I kinda wished Goku was more hickish in the Dub.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

I kinda wished Goku was more hickish in the Dub.

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 pm

Hey guys! Kinda bored and I wanted to make a topic haha I kinda wished Goku was more hickish in the series than what he actually is. I live in Kentucky. I'mma hick, redneck, hillbiilly, country bumpkin, and whatever else you'd like to say. :lol: I am proud of it. Just don't call me that in person! :x :P but in the series, Goku is always protrayed as this backwoods guy(which granted, he is) but sometimes when you listen to him in the dub i kinda don't get that at all. Now i'm not asking for him to come out in overalls and every other way possible to drive home that he is. But I think it would have been better if Funimation would have went the extra mile and actually have Goku every once in a while let his country slip out a bit with a yuns(What are yuns into today?) or What are ya'll into? Maybe a "I reckon" too! Haha Just stuff like that would have been great. Not long ago I bought a figure of Kid Goku that was released for the Jump 30th anniversary I think? Anyways, It has Kid Goku in overalls with his tail poking out the back and I loved it! Idk though...What are ya'lls :P thoughts on this?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: I kinda wished Goku was more hickish in the Dub.

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm

I was just talking about this in another thread actually, I do wonder what Goku would've been like with a southern accent. Just thought of him talking like a character on Hee Haw makes me laugh :lol:

Someone should totally do that on Youtube(and if someone already has please send me a link).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 pm

As far as I could tell, Goku is meant to be slightly immature, a manchild. He doesn't really have a hick mind, even if he grew up in the country without understanding of an urban environment or of urban society.

And can you imagine DB's dub with a hillbilly hero? It'd be like a FourStar dub, completely insane and absurd. Oh shucks doggone dad plumb dagnabit.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm I was just talking about this in another thread actually, I do wonder what Goku would've been like with a southern accent. Just thought of him talking like a character on Hee Haw makes me laugh :lol:

Someone should totally do that on Youtube(and if someone already has please send me a link).
Duuuuuuuuuude. I have a very strong southern accent but you're out of your mind if you think you're gonna get me to do that. LOL
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:08 pm

"Got dang it gohan! Nows' now time to be a lily likcer! Now get out there and kick cell's ass! I tell you HUH-wat"

i mean... id watch it

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:14 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:08 pm "Got dang it gohan! Nows' now time to be a lily likcer! Now get out there and kick cell's ass! I tell you HUH-wat"

i mean... id watch it
Man, i can't even begin to visualize Goku talking like Hank Hill. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:19 pm

So kinda like Non Toyoguchi in "Keijo". Haven't watched the scene in Japanese, so don't know what it's like there, not that I can spot different Japanese accents. Will say, while she didn't give Chi-Chi one, Cynthia Cranz has a pretty Southern accent. THough with how Chi-Chi is, a mix of New York and Yiddish would fit betteh, Bubeleh.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Now I wanna take king of the hill audio and dub it into dvd.

"god dang it bobby''

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 am

I don't know if I could take Goku seriously with a Southern accent in an English dub. Dropping an "ain't'" every now and then is a lot better than having a voice actor doing an accent.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:17 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 am I don't know if I could take Goku seriously with a Southern accent in an English dub.
that may have worked well for it then, let dbz keep some gag roots

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 pm

"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 pm

Hahahahahahaha! I didn't mean that bad! haha I just meant a couple slang words here and there. Jeeez hahaha
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:12 am

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 pm
Hahahahahahaha! I didn't mean that bad! haha I just meant a couple slang words here and there. Jeeez hahaha
https://youtu.be/dmfKiXOsH1Q