball and Japanese Dragon Ball are two different beasts entirely. You can't really say that the Faulconer music is better than the Kikuchi music as they were responsible for the soundtracks to essentially two different shows. Faulconer works for the dub, Kikuchi works for the original.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 am There are definitely some standout tracks, and its implementation is often much worse than the music on its own. Still, English Dragon Ball and Japanese Dragon Ball are two different beasts entirely. You can't really say that the Faulconer music is better than the Kikuchi music as they were responsible for the soundtracks to essentially two different shows. Faulconer works for the dub, Kikuchi works for the original.
Eh, I’d agree if it was a situation like Robotech, where they took the anime and story elements from different anime to essentially create something new. Funimation doesn’t really have that same excuse. They presented the show as Dragon Ball Z and kept on “reversioning” the show LONG after it had fallen out of fashion with most companies. When they separated from Saban, that would have been a golden opportunity to start fresh, but they didn’t take it. Hell, even the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon started to use the Japanese ost. And I can’t believe I’m defending that dub! :lol:

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:05 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 am
JustAlex1997 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 am There are definitely some standout tracks, and its implementation is often much worse than the music on its own. Still, English Dragon Ball and Japanese Dragon Ball are two different beasts entirely. You can't really say that the Faulconer music is better than the Kikuchi music as they were responsible for the soundtracks to essentially two different shows. Faulconer works for the dub, Kikuchi works for the original.
Eh, I’d agree if it was a situation like Robotech, where they took the anime and story elements from different anime to essentially create something new. Funimation doesn’t really have that same excuse. They presented the show as Dragon Ball Z and kept on “reversioning” the show LONG after it had fallen out of fashion with most companies. When they separated from Saban, that would have been a golden opportunity to start fresh, but they didn’t take it. Hell, even the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon started to use the Japanese ost. And I can’t believe I’m defending that dub! :lol:
The tone, characters' personalities, etc. are so far removed from what was originally intended that watching the English dub of Dragon Ball Z leaves you with very little knowledge of the series. For that reason, they might as well have completely changed the story (especially as they partially did anyway with things like, "your father was an average fighter, but he was a brilliant scientist").

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:06 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 am [When they separated from Saban, that would have been a golden opportunity to start fresh, but they didn’t take it. Hell, even the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon started to use the Japanese ost. And I can’t believe I’m defending that dub! :lol:
The Pioneer dub of the movies gave Funimation a golden opportunity to segue into a more faithful dub. There was already a precedent set for a faithful dub with the Kikuchi score aired on Toonami in lightly edited form. The excuses people have made for Funimation when Pioneer showed them it could be done right and they were no longer bound by Saban’s puritanical censorship have always been ridiculous.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:06 am
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 am [When they separated from Saban, that would have been a golden opportunity to start fresh, but they didn’t take it. Hell, even the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon started to use the Japanese ost. And I can’t believe I’m defending that dub! :lol:
The Pioneer dub of the movies gave Funimation a golden opportunity to segue into a more faithful dub. There was already a precedent set for a faithful dub with the Kikuchi score aired on Toonami in lightly edited form. The excuses people have made for Funimation when Pioneer showed them it could be done right and they were no longer bound by Saban’s puritanical censorship have always been ridiculous.
Wasn’t the initial plan to create two versions? One that was Saban’s version and one that would have been uncut and more accurate to appeal to the older crowd? I wonder what happened with that? Was it the Funi spit from Saban?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:41 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:14 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:06 am
Wasn’t the initial plan to create two versions? One that was Saban’s version and one that would have been uncut and more accurate to appeal to the older crowd? I wonder what happened with that? Was it the Funi spit from Saban?
Fukanaga and Watson were talking about creating two versions back in the Saban days, yeah. Saying the uncut version would be the same as the Japanese version only in English. The closest we got to that was Tree of Might’s dual versions.

I don’t know why parting ways with Saban would put the kibosh on these supposed plans. After season 2 the episodes were released uncut on home video first and then aired edited for broadcast its just they were pretty much the exact same; badly mangled dub with dumb jokes, shitty voice acting, and an obnoxious blaring replacement score that wouldn’t stop playing for 2 seconds.

Seems like Fukanaga and Watson were always blowing smoke to appease the purist fans they were talking to. Maybe they figured releasing the Japanese uncut subtitle release was good enough and there was no point in creating two wildly different dubs. Given how cheap and penny pinching Funimation was especially after season 2 it would make sense to try to maintain consistency with the Saban approved seasons that did well on Toonami and not bother spending money for a faithful dub. Season 3 ended up being the first two seasons on steroids with a worse cast.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:21 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 am
I'll gladly defend the Cloverway dub, it's not as nostalgic for me as the DiC dub(mainly because some of the voice-acting is worse like Serena) but I still enjoyed it well enough. Aside from the whole "cousins" thing there wasn't too much that made me cringe dialogue wise.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:55 pm

The unintentional comedy of how often they used the word cousins is a goldmine itself.

“This is my cousin Michelle who is my cousin because we are cousins that is what we are we are cousins.”

“wow so you’re cousins?”

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:55 pm The unintentional comedy of how often they used the word cousins is a goldmine itself.

“This is my cousin Michelle who is my cousin because we are cousins that is what we are we are cousins.”

“wow so you’re cousins?”
Man, they sure tried their hardest to cover up the whole lesbian/lovers thing as much as possible even as absurd and laughable as said re writes were. Even when the animation of them getting all touchy feely and too close for comfort as "cousins" so obviously gives it away. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:09 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:55 pm The unintentional comedy of how often they used the word cousins is a goldmine itself.

“wow so you’re cousins?”
Man, they sure tried their hardest to cover up the whole lesbian/lovers thing as much as possible even as absurd and laughable as said re writes were. Even when the animation of them getting all touchy feely and too close for comfort as "cousins" so obviously gives it away. :lol:
Indeed, i'm sure that was Cloverway's way of rebelling against what had to be a network mandate to not show "gay" stuff.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:55 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:05 am The tone, characters' personalities, etc. are so far removed from what was originally intended that watching the English dub of Dragon Ball Z leaves you with very little knowledge of the series. For that reason, they might as well have completely changed the story (especially as they partially did anyway with things like, "your father was an average fighter, but he was a brilliant scientist").
This is what I mean whenever I mention how it was one of the first few anime to switch the mainstream importation process from adaptations into dubs. Doesn’t matter what underground proper channels you had back then either.
The transition clearly wasn’t a smooth one though and elements of adaptations still largely remained.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:59 am

Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu May 14, 2020 4:29 pm

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun May 17, 2020 5:53 pm

Now that I've thought more on the subject, I pretty much understand what people are saying and why the original is fine for DB and even Z (even if certain placements could have been better). Just looking at the animation of the original series once again, as well as re-examining Toriyama's style, most things of a different kind from Kikuchi's work for the show wouldn't actually work with the atmosphere and setting of the verse. Because, and let's remember Toriyama's background for writing DB was mainly comedy, the series itself doesn't exactly have as much "depth" when compared to a lot of the media that would indeed have more elaborate material for their OST's, so it doesn't quite warrant said material.
It works especially best with early DBZ, maybe because it wasn't too far from DB, but some music placements for later in the show are iffy. Despite that however it's ultimately the actual fitting BGM. Anything more complex would distort the show's essence or just feel out of place somehow.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm

Lmfao jesus christ

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Honestly, a replacement score would've been just fine for Dragon Ball in the 90s if FUNimation were fully on board with making it like a 1970s kung fu flick first and foremost. They could easily have gotten away with introducing electronic and rock aspects to it because it's not like that's something foreign to kung fu movies, even of that time (most notably Master of the Flying Guillotine, which even used krautrock!).

They couldn't even accomplish that.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.